Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/5/2024 12:58:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoGoRider]
Democrat Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has signed legislation that will require credit card companies to track purchases of firearms and ammunition with credit cards, a scheme opposed by Second Amendment activists and organizations as backdoor gun registration.

According to KDVR News in Denver, which labeled gun control proponents as “gun reform advocates,” the bill requires credit card companies to “apply a specific code” to such purchases. This “merchant category code” was pushed by state Sen. Tom Sullivan, a Democrat whose son was killed in the Aurora theater rampage. He was joined by state Reps, Javier Mabrey and Meg Froelich.

The new legislation could simply compel gun and ammunition buyers to either pay cash or write a check, or possibly use a cashier’s check. Many in the firearms community consider such legislation an egregious invasion of privacy.

A legislative description of the new law notes that violators could be fined up to $10,000 per infraction, and face an injunction. The state attorney general has sole authority to enforce this new law. The law kicks in next year, while credit card companies must make the code available to retailers starting Sept. 1, while the codes will be assigned and tracked beginning May 1, 2025, KDVR explained.

This isn’t the only anti-gun legislation signed by Polis. A few days ago, as detailed by the Colorado News Line, he also signed Senate Bill 23-170, which allows mental health professionals, district attorneys, educators and medical professionals to petition judges in order to disarm “potentially dangerous persons.” It expands the scope of Colorado’s “red flag” law and might land Colorado on the radar of the Second Amendment Foundation. Last year, SAF launched its “Capture the Flag” project aimed at finding abuses of “red flag” laws, with the pilot effort focusing on six states, California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Washington. The biggest concern about such laws is about due process.

https://www.ammoland.com/2024/05/colorado-signs-bill-requiring-credit-card-tracking-of-gun-and-ammo-purchases/
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#1]
Should be allowed to sue representatives directly for abuse of authority, abuse of office.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
colorado used to be the place i wanted to retire...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By par0thead151:
View Quote

#metoo

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck Pole in his Ass

Fuck Chickenpooper

Fuck Jenna

Fuck Buck

Fuck em all

H
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

So fucking glad I abandoned that plan.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Florida or one of the other pro-gun states needs to up the ante by making it illegal to track those purchases with a $100k and more than one year in prison penalty.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Florida or one of the other pro-gun states needs to up the ante by making it illegal to track those purchases with a $100k and more than one year in prison penalty.
View Quote

You mean, Red Flag Florida?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Disgusting
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like we need to make a competition out of it!

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Death sentence. Anything else is just tit for tat bullshit.  Make you known that sort of violation of peoples rights will forfeit their lives.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Should be allowed to sue representatives directly for abuse of authority, abuse of office.
View Quote

View Quote

Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Death sentence. Anything else is just tit for tat bullshit.  Make you known that sort of violation of peoples rights will forfeit their lives.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Im for this . Automatic death penalty for any politician infringing on the Bill of Rights . Should be easy to prove , streamlining the process.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah well, he's a faggot, so...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

DeSantis signs bill blocking credit card companies from tracking firearm purchases
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I already make a habit of paying cash for ammo, even though I get a lot of suspicious looks from the cashiers, like I might me up to something.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Commies doing commie shit.  Is anyone really surprised?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Florida Republicans were too busy banning “bumpstocks” which includes binary triggers and likely any aftermarket trigger.

That and killing legalized OC. The current Florida OC ban has become a green light for LEOs to to go full retard anytime they SEE a gun. Plenty of video examples out there.

Florida isn’t as bad as many States but still has a long way to go regarding 2A freedoms.

Interestingly, the statistics in Florida are proving that more Freedom = LESS crime.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#20]
"Move to a free state"
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
"Move to a free state"
View Quote

These are going the way of the Dodo bird.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KingNine:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KingNine:
Originally Posted By Extorris:
"Move to a free state"

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Man, Colorado really fell. CT is one thing, but Colorado? Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I can’t see how this is not highly unconstitutional and huge government overreach.

Then again, these are Marxist overlord wannabes who run with the guise of “it’s for our safety!”.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
The lefty states now are passing shit left and right to saturate the supreme court for years.  There needs to be a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MetalChef:
I can’t see how this is not highly unconstitutional and huge government overreach.

Then again, these are Marxist overlord wannabes who run with the guise of “it’s for our safety!”.
View Quote

People said the same thing about NY's SAFE Act over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:42:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#27]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Global_Cooling:

DeSantis signs bill blocking credit card companies from tracking firearm purchases

I don't think it is going to be easy for card companies to track certain purchases in some states and not track in other states. It would have to be tracked by the point of sale location, not the card owner and it would require the store to be proactive on the individual item and I don't see gun shops doing that since this law seems to require CC companies to take action, not shops or card processors. It certainly is not going to happen anytime soon because it is an entirely new requirement and I don't think the software is set up to track individual items.

So I expect this to come to a head.

