Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/5/2024 1:07:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoGoRider]
No affiliation to him, seen a YouTube video with him and Canadian Prepper and mentioned the free download book and link.

Grid Down: Death of a Nation: The Psychology and Physiology of: Human Desperation, Starvation, and Living Without Rule of Law through a Prolonged Grid

Grid Down: Death of a Nation, is an eye-opening report on the psychology and physiology of Human Desperation, Starvation, and living in a world Without-Rule-of-Law.  This report was originally created for the U.S. Air Force Electromagnetic Defense Task Force and is referenced in its 2019 report.  

"Grid Down: Death of a Nation" is a resource for emergency planners in the public or private sector who are interested in understanding the societal implications of a long-term grid-down scenario brought on by an EMP attack, a massive CME (solar flare), devastating cyber-attack, or physical attack that could potentially destroy America's electric grid.

https://www.griddownconsulting.com/grid-down-report

If you want to buy instead amazon has it. Free is mora better.

Here is a few things about Jonathan Hollerman, more at his link below.

- Deputy Director - US Task Force on National and Homeland Security
- Former military S.E.R.E (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) Instructor
- #1 Bestselling Author on Preparedness
- Electromagnetic Defense Task Force(EDTF)
- Senior Fellow at EMPact America
- Member - Secure the Grid Coalition
- President of Grid Down Consulting

https://www.griddownconsulting.com/biography

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
One can procure, preserve, store and prepare food without GRID power.
It's been done for centuries.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Who was the UN Food Aide Director that said,"Food is power. We use that to get what we want."?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The video, I seen.

?ALERT: SECURITY EXPERTS WARNING FOR PREPPERS, "I'VE NEVER SEEN IT LIKE THIS BEFORE"
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be interesting if the grid goes down in America. Many will starve but not before expending lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Positronic:
View Quote

80% of people will die off in the first year, I bet. All the wild game and a lot of fish will depleted. 99.5% of people, have no idea how to preserve any food.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:05:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
It will be interesting if the grid goes down in America. Many will starve but not before expending lots of ammo.
View Quote

Most people freakout, when they lose power for a few hours. I've seen people with out power for 24 hours, and people tempers really flare up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

... but only by the 10% that survive.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:

Most people freakout, when they lose power for a few hours. I've seen people with out power for 24 hours, and people tempers really flare up.
View Quote
Lived in a tent for 3 months while helping dad  build a cabin... Lived in Cabin for a couple years before it got electricity.
Heated with wood, and coal.
Kerosene and gasoline lamps.
Cooked over propane, wood fired oven.
Summer we kept perishables down in the creek, stay cold. Winter we chopped ICE out of the creek, melted for  water.
We did alright.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Hollerman makes the point that yes... you may do just fine off the grid.

But the thing that will get you is food will become scarce in the cities, and everyone will leave and come for your shit.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Lived in a tent for 3 months while helping dad  build a cabin... Lived in Cabin for a couple years before it got electricity.
Summer we kept perishables down in the creek, stay cold. Winter we chopped ICE out of the creek, melted for  water.
We did alright.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We did alright.

Good. Those skills could potentially put you with the 10% of people that might survive.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:26:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#11]
Iirc those are photos from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment which was conducted at the University of Minnesota during WWII. Everyone is a lot fatter now to begin with. No one ever addresses how much longer fat people can starve.

Anyone in refrigerated meds, O2, CPAP, morbidly obese would be in bad trouble.

ETA: I’ve skimmed a bit. The entire nationwide nuclear, high altitude emp strike is really only the capability of China and Russia. Even that's not certain. MAD rules apply our boomers and silos would retaliate. The guy who owns an emp emergency preparedness consulting business wrote this. In a way it's a modern recycling of cold war nuclear armageddon lore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]

80% of people will die off in the first year, I bet. All the wild game and a lot of fish will depleted. 99.5% of people, have no idea how to preserve any food.
View All Quotes

Canning is still very common around here in rural Central Kentucky. Walmart and all the stores sell canning supplies
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#13]
If you are in the city or even in the burbs, you are screwed if you stay. Ammo stacked deep and wide can not save your ass. If you do not get out early, you are screwed. The first thing the authorities will do is put up roadblocks. Desperate people will not screw around with you. If your bug-to-location is not already stocked and set up to grow your own food, you are screwed. The best thing you can do is live there and develop your location.  The resources you have now will not be counted on later. Gas and propane are good for a month or so but when the gas is gone then what? Solar is expensive but more reliable than wind. Do you know how to make charcoal? It is far more efficient than burning a dozen chords of wood and sending up smoke signals.

