Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2024 12:04:41 AM EDT
I know everyone here is squared away on ars... right? Anyway, in case you get nagged and don't feel like getting into, here is a video to cover anyone with any budget. Figured this would be slightly relevant around here.

The Video For “What AR15 Should I Buy?”
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:49:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#1]
"If you don't have $4K to spend on your rifle, just get a PSA."

There, I saved you all 15 minutes of nearly incomprehensible rambling. It's like he's reading a bad AI attempt at writing a script.

What the fuck OP?

Edit Perhaps it's sarcasm and not just bad? Hard to tell these days, we live in idiocracy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
TBH almost any off the shelf AR-15 these days far exceeds the abilities of most shooters.....the right combination of a quality optic, good ammo and lots of trigger time You'll see great results....alot of the differences are trivial things the internet squawks about, but in reality, make no difference at all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
KAC RAS
Eotech 552
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Every question and answer on a gun forum
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
TBH almost any off the shelf AR-15 these days far exceeds the abilities of most shooters.....the right combination of a quality optic, good ammo and lots of trigger time You'll see great results....alot of the differences are trivial things the internet squawks about, but in reality, make no difference at all.
View Quote

Last year I decided my eyes were too bad to continue shooting CMP with irons anymore and decided to rebuild my AR.

I went with a basic match configuration from a no name company (Acme Machine) and a fairly inexpensive basic scope.

Now mind you, I still shoot only my local club matches anymore but it does the job as well as I can.

As for the upper itself, I was pleasantly surprised to see it shoot a MOA with my older service rifle reloads of 24.5 Varget and a Hornady 68.

To answer the OP's question, either run with whatever super duper big buck AR of the month is or just get a PSA.

A PSA will shoot better than most people can when you think about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY7JRd9Lhf8
View Quote

hahah -  voices are a nice touch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

There, I saved you all 15 minutes of nearly incomprehensible rambling. It's like he's reading a bad AI attempt at writing a script.

What the fuck OP?

Edit Perhaps it's sarcasm and not just bad? Hard to tell these days, we live in idiocracy.
View Quote

You rang?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
i just wonder how long the membership and mods are gonna allow you to continuously post up your youtube videos using the forum for clicks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]

What the fuck OP?

View Quote

Exactly! Their daily deals means you can usually get one for less than $600. Hell, sometimes less than $500.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MHowski:
KAC RAS
Eotech 552
Trijicon ACOG or Aimpoint RDS
View Quote

Those are the basics fellas. Night ops will require a few kit accessories.

For the record IMHO Eotech is junk - did not work for my eyes.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
The correct answer is "get both". Don't need a video for that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Not too long ago Garand Thumb did a burn down on a PSA AR.  PSA has got to be a best bang for the buck, especially for a starter AR.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Slyce:
i just wonder how long the membership and mods are gonna allow you to continuously post up your youtube videos using the forum for clicks.
View Quote

They are unmonetized and help like minded folks. Just because the information I give takes hours to plan,  set up,  film, edit, and upload- doesn't make it less valuable than the latest Taylor swift text post.
If you're not familiar with YouTube workings, the things I talk about will never be monetized, I have no sponsors- nor do I want them,  and i have 50 subscribers. The clicks benefit me nothing. I'm just trying to get the message out to people it might help. I offer my book up to also spread the message via link in video description.

In other words, first amendment's a bitch ain't it? This is my way of posting threads on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
None of my friends have ever consulted with me on their firearm purchases.

And I know better than all of them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bishop3:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MHowski:
KAC RAS
Eotech 552
Trijicon ACOG or Aimpoint RDS

Did not work for you, so therefore it will never work for anyone else. Got it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Made it 41 seconds and feel molested by that. DO NOT CLICK THAT VIDEO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#17]
You can’t beat a Colt for a serious rifle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a good barrel, trigger, and bcg.

So long as everything on the other stuff is in spec you'll have a decent AR.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GeistACWM:

View Quote

You should tell us which AR to buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#20]
A 7.62x39 AR that doesn’t use AK magazines.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Alnen123:

You rang?
View All Quotes

What the fuck OP?

You rang?

Assuming that it isn't a joke or troll, your video is just terrible disorganized rambling.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#22]
but but but but... The CHART!!!!

all of my multi brand frankenguns were awesome.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Assuming that it isn't a joke or troll, your video is just terrible disorganized rambling.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

And I've never eaten ostrich steaks...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#25]
Colt 6920
It's the Toyota camry of the gun world, it's not pretty or fancy but it just works.

