Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/3/2024 9:05:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07]
Since Covid wife and I don’t drive much. My Acura tires dry rotted in 2021, 2015 model likely OEM tires. Tire store said yeah, they done.

Wife’s tires on 2019 Lexus are fine on depth, 35k miles on them, but I want to keep her safe. I’m thinking I just replace them all due to age. Tires are the greatest safety your car has. I know they have dates on them and visually they look ok.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.

I've always worn them out before they aged out
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife's vehicle gets tires every three to four years.  My mom's vehicle is on this schedule too now that she lives with us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discount tire told my wife 10 years I think?

I think it also depends on location/climate conditions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No idea if (5) year old tires warrant replacement due to age. Perhaps have a tire shop that you use/trust check them out. Only thing I can think could be a concern would be soft sidewalls...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
NTSB says replace after 6 years
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, if she's bitching about tires, just replace them. It'll stop her complaining about the tires.

And they probably could stand to be replaced
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Tag for info.

I've always worn them out before they aged out
View Quote

Same here. But when my Acura tires dry rotted I was like “wait, I thought it was just tread depth?”  But apparently age is a thing.

If I didn’t have the habit of inspecting my tires once a month I’d never have realized I was driving on a time bomb.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#8]
Generally 7 years.

I think Michelin says 10 on thiers.

Blowouts on RVs are common due to Age.

I have driven a Combine with 35 year old drive tires that the tube was visible through the outer case separation. I lived.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Honestly, if she's bitching about tires, just replace them. It'll stop her complaining about the tires.

And they probably could stand to be replaced
View Quote

It’s not her. It’s me. My job is take care of the cars. We drive so little now a days I’ll just replace them. I was mainly asking about age. We all know about tread depth.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've still got a set of tires on a farm pickup that I replaced last in 1996.  I'll admit they are getting cracked and I need to replace them, but I keep it under 30 cruising to a field.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:

View Quote

10 is what I’ve heard. This is an interesting topic to me since as of Covid we don’t commute anymore and my car wears two sets of tires. Haven’t bothered switching to the summer tires in years and got them right before Covid, lol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Trailer tires hell yes every 36Mo.  Dry rot is a thing!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Daughter’s Vibe has tires that are 7 years old and probably have another 10k miles left on them, rule of thumb is 6 years. I replaced them today with new ones because winter traction is shit and the car slid through intersections in the winter with slush and snow on the road and rain has been a thing this spring so not taking any chances the next 2 years of its life.

They haven’t dry rotted yet but they look close to starting it so it was a no brainer to replace the tires. I’m cheap but not that cheap.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on the tires and environment, but 5-7 years. Check the dot date code, sometimes tires sit around for a while before you buy them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My camper tires are 22 years old. Yeah I’m probably gonna replace them this year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This is of interest for me as I have a 7 year old truck with just over 23k on the clock. I figure I will have to replace tires that still have a lot of tread. Figured that will be when I start to see dry cracking on the sidewalls. Has not happened yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#17]
6 or 7 years max for 4 wheel vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
2019 only 5 years old, put a reminder in your phone for next year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LexConcord] [#19]
I WISH I could replace my wife’s tires due to age, and not wear.  Her C43  went through tires 4:1 compared to brakes . Thankfully, we just traded that in on an SUV.

Mine just get torn up on jobsites.  

Think I can plug it?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at the date code on the side of your tire, if it's more than 5 years old replace the tires. Some will say 6 or 7 years, but that is assuming perfect conditions, gentle driving etc. If you wife is anything like most females, no way I'd go over 5 years. Women will find every pothole and curb on the road, and hit them all. Climate makes a difference too. The hotter the average temp, the less time you have. More tire material comes of the tires on hot days.

I worked as a tire dealer for four years, also ASE certified mechanic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine went 9 years, still only had about 20K on them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have used trials tires that were 40 years old without issue. HOWEVER, they were stored indoors their entire life.

I have also had tires dry rot in 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Where there are cracks or dry rot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
Look at the date code on the side of your tire, if it's more than 5 years old replace the tires. Some will say 6 or 7 years, but that is assuming perfect conditions, gentle driving etc. If you wife is anything like most females, no way I'd go over 5 years. Women will find every pothole and curb on the road, and hit them all. Climate makes a difference too. The hotter the average temp, the less time you have. More tire material comes of the tires on hot days.

I worked as a tire dealer for four years, also ASE certified mechanic.
View Quote

Thanks. I’d rather be safe than sorry. That’s why I posted. Depth has maybe another year left. I mean they’re OEM with 35k and 5 years on them.

And I sure do love a new set of shoes. Like a brand new car.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#25]
In 2013 I bought a Tundra.

As a retiree I mostly use it for going to the range and the occasional trip to Lowes or the dump.  After 11 years I just now have 30K miles on it.

I replaced the tires in 2021.  They had plenty of tread left but I was concerned with dry rot.  Especially seeing the truck sits in a hot Florida garage most of the year.  Sometimes I will go more than two weeks without driving it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#26]
When there are cracks or dry rot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I always marvel at the power of public relations companies. There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years. Tips used to be 10% until the national restaurant association starting spreading news stories that tips at restaurants should be 20%. Guess what they are now?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BoomBoom:
Where there are cracks or dry rot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#29]
8 years and 40k miles on my truck before I replaced them due to cracking and not tread depth.