If you think you can play the lone wolf you will be a dead wolf. If you are not planning to live long term, you won't.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:37:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#14]
My wife, three kids, and I lived in a 19 ft. camper for 18 months while we built our house. We survived. It was not a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

The persistent "I will live off the land" myth is so tiresome.  Unless you are somewhere like yourself where the population is sparse and the conditions inhospitable to migration there will not be a deer, rabbit, squirrel or rat alive to eat within a month or two of a complete collapse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I have read his fiction and non fiction books.

I really enjoyed them. He lays out some grim scenarios of what could happen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Pffft...not worried about no stinkin' grid going down for long when we've got itinerant gypsy electrogrid pole climbers like Jamal Pettimore cruising the country looking for fresh wives and daughters to bed. Pffft...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

If you can protect that food source 24/365.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
We did alright.
View All Quotes

We did alright.

How many men did you bury and how many family members did you lose protecting that?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#20]
We did alright.
View Quote

Only there would be no kerosene or propane. And no perishables. You would have to grow your own food. Can you do it? I can't.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

How many men did you bury and how many family members did you lose protecting that?
View Quote
I think a lot of people forget that the biggest problem is going to be other people, at least for a while. When hungry city people start fanning out into the rural areas looking for food and water, they are going to try to take it from anyone who stocked up with it. Infrastructure is what makes urban crowding possible. Remove it and problems are going to pop up exponentially.

There's a lot of talk about Chinese hackers being able to get into the grid and shut it down. Isn't the grid sectionalized? To pull off a total grid-down hacker move, they'd have to be in every system everywhere. That doesn't included physical damage to things like substations, though. With the number of military-age hostiles now well behind the wire, they could cause some serious mayhem before getting caught or incapacitated. Especially if they all acted at once. In the chaos and confusion, no one would know what was happening or what to do. They could probably do enough damage to cause a major power outage for several months. That would be rough. Most people don't have the resources to last that long with no utilities.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-How-Long-Would-Society-Last-During-a-Total-Grid-Collapse-/5-2654396/?page=1
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Good thing I've got me some solar panels, guess I'll miss out on all the doom.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RTX:
Pffft...not worried about no stinkin' grid going down for long when we've got itinerant gypsy electrogrid pole climbers like Jamal Pettimore cruising the country looking for fresh wives and daughters to bed. Pffft...
View Quote
you rang?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I think a lot of people forget that the biggest problem is going to be other people, at least for a while. When hungry city people start fanning out into the rural areas looking for food and water, they are going to try to take it from anyone who stocked up with it. Infrastructure is what makes urban crowding possible. Remove it and problems are going to pop up exponentially.

There's a lot of talk about Chinese hackers being able to get into the grid and shut it down. Isn't the grid sectionalized? To pull off a total grid-down hacker move, they'd have to be in every system everywhere. That doesn't included physical damage to things like substations, though. With the number of military-age hostiles now well behind the wire, they could cause some serious mayhem before getting caught or incapacitated. Especially if they all acted at once. In the chaos and confusion, no one would know what was happening or what to do. They could probably do enough damage to cause a major power outage for several months. That would be rough. Most people don't have the resources to last that long with no utilities.
View Quote
you wrote a lot.

if you only knew how close the grid is to collapsing on any given day.

you ready to go all mad max when it's fo time?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By batjka104:

Only there would be no kerosene or propane. And no perishables. You would have to grow your own food. Can you do it? I can't.
View Quote
only things i'm hoarding in 2024 are a couple pallets of bacon SPAM, a couple pallets of Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice, a couple pallets of Beef Flavour Cup O' Soups, a pallet of Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli for top performing members of my post apocalyptic harem of hot young MILFs, couple pairs of well broken in black leather Austrian paratrooper boots, multiple five packs of razor sharp south merican machetes for arming my post apocalyptic harem of hot young fully shaved crossfit girls and 110-lb college rower chicks, couple cases of Coconut Mango Moisturizing Shave Cream and LadyBics so the harem can keep themselves as smoove as Tennessee whisky during the end of days, a three pack of cheap white tube socks, a pair of studded black leather chaps, a Bane coat, a gas mask, a Harbour Freight hatchet and Shitsburgh Pro framing hammer for hand weapons, and a gallon of baby oil.

i'm good to go, slick.

@CastleBravo91

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Hit fast forward before I'm too old.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Heineken:
Hit fast forward before I'm too old.
View Quote
i want the collapse to come whilst i'm still young enough to enjoy my post collapse career as a Negan-esque warlord in post apocalyptic seattle.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

How did that Kerosene, Coal and Gasoline get to you?

