Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2024 6:31:33 AM EDT
Hi folks

Have an old TA01NSN, want to add a red dot on top, where to source the mount and which (affordable) red dot to get / what size dot?

Or am I better off getting an off set mount and adding a compact red dot the that?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon RM35 for the mount, RMR RM02 for the dot. Not cheap, but solid setup.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#2]
When you say “old”, how old are we talking? Old enough it doesn’t have the built in mounting lugs?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
When you say “old”, how old are we talking? Old enough it doesn’t have the built in mounting lugs?
View Quote

I think 2008- the tritium is not as strong. But the unit does have the iron BUIS 'horn'
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tiger222:

I think 2008- the tritium is not as strong. But the unit does have the iron BUIS 'horn'
View Quote

The mounting bosses are what counts. Jhon is spot on!

I have 45* and top mount combos. While I’m able to shoot the 45* better, I also think the top mount is more robust and streamlined. It’s also more night vision friendly if that matters to you.

You will be limited to the RMR pattern with the top mount but there are plenty of options. One thing I would advise is watching cost ratio. If you look at a cheap Sig or Vortex Aimpoint style clone they run about $100-$150. That’s justifiable when a real T2 is $700.

Yet Holosun RMR pattern red dots run $250-$400 for a Chinese red dot, when you can pick up RMR’s for $400-$550. The RMR may have a little more tint to it, but you know you’re getting the absolute toughest MRDS made. For me personally I think it’s crazy how many people are unwilling to spend that little bit extra for the RMR. Not many cheap MRDS with good reputations cheaper than those.

Plus, you already have the top dog prism sight, why not top it off similarly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#5]
The Holosun 508T is better in every way than the RMR.

That’s why we buy it.  I’m not going to reward Trijicon for sitting on their butts while Holosun releases 10 innovative new products for every one minor upgrade Trijicon over charges for.

The 508T has

A more intelligent battery design and relacement
Solar backup
A better reticle - dot / circle / circle dot
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

All at a lower price!!!!!

Stop with the fake patriotism.  You are probably reading this on a smartphone made overseas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:08:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#6]
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:

That’s why we buy it.  I’m not going to reward Trijicon for sitting on their butts while Holosun releases 10 innovative new products for every one minor upgrade Trijicon over charges for.

The 508T has

Solar backup
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

Stop with the fake patriotism.  You are probably reading this on a smartphone made overseas.
View Quote

Who is we? Are you multiple people? Is that why you’re so emotional?

False patriotism? Sounds like some liberal buzzword shit but let me address that politely: I did not say Holosun is bad nor did I even say Chinese made stuff is bad. I questioned why Holosun, of any and all Chinese made products, is the only Chinese manufacturer that gets away with charging US made prices.

For comparison, the only US made smart phone costs 2-3X more than the top tier iPhones and Androids.

ETA: I have the same criticism of Olight to a lesser degree and most Olight owners use the same “you just hate communism” logic. The reality is companies like Olight and Holosun are actually genius. Aggressive marketing in combination with flashy features that are of little benefit effectively convince people there’s no issue paying 4X what it cost the manufacturer to make.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]

That's why we buy it.  I'm not going to reward Trijicon for sitting on their butts while Holosun releases 10 innovative new products for every one minor upgrade Trijicon over charges for.

The 508T has

Solar backup
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

View Quote
this post is so full of shit , just stop

if you like your holosun that's fine , use it and enjoy it

fake patriotism , take a look in the mirror

better in every way than an rmr , GTFOH

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:37:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#8]
We means lots of people buy them.  They are literally running laps around Trijicon.

Fine.  If you love paying more for an inferior product, do it.  You were the one that said people who don’t buy RMRs are crazy.  I explained it clearly and you still don’t get it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
this post is so full of shit , just stop

if you like your holosun that's fine , use it and enjoy it

fake patriotism , take a look in the mirror

better in every way than an rmr , GTFOH

View Quote

Instead of being a fanboy, address my points one by one.  I’ll bet you can’t.  You GTFOH.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]

The 508T has

Solar backup
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

View Quote

I think nearly every one of those features makes it less reliable and more prone to failure.

I've never had a rmr lose zero when changing the battery.  I don't want a tray or extra screw to break.

