Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I think some can from other investments not from surgeries .

A surgery that the insurance pays that cost 250 K if you look at an itemized list
the surgeon fee is 30 or 40 K
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
Yes, very possible. In med school, I did a rotation with a pair of retinal surgeons. They were both pilots too. They owned a small jet that they flew to the various clinics in the intermountain west. Their equipment costs hundreds of thousands and they weren't about to check it in a commercial plane's hold. They owned the jet as a business asset and expense.
View Quote

Retina is still top tier for Ophthalmology but reimbursement has been reduced so much for anti-VEGF injections that it’s much less lucrative than it was 10 years ago. Cataracts don’t pay what they used to either. See more patients and get paid less. I guess that’s why it’s not a hot specialty anymore. Probably derm and interventional radiology are better paying
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Neurosurgeons average something like $3 million a year.  A senior partner in a successful practice could easily justify that.  I know of an orthopedic surgery practice near me that owns a Gulf Stream.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Fauci could
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably, if he owns a successful practice and does lots of procedures.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By skippycoop:
Neurosurgeons average something like $3 million a year.  A senior partner in a successful practice could easily justify that.  I know of an orthopedic surgery practice near me that owns a Gulf Stream.
View Quote

That's not average though
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
He could be chartering it out when he isn’t using it.

A friend flies for a wealthy family that does that with their private jet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
No idea, maybe he has a setup like my old doctor?
https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdal/pr/montgomery-pill-mill-doctor-receives-145-month-sentence-drug-distribution-health-care

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/neuro-surgeon-salary

does not seem average.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a surgeon uncle who owned multiple cabin class planes. My grandfather did too. So did several of my cousins. The cost to operate an old KingAir or an old Citation went from hundreds of thousands of dollars to a million plus per year just to maintain an antique airplane. Not to upgrade avionics, engines, paint, and interior, and ever increasingly impossible insurance.

Might as well buy some piece of shit Honda that you’re eventually gonna drive off the side of the runway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
I have a surgeon uncle who owned multiple cabin class planes. My grandfather did too. So did several of my cousins. The cost to operate an old KingAir or an old Citation went from hundreds of thousands of dollars to a million plus per year just to maintain an antique airplane. Not to upgrade avionics, engines, paint, and interior, and ever increasingly impossible insurance.

Might as well buy some piece of shit Honda that you're eventually gonna drive off the side of the runway.
View Quote
you're not making me feel great about flying on old king airs for work.

my favorite are the pilots who look like and fly like drug runners.

mountain flying be like:

American Made (2017) - Becoming a Drug Plane Scene (1/10) | Movieclips

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I work for that guy. It’s legitimate though. It’s an FAA approved leaseback to the local 135. Crazily enough I’m also their chief pilot. We fly our jet about 50% for the owner and about 50% for the charter company. All under the 135 certificate of course.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
you're not making me feel great about flying on old king airs for work.

my favorite are the pilots who look like and fly like drug runners.

mountain flying be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmLLBZnvDg

View Quote

Old chief pilot I used to work for knew and flew with Barry Seals. I could tell he was used to shady shit and expected us to do shady shit. I’m glad he retired and I moved on to more reputable stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I almost bought a small personal jet in the late 90s. I was making tons of cash from our business BUT the "jet money" would have come from Real Estate money which CAME from our business. No where near $5M a year but more than I'd ever imagined from a dumbass like me. I've know some incredibly wealthy people and EVERY one owned a business that made enough money to allow them to get into RE.

In retrospect NOT buying the jet is what allowed me to retire so early. Good trade in my book.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Old chief pilot I used to work for knew and flew with Barry Seals. I could tell he was used to shady shit and expected us to do shady shit. I'm glad he retired and I moved on to more reputable stuff.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

i always listen to "treetop flyer" when flying on those old king airs for work.

Treetop Flyer - Stephen Stills (Live)

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fish223:
First thing to remember is never diagnose someone's wallet.

All kinds of "unexpected" money all kinds of places.
View Quote

This.
It's also possible that the jet is a business expense (tax write off) if the surgeon is traveling to perform procedures.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say it's realistically possible for anyone to own a jet, so with the given information I'd say yes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LE6920:

Some peoples finances aren’t dependent on only their paycheck.
View Quote

This. No a surgeon salary alone won't support that lifestyle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
I almost bought a small personal jet in the late 90s. I was making tons of cash from our business BUT the "jet money" would have come from Real Estate money which CAME from our business. No where near $5M a year but more than I'd ever imagined from a dumbass like me. I've know some incredibly wealthy people and EVERY one owned a business that made enough money to allow them to get into RE.

