https://i.postimg.cc/jdB4tGjb/Valmet-M62-Tube-stock-grip.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grumple:
My Mak90
View Quote

I had one of those. It was built canted and was significantly over gassed—even for an AK. That said, it had a very nice finish on metal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AmateurLuthier:
Build your own.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmeiH1aQj
View Quote

Looks like a parade rifle
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
1973 (11)  Polish side folder kit built on a Nodak-Spud receiver I got from Atlantic. When it arrived at the FFL the crew working were in awe of its beauty. I added a different muzzle brake and Russian sling/mag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My first and only was a red Polytech paratrooper side-folder.  I loved it.  The stock was easy to deploy and rock solid for a good cheek weld.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Arsenal Sam 7sf.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#7]
1972 Tula rebuilt by PSA.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Duke117:
If you’re only buying one, this and done.
I bought 2 just in case and they have been flawless..
I got a thing for milled AK’s and the quality is comparable to some of my other, earlier production rifles

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/firearms/rifles/sam7-series/sam7sf-84epm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1187_png-3205346.JPG
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
My Grendel VEPR.

Damn nice rifle, even with just using irons. Need to get an optic for it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I bought Golden Tiger CHEAP and stacked it DEEP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Makarov:

At today’s prices, this guy is not wrong about Arsenals.
That being said, if you find a good example at a reasonable price, it’s a great out of the box rifle that doesn’t require much tinkering.

I have earlier examples of milled rifles that a I probably prefer, but the values have gone up so much that I wouldn’t consider buying them again.

Ammo is another consideration.
$180 cases of Golden Tiger are a thing of the past so the appeal of cheap blasting is not there anymore.

If I didn’t have a lifetime supply of 7.62x39, purchased at bargain basement prices, I’m not sure I would start in deep anymore.

I bought Golden Tiger CHEAP and stacked it DEEP

I saw the writing on the wall myself and backed up the pallet jack for Golden Tiger and laquer coated Barnaul.
My only real concern going forward is if the jenga tower I built with the cases ever falls over I'll be crushed like a bug..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#11]

I saw the writing on the wall myself and backed up the pallet jack for Golden Tiger and laquer coated Barnaul.
My only real concern going forward is if the jenga tower I built with the cases ever falls over I'll be crushed like a bug..
View Quote

I didn't see the writing back then but I still have one case of GT.  I did, however, see the writing for other imported surplus and acted accordingly.  
I have a few cases of Yugo brass to go through before I have to shed a tear and break into the GT.  Should I pass it down to my son or shoot it??
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
Chinese Type 56 milled.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/djveim6lwlo61_jpg-3205381.JPG
View Quote

Yep.  Here's mine.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an old wasr 10/63 under folder and a coupe, sar1s.

They’re both ugly but beautiful as only a commie gun could be
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Vepr.

WASR is a good, solid AK but poor QC.

Saiga is nice but Vepr is built better.

My Romy rifles are fine.

I'd do legit ((10)) Bulgarian as a #2 choice. Solid rifles, good fit and finish.

Arsenal is OK. IMHO, over priced.
View Quote
I have one AK and its a molot vepr in 5.45. ( also have a saiga .308 but that doesnt really count )
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M41A:

Yep.  Here's mine.

https://i.imgur.com/lmVNhNa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/X8I9j0P.jpg
View Quote
Best use of an MAK-90 I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
My first and only was a red Polytech paratrooper side-folder.  I loved it.  The stock was easy to deploy and rock solid for a good cheek weld.  
View Quote
They didn't import very many of those.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If I was buying a factory one, it would be a Zastava. But they’re all gonna be pretty similar.

People used to laugh about WASRs, and now they’re fairly well regarded. Arsenals have always had a premium, but it’s an AK, not a McMillan.

Frankly, you’re a good 10 years late. You were supposed to have AKs when they were cheap, and get ARs now that they’re the cheap things.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

I didn't see the writing back then but I still have one case of GT.  I did, however, see the writing for other imported surplus and acted accordingly.  
I have a few cases of Yugo brass to go through before I have to shed a tear and break into the GT.  Should I pass it down to my son or shoot it??
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

Tough call.
I've kind of ordered my stash based on long term storage suitability.

