BCM
User Panel

Page / 3112
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WIC:

box looks like too much work for each knife

is there something to be said for sewing little leather slips to hold the knife if you want to send it in something? just one more or less universal size? DFARM's kids could help.

great knife
View Quote

I do want to set up a process to make slips for them. It'd be pretty straight forward to have as an add-on. Maybe emboss or brand a logo on them. Some nice leather and contrasting stitching would look great.

The boxes are pretty simple for the knives I've designed in CAD. The outline is readily available from the CAD model so I just send that to the laser cutter to cut out a few box inserts. It also engraves the text on the top insert at the same time. The boxes are $2 jewelry boxes from Amazon and the lid is stamped with a rubber stamp logo.

I agree, a box insert would be too much effort for one-off knives that would require a profile developed each time. That would be a perfect use for a leather slip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Reubjames:

Thanks!

@MaxxII
I do have a few more renderings. I haven't cut any actual parts yet but will likely cut a set out this weekend.
I'll do prototypes in aluminum since it's easy and inexpensive to work with while dialing things in but really pretty much any material could be used to make these. G-10, titanium, aluminum, micarta are all possibilities. We're planning on some patterns and textures on the scales as well but haven't designed those yet. Need to get the geometry of everything dialed in and then can work on the cosmetic details.

These will change the Tuff-lite to a tip up carry, that was one of the driving features we wanted. It will also have clip mounting locations on both sides for left or right handed users (clip shown in photos is for left pocket carry). We're adding bronze washers to the pivot. Currently the Tuff-lites only have a single teflon washer on one side of the pivot. Most of the original hardware is retained with this design but the two rear screws are replaced with larger screws and threaded standoffs. Render shows hex drive screws but the screws we sourced all use the same torx driver as the original pivot screw. The backspacer could be a different material than the handles as an accent. Completely reversible, bolt-on upgrade.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

How much more work would it be to make the rest of the knife?

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a whole lot. The blade and lock bar would take few more hours of programming the CAD and CAM, a few hours dialing in the machining process, grinding, and heat treat. I'd probably want to put that effort into a unique design of my own at that point though.

What I need to do is teach this friend some CAD so he can run with his designs and then I just help him get them machined. Right now I'm doing the whole process which takes time away from me making my own knives.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks!

@MaxxII
I do have a few more renderings. I haven't cut any actual parts yet but will likely cut a set out this weekend.
I'll do prototypes in aluminum since it's easy and inexpensive to work with while dialing things in but really pretty much any material could be used to make these. G-10, titanium, aluminum, micarta are all possibilities. We're planning on some patterns and textures on the scales as well but haven't designed those yet. Need to get the geometry of everything dialed in and then can work on the cosmetic details.

These will change the Tuff-lite to a tip up carry, that was one of the driving features we wanted. It will also have clip mounting locations on both sides for left or right handed users (clip shown in photos is for left pocket carry). We're adding bronze washers to the pivot. Currently the Tuff-lites only have a single teflon washer on one side of the pivot. Most of the original hardware is retained with this design but the two rear screws are replaced with larger screws and threaded standoffs. Render shows hex drive screws but the screws we sourced all use the same torx driver as the original pivot screw. The backspacer could be a different material than the handles as an accent. Completely reversible, bolt-on upgrade.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Where do we sign up!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

Where do we sign up!
View Quote

I'll keep you posted. I hope the prototypes are finished this weekend or at least close and I can post a few photos. I have everything on hand to complete them, just need to find the time to do it all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks!

@MaxxII

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
The boxes do look great, I agree with rbb2.

Thanks!

I am curious about your new scales for Cold Steel knives - the biggest complaint I have about the Tuff-Lite is the tip down carry with no means of changing it up.
Your new scales fix that problem nicely.
Do you have more pictures?
What materials are you planning on using?

@MaxxII

Click To View Spoiler

I like it!
Let me know when you get it finished.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]

there are limits, you crossed many in one pic.

https://i.imgur.com/NocJW88.jpg
View Quote

Kinda matches.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#8]

endcut micarta ∞ > cf
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#9]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Thanks,

CF isnt something Im necessarily drawn to, but like I said, it has my birthday, so I got it. No other reason
View Quote

That's pretty neat.

