Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2024 2:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer]
Shot it this weekend, with a group who really enjoyed it.  Here's one of the 21 yr old French girls who never handled a gun before.  She loved this thing.  And her Glam-shots for taking home came out pretty F'ing great - so here you go! (should be COC compliant, but give a shout if not)

The BBL on this little 20" long SBR, is 13" long.

Here is the velocity and accuracy data at 15, 25, 50, 100 yards I got today with this 5.7 rimfire gun (which is also known as - .22LR ).  Remarkable how there's basically no velocity loss, even at just 13" of BBL.  Accuracy is decent, but eh, it's a bullpup with a heavy trigger and a red-dot.  Precision accuracy is not really this guns mission-statement.  More "can it hit the steel?" (and yes, yes it can).

Interesting to see with that much sight offset, in that form-factor, a 25 yard zero is basically also a 100 yard zero.  Impact is 3" high at 50 yards.  It'll hit a 4" gong at 100 yards pretty much every shot, so that's not bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
You have my curiosity lazeyengineer.   Does the PS90 use a conversion bolt to shoot 22 LR (rimfire vs centerfire)?  Is there a 22 LR magazine you’re using?  My understanding is the 5.7x28 is a blowback in FN P90 and shoots .224 bullets so are you basically doing the same thing as using a 22 LR conversion in an AR-15 223/5.56?  I read the PS90 uses a 1:9 twist so sounds like the PS90 would be a candidate for a rimfire conversion.   I’ve seen where Ruger 10/22’s were modified to work in a bullpup stock.   This is the first I’ve heard of anyone shooting 22 LR in a PS90

I bet a PS90 would be a lot of fun and cheaper to shoot than 5.7x28.   I read anything over 16” barrel with 22 LR tends to reduce velocity.  I’m not surprised a 13” 22 LR barrel produces similar velocity to a 16” barrel.   I bet a full auto P90 in 22 LR would be fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
You have my curiosity lazeyengineer.   Does the PS90 use a conversion bolt to shoot 22 LR (rimfire vs centerfire)?  Is there a 22 LR magazine you’re using?  My understanding is the 5.7x28 is a blowback in FN P90 and shoots .224 bullets so are you basically doing the same thing as using a 22 LR conversion in an AR-15 223/5.56?  I read the PS90 uses a 1:9 twist so sounds like the PS90 would be a candidate for a rimfire conversion.   I’ve seen where Ruger 10/22’s were modified to work in a bullpup stock.   This is the first I’ve heard of anyone shooting 22 LR in a PS90

I bet a PS90 would be a lot of fun and cheaper to shoot than 5.7x28.   I read anything over 16” barrel with 22 LR tends to reduce velocity.  I’m not surprised a 13” 22 LR barrel produces similar velocity to a 16” barrel.   I bet a full auto P90 in 22 LR would be fun.
View Quote

It's the Hightower stock over a 10/22 - it's just they did that good of a job, though I did tweak it to more closely match a P90.  Total blast.  Of all the guns with everyone I had for the weekend, this guy and the Stribog were the top favorites and just ran and ran all weekend.

BBL is simply an 18" factory cut down to 13" - with no velocity loss - which just blows my mind, and at first I spent 10 minutes thumping and looking at the settings on my Chrony - thinking it had gone haywire, after I SBR'd.

Obviously .22LR isn't the same power class as 5.7, but it's not as laughable as you might think. More of a toy than true PDW, but to be honest, if this is all you had as a PDW, it's not actually that bad.

FWIW - ProMag sucks, but their 32 round 10/22 mags are actually kind of great (once cycled a couple.times to break in) - at about $16/ mag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What tweaks did you do to match the looks of the PS90?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen the High Tower Armory conversions and they look really good.   I had a feeling you used a 10/22 from your title but chopping the barrel really makes your HTA look like a real PS90 in the picture.   I enjoy shooting steel plates in my back yard and shoot a lot of 22 LR in various pistols, rifles and carbines.   A 22 LR conversion kit would be pretty cool in my Tavor SAR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That is awesome. I had no idea that product existed. My son has wanted a PS90 forever; this may be a viable alternative.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#6]
At the turn of the century (1905ish) it was common for boys rifles to have 12-14” barrels. Those I’ve seen that survived are non-SBR grandfathered C&R pieces.

One of my bitches about RUGER is their traditional-stupid 18” barrels on rimfire rifles.  It only helps with iron sight radius and does boost velocity a touch with hyper velocity ammo. But for threaded suppressor hosts shooting standard velocity for quiet the extra 2” above 16”  is dead weight and length.  

Were it not for the N F(udd) A we would see the market deliver rimfire rifles with 8-12” barrels. My suppressed 10/22 SBR is always a crowd pleaser with both new shooters and macho close-quarter-recoil fetishists.  Suppressed, short, semi-auto rimfire make great gateway guns.

That’s a fun looking conversion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#7]

Very fun little .22

I know all the cool kids run cans now - I'm in the small minority that values the smaller size rig of not running a can.  Tiny fun little guy that can just run.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
well.... i forgot this bullpup kit existed.  i got a little (very) into stargate, but always held off on a p90 because of the cost of ammo for a "fun gun".  this may be the only gun i eventually SBR as long as braces don't have any more fun updates

...now i'm $500 more poor, but I think my stargate autism is now complete.   not pictured are all the SG-1 box sets in storage somewhere

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sticman77:
well.... i forgot this bullpup kit existed.  i got a little (very) into stargate, but always held off on a p90 because of the cost of ammo for a "fun gun".  this may be the only gun i eventually SBR as long as braces don't have any more fun updates

...now i'm $500 more poor, but I think my stargate autism is now complete.   not pictured are all the SG-1 box sets in storage somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/x9ect0V.jpg
View Quote

Stargate foot Tattoo - impressive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty cool OP. I was surprised at the velocity.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How does the magazine work? Is it just there to complete the look?
Top Top