Always outside, no garage.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dale007:
I always marvel at the power of public relations companies. There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years. Tips used to be 10% until the national restaurant association starting spreading news stories that tips at restaurants should be 20%. Guess what they are now?
View Quote

Well all I know is the inside sidewall was peeling away, dry rotted, separating on my car. It was only because I visually inspect my tires   Every month or two. Otherwise I would have never seen nor felt the time bomb I was driving on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

It used to be 10 years.  Now it’s recommended they be replaced at 6.  12 year old tires installed as new on a Toyota was the root cause of my accident (tire shed it’s tread, driver lost control, SUV flipped, rolled, and hit me).  The tire company paid out a big chunk of cash.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Really depends on the tire.  Down here in the heat I wouldn't go more than 8yrs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I always marvel at the power of public relations companies. There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years.
View Quote

I mean, I could tell the difference in the traction of the new vs. old, but I guess if you're buying hard hard as iron 70k mile rated ties then sure?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Six years for car tires. They'll go 10 years on limited use trailer tires. Week and year of manufacture should be on sidewall after DOT marking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:46:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TarzanT] [#36]
There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years.
View Quote

You are incorrect.

This was a recently installed 12 year old tire… notice the carcass is still holding air while the entire tread has left the tire.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Just bought back the car I sold to my father in law 25 years ago. Still had two of the gator backs that were on it when I sold it to him. Yes, I've replaced them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#38]
7-10 years is my limit, but if there is any question there is no question. Replace them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I will be replacing my mud tires on my truck due to age some lucky poor is going to bet 75% rollers for a 100 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember the rule being 8 years from the date marked on the tires.

Also, my experiences is that Michelins age worse, not better based on time. Michelin Defenders are still my go-to for trucks and SUVs that I'll drive 15k+ miles a year, but for spare vehicles and low mileage applications, I look elsewhere. It used to be Firestone, but it's been a while since I've gone down that road.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#41]
The simple answer is 6 years. I replace mine when I see (ozone) cracking in the sipe area of the tread or when worn to the wear bars. I rode a set of Michelin XH for over 100k miles and 12 years, they still had about 6/32 tread depth but one day I noticed a chuck of rubber was missing on the inner sidewall from dry rot. As rubber ages it also gets hard and brittle, less traction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

You are incorrect.

This was a recently installed 12 year old tire… notice the carcass is still holding air while the entire tread has left the tire.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335094/IMG_0519_jpeg-3204835.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years.

You are incorrect.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335094/IMG_0519_jpeg-3204835.JPG

It's almost as if 12 years is within the 10-15 years he said
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PoppinFresh] [#43]
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1911, Standard for the Inspection, Maintenance, Testing, and Retirement of In-Service Emergency Vehicles states the following: 8.3.6 Tires shall be replaced at least every seven years or more frequently when the tread wear exceeds the state or federal standards as determined by measuring with a tire depth gauge.
View Quote

NFPA 1911 dictates that we replace tires on Fire Department apparatus at 7 years.

I also don't drive a whole lot of distance and my tires "age out" before they wear out... I use the above reference for my POVs. The cost seems negligible versus the risk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Nearly lost my life due to tires at 16… if you think they should be replaced wait for a sale at discount and buy new tires.  Tires are cheap compared to hospital bill, deductibles, or out of pocket anything.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Funny timing on this thread.  

I was looking at my boat (saltwater) trailer this week after a trip and despite the tires being in visually good shape, I noticed they were 2014 manufacture date... older than the boat.  I ordered a new pair and put them on tonight.

Coincidentally, our travel trailer is a 2019 and was dropped off at the dealer today for annual service for a "lifetime" warranty.  I asked about the tires and the service guy said they recommend 3 years on heavy use and 6 years on moderate use unless there is obvious damage or wear.  Most common issue resulting in failure within those guidelines is under inflation.  That's what I was told at least.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#46]

It used to be 10 years.  Now it’s recommended they be replaced at 6.  12 year old tires installed as new on a Toyota was the root cause of my accident (tire shed it’s tread, driver lost control, SUV flipped, rolled, and hit me).  The tire company paid out a big chunk of cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Performance tires wear out by age and or heat cycles. You can only get them up to high temps so many times before they get hard.

Ask Paul Walker if he wished that Porsche had new tires. The tires had plenty of tread but were old and hard.

My autocross race tires have gone through too many heat cycles and gotten hard. They have plenty of tread but don't get sticky any more when heated up. So even though they are wider than my street tires, they offer less traction and I can't push the car as hard because I know the car can break traction and slide easier.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Keep and eye on them for dry rot. If none drive until they wear out.

That's been my methodology for the last 35 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rgaper:
Funny timing on this thread.  

I was looking at my boat (saltwater) trailer this week after a trip and despite the tires being in visually good shape, I noticed they were 2014 manufacture date... older than the boat.  I ordered a new pair and put them on tonight.

Coincidentally, our travel trailer is a 2019 and was dropped off at the dealer today for annual service for a "lifetime" warranty.  I asked about the tires and the service guy said they recommend 3 years on heavy use and 6 years on moderate use unless there is obvious damage or wear.  Most common issue resulting in failure within those guidelines is under inflation.  That's what I was told at least.
View Quote

IMHO you just saved yourself a bad trailer accident.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#50]
Trailer tires on the boat start blowing around 7 years, so it isn’t bullshit.  As in 3 or 4 blew in short order…quite the season for tire changes.    

I replace studded snow tires due to age instead of wear usually.  Others typically wear enough to replace for that.  

I can handle a blowout pretty well- had it happen many times.  Not so certain about how the wife and kids would handle it, so I try to make sure it doesn’t happen…. Plenty of bad crashes start with a blowout, so if you can mostly eliminate that happening you are lowering the chance of a crash.  Worth the cost for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top