BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Panamera
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere in a senior park a Lincoln Town Car is waiting for you...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Since you mentioned luxury cars, I will note that the Porsche Panamera is without question the most comfortable and amazing car for cruising along on long trips.  My wife drove one for nine years, and the car literally had ZERO issues.  They are extremely reliable.

The base model is pretty awesome, and once you get into the more powerful models, they are insanely fast.
View Quote

Thanks. I’ll add it to my list of consideration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I am going to go against the grain here. Rent a Tesla for the road trip days, no need to buy a 30-50k car ( or much much more ) for 4 trips a month. Heck even just rent something like a Volvo large SUV, or any other premium car would be cheaper than a car payment, and you might be able to write it off your taxes as a business expense.

300-400 a month on rental is cheaper than a 700 buck car payment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Lexus LS460
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been very happy road tripping in my BMW X5.  With a few mods, it will move down the road pretty well.  AWD version, 3.0L.  Gas mileage suffers, but I don't pay my gas so I don't care. 22-24 mpg at 85+.

I drive in Mexico quite a bit, and high speed runs are comfortable and eats miles at a good pace. A Uniden R8 has paid for itself over and over.

In the very recent past, I had the 640i GC, and now the M6 version.  Neither is what I would call really comfortable after 4 hours in the seat.  

Maintenance wise, I stay on top of them pretty well.  Oil changes and preventive maintenance has kept down time to a minimum. I've got 78K, and nothing has failed. It's my daily driver and hauler. I just got rid of the run flats, and it's much quieter. First set of rotors and pads, plugs and coils at 50K, and transmission and transfer case drain and fill. Oil changes every <5K miles, and oil analysis twice a year. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW.

I also had a Mercedes GL550.  Great touring car, but it drained my wallet faster than all my BMW's combined. The E series are great cars too.  I had several and made a good work car traveling between clients.  Very reliable and comfortable.  I put over 35K one year during Covid visiting clients.   I've never owned an  S-series.

My co-worker has a Caddie V.  Good looking car but it seems to be in the shop much more than my X5.  Another has the AMG 43GT.  That's a great ride and quiet.  A little disconnected driving experience, but it's been reliable for her.

Large Lexus sedans are also very popular at work. Mostly V8's and solid cruisers.  Pickup trucks are mostly Fords in our lots. Mixed results with them.

The single Infiniti SUV has been a PITA for one of our managers.  Electrical problems the main issues, but went round and round with a check engine light that kept coming back on. Finally replaced the computer and I think it's been better. I know they replaced the battery, alternator, and MAF trying to keep the light off.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:31:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#7]
You won’t find anything much better than a Genesis G90 for the money.

" />
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Porsche Panamera
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
For your described use, a low miles 540 is the answer. Everything else is just pretending.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#10]
This was a great road trip car for various reasons.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

From a practicality standpoint there is literally nothing a RWD car does better than FWD. Snow performance? Nope. Rain performance? Nope. Loose gravel? Nope. Every time I see a car in the ditch in a snow or rain storm it's RWD without fail.

Everyone here acts like they hit up every drag strip they pass driving their road trip car to and from where work takes them. Lol.

And I've owned RWD, FWD, 4WD, and AWD.
View Quote

It's when you get impractical, as in high horsepower, that FWD sucks ass.  Torque steer ruins them.  

But for a civic, I understand what you mean.

I vote CT5-V.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Mercury Grand Marquis
A more refined Crown Vic without having to sort through used police cars.
Just skip the vinyl roof.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By chibajoe:
As a CTS-V owner, I can tell you that the Cadillac gets horrible gas mileage, and the seats are... strangely uncomfortable after a few hours.
The BMW (F10 in my case) is much more comfortable and gets way better gas mileage, but is kinda low to the ground, and surprisingly big.

My go-to long distance car is the S60R.  Seats are perfect, 500 miles between stops, 400HP is achievable with mods. Newer Volvos like the polestar have similar seats and HP, but no manual.  Down side is the rarer Volvos command a pretty hefty premium on the used car market compared to the BMWs.

View Quote
We have two CTS. One V sedan and a sport wagon. When we take a trip of any distance, and get honest about comfort, we take our long bed, crew cab, Duramax. I'd have never thought a 3/4 T truck could be more comfortable than a Cadillac but that long wheelbase really smooths out the highways.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kikilee] [#14]
Lexus RC 350F
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]

From a practicality standpoint there is literally nothing a RWD car does better than FWD. Snow performance? Nope. Rain performance? Nope. Loose gravel? Nope. Every time I see a car in the ditch in a snow or rain storm it's RWD without fail.

Everyone here acts like they hit up every drag strip they pass driving their road trip car to and from where work takes them. Lol.

View Quote

If you’re a car guy you’ll understand. OP sounds like a car guy, I understand what he doesn’t want wrong wheel drive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd lean towards the Lexus LS, but consider the Crown, ES, or maybe even a Grand Highlander.

