BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SWIRE] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

So it appears to me that that spot is holding the water that comes off of your roof, and that's a pretty big roof area. Lots of angles (best I can see).  So the big slope is carrying the water down to that more gently-sloped area, and it's holding there.  ETA:  Reading again, you're also getting some from the neighbor's property, it sounds like.

It seems to me that there are two things going on.   A drainage slow down AND your soil cold use some help.  

Do you think some drain tiles might be of help to you--taken to daylight on down the slope toward the creek?  Maybe with some surface drains added in the lowest spots.

THEN in addition to that, working in compost and trying to gently raise the grade through there a little over time, to get more dirt on top of the hardpan/rocks at the 3' depth.

Just thinking out loud.  

Surface work just doesn't do a lot to actually drain a spot like this.   It can help the soil, but what really needs to happen is that water needs to move out of there more quickly so it doesn't pool on the flattest spot you've got.

I can't really see or understand where the stone wall is exactly but I'm going to assume it is not acting like a wall to hold the water or slow down its movement?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

This is a picture of my property that I created for a security camera thread.  It works here as there are measurements to show dimensions.  The grassy patch in the middle is what I'm concerned with at the moment.  Some of it is shaded by trees, there is gardens in part of it, brush/shrubs in part of it, the solar panels...etc.  But the general dimensions would be 200 ft wide by 200-225 ft long.  From the house to the creek bottom is about a 50 foot drop in elevation.  About 8 feet of that drop happens in the first 35 ft behind the house.  You can see part of the retaining wall I put in and I'm grading the rest of the dirt to make more of a gentle slope into the yard.

Following the center line behind the house where the number 310' is approximately where the stone wall is constructed.  That remaining drop in the yard to the top of the stone wall is about 5 feet over the course of 175ft.  The last 50 feet is almost flat so a 4% slope on the hill in the yard to the gardens.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/property_dimensions-3095572.jpg

The red in this picture is grassy areas but it includes things like driveways and parking areas.  The yellow outline is the main area I'm concerned with.  It includes the gardens but whatever I use on the lawn I will probably use on the garden since I have so many problems with it.  The blue is the slope of the hill.  It is generally high on the east side and drops to the creek on the west side but there is a slight elevation on the north side that drops heading to the south side, maybe a foot drop from north to south.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/680/lawn_area2-3214723.jpg

I do have my tractor.  I've been trying to determine if my 3-point hitch works.  So far it is a no go but they have added so many hydraulic lines and connectors on it for the bucket and backhoe that I may not have something configure correctly.  

I've see a 3 point hitch core aerator with curved blades that also swivel.  It can go deeper than my little pull behind model.  I can also get good compost for around $20 a cubic yard, a triaxle truck will hold about 20 yards and the delivery fee is $200.  But without a top dressing machine I will have to dump it over the yard and try to level it with the bucket.  I did a little bit of that with some good top soil this year and it worked ok.  That was with 6 yards of top soil and it did not go very far.   I can also get a 50/50 blend of topsoil and compost but that runs $55 a yard.  

The new grass is coming in well.  Once the weather clears I'll get pictures of it.

So it appears to me that that spot is holding the water that comes off of your roof, and that's a pretty big roof area. Lots of angles (best I can see).  So the big slope is carrying the water down to that more gently-sloped area, and it's holding there.  ETA:  Reading again, you're also getting some from the neighbor's property, it sounds like.

It seems to me that there are two things going on.   A drainage slow down AND your soil cold use some help.  

Do you think some drain tiles might be of help to you--taken to daylight on down the slope toward the creek?  Maybe with some surface drains added in the lowest spots.

THEN in addition to that, working in compost and trying to gently raise the grade through there a little over time, to get more dirt on top of the hardpan/rocks at the 3' depth.

Just thinking out loud.  

Surface work just doesn't do a lot to actually drain a spot like this.   It can help the soil, but what really needs to happen is that water needs to move out of there more quickly so it doesn't pool on the flattest spot you've got.

I can't really see or understand where the stone wall is exactly but I'm going to assume it is not acting like a wall to hold the water or slow down its movement?

The wall is the old fashion limestone rock wall.  It isn't holding anything back.  Any water from the neighbors to the north would run down a driveway on my north side and not make it into the main yard.  The northern edge of my property is peak of hill in all directions.

I'm trying to follow your line of thought.  It is possible the water moving down the slope pulled away organic matter and nutrients from the surface so that what is left is nutrient poor clay? Little/no organic matter and very shallow roots would result in a compacted surface that won't absorb water.  That would make sense to me.  If that is the situation is the only remedy a combo of mechanical aeration and adding a lot of organic matter to the surface?  Or are you thinking that problem will come back over time and I really need to get drain tiles in it?

Most of the water from roof shouldn't be flowing into the yard, seems to soak in there.  All the water from the top of the yard down to the bottom would make sense.  Then getting rid of the pooling water isn't the concern as much as why isn't the ground absorbing it before it got to that point.  

This is what my lawn looked like this spring after I had run my core aerator over it.  You can see a lot of dirt and how easily the grass tore up in sections due to it having shallow roots.  The picture was taking from the south east side of my property looking down the slope to the creek.   You can reference the solar array as a landmark in the satellite photos and my other photos.  Also look at the legs under the solar array, the difference in length is the difference in the slope over a 10 ft distance.  

ETA: current pic.  Still not great but the new grass is coming in.  

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top