True, no modern support, 1800's style living would be brutally hard on 99.99999% of all of us.
View Quote
buddy of mine likes to say when the cold beer runs out he's punching out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#33]
@RTX

i'm working in eastern WY and discovered an amish community nearby.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/rocketminer/opinion/columnists/stop-look-and-listen-a-message-from-pastor-richard-p-carlson/article_e250805c-2c88-11ee-8365-ff15c089dbfd.html

thinking of hanging up my kleins and going native for a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#34]
View Quote

Yes, but not on the scales necessary to prevent a modern, JIT-logistics-based, distributed-administration-and-production, electrically-powered civilization of our density from collapsing in a sea of blood and fire and disease.

It's the same thing as suddenly turning the airliner OFF at 30,000 feet and telling everyone onboard that humanity got along perfectly well without heavier-than-air flight, before 1903.  That the statement is true is not really relevant to the people who suddenly have to worry about whether they can cobble together a parachute from what is in their carry-on luggage.

Yes, some people (who have made the trade-off in modern productivity to do so) are in better (though not necessarily guaranteed-survival) positions because they don't live in an urban/suburban area, have access to clean and reliable well water, and grow their own food.  The bulk of the population, who don't do that (because their labor is directed elsewhere*), are in great difficulty when the Grid goes dark.

*-and if your position is that anyone not arranging their lives to be completely/near-completely food and water secure in the event of a Grid collapse is a fool.....the basis of our modern civilization relies on most people not doing that, which is why we are able to have hospitals full of skilled medical professionals, the Internet which makes this conversation possible, and all the farm gear people use to grow their secure food supplies, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#36]
wiener freeze is no motherfuckin' joke, man.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View All Quotes

Persian Princess only want warm weiners
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

Persian Princess only want warm weiners
View Quote
the old hot beef injection, big shooter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#39]
No affiliation to him, seen a YouTube video with him and Canadian Prepper and mentioned the free download book and link.

Grid Down: Death of a Nation: The Psychology and Physiology of: Human Desperation, Starvation, and Living Without Rule of Law through a Prolonged Grid

Grid Down: Death of a Nation, is an eye-opening report on the psychology and physiology of Human Desperation, Starvation, and living in a world Without-Rule-of-Law.  This report was originally created for the U.S. Air Force Electromagnetic Defense Task Force and is referenced in its 2019 report.  

"Grid Down: Death of a Nation" is a resource for emergency planners in the public or private sector who are interested in understanding the societal implications of a long-term grid-down scenario brought on by an EMP attack, a massive CME (solar flare), devastating cyber-attack, or physical attack that could potentially destroy America's electric grid.

- Former military S.E.R.E (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) Instructor

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHLC1JWP

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41kU3ApGdDL._SX342_SY445_.jpg

View Quote

His timeline of events is way, way too short. Reading that we go from a normal, boring day to Mad Max in less than a week. That's just unrealistic fear mongering. Further, if the grid goes down nationwide, the notion that emergency management agencies, TV/radio, and first responders instantly stop is just wrong. All EMAs in decent sized cities that I'm aware of have back-up power for their comms and ops centers for at least 3 days.

As for announcements from FEMA/.gov as a whole, it's not clear what would be expected. What are they going to say, "Hey folks, power grid just went down and it's going to be months to a year before it comes back up. Hope you stocked up. Have a nice day."? They'll lie, pump out some propaganda, and hope to keep the panic down to a minimum. They'll deploy the National Guard and other military units to try to keep order. That will work until the .mil logistics train starts to fail. Then they'll probably all go home to protect their own families.

Also, it's highly likely that some of our "allies" will pitch in to at least supply basic supplies like fuel (assuming they're not in the same boat). Fuel is the key as without it, nothing moves or gets done. Our entire food supply chain revolves around fuel being available at all levels. If we have fuel, we won't have starvation. If we don't have fuel to plant, harvest, process, and transport food, then it all goes to hell in a handbasket long before the grid can be restored.

It's an interesting read for sure and something to consider when looking at potential SHTF scenarios that you may want to give at least passing attention to. I've lived near sea level for the last 30+ years. Without power to run the city sewage pumping stations, things would get nasty really, really quickly. The city in Virginia where I lived had 7 days worth of fuel for all of the water and sewage station generators and their EOC (although their ritzy new EOC backup power failed while I was talking to one of the EMA managers. Darkness in a building with no windows is not conducive to good emergency operations). Here I'm not sure about. They may rely on short-term rental generators that are brought in from elsewhere for hurricane season. That's great except for when the power goes out unexpectedly. We did have some water (at really low pressure) during the Great Texas Deep Freeze of 2021. Power was out for 3.5 days here for that. Toilets worked so I assume sewage pumping had backup power of some sort (though I live on the 3rd floor so it probably wouldn't back up this high up for a while).