In retrospect NOT buying the jet is what allowed me to retire so early. Good trade in my book.
View Quote

Flying an average 10 seat jet 500 hours a year costs about half of the purchase cost. $5000 x 500. And $5000/hr is the price you tell everyone. Not the actual price. The CFO will tell you that a $5M jet is really going to cost you $10k/hr to operate. 100% of jets are broken with at least $50-100k to repair. Until next week when it happens again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
If you did something like form a charter LLC with 4 other guys and lease it out when not personally needed you probably could get away with under 3 million buy in for something older or smaller.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine has a brother who is an oral surgeon. He invented some new technique  years ago that became famous. He got paid LOTS of money to travel all over teaching it to people.

He once let me sit in his one off lambo, start it, and rev the engine…..

If he flew, I bet he could afford his own jet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Orthopods make all sorts of fuck you Money....
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I think your question should be "can an AVERAGE surgeon make enough from doing surgeries to own a personal jet"?

The answer is no....a founding partner in a Beverly Hills plastics firm that has many surgeons working under him, and many satellite practices may make the kind of money to LEASE TIME on a jet.  No one in medicine is making private jet money on billing.  I do fairly well in medicine, and I'll tell you that most docs fall in the sweet part of the curve where we pay an assload of taxes and don't have much to write off.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
If you did something like form a charter LLC with 4 other guys and lease it out when not personally needed you probably could get away with under 3 million buy in for something older or smaller.
View Quote

You’re still out $100ks to millions on bigger inspections. Before you buy fuel, engine program, pilot salary, insurance, hangar rent. Then all of the smaller MX like buying $600 tires and $75k brake jobs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#25]
i’m sure some can, but many can’t. good friends w heart & spine/brain surgeons. some own or are partners in surgery centers.
one brain/spine guy that’s now at another local hospital, has multiple patents w iirc, medtronic or another company and receives royalties. in fact, i believe he was in a lawsuit suing a company or two for trying to steal his patent(s) or ideas.

i’m sure he’s loaded. i never cared to work with him, he was always a prick regardless of what was going right or wrong. i hated dealing w him.

the other guys are super chill & nice. can obviously afford whatever they want. nice trips often, own land and plenty of guns, go hunt, etc. they don’t own jets, but i’m sure they could be partners and do that route.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Bought Bitcoin 10yrs ago
View Quote

And MVIS two years ago.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:42:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanaryCamaro] [#27]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
If this guy can have multiple jets, I don't see why a surgeon can't have at least one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Screenshot_2024-05-04_125340_jpg-3205448.JPG
View Quote

I have sold that guy multiple sets of tires for his Bentleys, Mercedes, and BMWs. It’s insane how much money that fraud swindles from people.  Fucker even has his own runway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#28]
In 1995 I knew a liver transplant surgeon hired to stand up a large regional hospital unit.

Their starting salary then was 640k plus fees earned.

Not your average cutter, but, I imagine he and others of his stature could by a nice plane today.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]

You’re still out $100ks to millions on bigger inspections. Before you buy fuel, engine program, pilot salary, insurance, hangar rent. Then all of the smaller MX like buying $600 tires and $75k brake jobs.
View Quote

Sure, but a 15 million dollar pot will get the wheels off the ground so to speak on something like a Phenom 100 sized aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Some do.   We had a cardiovascular surgeon at a job,  reportedly $1m/year contract with hospital.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw a documentary about a Navy Captain that owned an old warbird, so it's not unfathomable that a successful surgeon could own a HondaJet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
I get it, but if you're going to own a jet, any jet, you need the renewable kind of money, not the "I happened to win the sperm lottery" type money.
View Quote

The latter is often far more renewable than the former, and does not have the same kinds of limits.  It all depends on how you learn to manage it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#33]
A surgeon who replaced the hip of a friend said he didn't approximately 525 replacements a year. You do the math.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#34]
First three posts.
Knew a plastics guy in Orlando who did pro-bono work in our ER, he liked the Viper one of our nurses drove (inheritance) but couldn’t decide if he wanted the coupe, or the convertible. So he bought both.
Had a hella car collection already.