Unlaquered Wolf/Bear gets used first.
Boxed laquer second.
Spam canned laquered last.
A bunch of M67 just sits in storage because it's corrosive and I'm too lazy to clean my rifles after shooting it.

I keep a few thousand non- corrosive brass laying around for some reason.
For a while, a few years back, Norma was putting out brass 7.62x39 for reasonable prices with frequent sales.
Bought a bunch just because, not really sure what to do with it but it's clean and pretty accurate.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]

There can be only one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#21]

Nice. Needs a stamp and a folder.
The bakelite makes it.
I regret not stocking up on Izhmash and Tula magazines before the prices got stupid.
I've got lots of Circle 10's but they just aren't the same..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually have sold off almost all of my AKs, RPDs, PKMs, etc.

The ones I know i have left are a Hungarian underfolder I bought in 1980s, a Chinese "Hunter" milled receiver converted to sidefolder, and a Saiga .308 with long barrel (IIRC 20 in) with the plastic "sniper" stock... all bought while that stuff was cheap.

There might be a couple more stashed away - I know there's a minty polish underfolder kit in one of the footlockers in the garage.

Nothing was planned, my interests changed and this is just how it turned out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#23]
The only one I want is an AKs-74u

But, 5.45 is more expensive than 5.56…
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#24]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
@TX-Zen would be THE man to ask about all things AK.  

He's taken collecting and configuring AK-series rifles to a higher art form.
View All Quotes

I don't have any adult supervision, so here we are haha

Originally Posted By bw77:
I have many different guns in my collection but I have never owned an AK. I do have a VZ58 which is pretty awesome.  With so many AKs out there and  none really being cheap anymore, if you were going to own just one what brand would you buy? Are the $1800 Arsenals worth it? Or is my money better spent on a mid tier AK? If so what brand? Anything worth it in the $1000-$1200 range?

Knowing what I do now but starting all over, if I had to get a heathen caliber like 7.62x39 I'd go with the PSA 103 with FN CHF barrel. Suppressed they shoot under 1.5 MOA, which has been verified by a number of peeople including Rob Ski of AKOU. The PSA 103 is domestically made so no import bans or ridiculous collector prices and it outshoots every 7.62 rifle I've handled except maybe the Valmet. Can't speak to 20,000+ round count longevity yet but they seem to be holding up well overall. It'd be nice to see one at Battlefield Vegas getting the 100,000 full auto rental life but I haven't heard of them picking up a PSA yet

I'm not as sure yet about the PSA 5.56 guns, but the 5.45 rifles have had some teething troubles and get a lot of hate on some AK forums. I have a 5.45 PSA and it's been fine but it's not a super high round count gun for me yet, nothing like I've done with some of my russian or bulgarian guns

Speaking of bulgarian, the Arsenals are great rifles but they are hit by collector grade pricing and consequently expensive. I'm not ready to say they aren't worth it but prices can get really high. Again knowing what I know now if I had to buy only one I would personally consider an SLR107FR in 7.62x39 but would probably go with the PSA 103. If it was 5.45 it would be a Russian SGL31-44 all day, or an older bulgy SLR105, or maybe an SLR104FR. I have all of these and there are no significant performance differences between them

Rob's testing of the PSA 103. I had two of these at one point, and two other friends had them as well, so I was able to observe a total of 5 rifles shooting 1.5 MOA suppressed, and one unsuppressed that did 1.8 MOA with irons

You can do a lot with AKs these days btw. Almost everything a typical carbine AR can do I've also been able to get my AK105 do as well, but at about 1 pound heavier than the equivalent night vision AR setup

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clockwork138] [#25]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

Man, why would you sell that beauty?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:

My unissued PMKMS build is probably the one gun I regret selling the most. The trunnion date was even the same as my birth year. It was by far the highest quality AK kit I had; on the same level of quality as the Saiga rifles. It was also the most expensive... at $250.
https://i.imgur.com/Vw7HBLs.jpg