Doesn't sound like money is a concern.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

No conflicting priorities at all. I thought it was pretty clear that I’m interested in large, premium, RWD or AWD sedans. It’s not a commuter car, it’s an occasional road trip car and I have no interest in driving a car I don’t enjoy.
View Quote

In that case here you go.

BMW M4 Competition Coupe, this one is a 2021.

Don't be afraid it's in the shop, , just having some maintenance done.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Challengers are surprisingly comfortable on even much longer trips than you are planning.  At least mine is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Challengers are surprisingly comfortable on even much longer trips than you are planning.  At least mine is.
View Quote

They definitely are. I have a Hellcat and while it’s extremely comfortable for two, I need a sedan. Also, mine has straight pipes so you can hear it from space.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think I saw it mentioned but, do you have a certain impression you want to make?  If you don't care and want a great car for eating up miles, I have to go with the 22+ Lexus ES Ultra Luxury.  Good gas mileage, rides nice and is fairly zippy for what it is (300hp V6, i think).  It also doesn't scream "pretentious jackass" if you're worried about such things.  

If you have money to burn on the purchase, newer S500 or for under 100k you can grab a 2006 or so Maybach if you're patient.  You'll want a driver for the Maybach.    My dad has an S500 and he loves it.  I think he drives more now than ever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Older S-Class Benz
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By baxt3r:
I don't think I saw it mentioned but, do you have a certain impression you want to make?  If you don't care and want a great car for eating up miles, I have to go with the 22+ Lexus ES Ultra Luxury.  Good gas mileage, rides nice and is fairly zippy for what it is (300hp V6, i think).  It also doesn't scream "pretentious jackass" if you're worried about such things.  

If you have money to burn on the purchase, newer S500 or for under 100k you can grab a 2006 or so Maybach if you're patient.  You'll want a driver for the Maybach.    My dad has an S500 and he loves it.  I think he drives more now than ever.
View Quote

My wife has an ES350. It’s really nice for a really nice Camry but it’s FWD.

I’d prefer to avoid anything Mercedes as they are a bitch to get worked on around here. There are Lexus, Cadillac and BMW dealers nearby. It’s 2.5 hours to the nearest Benz dealer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Gen 3 Raptor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 2016 ATS-V Automatic with Recaro's. 2,600 mile round trips I love it for road trips compared to my Colorado ZR2.
Cruising at 75-80 Mph  24-26Mpg.

I think any of the Cadillac sedans with Magnetic Ride would make great road trip cars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Lincoln MKZ is out. Ride is not the best at all. My old 2001 Grand Marquis had a better ride than my 2017 MKZ. I would be looking at the Lincoln Continental. They could be had with AWD and a twin turbo V6 option making over 400 hp.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#26]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
What’s wrong with the Supra? It should be a nice grand tourer
View Quote

A nicely modded (not extreme) MKIV Supra Turbo is a Road Trip Highway King. Some of the longest legs around and an epic soundtrack.

I owned one for many years and up to the mid power stage (~600 RWHP), it was like a steroid enhanced version of what the Aston Martin DB7 or Porsche 928 could have been.  At the higher power levels (monster fuel injectors) gas mileage dropped off a bit and things became more complicated, but the more clear and present danger was the constant temptation to do maniac 5th (~200 mph) and 6th gear (225-260 mph depending on your mods) Hand-of-God pulls, dangerous to your driver's license....

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
CT5-V Blackwing or GTFO
View Quote

Just built one to my spec....$130k lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
We have two CTS. One V sedan and a sport wagon. When we take a trip of any distance, and get honest about comfort, we take our long bed, crew cab, Duramax. I'd have never thought a 3/4 T truck could be more comfortable than a Cadillac but that long wheelbase really smooths out the highways.
View Quote

Yeah, I wish my F250 Lariat CCSB was a CCLB

Wheel base does matter on heavy duty trucks
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By confused89:
Lincoln MKZ is out. Ride is not the best at all. My old 2001 Grand Marquis had a better ride than my 2017 MKZ. I would be looking at the Lincoln Continental. They could be had with AWD and a twin turbo V6 option making over 400 hp.
View Quote

I had a Continental as a loaner while my Nautilus was in for warranty work. Wanted to like it better than I did. Might have traded if I had, but a couple days in it killed that idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Lexus GS-F.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
My current Yukon Denali is the best road trip vehicle that I’ve ever owned or rented.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Just make sure it has a spare tire. Preferably, full size matching.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:

CT5-V Blackwing. Just as fast, far more class
View Quote

If your 80 years old.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#34]
LS all day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
Audi RS6
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#37]
F250 Platinum.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By slow3v:
Your second line told me all I needed to know.

FWD is ALWAYS inferior. You don't realize it if you're an A to B person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
You'd be better served buying a new Kia vs a used BMW.

Why does a commuter car need to be RWD? Fun factor?

Sounds like you have some conflicting priorities to work through.

A Camry is pretty much the ultimate commuter car, but I don't think awd is offered there. The Prius has AWD. But then again their lane following assist is garbage compared to others'.