When I bought my kid's Sebenza a long time ago I looked for his Bday but that turned into work and just grabbed a good price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
F3 Friday

Plus a stack of some of my favorite foods.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: williedikker72] [#11]
So ready for a nice, although soon to be rainy, weekend. Found the Monkey's lighter too. Just heard from the vet I still am a dog owner. He was in the hospital 3 days this week and responded pretty well to antibiotics and steroids with his eye issue. Below is what he looked like Monday. They ended up taking an eye today and I had signed the paper to not wake him if he had a tumor or something in his head. They thought for sure he did. We had him at the house Wed night till this morning and, while still in pain, was able to get around pretty good being mostly blind. Started acting like himself again. He was on 4 meds. Anyway, took the eye, didn't see any abscess or tumor. Just inflammation.  Going to biopsy the eye. No real answers what happened. Vet can't explain why it affected both eyes. Anyway...
Attachment Attached File

Monday...
Attachment Attached File

This morning...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
@DFARM

I saw your IG reel the other day on the new project you're working on

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I did not?
Forward it to me?
Just searched & can’t find it in my email.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By williedikker72:
So ready for a nice, although soon to be rainy, weekend. Found the Monkey's lighter too. Just heard from the vet I still am a dog owner. He was in the hospital 3 days this week and responded pretty well to antibiotics and steroids with his eye issue. Below is what he looked like Monday. They ended up taking an eye today and I had signed the paper to not wake him if he had a tumor or something in his head. They thought for sure he did. We had him at the house Wed night till this morning and, while still in pain, was able to get around pretty good being mostly blind. Started acting like himself again. He was on 4 meds. Anyway, took the eye, didn't see any abscess or tumor. Just inflammation.  Going to biopsy the eye. No real answers what happened. Vet can't explain why it affected both eyes. Anyway...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20240503_150343_jpg-3204569.JPG
Monday...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20240429_114136_jpg-3204570.JPG
This morning...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/IMG_6252_jpg-3204571.JPG
View Quote

damn, poor guy
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
F3 Friday

https://i.imgur.com/DihyHEj.jpeg

Plus a stack of some of my favorite foods.
View Quote

Awesome shot!

Feel bad for the doggy!

Want a chance at that knife when there done!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Monday...
This morning...
View Quote

Glad he's still with you! I rode a horse with one eye once, she seemed to get around just fine. Here's hoping the other eye gets better and he can keep on being your buddy for a lot longer!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Monday...
This morning...
View Quote

Our oldest dog has developed some eye issues over the past couple of years. Vet has checked him when he goes in for his annual check up and she's not concerned with it, just give him some eye drops regularly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a whole lot. The blade and lock bar would take few more hours of programming the CAD and CAM, a few hours dialing in the machining process, grinding, and heat treat. I'd probably want to put that effort into a unique design of my own at that point though.

What I need to do is teach this friend some CAD so he can run with his designs and then I just help him get them machined. Right now I'm doing the whole process which takes time away from me making my own knives.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that it's a lot of work to "polish a turd" (not that the knife is terrible but I don't think I'd spend $100 modding one) Then I remembered that once all this work is done, it's not that much effort to feed the machine and materials aren't really that expensive.

One-off vs production mindset.
@DFARM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/AobQDNI4K7a4U/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952sn5falwzqhwunxa8p7fmizdqi3wkfxq3zdmzencl&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
View Quote

I'm still trying to figure out how to clamp it all together while the epoxy cures. I think I'm going to need some different style clamps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Where do we sign up!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

@MaxxII

Click To View Spoiler

Where do we sign up!

Next in line please.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
@DFARM

https://media4.giphy.com/media/AobQDNI4K7a4U/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952sn5falwzqhwunxa8p7fmizdqi3wkfxq3zdmzencl&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g
View Quote

Link...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this shit poison ivy?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20240428_144234_jpg-3200473.JPG
View Quote

@williedikker72
Catnip???
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mygreenkaw:

Link...
View All Quotes
@DFARM

Link...

It was one of the reel/story things that pop up on top. It doesnt appear to be there now
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]
@DFARM

Post up some pictures here????
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
Nothing wrong with carbon fiber if you buy the right knife! Puppies be damned!
Carrying the 111 today.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/morefiber_JPG-3204257.JPG

Grapel  as in color purple of a grape. Guess it was to early in the morning to make up words.
View Quote

Haha. I get it now.

Brain was tired.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MrSig239:
A little bit of discomfort swallowing this morning after yesterday's endoscopy.
Preliminary results were good. Testing is now pushed off to a three year cycle barring any bad results from biopsies testing.
Need to stay on my diet and keep going on the meds. Good news for sure!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56211/IMG_8192_jpg-3204275.JPG
View Quote

Progress is good as is reduced testing.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#26]

I do want to set up a process to make slips for them. It'd be pretty straight forward to have as an add-on. Maybe emboss or brand a logo on them. Some nice leather and contrasting stitching would look great.

The boxes are pretty simple for the knives I've designed in CAD. The outline is readily available from the CAD model so I just send that to the laser cutter to cut out a few box inserts. It also engraves the text on the top insert at the same time. The boxes are $2 jewelry boxes from Amazon and the lid is stamped with a rubber stamp logo.