I don't think they track any type of purchase now and it would require having a code for specific products. Right now there are codes for the type of business, ie hotels, utilities, home improvement but not for individual items, but this law appears to require not tracking the type of business like gun shop or sporting goods store, it appears to require tracking specific items which would require stores to input the type of item. For example in MA there is a tax exemption for gun safes, no sales tax on a gun safe, and it is not tracked but the stores can bypass the sales tax on an item much like they do for food items and clothing items that also have no sales tax, but I don't think any of that leaves the store, it is just at the register and shows up on the receipt as no sales tax. It certainly is not tracked by the CC company.

ETA: After reading the law, this law does not require tracking of ammo or guns, it requires tracking of a business code assigned to the merchant. So if you buy a fishing pole at a place that makes most of it's money from selling ammo, guns, or gun accessories, the merchant is assigned the gun business code and the CC company will track that you  purchased an item sold by the gun merchant, not what the item is.

But the big part of the bill opens up the opportunity for anybody that is harmed in any way to file civil suit against a so called gun merchant that failed to follow the law to the letter. The law specifically allows civil law suits against gun merchants assigned the tracking code to be sued for any harm as a result of the merchant not following the law. People seem to be missing this important part:

IMO, this law is not about tracking gun shop purchases, this law is about putting gun shops out of business via frivolous civil law suits.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#29]
It is just a backdoor registration scam.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mach:

I don't think it is going to be easy for card companies to track certain purchases in some states and not track in other states. It would have to be tracked by the point of sale location, not the card owner and it would require the store to be proactive on the individual item and I don't see gun shops doing that since this law seems to require CC companies to take action, not shops or card processors. It certainly is not going to happen anytime soon because it is an entirely new requirement and I don't think the software is set up to track individual items.

I don't think they track any type of purchase now and it would require having a code for specific products. Right now there are codes for the type of business, ie hotels, utilities, home improvement but not for individual items, but this law appears to require not tracking the type of business like gun shop or sporting goods store, it appears to require tracking specific items which would require stores to input the type of item. For example in MA there is a tax exemption for gun safes, no sales tax on a gun safe, and it is not tracked but the stores can bypass the sales tax on an item much like they do for food items and clothing items that also have no sales tax, but I don't think any of that leaves the store, it is just at the register and shows up on the receipt as no sales tax. It certainly is not tracked by the CC company.

ETA: After reading the law, this law does not require tracking of ammo or guns, it requires tracking of a business code assigned to the merchant. So if you by a fishing pole at a place that makes most of it's money from selling ammo, guns, or gun accessories, the merchant is assigned the gun business code and the CC company will track that you  purchased an item sold by the gun merchant merchant.

But the big part of the bill opens up the opportunity for anybody that is harmed in any way to file civil suit against a so called gun merchant that failed to follow the law to the letter.

This law isn't about tracking gun shop purchases, this law is about putting gun shops out of business via frivolous civil law suits.
View Quote

I thought this was already “settled science” at the Federal level when Treasury Secretary Yellen was asked during an open hearing about banks/credit cards being asked to give up information on their customer’s buying stuff at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, and religious type stores where Bibles could be purchased.

And Secretary Yellen did NOT….could NOT…. come right out and give a resounding “NO!” as an answer:

Ann Wagner Grills Janet Yellen: Are You Searching ‘Americans' Legal Transactions?’

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I never paid much attention to Colorado until I moved to Utah. Colorado is full Berkley level craziness. New Mexico is nuts also.

Utah passed a law prohibiting credit card tracking of gun purchases. But our governor is a weirdo who calls GOP representatives extremists. There's a lot of Democrats and lefty never trumpers in the GOP here.
View Quote

It is what happens when CA wackos migrate.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

I thought this was already “settled science” at the Federal level when Treasury Secretary Yellen was asked during an open hearing about banks/credit cards being asked to give up information on their customer’s buying stuff at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, and religious type stores where Bibles could be purchased.

And Secretary Yellen did NOT….could NOT…. come right out and give a resounding “NO!” as an answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF68YMvkQhQ
View All Quotes

ETA: After reading the law, this law does not require tracking of ammo or guns, it requires tracking of a business code assigned to the merchant. So if you by a fishing pole at a place that makes most of it's money from selling ammo, guns, or gun accessories, the merchant is assigned the gun business code and the CC company will track that you  purchased an item sold by the gun merchant merchant.

But the big part of the bill opens up the opportunity for anybody that is harmed in any way to file civil suit against a so called gun merchant that failed to follow the law to the letter.

This law isn't about tracking gun shop purchases, this law is about putting gun shops out of business via frivolous civil law suits.

Yes. but now there is a state law in CO that specifically assigns civil liability to gun shops for not following the CO law and opens up gun retailers to be sued by any individual for any ( undefined ) HARM as a result of the gun merchant not following the law.

Like I said, this is really about putting gun merchants out of business from lots of civil suits claiming harm and the gun merchant not following the law. Accusations and the gun merchant defending themselves in court from bogus law suits will be the order of the day in CO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Let’s track the purchase of reading materials as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#34]
WTF?

