Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 11:14:41 AM EDT
I'll be passing through the State from NM to WY (not staying in CO).  Is it legal to bring mags that hold over 15 rounds?  I saw this in the law, but I'm not sure what it means?

The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:
V. An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine; or

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Consider me an out of state transferee.

Basically no one (for now) cares about magazine capacity except Denver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be fine. Don't sweat it, don't stop in Boulder or Denver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
I'll be passing through the State from NM to WY (not staying in CO).  Is it legal to bring mags that hold over 15 rounds?  I saw this in the law, but I'm not sure what it means?

The offense described in subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to:
V. An out-of-state transferee who may legally possess a large-capacity magazine; or

Thanks.
View Quote

The law was written so that people like you would be able to transit the state without a problem.  The reality is it has never been tested in a case like yours as nobody (outside of Denver/Boulder) enforces the law, and almost no one (possibly no one) has ever been charged.

Technically denver did/does have a preexisting awb that I think coverd mag capacity, but no idea on details.

If you are just passing thru just carry gun stuff out of direct line of sight, you would have to be the worlds least lucky person to run into any troube.

A bigger risk is driving thru denver county, traffic on 25 sucks especially during rush hours. And if on 470 most people speed, but the cops hide on merge ramps to screw with people flying in. Easier mark than dealing with the crooks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  I'll be packing a Glock 19 for this multi-State trip and have plenty of 15 rounders I could bring.  But I usually carry a 19 rounder on me as a reload, and 24 rounders in the laptop backpack.

I plan on just driving thru, but you never know what can happen.  Pro-terrorist protesters have been shutting down highways across the Nation (and the world), and the 25 through Denver could be one of their targets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, don't even worry about it.  Our mag law is one of the most ignored gun laws I've ever seen.  Shops here openly sell you 30 round pmags all day long.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:
Consider me an out of state transferee.

Basically no one (for now) cares about magazine capacity except Denver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't  speed and you'll be fine. In reality if you get pulled over you'll be fine too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Decided just to bring 15 rounders.  I got through the State without issue.  Although the speed limit sure does change a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top