Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Where I moved no building permit is required for structures under 300 sqft.

I built a 299.5 sqft cabin and pay roughly $400 per year in property taxes on “raw land”.

Fuck the government.
View Quote

>buy land
>build a 299.5 sqft shed for each family member
>pay cheap taxes
>problem solved, problem staying solved

Thanks for my new housing plan
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]

I built a 299.5 sqft cabin and pay roughly $400 per year in property taxes on "raw land".

Fuck the government.
View Quote
pics of cabin?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:03:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#3]

I built a 299.5 sqft cabin and pay roughly $400 per year in property taxes on “raw land”.

Fuck the government.
View Quote

You are a chick magnet, sir!  What woman could resist the charms of a 30'x10' one room hovel!

Does it have a dirt floor?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#4]

They fund a Highway Patrol force large enough to invade and occupy Europe. Those patrolmen then park along each and every mile marker so they can cite you for going 66 in a 65 zone.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:04:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Enzo300] [#5]
Michigan has something similar to Cali's Prop 13.
5% maximum annual increase in taxes, CPI rate increase if less than 5%.

It's a golden handcuff. The law took effect in 1994, right when we bought our house.
So we're effectively paying half of what a new owner of our house would pay.
Problem is selling. 3700sqft is way more than the 2 of us need, now with 4 kids gone.
If we buy a house HALF the value, we'd still be paying the same as we are now.
If we bought a smaller house of the same value, we'd have to pay double the tax we are now.
Kinda messed up. And they say boomers are over-housed. Yeah, no shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
The TEA party needs to come back.
View Quote

And not get infiltrated and corrupted by RINO’s this time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

>buy land
>build a 299.5 sqft shed for each family member
>pay cheap taxes
>problem solved, problem staying solved

Thanks for my new housing plan
View Quote
you can afford a Tuff Shed in this economy?

dood, save some pussy for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]
TX has high property taxes b/c of their 0 income tax.

CA has high income tax b/c they have Prop 13 which is a 1% limit on property tax based on purchase price with 2% annual increase limits which means a $10M dollar place today purchased in 1978 for $50K might only owe around $1800/yr in taxes. But if someone buys the property today, then it could be $100k/yr in taxes.

CO had a great constitutional limit that prevented large increases in property tax and helped balanced the residential against commercial. The fucking libs voted it out in 2019. "Don't worry what could go wrong?" My property taxes doubled in 5 years. Luckily there are some ballot initiatives to help with this...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Most of this is driven by the Cult of Public "Education."

Teacher and administrative salaries and benefits, massive school construction projects, etc., that no one dares to question because it's "for the children," when it is actually for all the adults attaching themselves to the government teat.

No one over 60 should have to pay a "school tax" regardless of the value of their property.

And people who are sending their children to private schools should be able to back their tuition out of their property tax to some extent.

View Quote

Our community school (grades 1-8) has 84 students last time I looked.  We don't have a high school, when they move on to high school they have to go to one of the two neighboring towns that each have a small high school.  One has a football program, one has a basketball program; that's usually how they choose where they want to advance to.

In the last decade, they have tried desperately to pass a $24 million bond issue for (get this) --- a freaking sports complex!  Luckily we have so far been successful in stopping the bond, but as west coasters and citiots keep moving in, it's getting closer to passing.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

Because .gov is a parasite.
View Quote

Because the education industrial complex is a false god.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Property taxes are becoming unattainable for many.

One of the many reasons why we're leaving.
View Quote

I would hate to have your tax bill in TX.  My inlaws live in Lampasas and their tax bill is double what my mom and stepdad pay here in bluegrass country.

Home values are similar, fwiw.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

Why are the locals selling to them then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
Why have the property taxes gone up that much?

Californians sell their garden shed for $2,000,000 then flee to states they haven’t fucked up yet and pay cash over asking price for real estate. Home values climb as a result along with property taxes. Eventually locals can’t afford to live where they grew up.

Californians are a swarm of aids infected locusts.

Why are the locals selling to them then?

Because human nature is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1catquak:
At what age should you stop paying property tax?

Let them take the tax out of the sale price after I’m dead.
View Quote

Better yet cut the amount that goes to schools to zero after age 50.  Then make families pay per kid to make up the difference.

The school part may be over 50% of my property tax bill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Californians sell their garden shed for $2,000,000 then flee to states they haven’t fucked up yet and pay cash over asking price for real estate. Home values climb as a result along with property taxes. Eventually locals can’t afford to live where they grew up.

View All Quotes

What you are describing is exactly what has happened to Californians.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Property taxes should be locked in at the time of sale.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
If you've lived & worked in a state and paid taxes for X number of years, let's say over 10 years, your property taxes should cease if you're 65 or older.

