Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/4/2024 3:46:44 PM EDT
Someone I know recently bought an HA-420 from a surgeon (who was upgrading equipment).

That's a ~$5MM jet that I'm thinking costs not a penny under $1MM/year to operate, likely more.

Do surgeons make THAT kind of money?

Keep in mind, dude likely lives in a baller-level house and when he goes places in his jet, he likely doesn't sit in a Holiday Inn Express room and play solitaire on his 'puter all day.

To me, if just doesn't add up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Multi-generational money?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Patents
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the specialty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
diversified.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I know an A&P that used to work for GE. He is fucking loaded due to owning a bunch of patents that are licensed out.

It’s not unreasonable a surgeon could be making way more than his salary / office income.

Also know an Anesthesiologist that’s wealthy from real estate investing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought Bitcoin 10yrs ago
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You don’t know what his other investments are?      

People get money from all different sources.    Did he inherit anything?

Why is this even a question?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheKill] [#9]
Yes, they make BANK.  Although it's not quite as lavish as it used to be now with CMS capping costs and driving the reimbursement train.

Girl has her tits redone.  IIRC it was $12k, $7k of that went right to the surgeon.  He was at the hospital at 7am, in surgery at 7:30, and he did her and three others before lunch.  That's $16k straight profit in a half a day.  He did surgeries on M, W, and Fr.  Did his office visits Tue, Thurs, and Sat.

So imagine doing 5 a day, that's 15 per week at 7k each.  That is $105k/week.  Assuming taking a month off per year, the gross revenue involved is $5M/yr.  Take out expenses for a small office for consults and post op exams, including a front office/biller, and a nurse.  Still a SHIT TON of money.  

And......most surgeons are Type A workaholics too, so most of them aren't just working 6 hours a day five days a week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Depends on the specialty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I get it, but if you're going to own a jet, any jet, you need the renewable kind of money, not the "I happened to win the sperm lottery" type money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If this guy can have multiple jets, I don't see why a surgeon can't have at least one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#13]
Absolutely.
Dude I know owns a practice with 10+ other surgeons on staff.
Has significant revenue from procedures/ patents and does consulting for medical device manufacturers.

I’m assuming he runs everything through the LLC but he might have other income sources that I’m not aware of.
Either way, he’s ballin’ pretty hard..

My neighbor 2 doors down is a heart surgeon.
Doesn’t have a jet, but even as a solo practitioner, his lifestyle tells me he’s pulling 7 figures just cutting on people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Only $199.99 a month and this baby could be yours.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
If this guy can have multiple jets, I don't see why a surgeon can't have at least one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Screenshot_2024-05-04_125340_jpg-3205448.JPG
View Quote

Who the f__k is that guy?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Some peoples finances aren’t dependent on only their paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
I get it, but if you're going to own a jet, any jet, you need the renewable kind of money, not the "I happened to win the sperm lottery" type money.
View Quote

What’s your backround?     I inquire, because I don’t want to ask “are you retarded”

It’s possible that you are just wildly naive in the ways of the world.  

I’ve managed a couple of personally owned corp jets and turboprops, so maybe I can help you understand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Scrawny blondes adult woman singing about all the turmoil she feels after her dozens of breakups has a few, so I don't see why a surgeon who is obviously more skilled & valuable to a man shouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

A nut.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure, especially if they own a couple patents useful to the medical field.

Also, if they're on the board at a big hospital they could have income from more sources than just their own surgical work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, can confirm.

In many cases docs will share co-ownership of a jet with their colleagues to help displace the cost of ownership.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the assumption that the surgeon's only income is from performing surgery is why the OP is surprised and shocked.

A lot of doctors I've worked with came from family money.  

Some lots of it.

And then there are patents, consulting, and all kinds of other income not related to the OR
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are the senior partner of a large and well run group AND you own the outpatient surgical center you might earn that kind of money. If you are just a cutter you will not make that kind of money. Unless perhaps, you don’t take insurance and service a very wealthy clientele
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe he is a world class plastic surgeon who works miracles like this......................

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Screenshot_2024-05-04_125340_jpg-3205448.JPG

"Minister" Kenneth Copeland.  The interview associated with the photo.  

Full Interview: Preacher Kenneth Copeland Defends Lavish Lifestyle
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

What’s your backround?     I inquire, because I don’t want to ask “are you retarded”

It’s possible that you are just wildly naive in the ways of the world.  

I’ve managed a couple of personally owned corp jets and turboprops, so maybe I can help you understand.
View Quote

Part 135 businesses I’m guessing?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye100] [#28]
Dr. Fred Simeone did pretty well for himself.  This museum has some of the rarest race cars in the world in it.  It may not be an airplane but I bet these cars add up to a hell of a lot more than a private jet.