A solar backup is a gimmick. It's extra electronics. Pretty much everyone changes their battery every year any ways.

Extra dots equal nothing for me. I just one one simple dot.

Please explain how rmr controls are more complicated.

Shake awake. Another gimmick I don't want.

Clearer glass? Meh. Put the dot on the threat. I can put tape on an rmr and be happy.

Titanium housing. Cool dude. I guess.

I'm not even completely anti China optics. Im still testing out a Primary Arms 3x micro prism that I love but I'll quickly go right back to an aimpoint if/when it fails. I also don't claim they are better than acogs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
We means lots of people buy them.  They are literally running laps around Trijicon.

Fine.  If you love paying more for an inferior product, do it.  You were the one that said people who don’t buy RMRs are crazy.  I explained it clearly and you still don’t get it.
View Quote

Inferior? Prove it. Aaron Cowan speaks highly of Holosun but still says the RMR is king of reliability. I don’t know anyone else who’s tested more. And worthless features like titanium housings, auto off, and solar back up don’t count for anything.

Enjoy your Holosuns. But don’t mistake your opinion for fact and get offended that they are making astronomical profits by pricing Chinese made products at damn near US made prices. Let me remind you again I never said Holosun is bad. I said they charge too much for Chinese made products and no matter how mad you get, my opinion on that won’t change.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#12]
Mount

RMR

I have rifles with acogs with the Trijicon mount / RMR

I've also put the Chinese copies on another rifle I have with an acog... I think the Trijicon is pretty drop proof. The Chinese stuff is likely to break, when dropped the wrong way, in that piggy back configuration. Especially the cheap ass mount, but the round or square vs concave optic design matters more in this application IMO.

The cheapest pot metal forged by slave labor of China mount

Villain 507CX2 is the China RMR knock off with the same mounting footprint.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Instead of being a fanboy, address my points one by one.  I'll bet you can't.  You GTFOH.
View Quote
am i a trijicon fanboi or rmr fanboi  

A more intelligent battery design and relacement --- i don't think trijicon or holosun design or make battery's , if your referring to being able to replace the battery without removing the sight i don't see that as a positive , it may be more convenient but for me it's a moving part with a seal on the exposed side of the optic , just something else to break/go bad.  if by more intelligent you meant for convenience/ease of use i would agree but if you meant it's more durable i would disagree

Solar backup --- why would you need a solar backup on a red dot sight with a battery life of years , again just more shit to break/go bad

A better reticle dot / circle / circle dot --- subjective but i don't see the need for anything but a dot , little dot big dot whatever works best for your eyes.  the only advantage i've seen with the circle/circle dot reticle is for shooters new to red dots on handguns , it helps with learning correct presentation

Easier to use controls --- now i've never used a holosun 508t but i have seen pictures on the internet of one.  how are those 2 little buttons easier to use than the big buttons on an rmr ?  they look like a fun time with gloves on , especially at night shooting under nods

Shake awake --- same as the solor backup like above , why would i need shake awake on a red dot with a battery life in years.  just more electronics to shit the bed

Clearer glass --- this should not matter if your shooting fundamentals are good.  cover the front window of your red dot sight with some tape and go shoot the gun

Titanium housing --- is it the metal or the overall design and shape that would make a more durable housing

i think you forgot to add that impressive IP67 rating that the 508t has to your list , i wonder what the rating on an rmr is

with your fake patriotism remark i think you automatically thought this was a china thing.  i don't care who made the optic or where it was made if it's a good product.  all of these sales gimmicks being added to optics , especially mini red dots , don't make them a better or more durable optic generally.  but hell with a 10 to 1 ratio of innovative things they bring to the market i'm sure the guy's over at trijicon are already in process of closing down the rmr division cause they're just not edgy or innovative enough , damn lazy americans

i know you bet i couldn't because those were some real doozy points you laid out but please see my responses and correct them if you think i'm wrong.  and i do apologize , i notice i forgot to add "with all due respect" in front of my GTFOH  and i seem to have hurt your feelings but if your going to jump into a thread and the first line of your post is "The Holosun 508T is better in every way than the RMR." and then it just gets worse from there be prepared for someone to call you out on it