Gov't plans to tax you into homelessness to make room for the tax revenue producer. If you aren't a producer, they prefer that you either leave or die. That's an actual fact, they see you as a financial liability otherwise.

Property taxes should be locked in at the time of sale.

Not just the rate, the total dollar amount owed. It should be possible to pay off your property tax 100% and never owe another dime. Assess it based on purchase price and allow people to either pay it up front or roll it into their mortgage payment and pay it down over time with interest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

You are a chick magnet, sir!  What woman could resist the charms of a 30'x10' one room hovel!

Does it have a dirt floor?
View Quote

I stopped caring about what shallow vapid whores think of the things I own long ago. It’s always cheaper to rent.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
Look at the bright side. Our tax dollars have never been used more efficiently than they are now.

The roads are perfect, the crime is nonexistent, the education system is unparalleled.

As long as we agree to give them more taxes, our lives can only improve. Win win!
View Quote

Ron White has a legitimate contender...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Government at all levels has become imperious and unrestrained.

They govern by force, threat and intimidation.

We were warned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The taxes went up because the value of the house went up. The tax rate didn't change unless new local assessments were passed.

It's still only a fixed 1% plus any local assessments of the sales price whether you bought your house 15 years ago or today and then yearly cap on increases.
View Quote

Yeah, like I said.  Cheap if you bought when home prices were low.  Buy anything in most of California today and you are going to pay a lot of property tax.  And anyplace built recently will have Mello Roos on top of it.

My mom bought back in 2004 in Corona for $375K.  Her taxes have climb up to $6200 a year now.  Zillow values the place at $660K.  It's a small place in a retirement community.  A similar place just down the street that sold in 2022 is paying over $8200 in taxes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]

I stopped caring about what shallow vapid whores think of the things I own long ago. It’s always cheaper to rent.
View Quote

Welp, there it is...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Enzo300:
Michigan has something similar to Cali's Prop 13.
5% maximum annual increase in taxes, CPI rate increase if less than 5%.

It's a golden handcuff. The law took effect in 1994, right when we bought our house.
So we're effectively paying half of what a new owner of our house would pay.
Problem is selling. 3700sqft is way more than the 2 of us need, now with 4 kids gone.
If we buy a house HALF the value, we'd still be paying the same as we are now.
If we bought a smaller house of the same value, we'd have to pay double the tax we are now.
Kinda messed up. And they say boomers are over-housed. Yeah, no shit.
View Quote

I have a house in MI. Paid 157k for it in 2011. Property taxes are 6k a year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NickPapagiorgio:

Not just the rate, the total dollar amount owed. It should be possible to pay off your property tax 100% and never owe another dime. Assess it based on purchase price and allow people to either pay it up front or roll it into their mortgage payment and pay it down over time with interest.
View Quote

I’m fine with it.

I’m also fine with replacing all taxation with a sales tax.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Because property taxes are based on how much the property is "worth".

Taxes collected on asset "value" on an annual basis are the most unfair, destructive, and harmful taxes because the value of a home doesn't do the home owner any good when they are living in it.

Value isn't income, it's not easily predicted and budgeted for and you may not get it when you do sell.

The fucking government can either wait till you sell or come up with a more equitable and payable solution.

The measly reductions are always very unhelpful to retired persons. Yeah, you stupid bastards are still taxing people out of their homes while giving tax breaks to large corporations (often foreign) to "bring" in jobs.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

TRansplanted Californians.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mojo_Jojo] [#25]
What has changed in the last 20 years to make taxes go up?   Cost of construction materials has gone up a lot.  But mainly, more people demanding more and more infrastructure.  New people moving in, people wanting more roads, more transit, more fire protection, more police, more schools, more government and more government employees.   And its happening everywhere people want to live.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
In TN, maybe other states too, one can lock in their property tax rate at 65yo for life. Not many folks seem to take advantage of this though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

They give Billing as and example but he most likely does not live in Billings, I would guess Bozeman. Bozeman has had many super rich move into the area and have sent the price of real estate through the roof. Houses that are worth $300,000 here in Billings will cost $1,000,000 + in Bozeman. Yes the biggest pollution problem in Montana is not the Coalstrip power plant, it's rich leftist moving here from Calf. They are destroying a beautiful way of life and a great state.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:27:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#28]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

Our community school (grades 1-8) has 84 students last time I looked.  We don't have a high school, when they move on to high school they have to go to one of the two neighboring towns that each have a small high school.  One has a football program, one has a basketball program; that's usually how they choose where they want to advance to.

In the last decade, they have tried desperately to pass a $24 million bond issue for (get this) --- a freaking sports complex!  Luckily we have so far been successful in stopping the bond, but as west coasters and citiots keep moving in, it's getting closer to passing.  
View Quote

In Livingston MT, we are having an issue with a $30M community center athletic complex.

The big problem is...they don't know where to put it.

