KUSA out of business? (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nictra:
c'mon cheap KR9's in the EE!

I've waffled for too long on one of these I think. I'd rather have the KR9 over the PSA offering, but I guess I'd do either at this point.
View Quote

Now's your chance, Atlantic just dropped an e-mail with KP-9's, KR-9's and 103's. Better grab while the grabbin's good!

@nictra
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Now's your chance, Atlantic just dropped an e-mail with KP-9's, KR-9's and 103's. Better grab while the grabbin's good!

@nictra
View Quote

I saw that. Much KUS goodies in that ad. Might jump on one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
AKQE is reporting that KUSA has been sold. The new owners are bringing back a core group of employees and have filed a stay with the bankruptcy court.

If all that's true the new owners really need to focus on getting the 101/102 to market. KP9s and 103s can wait.
View Quote

Hopefully that “core group” will not contain any of the marketing or executive wings. The computer nerds that know the files and machines…ok..
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
You'd have to make peace with the potential OOB issue, and possibly the general consensus in Russia that the Vityaz is not a 20,000+ round count gun. There's something about the service ammo they use and the blowback design that according to them doesn't lend itself well to longevity. That said I haven't seen a way to confirm if what they have said is true, or particular to how the Russians use it vs what we might do over here, but meanwhile I shoot the piss out of mine. I did get the OOB fix done by KUSA but that was only recently and accounts for about 1% of the rounds I've fired through it before it became an official issue

I will say the big selling point for me is the really impressive accuracty of the KR9. Mine shoots 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and holds tighter groups than a lot of my 5.45 rifles. It's a ridiculously fun PCC with subs and a suppressor too, and since my favorite thing is night vision hunting I've figured out ways to get mine tweaked just the way I like it, and consequently have taken it out hunting many a night with great success on varmints

The risk with the KR9 is who will support it now if you have a problem, but I've made peace with that and would use a competent gunsmith friend to keep it running even if cost me my own money. I think it's that great of a rifle, but not everyone is willing to do that of course. If one of these other companies step in and takes over that potential issue would be solved, so there's still a chance the warranty could be a non issue. Maybe

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scottrh2:
So, with  all this, WOULD a nice clean KR9 at a good price still be a good buy?  My KR-103 has been perfect, sights centered and shows little wear indicating a well put together rifle; assume a PCC in same shape would have similar traits..
You'd have to make peace with the potential OOB issue, and possibly the general consensus in Russia that the Vityaz is not a 20,000+ round count gun. There's something about the service ammo they use and the blowback design that according to them doesn't lend itself well to longevity. That said I haven't seen a way to confirm if what they have said is true, or particular to how the Russians use it vs what we might do over here, but meanwhile I shoot the piss out of mine. I did get the OOB fix done by KUSA but that was only recently and accounts for about 1% of the rounds I've fired through it before it became an official issue

I will say the big selling point for me is the really impressive accuracty of the KR9. Mine shoots 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and holds tighter groups than a lot of my 5.45 rifles. It's a ridiculously fun PCC with subs and a suppressor too, and since my favorite thing is night vision hunting I've figured out ways to get mine tweaked just the way I like it, and consequently have taken it out hunting many a night with great success on varmints

The risk with the KR9 is who will support it now if you have a problem, but I've made peace with that and would use a competent gunsmith friend to keep it running even if cost me my own money. I think it's that great of a rifle, but not everyone is willing to do that of course. If one of these other companies step in and takes over that potential issue would be solved, so there's still a chance the warranty could be a non issue. Maybe

Russian military 9x19 is typically a good bit hotter than NATO spec stuff and while I've never weighed it, the Vityaz bolt looks like it'd be in the lighter side compared to other 9mm blowback guns that are designed for NATO ammo. So wouldn't be surprising if it turns out the gun tends to beat itself to death. Maybe the Russians figured that at the end of the day, it's an AK, AKs are disposable. When it breaks you get another one. If they can make alot of anything, it's AKs. And they don't exactly use SMGs that much anymore so a 20k service life might be good enough. How much do they really expect to shoot the thing?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

The Russian 7N20, 7N30, and 7N31 is apparently quite a bit hotter than US commercial or "NATO" spec ammo ....although I doubt anyone will ever have the opportunity to actually pressure test, or chrono it here in the US.

All of the Vityaz receiver failure info I've been able to find is that they develop cracks directly above the cutout for the auto sear in the rail .....most likely due to a slight amount of cant when the bolt recoils. Shouldn't be an issue with the US made guns.

I hope it isn't a 20K round gun .....I've probably got near 1/3rd of that thru mine .....with the original  (non upgraded) firing pin
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
Fresh shipment of the Elusive KP9 Stocks getting checked in ......

https://admin.atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/hosting/stocks-1.jpg
View Quote

Dang already sold out! Any chance you will get more anytime soon?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm watching this debacle with interest and hope they can pull it together.  

I'm sitting here looking at my KP9.  The top cover pic rail is out of spec and you can't mount anything to it, then I quit shooting it when I found out about the OOB issue.  

I really hope I haven't missed the bus regarding this gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mlaug:
I'm watching this debacle with interest and hope they can pull it together.  

I'm sitting here looking at my KP9.  The top cover pic rail is out of spec and you can't mount anything to it, then I quit shooting it when I found out about the OOB issue.  

I really hope I haven't missed the bus regarding this gun.
View Quote
What's out of spec with the top cover? That would really suck, but maybe we can figure something out

On the OOB issue you can do some research on the AK Files and see what was fixed, then find a competent gunsmith to remediate it. Obviously since KUSA has gone under it won't be warrantied, but at least it could still be fixed

I'm sure Mario at Piece of History would know what to do, FWIW. I talked to him a number of times about the OOB issue, plus he knows a considerable amount about the Vityaz
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Apparently, there was a run of out of spec top covers.  One side of the pic rail isn't cut to hold a mount and some of the cuts on top of the rail are too wide to hold any mounts.  KUSA would send out a replacement rail and roll pin to swap out the out of spec rail.  I didn't know about that until it became doubtful that any replacement parts were leaving the factory.

I'm not an avid forum follower on any of the AK related forums and didn't find out about the OOB issue until it was too late to risk sending my bolt to them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:55:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottrh2] [#14]
Are KP9 magazines in demand now?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mlaug:
Apparently, there was a run of out of spec top covers.  One side of the pic rail isn't cut to hold a mount and some of the cuts on top of the rail are too wide to hold any mounts.  KUSA would send out a replacement rail and roll pin to swap out the out of spec rail.  I didn't know about that until it became doubtful that any replacement parts were leaving the factory.

I'm not an avid forum follower on any of the AK related forums and didn't find out about the OOB issue until it was too late to risk sending my bolt to them.
View Quote
Well damn, sorry to hear that also. I hadn't heard of the top cover issues, and hadn't had any with mine

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
KUSA out of business? (Page 4 of 4)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top