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:22:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#14]
A more intelligent battery design and relacement --- i don't think trijicon or holosun design or make battery's , if your referring to being able to replace the battery without removing the sight i don't see that as a positive , it may be more convenient but for me it's a moving part with a seal on the exposed side of the optic , just something else to break/go bad.  if by more intelligent you meant for convenience/ease of use i would agree but if you meant it's more durable i would disagree

I have owned 4 RMRs.  Even on factory Trijicon mounts, they need to be rezero'd after you remove them.  There are plenty of grid down scenarios where you may not have the chance to get to the range.  This is HUGE.  I don't see how you can minimize this and keep a straight face.  

Solar backup --- why would you need a solar backup on a red dot sight with a battery life of years , again just more shit to break/go bad

If you run your dot at a high setting necessary for outdoors, the battery life goes down for both sights.  Think of it like your BUIS for a dot sight.  Redundancy is never bad.

A better reticle dot / circle / circle dot --- subjective but i don't see the need for anything but a dot , little dot big dot whatever works best for your eyes.  the only advantage i've seen with the circle/circle dot reticle is for shooters new to red dots on handguns , it helps with learning correct presentation

Wrong.  The circle / dot is much faster on at close range.  It allows you to find your dot faster particularly in bright outdoor light or a dynamic environment.  Eotech has proven a circle / dot is faster for CQB and based their entire business model on this.  

Easier to use controls --- now i've never used a holosun 508t but i have seen pictures on the internet of one.  how are those 2 little buttons easier to use than the big buttons on an rmr ?  they look like a fun time with gloves on , especially at night shooting under nods

You have never used 508T.  If you did, you would know.

Shake awake --- same as the solor backup like above , why would i need shake awake on a red dot with a battery life in years.  just more electronics to shit the bed

Nope.  See the comments above.  There are plenty of reasons why you could end up with a low battery.  The shake awake is not failing on Holosuns.  Show me one case of this happening.  Anything electronic can fail.  But, modern electronics overall has a low failure rate overall.

Clearer glass --- this should not matter if your shooting fundamentals are good.  cover the front window of your red dot sight with some tape and go shoot the gun

Really?  Clearer glass is not important?  This statement shows me how brainwashed you are.  They put the tint on the RMR glass so they could drive the LED with less current and conserve battery life.  The RMR is an old design and tinted glass that is hard to see through is not an advantage.  Cover your optic?  If you really had knowledge of optics, you would know in your example that covering any optic will give you a POI shift due to Phoria.  This happens even on an uncovered optic in low light.  Clearer glass minimizes this.  

Titanium housing --- is it the metal or the overall design and shape that would make a more durable housing

Both.  

You remind me of a person stubbornly buying an AMC Pacer in the 1980s because you think "made in Japan" is still a thing.  In the meantime, Toyota and Honda are conquering the world.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The ECOS is what led to mounting RMRs on all my 4X optics (ACOGs &Elcans)...I just recently swapped out this stock RMR, that came w/the ECOS, in favor of RMR w/an adjustable dimmer.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]

I have owned 4 RMRs.  Even on factory Trijicon mounts, they need to be rezero'd after you remove them.  There are plenty of grid down scenarios where you may not have the chance to get to the range.  This is HUGE.  I don't see how you can minimize this and keep a straight face.  

If you run your dot at a high setting necessary for outdoors, the battery life goes down for both sights.  Think of it like your BUIS for a dot sight.  Redundancy is never bad.

Wrong.  The circle / dot is much faster on at close range.  It allows you to find your dot faster particularly in bright outdoor light or a dynamic environment.  Eotech has proven a circle / dot is faster for CQB and based their entire business model on this.  

You have never used 508T.  If you did, you would know.

Nope.  See the comments above.  There are plenty of reasons why you could end up with a low battery.  The shake awake is not failing on Holosuns.  Show me one case of this happening.  Anything electronic can fail.  But, modern electronics overall has a low failure rate overall.

Really?  Clearer glass is not important?  This statement shows me how brainwashed you are.  They put the tint on the RMR glass so they could drive the LED with less current and conserve battery life.  The RMR is an old design and tinted glass that is hard to see through is not an advantage.  Cover your optic?  If you really had knowledge of optics, you would know in your example that covering any optic will give you a POI shift due to Phoria.  This happens even on an uncovered optic in low light.  Clearer glass minimizes this.  