So maybe a list of priorities in order would be helpful?

I'm all about RWD myself, but FWD can be fun too. Setup right, they can be tossed sideways very safely and predictably.

I'd go with a B58 powered BMW given what you seem to be after.  M5 if you have money to burn.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]

A Camry
View Quote

Pretty sure the OP said nice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Lexus
View Quote

Showing up at a client’s place with a Lexus or BMW indicates that you’re raping them.

The ultimate business sedan is a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#41]
We bought the Wife a Lincoln Aviator a couple of years ago. It's like a personal limo. Worth a look. I'd buy her another one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lulz at having your drive wheels steer the Cara’s well.  

OP, while not the most professional car, what about a new WRX? With mods and a MT, it could be a lot of fun
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#43]
750i
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:

Lulz at having your drive wheels steer the Cara’s well.  

View Quote

@elijah1

I ain't got no notion of what you and Cara got going on, but I can tell ya' pics ain't loadin'
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I would buy a used crown Vic cop car , put a support law enforcement plate on it and speeed the hell outta it
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd look for an old Lincoln Mark 8 ir Continentsl. Can probably find a clean Continental from a little old lady for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#47]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Audi A6 is nice. The previous nice road trip car I had before my ES350UL was a '16 A6 3.0t Prestige with the B&O sound system (tweeters came out of the dash), FLIR, massaging seats, auto driving aids, and 18" tires and it was a dream on long trips. I regret selling it during covid now but it probably would have been a basket case long term compared to the ES.

The Caddy's mentioned in here with supercruise would also be worth looking at. I really don't know how good long term reliability is on them so it depends on how long you plan on actually keeping the vehicles.
View Quote

Agree. I'd suggest a '21+ A6 Premium Plus 3.0

My 2nd choice would be a '17+ 540i X Drive. Any G30 would be fine tho, just preference once driven.

Either fills your requirements nicely with the 5 having the performance edge. I wouldn't be concerned with either as an occasional use vehicle.  Buy CPO for assurance, but a good example with a stellar PPI would not concern me.

Attachment Attached File

I will say, to eat miles, my personal fav is any B58 G11 (740i)  I won't revist the N63. I escaped but I'd be the first to admit . . .I prolly (certainly) won't return. Perhaps misguided, but it's my belief and I won't reco others what I wouldn't do myself.

Attachment Attached File

The B58 is more than adequate, but the bay less impressive than something with the retired V12 (N74). B58 is solid  - the later B58B30M1 is a bit better, maybe worth being selective. It returns remarkable efficiency at 90+. Reduced status at the club is likely the sole drawback. If that's your bent, and you hate yourself, buy a 760Li. Or really just move directly on to a Spur - V8 or not.

I find I prefer the space, ergos and ride. Not hugely, but noticeably. Here less is more (base-ish is plentifully rewarding and preferable) and if this route, CPO. Perhaps a bit soft given your ambitions, but for me the comfort overcomes. If my main use was to get from Hamburg to Munich, self driven on SuperSlab, regularly, this would be my car.

GS or Cadillac would be honourable mentions but neither handle high speed distance as well as the Germans. Prolly not an LS, I'd go 7 there. TMC wins the QRD battle, Caddi - well. . .drive some. S, CLS or E would be options, I eschew MB tho. I cant get past the Panarama styling, tho the sport seats are tops. I haven't done hours in one but I'll take DK's experience confidently. A Panther is an interesting option, all are pretty long in the tooth so might need a good deal of attention. But freshened and improved, maybe. Modular . . . Hmm.  Not sure I'd want a project here. Decade newer (at least) Dingolfling wins.

Attachment Attached File

I hafta say BMW has some bling shit tho

ETA clarity

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

They definitely are. I have a Hellcat and while it’s extremely comfortable for two, I need a sedan. Also, mine has straight pipes so you can hear it from space.
View Quote

Challenger seats suck ass. the fuck up my back in short order.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Rented a 2011 Mercury Marquis, drove it HARD from Portland to Reno, Lake Tahoe through Mendocino over to Ft Bragg, and then north up the 101 coast.. Beautiful trip, whole family aboard. great times. Comfortable car for  the road.
 Similar year Crown Vic with a Supercharger would be better, Brembo and Bilsteins, FAT TOYOS would help too.
You can build a LOT more car than you can buy for a given pile of dollars now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
Rented a 2011 Mercury Marquis, drove it HARD from Portland to Reno, Lake Tahoe through Mendocino over to Ft Bragg, and then north up the 101 coast.. Beautiful trip, whole family aboard. great times. Comfortable car for  the road.
 Similar year Crown Vic with a Supercharger would be better, Brembo and Bilsteins, FAT TOYOS would help too.
You can build a LOT more car than you can buy for a given pile of dollars now.
View Quote

If my business was selling weed to high school kids, I might give a heavily modded Crown Vic serious consideration.
Page / 3
Top Top