[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

Yes. A Sig550.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For collection? Either something Russian or Chinese, or one of the old kit builds from whatever country tickles your fancy. Otherwise, if I wanted a shooter now, I'd just buy a PSA and run it until it breaks. It's really not worth overpaying for a generic shooter AK unless you're an autistic slavaboo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm LOL'ing at the folks saying underfolder. Underfolders SUCK. They look cool though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
If you could only own one, it would be an original Robarms VEPR K, which I already have

Amazing quality for an AK.  Keep an eye out, they can still be found.

https://i.imgur.com/DkbBEzp.jpg
View Quote

This guy knows!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Polish UF~

https://i.imgur.com/WB0U4pT.jpg

View Quote

I agree. I have several and this is my preferred AK.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BB:
I'm LOL'ing at the folks saying underfolder. Underfolders SUCK. They look cool though.
View Quote
I think I offended somebody on here once for saying the AMD-65 was junk. They were smart enough to make it a side folder, but still made it the most bullshit AK stock they possibly could. I was offered one for $500 back in the day, and turned it down in favor of a $799 Russian gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
These days I'm down to one, an Arsenal SGL-21 that I bought in 2012

She runs like a raped ape

The AK-103 clones I maintain are the best 7.62 AKs
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Valmet M-76. Incredibly well built. Galils suck, carrying one is like towing an anchor
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
For me, it's the Izhmash or Tula AKM with classic laminate furniture, and a bakelite mag.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a WASR that has been 100% reliable, it's machined well and fit and finish is top notch.

Seems to be not the norm for these but I will never get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote
I had a Chinese one for years, didn't seem any different than a regular stock one to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I have a WASR that has been 100% reliable, it's machined well and fit and finish is top notch.

View Quote

I had a WASR underfolder, it shot as good as any AK I've owned.

I did have to go to multi gun shops to find one with straight sights, and a tight magwell. I'd never buy one sight unseen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Beryl. Everything else is either garbage or 10x the price it should be because of import bans. But it begs the question, why an AK in 2024?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanted an AK12
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
For collection? Either something Russian or Chinese, or one of the old kit builds from whatever country tickles your fancy. Otherwise, if I wanted a shooter now, I'd just buy a PSA and run it until it breaks. It's really not worth overpaying for a generic shooter AK unless you're an autistic slavaboo.
View Quote

What he said. I've avoided AK's for decades but bought a PSA GF3 Blem last year on sale and so far I like it.

I like it, and have been tempted to get a GF4 or GF5 if they have a blem sale on those.

PSA also has them on sale again

PSA AK Blem Sale

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#16]
My 1986 Tula Krinkov is about the most expensive gun I own and probably the coolest. If I were buying only one, it would be chambered in a caliber I could find some fucking ammo for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

This. I have this one and their underfolder. Great guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
Originally Posted By Duke117:
If you’re only buying one, this and done.
I bought 2 just in case and they have been flawless..
I got a thing for milled AK’s and the quality is comparable to some of my other, earlier production rifles

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/firearms/rifles/sam7-series/sam7sf-84epm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1187_png-3205346.JPG

This. I have this one and their underfolder. Great guns.

They are solid rifles.
These 3 are from the milled Sam 7 series over time.

SLR101S
SAM7R
SAM7SF

Buy a good mount,( I use RS Regulate.)
T2’s are optional, I went with them cause that’s what I like and are common with other rifles I have.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
Beryl. Everything else is either garbage or 10x the price it should be because of import bans. But it begs the question, why an AK in 2024?
View Quote

Just because I have always wanted one but prioritized other guns. I have other accurate reliable rifles so this would be for fun / collection. That being said I like quality guns. It doesnt have to be tier 1 but I dont want trash.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]
...it would be an AR15.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HD2006] [#20]
For me it would be my Zastava ZPAP M92.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
For me it would me my Zastava ZPAP M92.  

https://i.imgur.com/04YB6Fv.jpeg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
PTR32

View Quote

I have the 16" and it is a smoooooooth shooter. Supposed to be very accurate too, but I was just blasting to check reliability. Passed with zero malfunctions. Now I need to scope it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

View Quote

I have a 10/63 one from like 2009. Been a tank.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raygixxer89] [#24]

They are solid rifles.
These 3 are from the milled Sam 7 series over time.

SLR101S
SAM7R
SAM7SF

Buy a good mount,( I use RS Regulate.)
T2’s are optional, I went with them cause that’s what I like and are common with other rifles I have.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1189_jpeg-3205572.JPG

View Quote

I remember trying to source an RS Regulate for the SF and my Zastava M70. Couldn't find one anywhere lol.
I need the SAMR to complete my collection.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Arsenal. Some other solid AK's are WASR10 if you don't mind fit and finish issues but solid shooters.  I have a M70 and it is a solid rifle but heavy.  Polish underfolders are nice too. Most chicom offerings won't disappoint.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#26]
These questions are always kind of silly, because it seems that the original poster, whoever that might be in any given thread, never says why they want to own an AK. If you want it as a serious fighting rifle, you should be looking at different options than if you want it as, a collectible rifle or to represent some Historic use of the rifle, such as an unfolding Chinese spiker because of its association with the Vietnam war, or a laminated Soviet style AK because it is the quintessential cold war commie rifle.

