Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BikerNut:

I suppose black bears and brown bears are woke.

A white bear would be a racist bear, and very dangerous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
Originally Posted By taliv:
Originally Posted By XDONX3:

If it's brown, lay down. If it's black, fight back.

Wait are we still talking about bears?

I suppose black bears and brown bears are woke.

A white bear would be a racist bear, and very dangerous.

The white bear is the most dangerous of all the bears.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

There's the problem. You see it as "villainizing." It isn't. It's nothing but logical risk assessment.
View Quote
If it were, I'd agree.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
It's a "thought experiment" by the women that no one wants to fuck who thinks that every man wants to rape them. Now I truly do understand that women face dangers that men do not, but when you're seeing a rapist behind every bush, you need to mental health help.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
Been seeing this crap pop up in my feeds last few days. Not sure what it is about. I am sure it has something to do with mental illness or something stupid.
It's a "thought experiment" by the women that no one wants to fuck who thinks that every man wants to rape them. Now I truly do understand that women face dangers that men do not, but when you're seeing a rapist behind every bush, you need to mental health help.

Well, at least the bear might eat them where a self-respecting man wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By skid2041:

This horrible! Don't they know that bears are the cause of 76% of all wilderness assaults and violence? Even thought they only make uo about 13% of the total wilderness predator population?

What are they thinking?
View Quote

Well played.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole thread has put me in a really bad mood. I wish I hadn't clicked.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd guess the average American woman has tens of thousands of encounters with men they don't know every year of their life, with no physical assault happening.  The American population as a whole likely has fewer face-to-face bear encounters each year than that individual woman does with unknown men.

Of course, other details matter.  Are we talking a random man from Utah vs a random polar bear, or a random man from Somalia vs a random black bear?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe the bear isn’t so bad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#8]
Originally Posted By Clemson_John:
I'd guess the average American woman has tens of thousands of encounters with men they don't know every year of their life, with no physical assault happening.  The American population as a whole likely has fewer face-to-face bear encounters each year than that individual woman does with unknown men.

Of course, other details matter.  Are we talking a random man from Utah vs a random polar bear, or a random man from Somalia vs a random black bear?
View Quote
Let's stick to north america....who knows what those Somali bears are like.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
This whole thread has put me in a really bad mood. I wish I hadn't clicked.
View Quote
Yeah.

Prost!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Let's stick to north america....who knows what those Somali bears are like.
View Quote

Considering they don't exist, they're probably not violent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
So a bear is a bear...suggesting it's definitely dangerous.  But a man can be many things...most of which aren't dangerous.  

This is fucking clown shoes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L_JE:
A bear is a bear.

A man, however, can be many things.

There are inherent risk with the latter.

With a bear, you treat it as a fucking bear.  He's not your fucking friend.  He's a fucking bear, and you treat him as such.

With respect to men, women are asked to what?  Assume that some might be dangerous, are dangerous, whereas others are not?  I'm sorry, but do you not see the inherent risks of our modern social constructions?
So a bear is a bear...suggesting it's definitely dangerous.  But a man can be many things...most of which aren't dangerous.  

This is fucking clown shoes.

You've only got to view the bear as dangerous.  It's no skin off your back to do so.

Meanwhile, a woman has to deal with men in a far more complex social/societal construct.  That's just reality.  And I've never been offended by it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]

You've only got to view the bear as dangerous.  It's no skin off your back to do so.

Meanwhile, a woman has to deal with men in a far more complex social/societal construct.  That's just reality.  And I've never been offended by it.
View Quote
Ahh...sounds like they are viewing all men as dangerous to me...thats kinda the point of this discussion.  

You good?  No joke you seem to be running at half speed tonight.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Most men are not rapists.  Most men are good people.  Those are facts.

I believe random men are more likely to protect me from danger than attack me (even if that danger IS another man).  