It was one of the two times I decided I only needed one AK. I determined if I was going to have just one then it should have a fixed stock rear trunnion for the purpose of modularity. That was ~15-years-ago. Now, after my second AK culling, my only AK is an SBR'd, underfolder M92 PAP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:
Do Saiga 12.  Count?
View Quote
Only if the Vepr 12 does too

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:

Knowing what I do now but starting all over, if I had to get a heathen caliber like 7.62x39 I'd go with the PSA 103 with FN CHF barrel. Suppressed they shoot under 1.5 MOA, which has been verified by a number of peeople including Rob Ski of AKOU. The PSA 103 is domestically made so no import bans or ridiculous collector prices and it outshoots every 7.62 rifle I've handled except maybe the Valmet. Can't speak to 20,000+ round count longevity yet but they seem to be holding up well overall. It'd be nice to see one at Battlefield Vegas getting the 100,000 full auto rental life but I haven't heard of them picking up a PSA yet

I'm not as sure yet about the PSA 5.56 guns, but the 5.45 rifles have had some teething troubles and get a lot of hate on some AK forums. I have a 5.45 PSA and it's been fine but it's not a super high round count gun for me yet, nothing like I've done with some of my russian or bulgarian guns

Speaking of bulgarian, the Arsenals are great rifles but they are hit by collector grade pricing and consequently expensive. I'm not ready to say they aren't worth it but prices can get really high. Again knowing what I know now if I had to buy only one I would personally consider an SLR107FR in 7.62x39 but would probably go with the PSA 103. If it was 5.45 it would be a Russian SGL31-44 all day, or an older bulgy SLR105, or maybe an SLR104FR. I have all of these and there are no significant performance differences between them

Rob's testing of the PSA 103. I had two of these at one point, and two other friends had them as well, so I was able to observe a total of 5 rifles shooting 1.5 MOA suppressed, and one unsuppressed that did 1.8 MOA with irons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGkd0r9G00

You can do a lot with AKs these days btw. Almost everything a typical carbine AR can do I've also been able to get my AK105 do as well, but at about 1 pound heavier than the equivalent night vision AR setup
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20240318_111406-3173438.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20210329_124013-1884862.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:

I have many different guns in my collection but I have never owned an AK. I do have a VZ58 which is pretty awesome.  With so many AKs out there and  none really being cheap anymore, if you were going to own just one what brand would you buy? Are the $1800 Arsenals worth it? Or is my money better spent on a mid tier AK? If so what brand? Anything worth it in the $1000-$1200 range?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGkd0r9G00

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20240318_111406-3173438.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20210329_124013-1884862.jpg

Good to see you again-your AK posts are always a delight to read, sir.  

And continue to evade the adults in pursuit of your studies and passion, please :)

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HamonRye:
SAR1  is a solid AK
View Quote

Minus the unthreaded muzzle and being semi auto, it's a legit AKM from a combloc weapons factory
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Polish UF~

https://i.imgur.com/WB0U4pT.jpg

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I have one AK and its a molot vepr in 5.45. ( also have a saiga .308 but that doesnt really count )
View Quote

Man, I LOVE my Vepr. Only managed to get a Vepr12. I do have several siagas in various gauges and calibers (and all need to be cleaned right now). They are nice rifles. The finish is garbage and comes off the brake cleaner or hoppes. They shoot good and will outlive me. The Vepr is just a step up. Everything is better. Bigger receiver, better fit and finish, better everywhere. Also love the BHO on the Vepr12.

All of my Bulgarian rifles are AK74, an AKS74U and an AKS74. Both fantastic and very accurate rifles.

Built up a Romy RPK recently. Best/closest to the Russian RPK without being Russian. It runs good. Seems to be accurate enough. Fit and finish it what I made it be since I built it.

Pic for the hell of it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
For me it would be my Zastava ZPAP M92.  

https://i.imgur.com/04YB6Fv.jpeg
View Quote

Beautiful! I'm thinking of turning my M92 into an underfolder.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Tough call.
I've kind of ordered my stash based on long term storage suitability.