Since the OP mentioned, he has many guns in his collection, I’m going to assume he wants this as a collector piece to represent the AK family. In that case, a laminated Polish rifle will give you that red Dawn look that to me at least, is the signature AK configuration.

Someone who wants a modernized or westernized AK with rails and optics should just buy a PSA.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
If you’re only buying one, this and done.
I bought 2 just in case and they have been flawless..
I got a thing for milled AK’s and the quality is comparable to some of my other, earlier production rifles

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/firearms/rifles/sam7-series/sam7sf-84epm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1187_png-3205346.JPG
View Quote

Did I read that right?   2 grand for an AK?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#28]
My milled Bulgarian has been great...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll stick with my AK-S Poly spiker I bought in 88 for my 18th birthday for 299. It came with three 30rd mags and a drum. It runs like a top.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Came in to say if I could only own 1AK it would be a VZ58.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I gave 250 bucks for a underfolder WASR, I foolishly traded away a Polytech, but the WASR just works and I have get to find a magazine that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a fool for the "Kyber Pass" lookin' AKM.

I really like my Riley Defense RAK-P-47, with the side folding triangle stock and wood fore end. It is all factory and everything is squared up, no canting on anything. I have it zeroed nicely and best of all: I trust it.

I've fired 800-ish rounds down range thus far and not a hiccup with carious mags or ammo. I'm ready for the impending sky is falling/civil war that some of whimpering about.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Do I have to?...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By straatconst:
East German milled.

View Quote

This, but that's like finding a Unicorn. When you do find it, plan on financing it.

Polish and Bulgarian kits built on NoDak receivers are fantastic. Not sure what's out there as I've been out of the AK game for many years. YMMV

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
SGL31 with a mountain of 2000s priced 5.45.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#37]
A classic AKM, or type 3 milled AK47, maybe a Yugo/Zastava. Fixed stock, but can go underfolder if you prefer the latter for personal reasons. These are most iconic of the Kalashnikov pattern rifle and realistically what’s most affordable compared to a unicorn like a Type 1/2 or a preban Maadi or Valmet.

Depending on your budget you could either start with a WASR or ZPAP, find a postban import and get it debanned, or get a parts kit built by a professional.

All options have their pros and cons, but one consensus in the collector community is that 100% US made AKs are not ready for primetime and QC is spotty. But if you get one that works, then all is peachy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Bulgarian 74.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#39]
My dlo Norinco
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Front fell off  Front went to CA!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20220320_111338-2321415.jpg
View Quote

I remember when these were so dirt cheap that guys on AKFiles were buying them and converting them to semi auto. Iirc they went on sale for $150 a few times because hardly anyone was buying.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Polish and Hungarian rifles are solid.

Russian (pricey and hard to find) are top notch.

Chinese just as good as Russian IMHO.

Wasr , ugly , rattles but works.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jwr6:

Did I read that right?   2 grand for an AK?
View Quote
AK prices have been high for a few years now, and they aren't coming back down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Type 3 underfolder

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#44]
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:

My unissued PMKMS build is probably the one gun I regret selling the most. The trunnion date was even the same as my birth year. It was by far the highest quality AK kit I had; on the same level of quality as the Saiga rifles. It was also the most expensive... at $250.
https://i.imgur.com/Vw7HBLs.jpg
View Quote

All Polish jokes aside the Poles make damn nice firearms.

You can have more than one....

Yugo 72's

Vepr 5.56

ACE -

SAM7

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#45]

At today’s prices, this guy is not wrong about Arsenals.
That being said, if you find a good example at a reasonable price, it’s a great out of the box rifle that doesn’t require much tinkering.

I have earlier examples of milled rifles that a I probably prefer, but the values have gone up so much that I wouldn’t consider buying them again.

Ammo is another consideration.
$180 cases of Golden Tiger are a thing of the past so the appeal of cheap blasting is not there anymore.

If I didn’t have a lifetime supply of 7.62x39, purchased at bargain basement prices, I’m not sure I would start in deep anymore.

View Quote

I bought Golden Tiger CHEAP and stacked it DEEP
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Galil
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bw77] [#49]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
These questions are always kind of silly, because it seems that the original poster, whoever that might be in any given thread, never says why they want to own an AK. If you want it as a serious fighting rifle, you should be looking at different options than if you want it as, a collectible rifle or to represent some Historic use of the rifle, such as an unfolding Chinese spiker because of its association with the Vietnam war, or a laminated Soviet style AK because it is the quintessential cold war commie rifle.

Since the OP mentioned, he has many guns in his collection, I’m going to assume he wants this as a collector piece to represent the AK family. In that case, a laminated Polish rifle will give you that red Dawn look that to me at least, is the signature AK configuration.

Someone who wants a modernized or westernized AK with rails and optics should just buy a PSA.
View Quote

Not a serious “fighting rifle”. Just want an AK cause I havent owned one and I want one for my collection. I dont buy junk and I want an “authentic” like non US made copy. Im sure PSA AK s are good shooters, but im not looking for just a range gun.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I would only own an AK if you gave me 10,000 rounds of ammo. Otherwise I couldn't afford an AK.
Page / 5
Top Top