However, could y'all please reconcile this idea that women are crazy to be concerned about their safety around unknown men (in general) while every thread discussing a woman being raped/murdered while out jogging, after leaving a bar with someone they just met, after drinking too much at party is filled with, "Well, what did she expect going out jogging that time of day?  Women have no situational awareness and are too trusting.  I bet she was more worried about *being nice* instead of her own safety.
Tell your women to always have their heads on a swivel."  

Can't have it both ways.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#14]
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:

I believe random men are more likely to protect me from danger than attack me (even if that danger IS another man).  

However, could y'all please reconcile this idea that women are crazy to be concerned about their safety around unknown men (in general) while every thread discussing a woman being raped/murdered while out jogging, after leaving a bar with someone they just met, after drinking too much at party is filled with, "Well, what did she expect going out jogging that time of day?  Women have no situational awareness and are too trusting.  I bet she was more worried about *being nice* instead of her own safety.

Can't have it both ways.  

View Quote

You literally just asked why they can’t have it both ways. Mental illness.  There can be no reconciliation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

You literally just asked why they can’t have it both ways. Mental illness.  There can be no reconciliation.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
How do check out girls , waitresses etc even function ? Interacting with hundreds of rapists a day must be horrifying .

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Wonder if they would still choose the bear if it were a polar bear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]

I chose the bear. It’s the safer choice.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
If they choose the bear, I hope their wish comes true.

I chose the bear. It’s the safer choice.

You are fuckin right it is. Bear is not gonna cage you up in his basement for a decade as his slave.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Bear Attacks Girl’s Kayak (Full Video)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
A few pretty good memes in this thread
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Best to be armed for both.  I'm guessing they've never been in the woods with a grizzly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Ahh...sounds like they are viewing all men as dangerous to me...thats kinda the point of this discussion.  

View All Quotes

They're obviously not dealing with men the same way they'd deal with a bear.  You don't interact with the bear.  Women will, however, be interacting with men; observations/assessments/actions that are a lot more complex than the simple, binary case of having a bear show up.

This isn't anything new.  It's come up in conversation over the years with women out in the field, out on the road - never as narrow as any one of them ever literally telling me they'd prefer the simplicity of just walking away from a bear, but discussing the complexities and natural disadvantage they were at in the course of engagement, vs the simplicity of avoidance.  Out in the wilderness, or in the jungle of society, same basic thing.

Being a man seems to be simpler, because we never really think about it that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Women Going Their Own Way thread.  Lulz.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Can't have it both ways.  

I am asking why, in this thread and other threads about *rape culture* (which I disagree with being a thing, btw) so many are appalled at the idea of women being uneasy around men they don't know.  Posters are saying women think all men are out to rape them or hiding behind bushes or whatnot to make the idea of it seem crazy and irrational.  

But in the threads discussing women who DO get raped/kidnapped/murdered, posters talk about how she was too trusting, put herself in danger by going out jogging really early in the morning or in a non-populated area, etc.  

You can't call women crazy/distrustful for being concerned about predatory men then call women crazy/too trusting when they are actually attacked by predatory men.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy shit did this bear thing drive a lightning bolt between all of us.

Some men are protectors. Few are predators.

All bears are predators. If they’re not, they’re just not hungry yet.

These are facts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Go away!  

Wait - come back!

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#27]

They're obviously not dealing with men the same way they'd deal with a bear.  You don't interact with the bear.  Women will, however, be interacting with men; observations/assessments/actions that are a lot more complex than the simple, binary case of having a bear show up.

This isn't anything new.  It's come up in conversation over the years with women out in the field, out on the road - never as narrow as any one of them ever literally telling me they'd prefer the simplicity of just walking away from a bear, but discussing the complexities and natural disadvantage they were at in the course of engagement, vs the simplicity of avoidance.  Out in the wilderness, or in the jungle of society, same basic thing.

Being a man seems to be simpler, because we never really think about it that way.
View Quote
I accept that there are differences in how men and women perceive physical safety, for legitimate reasons, and I recognized in my first post that some men are dangerous.