If cost is a consideration buy a
PSA 16" w/nitride bbl and BCG.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Colt 6920
It's the Toyota camry of the gun world, it's not pretty or fancy but it just works.

View Quote

Agreed! My whole approach is that the optic, sling, light, ammo, and training to a level of proficiency will put one about $3.5k, and so spending the extra $500 on a beaut like a colt will delay the progression in a time where we are already behind the curve in consideration of world and national circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: basp2005] [#28]
My answer starts with how much you want to spend?  And how much you have reserved for ammunition, training, and other accessories?  I have friends who would drop 5k on a gun and not think about it at all, and other friends to whom 400 dollars is a lot of money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

That, and knowing what bullet weight to use for your barrel twist rate.  69 grain bullets out of a 1:9 barrel were frustrating until I learned about this.

This was a gun that shot better with bulk factory 55 grain ammo than carefully handloaded 69 grain ammo where the powder charges were weighed individually.  I probably spent 5 to 10 minutes per round making the stuff.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
TBH almost any off the shelf AR-15 these days far exceeds the abilities of most shooters....
View Quote

Dead on. The capabilities of most entry to mid level AR’s exceed the shooting skills of 95%+ of shooters. When I get asked “what AR should I buy?” my general advice is to purchase something somewhat budget & spend the savings on better optics. High end AR’s are better, but have serious diminishing returns for your average shooter as you go up in price. Every dollar spent on a great optic vs. a better rifle just has a better return in terms of shooting skills for the vast majority of people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Agreed! My whole approach is that the optic, sling, light, ammo, and training to a level of proficiency will put one about $3.5k, and so spending the extra $500 on a beaut like a colt will delay the progression in a time where we are already behind the curve in consideration of world and national circumstances.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Colt 6920

Your math does not check out. "If you have less then $4,000 just get the PSA" amid incoherent ramblings that ultimately describes the following:

He Recommends:
1. PSA AR $700
2. Aim point pro $500
3. Sling $150
4. Streamlight $120
5. Case of M193 $450
6. 10 Pmags $120
7. Class $500

Total $2,540 (full retail on everything. Pretty much all of it could be had for less shopping sales or whatever.)

And your what rifle to get video isn't even about rifles. "Just get the PSA" and PSA has 87 different offerings with a significant range of price and quality. And you could get a Colt, BCM, Daniel or Noveske outfitted the same, and still be under $4K.

Jesus.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrinningDag] [#32]
16" midlength, aimpoint pro, Magpul rifleman sling, streamlight 1000 lumen light, some picatinny rails if necessary.

You're good.

Edit: well I guess the ammo and mags do account for a good chunk of money.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Your math does not check out. "If you have less then $4,000 just get the PSA" amid incoherent ramblings that ultimately describes the following:

He Recommends:
1. PSA AR $700
2. Aim point pro $500
3. Sling $150
4. Streamlight $120
5. Case of M193 $450
6. 10 Pmags $120
7. Class $500

Total $2,540 (full retail on everything. Pretty much all of it could be had for less shopping sales or whatever.)

And your what rifle to get video isn't even about rifles. "Just get the PSA" and PSA has 87 different offerings with a significant range of price and quality. And you could get a Colt, BCM, Daniel or Noveske outfitted the same, and still be under $4K.

Jesus.
View Quote

You must not have followed the link in the video. That's OK, I've got you a breakdown. Your main problem was "class" and not "classes" btw...

Ep. 18: Modern Minuteman Competency & Training Schedule For The $5.53 Plan & The "Why?" Of Training
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Rocking with my lil ol M&P-15 VTAC no ragrets
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:47:42 AM EDT
[#35]

You must not have followed the link in the video. That's OK, I've got you a breakdown. Your main problem was "class" and not "classes" btw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08XAHSahiA
View All Quotes

He Recommends:
1. PSA AR $700
2. Aim point pro $500
3. Sling $150
4. Streamlight $120
5. Case of M193 $450
6. 10 Pmags $120
7. Class $500

Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08XAHSahiA

Holy crap another non stop rambling video, this one longer than the last. No way I'm watching that crap.

Once again, whatever your points are, I cannot over stress how poorly organized and articulated they are.