I agree, a box insert would be too much effort for one-off knives that would require a profile developed each time. That would be a perfect use for a leather slip.
View Quote

Actually I hadn't thought of a bunch of that. Cool insight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Monday...
This morning...
View Quote

Do they make bad ass eye patches for dogs?

I feel like said pup needs one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]

@williedikker72
Catnip???
View All Quotes
Is this shit poison ivy?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20240428_144234_jpg-3200473.JPG

@williedikker72
Catnip???

Sy verified strawberry. Thanks for all the well wishes. He's a tough bird. Really hurt to see him like that. My best buddy. Hoping for a many more trouble free years. Wish we could keep them forever. Last one died about the same age and went blind right before. Put him in our bed and tucked him in like I always do. He was really feeling bad. Held him and he passed in my arms. I was having flashbacks. Part of being a dog owner, but damn that kind of shit is hard. I'll post pics of the one eyed bandit when I get him next week. Thanks again for all the kind words.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Monday...
This morning...

They do. If I do one with a BFL on it will I get banned or sued? Lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#30]
Monday...
This morning...
View Quote
Tough lil' feller.

A customer hooked me up with one of these yesterday, and I'm sold.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Monday...
This morning...
View Quote

Glad the doggo is healing, sorry he lost the eye.
On the bright side, you now have a Pirate dog.

Digging the lighter…that cinches it, I’m gonna take up smoking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
I did not?
Forward it to me?
Just searched & can’t find it in my email.

Dammit….
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Monday...
This morning...

Only if you sell them for profit.
One off should be fine.

Full disclosure, I am only a business law student and we have not gotten to the IP infringement chapter in the book yet.

Your mileage may vary, and the above statement does not constitute legal advice.
Seek an attorney if you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours.
Common side effects may include euphoria, increased happiness, elevated moods, insomnia and death.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Tough lil' feller.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53695999867_3782674a3a_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53697117773_79af4fdecd_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Monday...
This morning...
Tough lil' feller.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53695999867_3782674a3a_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53697117773_79af4fdecd_o.jpg

The O’Fallon Brewery is here, just outside of StL in St Charles.

If you cannot find it locally, let me know. I probably know someone who can get it to you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#35]

The O'Fallon Brewery is here, just outside of StL in St Charles.

If you cannot find it locally, let me know. I probably know someone who can get it to you.
View Quote
That would be most appreciated.

He was one of the nicest guys I believe I've ever come across. Offered to bring some back next time he went that way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Glad the doggo is healing, sorry he lost the eye.
On the bright side, you now have a Pirate dog.

Digging the lighter…that cinches it, I’m gonna take up smoking.
View Quote

I could just send you one of those lighters…
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Dammit….
View Quote

It will come around again. Eventually.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#39]
No pizza this week. Nothin' healthy either.

The cheddar biscuits were missing something, but the fish was on point.

Made tartar sauce without the capers and almost burned the hush puppies, but I was just drunk enough to enjoy all of it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#40]
@DFARM

Post up some pictures here????
View Quote

I'm trying to get fancy on some handles.
Attachment Attached File

https://i.imgur.com/8t7pN82.jpeg
View Quote

I still like the bottom one. Did he forget about us?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#41]
No, he has issues with management.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#42]
No pizza this week. Nothin' healthy either.

The cheddar biscuits were missing something, but the fish was in point.

Made tartar sauce without the capers and almost burned the hush puppies, but I was just drunk enough to enjoy all of it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53697098353_3b2050c126_o.jpg

View Quote

good looking knife
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I'm trying to get fancy on some handles.
Attachment Attached File

I still like the bottom one. Did he forget about us?
View Quote

Sweet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]

good looking knife
View Quote
It's been getting quite a bit of pocket time lately.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#45]
First batch of fresh asparagus from the garden

Lady slipper orchid is jamming this year

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Asparagus for breakfast? Interesting choice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Asparagus for breakfast? Interesting choice.
View Quote

Gotta get that pee smelling right all day
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:27:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#48]
Not sure what rock you've both been living under, but asparagus is  one of the most common breakfast vegetables; plus, it was brunch at 11AM. It goes exceptionally well with runny yoke & bacon (hollandaise would of course be even better).
Just ask Julia Child...

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Never once have I heard of or seen anyone eat asparagus for breakfast. I don't care what she says, it's still weird.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
First batch of fresh asparagus from the garden
https://i.imgur.com/ecZ9HfG.jpg

Lady slipper orchid is jamming this year
https://i.imgur.com/m5sWEIh.jpg

View Quote

how is the sauce?
Page / 3112
Top Top