My objection is two fold, the abject idiocy of the numerical comparison. Secondly, the willingness to imply men are dangerous categorically. Categorically characterizing any group is usually frowned up. We don't tolerate it here for several identified groups.

It happens but it's cringe worthy every time.

This thread is that, idiotic factually and cringe worthy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
Wonder if they would still choose the bear if it were a polar bear.
View Quote

What about a Panda? They're sooooo cute.

Desiigner - Panda (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Holy shit did this bear thing drive a lightning bolt between all of us.

Some men are protectors. Few are predators.

All bears are predators. If they’re not, they’re just not hungry yet.

These are facts.
View Quote

Those are facts.  I personally would choose a man over a bear any day of the week.  

My only beef was with all the hyperbole about how women must think *all* men are rapists or whatever (which was never an argument) yet when a woman is attacked she *should have known better* than to put herself in a situation with a man she doesn't know.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Categorically characterizing any group is usually frowned up. We don't tolerate it here for several identified groups.

View Quote

I've never seen anyone reprimanded for the oft repeated statements here that all women are whores.  All women are liars.  All women will cheat if given the opportunity.  All women are illogical/irrational/crazy/emotional basket cases, etc.  

Those are always tolerated.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#31]

I've never seen anyone reprimanded for the oft repeated statements here that all women are whores.  All women are liars.  All women will cheat if given the opportunity.  All women are illogical/irrational/crazy/emotional basket cases, etc.  

Those are always tolerated.  

View Quote

That's a fair criticism.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#32]
WGTOW?

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Those are facts.  I personally would choose a man over a bear any day of the week.  

My only beef was with all the hyperbole about how women must think *all* men are rapists or whatever (which was never an argument) yet when a woman is attacked she *should have known better* than to put herself in a situation with a man she doesn't know.  
View Quote
The "she should have known better" thing is bullshit. Predatory violence is the fault of the attacker, always.

Some interesting stats.  Men are certainly responsible for most murders. 15k to 3k, 5k unknown.

Men are overwhelmingly the most likely victims. 4x more likely.  Yet we apparently don't fear other men like we should. Dumb bastards.

After this conversation I expected to find that women were the majority of murder victims.

I would think sexual assault would have dramatically different numbers but these days...

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
So when they are at the zoo, which side of the fence do they choose to be on? I have never seen anyone choose the bear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PovertyPonies] [#35]
Bear destroys woman's kayak

after watching this video, 87% percent of women went with Man instead.  because at least men don't eat kayaks

ETA: predictably, beaten
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]
A few years back I was hiking in Great Smokies National Park. Some poor girl fell and broke her ankle. Other hikers found them but had to walk a mile or two to get a signal to call for help. The girls were terrified. The SAR that went in to get them were two guys. Now I ask, what was the girl hoping to see. A bear or a couple of men.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
The "she should have known better" thing is bullshit. Predatory violence is the fault of the attacker, always.

Some interesting stats.  Men are certainly responsible for most murders. 15k to 3k, 5k unknown.

Men are overwhelmingly the most likely victims. 4x more likely.  Yet we apparently don't fear other men like we should. Dumb bastards.

After this conversation I expected to find that women were the majority of murder victims.

I would think sexual assault would have dramatically different numbers but these days...

View Quote

What would really bake your noodle is that women aren't the ones who suffer the most sexual assaults, either. Although men are victims at a higher percentage, it's close enough to be nearly equal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Can't have it both ways.  

View Quote

Whenever I suggest "well, when a guy does horrible things to a woman, why don't we take them outback and shoot them in the head? Put those assholes down on the spot."