Unlaquered Wolf/Bear gets used first.
Boxed laquer second.
Spam canned laquered last.
A bunch of M67 just sits in storage because it's corrosive and I'm too lazy to clean my rifles after shooting it.

I keep a few thousand non- corrosive brass laying around for some reason.
For a while, a few years back, Norma was putting out brass 7.62x39 for reasonable prices with frequent sales.
Bought a bunch just because, not really sure what to do with it but it's clean and pretty accurate.

View Quote

I bought a bunch of the Norma and the Belom in those weird plastic boxes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#33]

It was one of the two times I decided I only needed one AK. I determined if I was going to have just one then it should have a fixed stock rear trunnion for the purpose of modularity. That was ~15-years-ago. Now, after my second AK culling, my only AK is an SBR'd, underfolder M92 PAP.
View All Quotes

My unissued PMKMS build is probably the one gun I regret selling the most. The trunnion date was even the same as my birth year. It was by far the highest quality AK kit I had; on the same level of quality as the Saiga rifles. It was also the most expensive... at $250.
https://i.imgur.com/Vw7HBLs.jpg

Lol, funny how that happens. That's why I think I'm a borderline hoarder. I can't get rid of anything.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Whatever the Israeli version was. It was chambered in 5.56 and competently put together. But I still wouldn't buy one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#35]
Any AK? The original AK-12 in 5.56. It was to the AK series what the newest ARs or M4 was to the original AR-15. i.e. they brought it into the 21st century.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd own a really long one that ran on a short stroke piston and fired 7.62x54.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Valmet M62
PolyTech Legend (which I already own).
Bulgarian for a new purchase circa. 2024.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#38]
My only AK, SLR104UR
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#39]
My "one and done" AK is my Arsenal SAM7R. No frills. Just a fixed stock, beefy milled AK that is a smooth shooter.

I will never wear that thing out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Since I've sold down to only one AK... I guess I know my answer!

Saiga12!  It's just so much fun to shoot
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By QUACK32:
Do not waste your money. I was in the same position, Bought a cheap, AK yugo underfolder, it sucked.
Then I bought a arsenal AK. it also sucked.
Sold them both to different people who bought them for the same reason. They both had them up for sale within a couple weeks.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.

I have a pile of AKs but not because they are good, because they were cheap.

Now that they are expensive, it makes no sense.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I wanted 7.62x39, but didn’t want an AK.  Got a colt M4 for $700 and love it!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Front fell off  Front went to CA!https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/20220320_111338-2321415.jpg
View Quote

That's gayer than two guys fucking a third guy.

But I kinda dig it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I only have one, and its a stamped Zastava M92.  I had a WASR that shot great, but I just did not like it.  Sold it to a friend.  Kind of regreted selling it and wanted to just have an AK.  I think I paid $300 for the M92.  It does what its supposed to do...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Polytec legend with the red wood.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

Yes. A Sig550.
View Quote

Ahhhh... a man of taste in an AK thread... rare indeed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a WASR and Polish milled.
I really preferred the AK74 I had, but with FBHO, it became worth so much, I caved (that and the fact that none of the shooting buddies have one).
Realistically, I keep the AK for when someone wants to try shooting for the first time, they always want to shoot and AK.  Personally, I prefer the SKS to the AK.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By styles:
I wanted 7.62x39, but didn’t want an AK.  Got a colt M4 for $700 and love it!
View Quote

The best 762x39 shooter is the PTR32, hands down.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm happy with my unfired 1997 Romy CUR2. I've replaced the thumbhole stock with a correct Romanian blonde laminate and added a correct muzzle break. Two Rivers pinned a threaded bushing on the thin barrel and timed it perfectly. Yes, it's a safe queen but I bought it cheap enough to be able to keep it in this condition as an investment piece. They really are the best of the SAR era rifles.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#50]
There are a lot of cool AKs in this thread. Who’s the best smith to send my AK to replace my front end? Money is not a concern. I want it done right. Last guy to build an AK for me was worse than Century.
Page / 5
Top Top