Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2024 8:36:01 AM EDT
My business takes me on road trips a few times a month, typically 2-4 hours one way. I currently have a V8 AWD SUV that serves as my daily driver/family hauler. I also have Challenger Hellcat with straight pipes and a vintage manual Supra, both of which are a blast to drive but not very “business like.”

I’m looking for a used full size sedan. Something big and fast but also quiet and comfortable. RWD or AWD only.

I’ve looked at Lexus LS and GS, Cadillac CT6 V and BMW 650 gran coupe.

They are all great cars but I’m hesitant to buy a used BMW as my previous experiences with German cars is that are high maintenance attention whores.

The Lexuses (Lexi?) should be pretty much bulletproof and there’s a Cadillac dealer near my office.

Any personal experience with any of these or anything else I should seriously consider?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
You'd be better served buying a new Kia vs a used BMW.

Why does a commuter car need to be RWD? Fun factor?

Sounds like you have some conflicting priorities to work through.

A Camry is pretty much the ultimate commuter car, but I don't think awd is offered there. The Prius has AWD. But then again their lane following assist is garbage compared to others'.

So maybe a list of priorities in order would be helpful?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#2]
Infiniti Q50
Lexus IS 500 sport performance 472 hp
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Audi RS6
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure a Lexus will fulfill the need, but the Caddy looks way better.  I had a regular CTS years ago and it was pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Full size for the win.

I owed with compact cars for a time but it was a stupid waste, our full size impala is very comfortable and gets approx 30 mpg where the tiny rough riding compacts we’re not comfortable and basically got the same mileage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Last year toyota Avalon
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve owned many a vehicle…..and a gen 3 for raptor is about as cush a highway vehicle you will find.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Full size for the win.

I owed with compact cars for a time but it was a stupid waste, our full size impala is very comfortable and gets approx 30 mpg where the tiny rough riding compacts we’re not comfortable and basically got the same mileage.
View Quote

What compacts are you looking at? The Carolla, Jetta, Civic, Elantra, etc all get near 50, not 30.

My Ioniq gets 55 on a bad day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]
There’s only one choice … Dodge Charger Hellcat.

Coolest supercharged V8 sedan on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Lexus
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Tesla
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
Audi RS6
View Quote

Mmm. Yes.

Nothing eats highway miles like a German. I DD an A4 Avant with a 6MT, AWD and the V6 on sports suspension, adjustable shocks and about 4 inches of ground clearance. It's been a great car. Not really any more maintenance intensive than my Nissan Hardbody, it's just way more sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
There’s only one choice … Dodge Charger Hellcat.

Coolest supercharged V8 sedan on the planet.
View Quote

CT5-V Blackwing. Just as fast, far more class
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury. Take it on 10+ hour road trips all the time. It's been the best road trip car i've had to date. I replaced my '17 SS with it. You can get them for a decent price used too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler426] [#15]
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible or 1970s Plymouth Fury III and have it customized by Icon (4x4 optional).  Cruise away.
or BMW M5
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:04:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#16]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
My business takes me on road trips a few times a month, typically 2-4 hours one way. I currently have a V8 AWD SUV that serves as my daily driver/family hauler. I also have Challenger Hellcat with straight pipes and a vintage manual Supra, both of which are a blast to drive but not very “business like"....anything else I should seriously consider?
View Quote

1967-68 Imperial with the mobile-director option (speedtrap.net).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#17]
As a CTS-V owner, I can tell you that the Cadillac gets horrible gas mileage, and the seats are... strangely uncomfortable after a few hours.
The BMW (F10 in my case) is much more comfortable and gets way better gas mileage, but is kinda low to the ground, and surprisingly big.

My go-to long distance car is the S60R.  Seats are perfect, 500 miles between stops, 400HP is achievable with mods. Newer Volvos like the polestar have similar seats and HP, but no manual.  Down side is the rarer Volvos command a pretty hefty premium on the used car market compared to the BMWs.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Either Lexus or Porache Panamara
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Tesla Model S Plaid
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#20]
You basically described a Crown Vic...

Might look at a Lincoln MKZ...