If you're going to attempt public speaking, or training, maybe take a class on that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Made it 41 seconds and feel molested by that. DO NOT CLICK THAT VIDEO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#37]
I have told a lot of people the past years to buy a PSA, no negative feedback from them yet
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Everyone bags on “The List” but when I got out of the Army in 2006, I was still a fud. I knew I carried a colt. But I had no idea what made it better. Sure times have changed. But even early BCM followed the list.

Whatever happened to tatical yellow visor? Did he go the way of gecco45?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cda97] [#39]
I send all my co-workers and friends to PSA and help them with their purchase then build/assemble their AR kit if need be.  Palmetto is a great first place for any first time AR15 owner with a lifetime warranty.

I also give them a few mags to get them started
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#40]
LMT, KAC or Colt
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cda97:
I send all my co-workers and friends to PSA and help them with their purchase then build/assemble their AR kit if need be.  Palmetto is a great first place for any first time AR15 owner with a lifetime warranty.

View Quote

The only consistent problems I have had out of PSA guns is that I'm pretty sure they torque their barrel nuts to 80,000psi. I've had to freeze every one of them I wanted to disassemble.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Epyon:

The only consistent problems I have had out of PSA guns is that I'm pretty sure they torque their barrel nuts to 80,000psi. I've had to freeze every one of them I wanted to disassemble.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Epyon:
Originally Posted By cda97:

I just use a red pipe wrench now. Comes off easy.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#43]
I’ll ask them a few questions.

How much do you want to spend and what do you plan on doing with it.

Depending on the answer I usually will send them the PSA, BCM, or LMT/KAC route. Some people don’t have very much to spend and others are driving around $800k boats and have plenty to spent.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Holy crap another non stop rambling video, this one longer than the last. No way I'm watching that crap.

Once again, whatever your points are, I cannot over stress how poorly organized and articulated they are.

If you're going to attempt public speaking, or training, maybe take a class on that.
View Quote

The points are literally spelled out and gone through chronologically. You have to remember that it is a wide potential audience that isn't familiar with the knowledge and terminology that we have.

How would you recommend I go about organizing my points? Genuinely curious, I want to be better but I don't know how to achieve what you have in mind.

I've taken public speaking when I took me some college. It is still weird for me to talk to a camera by myself in a room. It was easier for me to instruct a class of fire recruits, so I get that I may not be polished yet. Just trying to get better through experience and constructive feedback.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

A way to mount a light
Reliable red dot
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#46]
My current go to AR is a LE trade in 6920: $650 with:

Streamlight HLX rail mount: $200 approx
Sig Romeo 5: $120 approx
Cheap sling: $100 approx
7- 30rd Pmags with carry case deal: $100 approx
Minimum amount of ammo: $1,000 approx

Total cost: $ 2,170 on the high side.  Getting these through daily deals, and online sources, one could get all of it for around $1,800.

Make it a new 6920 at $950 and it is still around $2,500.

add training for $500 and it is $3,000.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#47]
PSA FN CHF or $400 AndroCorp to get your feet wet.

After you get familiar with ARs, start building them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Lucky you, my friends and everyone at work know I am the "gun guy" so they constantly ask me about every minuscule gun related thing

what grip should I get, what sight should I get, is this ammo any good, how do I buy a silencer, and so on and so on
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#50]

The points are literally spelled out and gone through chronologically. You have to remember that it is a wide potential audience that isn't familiar with the knowledge and terminology that we have.

How would you recommend I go about organizing my points? Genuinely curious, I want to be better but I don't know how to achieve what you have in mind.

I've taken public speaking when I took me some college. It is still weird for me to talk to a camera by myself in a room. It was easier for me to instruct a class of fire recruits, so I get that I may not be polished yet. Just trying to get better through experience and constructive feedback.
View Quote

First off, use a real dry erase board, and a more appropriate backdrop setting. It literally literally looks like you’re in your daughters room, sitting on the floor making these videos. It’s hard to gain credibility with just the optics that you’re presenting.
Also, less is more. Know your audience, if they are entry-level, stick with simple facts and terminology. If you’re going for the high speed operator types, that’s fine, too, in which case no need to oversimplify things. But either way, pick an audience and stick with it.
And definitely don’t make videos longer than about five minutes. Use multiple videos if you have to, but have objectives that you want to cover, and that’s it.
Give an introduction that makes someone willing to spend the next few minutes of their lives listening to what you have to say.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top