We've got the exact opposite bill working right now to prevent the tracking.

Colorado has fallen off a cliff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Chisum:
View Quote

and a “Red Flag” generator.

I mean, who has a lawful need for a thousand rounds of assault weapon ammunition?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Yellen is a female version of Mayorkas. No person in this administration has the integrity to answer a yes/no question.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
Democrat Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has signed legislation that will require credit card companies to track purchases of firearms and ammunition with credit cards, a scheme opposed by Second Amendment activists and organizations as backdoor gun registration.

According to KDVR News in Denver, which labeled gun control proponents as “gun reform advocates,” the bill requires credit card companies to “apply a specific code” to such purchases. This “merchant category code” was pushed by state Sen. Tom Sullivan, a Democrat whose son was killed in the Aurora theater rampage. He was joined by state Reps, Javier Mabrey and Meg Froelich.

The new legislation could simply compel gun and ammunition buyers to either pay cash or write a check, or possibly use a cashier’s check. Many in the firearms community consider such legislation an egregious invasion of privacy.

A legislative description of the new law notes that violators could be fined up to $10,000 per infraction, and face an injunction. The state attorney general has sole authority to enforce this new law. The law kicks in next year, while credit card companies must make the code available to retailers starting Sept. 1, while the codes will be assigned and tracked beginning May 1, 2025, KDVR explained.

This isn’t the only anti-gun legislation signed by Polis. A few days ago, as detailed by the Colorado News Line, he also signed Senate Bill 23-170, which allows mental health professionals, district attorneys, educators and medical professionals to petition judges in order to disarm “potentially dangerous persons.” It expands the scope of Colorado’s “red flag” law and might land Colorado on the radar of the Second Amendment Foundation. Last year, SAF launched its “Capture the Flag” project aimed at finding abuses of “red flag” laws, with the pilot effort focusing on six states, California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Washington. The biggest concern about such laws is about due process.

https://www.ammoland.com/2024/05/colorado-signs-bill-requiring-credit-card-tracking-of-gun-and-ammo-purchases/
View Quote

I completely agree with the bill if they also add the following:

1) Track all payments for abortions.

2) Track all payments for birth control

3) Track all payments for Plan B.

4) #1, 2 and 3 are published online in a searchable database.

Watch the Left scream and the bill go down in flames.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I mean, who has a lawful need for a thousand rounds of assault weapon ammunition?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

"He's obviously a crazy gun nut"
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Why is everyone named Jared a compete faggot?

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#41]
The credit card companies would be right to tell Colorado to get fucked. It requires more complexity and extra work on their part, for something that provides them with a negative benefit, as this law is likely to result in fewer people utilizing their services.

Why agree to this nonsense?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Yup. It used to be transactions of $10,000 were reported. Then it was $5,000 and now $600. It will soon be all transactions. The govt. does not need to track any transaction without a warrant. It won't be on just guns either, Who has food to confiscate,. What political, religious, charities, vacations, soon-to-be-banned books, or people you support?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Yes. but now there is a state law in CO that specifically assigns civil liability to gun shops for not following the CO law and opens up gun retailers to be sued by any individual for any ( undefined ) HARM as a result of the gun merchant not following the law.

Like I said, this is really about putting gun merchants out of business from lots of civil suits claiming harm and the gun merchant not following the law. Accusations and the gun merchant defending themselves in court from bogus law suits will be the order of the day in CO.
View Quote

Shouldn’t it be the credit card companies/processors getting sued for not following the law?

Seems to me like it is a way for a lot of credit card companies/processors to drop gun and ammo stores as clients.

Which would make it seem like a state level version of Operation Choke Point:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Corporate government collusion needs to be illegal. It’s anti-democratic and an affront to the Constitution
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Slow erosion...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Vaquero45:

Why is everyone named Jared a compete faggot?

View Quote

Or pedophiles, like Jared from Subway.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:40:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kihn] [#48]

first non-incumbent openly gay man elected to Congress in 2008, and the first openly gay parent in Congress in 2011. In 2018, he became the first openly gay man and second openly LGBT person (after Kate Brown) elected governor of a U.S. state. He is also the first Jewish person elected governor of Colorado. In 2021, he became the first U.S. governor in a same-sex marriage. In 2022, he became the first openly gay man and the first U.S. governor in a same-sex marriage to be reelected.
View Quote

He's pretty open about who he is on his Wiki page.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
Corporate government collusion needs to be illegal. It’s anti-democratic and an affront to the Constitution
View Quote

(Sarcasm) Why do you hate freedom, bro? (/Sarcasm)

The change in attitude here as it pertains to the ability of private companies to infringe on people's rights has been noticable, but too little, too late. We STILL have people here that are okay with a boot on their neck, as long as the boot has a corporate brand name instead of a government acronym.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Nazi.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top