Or a Cadillac CTS.

If you want to stay in the Dodge ecosystem.. they made/make a Durango with a Hemi that looks nicer for road trips than the Dodge cars do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#21]
You want comfort? S550. It also packs quite a punch. When I retire and a car like that is more relevant, Ill be at the dealer looking for a lightly used one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

A Camry is pretty much the ultimate commuter car, but I don't think awd is offered there. The Prius has AWD. But then again their lane following assist is garbage compared to others'.

View Quote

No conflicting priorities at all. I thought it was pretty clear that I’m interested in large, premium, RWD or AWD sedans. It’s not a commuter car, it’s an occasional road trip car and I have no interest in driving a car I don’t enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#23]
What’s wrong with the Supra? It should be a nice grand tourer
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SM0KESCREEN:
You basically described a Crown Vic...

Might look at a Lincoln MKZ...

Or a Cadillac CTS.

If you want to stay in the Dodge ecosystem.. they made/make a Durango with a Hemi that looks nicer for road trips than the Dodge cars do.
View Quote

My daily driver is a Durango R/T premium AWD with a few mods.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Your second line told me all I needed to know.

FWD is ALWAYS inferior. You don't realize it if you're an A to B person.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Camry is offered in a AWD version. I think OP is interested in a slight upgrade from a Camry. I can understand that. But I do like my Camry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Lexus GS all day. The LS is a looker but has a very complex front suspension that is problematic as the vehicle ages
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Forget sedans - useless. Get a KIA Sorrento medium SUV with the 280 HP turbo 2.5L, AWD and dual-clutch 'automatic manual' trans - both standard on some trims.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Panamera
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#30]
You don't need cup holders

300ZX Twin Turbo: If I had A Z Commercial
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
not very “business like.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Toyota Crown?  Hybrid and sits higher than the Camry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Matanzas] [#33]
Used BMW all the way. Get one that's newish with low miles and still under factory warranty. Bonus if it's a CPO as that'll extend the warranty. I have a 2018 M4 that's been flawless for 60k miles and the most fun car I've ever driven. My wife's 2021 430i had likewise been trouble free for 40k.

Just yesterday I had to drive a rental 2024 Camry and it felt like a giant POS compared to the bimmers I'm used to.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YGBSM] [#34]
I have a Cadillac CT6 with the twin turbo V6 and  SuperCruise.  I can attest it is a fantastic trip car.
-it is the quietest Cadillac ever built
-long wheelbase makes for a smooth ride, while the 4 wheel steering makes it nimble
-SuperCruise works great
-Seats are incredibly comfortable for long days
-33 mpg at 75 mph on flat roads
-400 hp for passing power
-large trunk
-reliable, I bought it new and have had no major issues

If you want more info PM me

Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip to Shiloh and Vicksburg
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Forget sedans - useless. Get a KIA Sorrento medium SUV with the 280 HP turbo 2.5L, AWD and dual-clutch 'automatic manual' trans - both standard on some trims.
View Quote

I’m not buying any Kia.

I already have a 7 seat, AWD SUV with a 420 HP V8.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By YGBSM:
I have a Cadillac CT6 with the twin turbo V6 and  SuperCruise.  I can attest it is a fantastic trip car.
-it is the quietest Cadillac ever built
-long wheelbase makes for a smooth ride, while the 4 wheel steering makes it nimble
-SuperCruise works great
-Seats are incredibly comfortable for long days
-33 mpg at 75 mph on flat roads
-400 hp for passing power
-large trunk
-reliable, I bought it new and have had no major issues

If you want more info PM me

Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip to Shiloh and Vicksburg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48999/IMG_5387_jpeg-3205106.JPG
View Quote

Very nice! Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LetFreedomBeep:
Lexus GS all day. The LS is a looker but has a very complex front suspension that is problematic as the vehicle ages
View Quote
GS hasn't been made since 2020 and since it's a lexus so it's infotainment was woefully out of date even when new. A '22+ ES would fit the bill as far as size/comfort but would just not be as fun on some side roads due to the FWD and no LSD. You can still hustle it fine though if you're not a total ham fisted clown.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#38]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Panamera
View Quote

Now, that’s an interesting option.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
Audi RS6
View Quote

I like your style.