Most all emergency planning assumes "help" is available from unaffected areas and you just have to hold on a little while (3 days to a week) until the cavalry arrives. In a nationwide grid down, that assumption goes right out the window.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RTX:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#41]
only things i'm hoarding in 2024 are a couple pallets of bacon SPAM, a couple pallets of Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice, a couple pallets of Beef Flavour Cup O' Soups, a pallet of Chef Boyardee Mini Ravioli for top performing members of my post apocalyptic harem of hot young MILFs, couple pairs of well broken in black leather Austrian paratrooper boots, multiple five packs of razor sharp south merican machetes for arming my post apocalyptic harem of hot young fully shaved crossfit girls and 110-lb college rower chicks, couple cases of Coconut Mango Moisturizing Shave Cream and LadyBics so the harem can keep themselves as smoove as Tennessee whisky during the end of days, a three pack of cheap white tube socks, a pair of studded black leather chaps, a Bane coat, a gas mask, a Harbour Freight hatchet and Shitsburgh Pro framing hammer for hand weapons, and a gallon of baby oil.

i'm good to go, slick.

@CastleBravo91

View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

His timeline of events is way, way too short. Reading that we go from a normal, boring day to Mad Max in less than a week. That's just unrealistic fear mongering. Further, if the grid goes down nationwide, the notion that emergency management agencies, TV/radio, and first responders instantly stop is just wrong. All EMAs in decent sized cities that I'm aware of have back-up power for their comms and ops centers for at least 3 days.

As for announcements from FEMA/.gov as a whole, it's not clear what would be expected. What are they going to say, "Hey folks, power grid just went down and it's going to be months to a year before it comes back up. Hope you stocked up. Have a nice day."? They'll lie, pump out some propaganda, and hope to keep the panic down to a minimum. They'll deploy the National Guard and other military units to try to keep order. That will work until the .mil logistics train starts to fail. Then they'll probably all go home to protect their own families.

Also, it's highly likely that some of our "allies" will pitch in to at least supply basic supplies like fuel (assuming they're not in the same boat). Fuel is the key as without it, nothing moves or gets done. Our entire food supply chain revolves around fuel being available at all levels. If we have fuel, we won't have starvation. If we don't have fuel to plant, harvest, process, and transport food, then it all goes to hell in a handbasket long before the grid can be restored.

It's an interesting read for sure and something to consider when looking at potential SHTF scenarios that you may want to give at least passing attention to. I've lived near sea level for the last 30+ years. Without power to run the city sewage pumping stations, things would get nasty really, really quickly. The city in Virginia where I lived had 7 days worth of fuel for all of the water and sewage station generators and their EOC (although their ritzy new EOC backup power failed while I was talking to one of the EMA managers. Darkness in a building with no windows is not conducive to good emergency operations). Here I'm not sure about. They may rely on short-term rental generators that are brought in from elsewhere for hurricane season. That's great except for when the power goes out unexpectedly. We did have some water (at really low pressure) during the Great Texas Deep Freeze of 2021. Power was out for 3.5 days here for that. Toilets worked so I assume sewage pumping had backup power of some sort (though I live on the 3rd floor so it probably wouldn't back up this high up for a while).

Most all emergency planning assumes "help" is available from unaffected areas and you just have to hold on a little while (3 days to a week) until the cavalry arrives. In a nationwide grid down, that assumption goes right out the window.
View Quote
you wrote a lot.

merican cities will burn approximately 87 hours post grid collapse.

i'm strangely comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#43]
you wrote a lot.

View All Quotes

you wrote a lot.

American society has a lot of inertia in it. Nothing happens fast. Nothing. Most people are just too self-absorbed to notice anything going on around them. It'll take 3 days to realize they won't be getting their double mocha latte from Starbucks any more. They'll piss and moan about it and post on social media totally oblivious to the seriousness of the bigger issues.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Our country and are way of life are ripe for a change.  Like rotten fruit falling from the tree.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#45]

American society has a lot of inertia in it. Nothing happens fast. Nothing. Most people are just too self-absorbed to notice anything going on around them. It'll take 3 days to realize they won't be getting their double mocha latte from Starbucks any more. They'll piss and moan about it and post on social media totally oblivious to the seriousness of the bigger issues.
View All Quotes

you wrote a lot.

With no grid ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
you need to get out more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh no...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
Thanks OP.
View Quote
+1  
That was a sobering read.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

You're assuming this is the same society here as 150-200 years ago.

It's not...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#50]

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHLC1JWP

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41kU3ApGdDL._SX342_SY445_.jpg

View Quote
I don't think our grid would be the only one down and anyone who is thinking about it knows theirs would also be down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top