The old Civic Center is an a flood plain next to a skate park, high school, band shelter, lagoon, city pool, and all this that sits next to a river...the "A River Runs Through It." river.  On top of all that it's in the natioanl historical register.

The Townies don't want to lose the money and it is an amazing opportunity for the community, as it's being funded by a couple billionaires or something.  Up keep/fees will fall on the community and that's a whole other can of worms.

But, there's nowhere convenient to put it.  

So, get this.  They want to put it about 1.5 miles away, in the north side of town "scrabble" streets.  On a neighborhood park that nobody ever uses, next to the old trash incinerator (which is now the local trash transfer station), so dust, trucks, gravel roads.  In a shit neighborhood, with no amenities, next to the rail yard, sitting on top of a diesel/chemical spill "plume" that is a super fund site.

It's completely fucking stupid and the best answer is to take a portion of that $30M and refurbish and expand the existing civil center, pave the parking lots/streets and rebuild/expand the public pool.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:
I’m not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I’ve never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?
View Quote

NO!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Before I feel any pity for him, I'd just like to know how much he payed in rent/mortgage in his 20s. Average rent nowadays is $1,600 to $1,700 for a basic 1 bedroom apartment. If he only has to pay $800 for a house to live in while younger generations have to pay double that for a 1 bedroom apartment, then I honestly feel nothing for him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By stickfigure:

In Livingston MT, we are having an issue with a $30M community center athletic complex.

The old Civic Center is an a flood plain next to a skate park, high school, band shelter, lagoon, city pool, and all this that sits next to a river...the "A River Runs Through It." river.  On top of all that it's in the natioanl historical register.

The Townies don't want to lose the money and it is an amazing opportunity as it's being funded by a couple billionaires or something.

So, get this.  They want to put it about 1.5 miles away, in the north "scrabble" streets.  On a neighborhood park that nobody ever uses, next to the old trash incinerator (which is now the local trash transfer station), so dust, trucks, gravel roads.  In a shit neighborhood, with no amenities, next to the rail yard, sitting on top of a diesel/chemical spill "plume" that is a super fund site.

It's completely fucking stupid and the best answer is to take a portion of that $30 and refurbish and expand the existing civil center, pave the parking lots/streets and rebuild/expand the public pool.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stickfigure:

The Townies don't want to lose the money and it is an amazing opportunity as it's being funded by a couple billionaires or something.

So, get this.  They want to put it about 1.5 miles away, in the north "scrabble" streets.  On a neighborhood park that nobody ever uses, next to the old trash incinerator (which is now the local trash transfer station), so dust, trucks, gravel roads.  In a shit neighborhood, with no amenities, next to the rail yard, sitting on top of a diesel/chemical spill "plume" that is a super fund site.

It's completely fucking stupid and the best answer is to take a portion of that $30 and refurbish and expand the existing civil center, pave the parking lots/streets and rebuild/expand the public pool.

This isn't even a community sports complex I'm talking about.  The damn grade school wants the $24 million sports complex.  It's a school bond issue, and they've tried it over and over. They don't even have a sports team of any kind, just a damn grade 1- grade 8 small school.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:34:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#32]
In Florida 20+ years ago in Columbia county my dad’s property taxes jumped massively, IIRC something like $300 a year to way over $3000 a year in 10 years. It was higher, I just can’t remember exact figures, for a 2500sq’ brick house on 2 acres.

He sold his house, moved 20 miles into Suwannee county and built a new house of equal value on 5 acres, prop taxes were approx $300 again. Lord knows what they are now.

Ky offers discounts for elderly/ disabled military, defers $40,000 of your home value from taxation.

But yes, property taxes are out of control due to out of control government spending, city, county, state and federal.  Everyone bitches about not getting paid enough, but this is where higher pay goes, especially in government jobs, it goes into your property taxes, and a thousand other taxes, so does social programs, new buildings, nicer streets, bigger parks, stadiums and a million other gotta have bullshit, that’s nice, but not necessary, and very expensive.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankDrebin] [#33]
Originally Posted By VersaceDesertEagle:
Before I feel any pity for him, I'd just like to know how much he payed in rent/mortgage in his 20s. Average rent nowadays is $1,600 to $1,700 for a basic 1 bedroom apartment. If he only has to pay $800 for a house to live in while younger generations have to pay double that for a 1 bedroom apartment, then I honestly feel nothing for him.
View Quote

Tell us you are millenial without telling us your are millenial.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SystemFailCoreDump:
Cali is broke. It's just a matter of time before the corrupt state gov goes after prop 13.
View Quote
Yep, they are going after Prop 13 as your read this, this being done by the Dem piecemeal, ie a little bit at a time. At some point in the next 20 years or so, the Dems would completely repealed it.