Same joke every time he’d come in, ‘Hi Dr. Xxx, what have you been up to?’
Him,’Oh, just making mountains out of molehills…’

Funny guy. His son is a QB in the NFL.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#35]
Surgeons don't make private jet level cash solely from their personal practice of medicine.

Can businessmen and entrepreneurs that have MD after their name make that kind of cash?  Of course.

But doing surgery and sending bills to insurance companies and grandma?  No way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
lol. No they don't.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I've met and know a lot of wealthy people. Nearly all were either self-made business owners, lawyers or doctors. A surgeon can easily make money like that, especially if they've developed a practice with multiple locations/doctors.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

There was an ortho in central Florida back in the 90s who was pulling down 4-5 mil a year according to the hospital gossip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackalnHyde] [#39]
Real answer, it is "possible" but DEFINITELY not the norm - bordering on unlikely/outliers. A shared private jet/time share is more likely. They would have to have other outside investments and got lucky with those or be in a very successful private practice (think Botched, the TV show), to own a private jet outright w/ crew, matience, etc. Also the baseline income is going to vary widely from specialty, private practice, do they work at an academic medical center, their contract w/ their hospital network or practice etc.

Also GD needs to learn the difference between mean (average) and median income. The median income is better reflected. Further most medical docs don't start making any real money until probably about ~5 years after residency was completed. Paying off school debt, living espenses, etc.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I used to workout with a neurosurgeon who drove a Bugatti Veyron so yeah
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
A surgeon who replaced the hip of a friend said he didn't approximately 525 replacements a year. You do the math.
View Quote

Surgeons bill Medicare about $1,400 for a hip replacement. So gross revenue of around $735,000. Overhead is a lean 55%, so the surgeon is making about $330,000. Net out benefits and employer side taxes and it's similar to a $275,000 W2 job.

Not bad for a 70 hour a week job!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Depending on if they own a clinic or partners in a profitable practice.  I was at the track and a Vein Clinic rolled up with custom Porsches and double decker trailers.  They had a pit crew as well.

You don’t have to buy the plane outright, they take payments and lease.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, it is possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#44]
more than possible

and drives the pizz out of them

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Knew a surgeon who had a 55' yacht back in 94-95 timeframe. With crew, and married with bitches on the side.

He was Indian so I don't think he had to worry about divorce.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#46]
My sister in law just started here career after residency. She works in general surgery at hospital and her starting salary was $450k a year. I think the surgeon in the OP runs his own practice. Cosmetics pay very well I'm told. Neurosurgery or cardiology might pay close to that kind of money. I would bet they owned the clinic.  My FIL owned part of a rural hospital, he made a shit of money and sold it to an HMO for more money than I would make in 10 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#47]
Originally Posted By sorionc:
https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/neuro-surgeon-salary

does not seem average.
View Quote

I feel confident that 3 mil is pie in the sky but that article definitely has some problems unless Colorado neurosurgeons are working for 60k.

ETA: and as I go further... 78k in NY, 48K in NC, 39k in ND? That's a totally fucked data set, and makes the rest extremely suspect.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
In this thread we find out that GD doesn't have any idea what high end doctors and lawyers make. Yes, if they prioritized it, many could own jets. Surgeons are normally in the highest paid category of medical doctor. Plenty that have been practicing for 15+ years, and were good at investing, are sitting on mountains of cash.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#49]
Not that unrealistic. Especially if he is well established in his field. If he owns his own practice that million dollar planes, garages full of sports cars, and beach front property are a given.

FWIW I know engineers who never made more than $100k a year in their career who are multimillionaires.  They had 35+ years maxing out their 401k, homes they bought for $100k in their early 20s that are now worth $1mil+, beach condos they bought for a $200k now worth $1-2mil.

Boomers really did have access to some amazing investment opportunities in their life time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#50]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
In this thread we find out that GD doesn't have any idea what high end doctors and lawyers make. Yes, if they prioritized it, many could own jets. Surgeons are normally in the highest paid category of medical doctor. Plenty that have been practicing for 15+ years, and were good at investing, are sitting on mountains of cash.
View Quote

Doctors are notoriously bad investors, big spenders, and income generators

Thank goodness there are still plenty of Bonanza's to keep the population in check
Page / 4
Top Top