Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because the M-14 is not that great. unless you have a good armorer worth his salt. Too big, Bulky, finicky and old. Now I know someone is going to pull the ole' camp perry accuracy bit out of their butt-big difference there: match gun. Field issue then were not very promising, still aren't. Went to the range one day in Kuwait when my brigade just got the new, re-issued M-14s. Not very impressive even w/M118. No parts in the system left either. It had it's time and place and if you've got a good armorer then you might be golden.

Ok now that I figured out how to post a quote, I can ask a question!  
KMFDM,  Troy Industries does a SOPMOD M14 conversion carbine with an all new re-designed gas system, magnesium stock with titanium telescoping rails and new barrel.   Besides the weight of the ammo and mags, if that was available at the time you were in Kuwait, would you have been happy with that?
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IT IS GOING TO BE A HIT WHEN MAGS AND AMMO BECOME READILY AVAILABLE.

I agree, provided reasonably priced uppers and rifles are also available. We are 6 moths post SHOT and still no mags or ammo.  Maybe by SHOT 2005 the 6.8SPC will actually be available?
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Milspec:

I have seen the pics. for the SOPMOD M14 and read some of the test data and talked to some of the guys who had shot it and were reviewing it. (Mind you on the following I have not handled or shot one of these) It has been awhile since then I have not even thought of it about a year or so. If memory serves correctly there were two SOPMOD M14 contenders, the only one that I had heard that was even worth looking at was the one I think that is not listed (but don't take it as gospel). I remember training with the old M-21 and, G.I. Match M-14s and building a few also. The SOPMOD-I don't know for sure if I'd want one the barrel is short which would make me question any real distance work and it is still quite heavy plus the carrying all those magazines issue. My major issues with it would be until I fired it would be muzzle flash, recoil, accurate shot to shot times and abilities to mount various types of optics w/out having to crane the hell out of my neck to use like the M-21.
I'd much rather have a 6.8mm carbine for the most part with another accurized upper for long distance work. It has excellent ballistics very good test performance in gelatin and on animals shot thus far. It's external ballistics are quite good from the guys I have talked to and from my own shooting out to 300 yds it is quite a solid performer.
But as a sidenote if you want to give me one to use I'll gladly use it and tell you if I like it- I like my SPR and if it shoots as good as it does well then that'd be quite nice. I still have a few months left on my tour here to play

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top