Does Kia make anything similar?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#40]
CT5-V Blackwing or GTFO
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#41]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Audi A6 is nice. The previous nice road trip car I had before my ES350UL was a '16 A6 3.0t Prestige with the B&O sound system (tweeters came out of the dash), FLIR, massaging seats, auto driving aids, and 18" tires and it was a dream on long trips. I regret selling it during covid now but it probably would have been a basket case long term compared to the ES.

The Caddy's mentioned in here with supercruise would also be worth looking at. I really don't know how good long term reliability is on them so it depends on how long you plan on actually keeping the vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slow3v:

View Quote

From a practicality standpoint there is literally nothing a RWD car does better than FWD. Snow performance? Nope. Rain performance? Nope. Loose gravel? Nope. Every time I see a car in the ditch in a snow or rain storm it's RWD without fail.

Everyone here acts like they hit up every drag strip they pass driving their road trip car to and from where work takes them. Lol.

And I've owned RWD, FWD, 4WD, and AWD.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#44]
How about a 1987 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance with a AM/FM/Casette/CB head unit and a powder blue paint job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

What state do you live in?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crownvic96] [#46]

From a practicality standpoint there is literally nothing a RWD car does better than FWD. Snow performance? Nope. Rain performance? Nope. Loose gravel? Nope. Every time I see a car in the ditch in a snow or rain storm it's RWD without fail.

Everyone here acts like they hit up every drag strip they pass driving their road trip car to and from where work takes them. Lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah it's GD so most of the replies are dumb as shit. I've had plenty of great FWD cars too. My '02 Acura CL Type S 6speed was fantastic. My '14 Jetta TDI manual and '15 Passat TDI manual were great too. I liked the Jetta better. That little fucker could hustle when you really wanted to and the rest of the time was a great vehicle around town or on the highway. It was probably the "best value" car i've ever owned with my '03+ panthers coming in close second. Hell even my wife's Saturn SL2 manual she had was fun. Great drivetrain and chassis. I mean by the time we traded it in everything else on the car had broken or fallen apart but the drivetrain and chassis still felt and drove new even with 200k+ miles on it lol. My current '19 ES350UL is definitely traction limited but it's got shitty michelin energy tires on it so it's getting real all seasons when I finally wear those shitty things out. But I also like the challenge of having to be conscious of getting into the throttle properly so it keeps me on my toes to not understeer it too much when i am fucking around with it (which is rare these days).

If you want to have fun get a corvette or miata. If you just need to "drive" there's plenty of solid cars like Lexus/Acura/etc or even the premium american or german brands depending on if you want it long term or are ok just owning while under warranty. I want low NVH, quiet cabin, comfy seats, and a great sound system now so I can enjoy my journey. But i've never had an issue hustling any of my non-sports cars either though.

Hell even the upper trim regular japanese cars are great. Before I got this Lexus last year I was eyeballing the Honda Accord Touring and the Toyota Crown Platinum pretty heavily. They have all the same features I want too that the premium brands have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

FWD in snow are front heavy and understeer. Makes the low clearance sedans plow through snow easily if they have low ground clearance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
You want comfort? S550. It also packs quite a punch. When I retire and a car like that is more relevant, Ill be at the dealer looking for a lightly used one.
View Quote

I came here to say a retired friend who doesn't drive much and doesn't care about fuel costs just bought a 2006 S550 in mint condition, odometer in the low 100k range, and didn't pay much for it. M113 engine is pretty damn durable, but you might need to replace some ignition coil packs every 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

OP started a thread about buying a 4th vehicle for occasional highway use. I don't think 'practicality' is the consideration here.

There are a lot of scenarios where RWD is better, which is why virtually all real GT cars are RWD. For quite a few reasons, a McPherson strut FWD isn't going to be as comfortable as most RWD luxury cars.

I wouldn't expect OH to be that much different from MO, and here most of what's in the ditch is FWD shitboxes on bald tires and dry vans with foreign drivers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top