To which the reply more often than not is "no, we don't need to do that, because someone still cares about them. They just need to understand it's not ok to do that and not do it anymore." They already know that it's not ok, they don't fucking care! But apparently killing them isn't an option either, for some reason. And the prison sentences they receive are usually a fucking joke. That's insane to me. If you're a predator, you gotta go. Those who care about you are just gonna have to deal with it. But no, things are too complicated for that to be a solution. So then there is no solution and we continue the circle jerk.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

What would really bake your noodle is that women aren't the ones who suffer the most sexual assaults, either. Although men are victims at a higher percentage, it's close enough to be nearly equal.
View All Quotes

Really?  I was being sarcastic-ish.  Men actually suffer a similar instance of sexual assault?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Whenever I suggest "well, when a guy does horrible things to a woman, why don't we take them outback and shoot them in the head? Put those assholes down on the spot."

To which the reply more often than not is "no, we don't need to do that, because someone still cares about them. They just need to understand it's not ok to do that and not do it anymore." They already know that it's not ok, they don't fucking care! But apparently killing them isn't an option either, for some reason. And the prison sentences they receive are usually a fucking joke. That's insane to me. If you're a predator, you gotta go. Those who care about you are just gonna have to deal with it. But no, things are too complicated for that to be a solution. So then there is no solution and we continue the circle jerk.
View Quote
The world is fucking upside down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#42]
Really?  I was being sarcastic-ish.  Men actually suffer a similar instance of sexual assault?
View Quote

Prison skews the results for sexual assault in men versus women, IMO. They've started dividing the categories into sexual assault, rape and complete rape now. Sexual assault is the overarching category but they divide rape and complete rape, now.

Sexual Assault Statistics
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#43]
What do you expect, women are dumb.

Do you skin grizz pilgrim?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Prison skews the results for sexual assault in men versus women, IMO. They've started dividing the categories into sexual assault, rape and complete rape now. Sexual assault is the overarching category but they divide rape and complete rape, now.
View Quote
I have questions...but I don't actually want answers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Keep this thread in mind the next time you see a "Is a 454 Casull enough gun at the petting zoo?" thread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By skid2041:

This horrible! Don't they know that bears are the cause of 76% of all wilderness assaults and violence? Even thought they only make uo about 13% of the total wilderness predator population?

What are they thinking?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I have questions...but I don't actually want answers.
View Quote

Me, either.

The problem with the statistics is data collection and sources, as they vary. No matter who collects the data, both results are very close together. Also, the percentage of men who commit violent crime is astronomically low, but I think women are more focused on the sexual aspect of violent assault.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Loud of people have a poor understanding of normalcy bias

My family is currently camping.

my wife has run into at least three men alone today while we have been out in the woods or near camp.  Over the course of our lifetime, much of which has been hiking, I suspect she's encountered hundreds of men when I'm doing something else.  Non issues, hundreds of times over.

are random men potentially a threat, sure- maybe 0.01% of the time or less.  I'm certain bear encounters carry a higher, but also low risk, maybe ~1%.  But men are so frequently encountered that ratio gets lost in the sauce
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Me, either.

The problem with the statistics is data collection and sources, as they vary. No matter who collects the data, both results are very close together. Also, the percentage of men who commit violent crime is astronomically low, but I think women are more focused on the sexual aspect of violent assault.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't blame them. It's the kind of crime that would make good men fire up the tree chipper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#50]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

my wife has run into at least three men alone today while we have been out in the woods or near camp.  Over the course of our lifetime, much of which has been hiking, I suspect she's encountered hundreds of men when I'm doing something else.  Non issues, hundreds of times over.

are random men potentially a threat, sure- maybe 0.01% of the time or less.  I'm certain bear encounters carry a higher, but also low risk, maybe ~1%.  But men are so frequently encountered that ratio gets lost in the sauce
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

I did the math, and it's actually a 0.0056% chance using population and numbers of assaults (which includes things like cities and prisons in those statistics).

(Assaults with weapons+Assaults without weapons)/adult population

Yeah, I don't blame them. It's the kind of crime that would make good men fire up the tree chipper.

Absolutely.
Page / 15
Top Top