ETA: Dr. Simeone was a surgeon.  He carved up my wife's back twice.  He was well known for being one of the best in Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
You don’t know what his other investments are?      

People get money from all different sources.    Did he inherit anything?

Why is this even a question?
View Quote

This.  THe guy may have inherited money. They guy may have patents on medical equipment. THe guy may have made side investments that paid off. He may have taken his surgial knowlege and created a medial equipment company  A surgeon's salary is not going to support a private jet but all of those other things certainly could have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
I think the assumption that the surgeon's only income is from performing surgery is why the OP is surprised and shocked.

Some lots of it.

And then there are patents, consulting, and all kinds of other income not related to the OR
View Quote
And if they are owners in the facility.

Doing the work isn't where most of the money is made. Owning the facility that does the procedures is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#31]
He could have had successful investments that bought the jet.  He could be a part-owner of the jet (like a co-op thing).

Operating costs could be significantly offset if not completely covered by just chartering out the jet when not in use.  Lots of people that have yachts and beachfront villas and jets and deepwater fishing boats charter/rent them out 75% of the time they aren't being used.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodn] [#32]
Well..  an eye surgeon was killed in his P-40 last summer.

I know it's not a private jet.  But...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Could own his own surgery center business. Exaggerating expenses. Sure, I could see that. In my line of work, the PPP allowed more than you think to buy luxury import cars and mansions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

View Quote

Are his remains still in China?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:

Doing the work isn't where most of the money is made. Owning the facility that does the procedures is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

Some lots of it.

An old adage--you don't get rich being a surgeon but a smart surgeon can leverage his higher than usual salary into something that makes him rich.  I invested in commercial properties that bring me more now than my day job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
Maybe he is a world class plastic surgeon who works miracles like this......................

https://external-preview.redd.it/5QbdQMa3GOSaOogzmpPiBpuTTkh5o8jw9BoHXswm6Ow.jpg?auto=webp&s=b07e86620fb4b0a290d8eaec893bb32d36adfb8f
View Quote

I've only ever seen her in makeup.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, very possible. In med school, I did a rotation with a pair of retinal surgeons. They were both pilots too. They owned a small jet that they flew to the various clinics in the intermountain west. Their equipment costs hundreds of thousands and they weren't about to check it in a commercial plane's hold. They owned the jet as a business asset and expense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#38]
Totally possible.

As an example, a urologist,  who is part of a LUGPA group that is also a partner of the group

There are some very wealthy physicians among us.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Originally Posted By Goodn:

If Montana is in China... Sure.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Not likely off his salary.

https://www.indeed.com/career/surgeon/salaries

A good friend owns a private practice and is Chair of gen surgery at the biggest healthcare provider in my state.  He does well but not owning a private jet well.  On the other hand a friend owns machine shop that makes orthopedic implants.  They own a pair of citations and some smaller prop stuff their spoiled kids fly(pilot) around in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

A man of god, allegedly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I know a retired af pilot with one. He went into a business deal with a pilot trainer that wanted to get into business for himself but didn't have the ability to finance a plane.

They worked a deal out, dude started a business training pilots and hired the trainer and writes most of the plane off on taxes. The trainer maintains the jet (not physically but know what's required to keep the plane air worthy) and if the owner needs a flight to a business meeting (happens 2/3 times a year) and doesn't interfere with the training he gets to be a pimp and fly private lol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably richest guy I know is a Dr who invented stuff too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#44]
James Andrews has a 9-digit net worth.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
Yes, can confirm.

In many cases docs will share co-ownership of a jet with their colleagues to help displace the cost of ownership.
View Quote

Came to say this.  Fractional ownership.  At some point the group sells it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ruin:

A man of god, allegedly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ruin:

A man of god, allegedly.

Now, now. You just donate more to his "ministry" and you might just find yourself more in God's favor as well and enjoy similar worldly success.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Cosmetic plastic surgeons, especially in places like Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc. can make A LOT of money. It isn't just surgeries, they do injections of Botox, fillers, etc. All cash so no insurance or Medicare nonsense. If they are smart they will diversify and invest, and many do. While other surgeons still make good money, it isn't at the level of cosmetic plastic surgeons who are almost exclusively cash.

So yes, surgeons can own private jets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Local guy I like (did an excellent job with my father) ran his own cardiovascular surgical center and satellite offices. He exclusively does surgeries.

He's done VERY well and only in his 40's. Another 10-15 years of big income and aggressive investments? Sky's the limit.

Throw in real-estate and other side businesses, partnerships, who knows.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Now, now. You just donate more to his "ministry" and you might just find yourself more in God's favor as well and enjoy similar worldly success.
View Quote

Yeah.  Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Part 135 business write off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top