Both.  

You remind me of a person stubbornly buying an AMC Pacer in the 1980s because you think "made in Japan" is still a thing.  In the meantime, Toyota and Honda are conquering the world.  
View Quote
i am in the market for an AMC Pacer if you know where one is for sale , i was to busy with muscle cars in the 80's to see the beauty in the AMC Pacer back then.  "made in Japan" is still a thing with me with optics

you rock on man , sounds like you've got all your bases covered for a "grid down scenario"

you did get one thing right , i am a stubborn old man who wishes he was back in the 80's

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]

The 508T has

Solar backup
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The 508T has

Solar backup
Easier to use controls
Shake awake
Clearer glass
Titanium housing

Your point was lost when you started out with personal attacks and emotions rather than just stating facts.

The 508T is a great optic and another good option to run. Like the RMR it is a proven design that works. The sideload battery is the biggest advantage; the rest is pretty subjective. The glass is definitely clearer, though if you're seeing the glass on a red dot you're not using it correctly.

I lean RMR as it's dirt simple, recognizing that it'll need to have the zero checked after replacing the battery.

Originally Posted By tiger222:

The TA01NSN has the lugs to mount the RM35 so you're good to go with the Trijicon mount. You'll just need to take the rear sight off. When you install the RM35 be sure to follow the directions to the letter and make sure the forward set screws do not contact the housing. Trijicon's instructions are to tighten the forwards screws until a piece of paper just fits between the optic and screws. If you contact the optic body with the screws you'll cause the front of the mount to lift and have issues with elevation.

I've really enjoyed the piggyback red dot on my TA55. You do need to train the height over bore in for close range shots, but with practice it works and gives you the high heads up position. Zeroed for 50 yards is about right.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I told ya all that he was on his way to another meltdown and ban just like his last time here.

This one was pretty close, but no cigar yet
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are set on the TA01NSN and want to add in a reddot, try the 45 degree offset one instead of the piggyback option.

I bought the piggyback one back then with I think it was a docter reddot. They had the reddot but no plate, so I went to buy the plate which was pretty pricey from what I remembered. I never liked the piggyback on the acog. I mean it works but the problem I had with it is that it's set just right to where my helmet or safety glasses would hit the top rmr corner. It's really annoying and I have dings on the helmet and glasses.

I would say the best thing with a piggy back would be the elcan. I have been using it for nearly 15 years now and really like the piggy back set up and it doesn't hit my glasses (no longer wear a helmet since I don't need one anymore).

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
If you are set on the TA01NSN and want to add in a reddot, try the 45 degree offset one instead of the piggyback option.

]I bought the piggyback one back then with I think it was a docter reddot. They had the reddot but no plate, so I went to buy the plate which was pretty pricey from what I remembered. I never liked the piggyback on the acog. I mean it works but the problem I had with it is that it's set just right to where my helmet or safety glasses would hit the top rmr corner. It's really annoying and I have dings on the helmet and glasses.

I would say the best thing with a piggy back would be the elcan. I have been using it for nearly 15 years now and really like the piggy back set up and it doesn't hit my glasses (no longer wear a helmet since I don't need one anymore).

View Quote

That's a solid point on the 4x ACOGs. RDS on the eyepiece works fine with a helmet on the 3.5x and 5.5x ACOGs due to the longer eye relief, but I have not used it on a 4x yet. The TA02 solves this with a mount in front, but they seem hard to get as of late. I've had one on backorder since February with a possible ship date of July.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
When you say "old", how old are we talking? Old enough it doesn't have the built in mounting lugs
View Quote
It's an TA01NSN the bosses were prevalent on all of those models due to the inclusion of the BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gman556:
I told ya all that he was on his way to another meltdown and ban just like his last time here.

View Quote

@gman556
? Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

@gman556
? Did I miss something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mstennes:
Originally Posted By gman556:

@gman556
? Did I miss something?

No not really.

Nothing directed at you.

PM me if you want to know what I was talking about. I don't want to hijack this thread again.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top