Got to keep in mind, you have to ask these folk who are screaming "bloody murder" who did they vote for in the last few elections. Most people like the gunners, are not interested in politics, until it is too late to do anything about it. For years and year, I have been screaming the anti-gun politicos, and the response from the gunners was, "I am not interested in politics." The political system in the US is kind of like boiling a frog, ie it starts low but once the ball get rolling there is no way to stop it. The voters got the government they voted for, so today, "it is no skin off my nose," and of course it is too late to get rid of people like Newsom, Bonta etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
In TN, maybe other states too, one can lock in their property tax rate at 65yo for life. Not many folks seem to take advantage of this though.
View Quote

Absolutely!

Many state/county tax breaks must be applied for. Never assume you're getting any tax break automatically "because you turned 65". There are other breaks that need to be used.

Call, or better yet visit in person and inquire.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:

He already did by communicating sound logic and reasoning in an electronic format with an understanding of the fundamental economic shift occurring in this nation
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Oh, you mean when people were lucky to make in a day what minimum wage is for an hour now?  When there were like 20 tax brackets that ended at 91%?   Those good old days?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

At a guess, his property value went up 800%.  

It happens.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#39]

This isn't even a community sports complex I'm talking about.  The damn grade school wants the $24 million sports complex.  It's a school bond issue, and they've tried it over and over. They don't even have a sports team of any kind, just a damn grade 1- grade 8 small school.

View Quote

Whoa!

We had a meeting about this a few months ago.

The drive for all these "amenities" is just an excuse to create more ties/tentacles/tangents of revenue and taxes, that then become dependency.

Our city is pre-emptively wanting to expand the "donut" based on future population growth.  In order to provide city services to people who already have wells and septic systems, and they have to pay for services even if they don't use/need them.

They have already stuck people with bills for building services up to their house, even if they didn't need it.  

"Here's your $20K bill for sewers, and water utilities access, you don't need, and didn't ask for.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By colklink:

Last Tuesday we had our primary, and ther were 2 bond issues. One to continue a property tax for fire, one for EMS. I voted against both, but both won by a 4 to 1 margin. WTF?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
As someone who fought the local school bond tax hike..I feel this man’s issues.

Last Tuesday we had our primary, and ther were 2 bond issues. One to continue a property tax for fire, one for EMS. I voted against both, but both won by a 4 to 1 margin. WTF?

Fuck yeah, keep that 20+ year old engine  put together with duct tape and bubble gum.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#41]
We have land and cabin there and have watched the taxes skyrocket after covid. It’s because all the mega rich are buying up land and paying 50X the price you could have got in 2019. A 80 acre lot by us was selling for 320k, on river, and has sold twice now and recent sell was 2.5 million. The home values have gone insane.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I’d be in favor of municipalities doing “reverse mortgage for tax credit” at retirement age.  

Live property tax free.  When you die, city gets your house.  If the heirs want it they buy it from the city at market value.  If parents want heirs to get the property, work a reverse mortgage for taxes with the heirs. Seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:51:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#43]
When I built my house on Amelia Island, my monthly mortgage (8.25% @ the time IIRC) + HO insurance was ~$800/month.

I paid my house off 13 years ago but now pay almost $600 for property tax, insurance (HO and flood.)  It's not a financial burden just an emotional one (ie pisses me off.)
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mauser556:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

This. Very few politicians really want to lower taxes. They like spending other people’s money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:53:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#45]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Is this another case of Montana just sat on low rates forever or no?

I'm in SW Ohio and I pay $11k for 0.4 acres.

View Quote

Damn.  I'm also in SW Ohio, and mine are now $5700 for 5 acres.

I also pay a 1% local school income tax.  I'm retired, and my kids are in their 40's.  

ETA:  My property tax jumped by about $1000 this year.  There were two levies on the last ballot - one for the FD, and one for the schools.  Much to my surprise and joy, both went down in flames.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

The moment you buy something.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

You midwesterners really get screwed on property taxes.  What on earth does OH do with all that money?
View Quote

Take a look at teacher salaries in Medina OH for a good indication of at least some of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I pay close to 5K right now.....school just increased it's budget by 13%, so in Jan another big increase. At one point , it was up to 6K
They tripled our evaluation.........law requires them to redo valuation every 5 or 7 years...cant remember which.

At any rate schools are the biggest [70-80%] of my tax bill.

The land fill is closing in a couple years and we will have another big increase.

I hoped to retire next June, but will probably have to work just to pay taxes.

Taxation is not only theft,  it is down right immoral !!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
As someone who fought the local school bond tax hike..I feel this man's issues.

Ironically, the old people complaining are also the ones voting for this stuff.

You think working parents have time to remember when the random local elections are held?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Property taxes are becoming unattainable for many.

One of the many reasons why we're leaving.
View Quote

And going where? Serious question.
Page / 7
Top Top