Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Those are "lightweight"?  Look heavier than something like a Bushmaster Superlight.  Are the pencil thin under the freefloat tube or something?

They are lightweight as far as a stainless barrel is concerend.  You can't go pencil thin with a stainless barrel.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Very nice! Mr. Zak-Smith, how would you compare your Krieger barreled rifle with the LMT MRP rifle? I'm seriously torn between an MRP with stainless barrel, or doing a build with a Krieger. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks, Mark

The 18" MRP barrels are much heavier.
The 16" MRP barrels still have a beafier profile than this barrel.
The MRP is probably the stiffest and lightest of the comparable railed fore-ends, and you can switch barrels.  If you need those two things, it wins.  Otherwise if you don't need to change barrels or mount a lot of stuff on rigid rails, you can do without.

AR15fan,

Those are "lightweight"? Look heavier than something like a Bushmaster Superlight. Are the pencil thin under the freefloat tube or something?

I think I answered this already. 0.700" behind, 0.740" beyond. They aren't "ultralight", not "superlight", just "lightweight", as described:

This barrel type and profile was chosen to be as light as possible but still retain stability and zero for long strings of aimed fired, such as experienced at the ITRC earlier this year. It ought to be soft-shooting, not lose too much velocity vs. a 18" or 20",
and light and handy enough for easy carry.

knightone gets it.  We wanted sustained accuracy but light weight.  This was the compromise.

-z
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Last question, promise! Which do you think has the better potential accuracy? The Krieger, or the MRP? Thanks again, Mark
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last question, promise! Which do you think has the better potential accuracy? The Krieger, or the MRP? Thanks again, Mark

The only way to get a valid answer to that question would be to get, say, 5 of each type, shoot for groups from the bench, and then compare.  

I believe MSTN guarantees 1 MOA on the "for accuracy" uppers they build (I could be mistaken).  I don't think this is the case for the MRP.

-z
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]

The only way to get a valid answer to that question would be to get, say, 5 of each type, shoot for groups from the bench, and then compare.  

-z                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon!
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon!

If you want to front the $15,000 for 10 such uppers and suitable optics, I think I can spare an afternoon.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll try to help out with the weight questions.  The uppers that Zak and his buddy got weigh 4 lb, 4 oz. without optics. You can add 2 lb., 3 oz. for a complete lower with LMT/Crane stock and 14 oz. for a TA11. That comes to 7 lb., 5 oz. for a complete rifle, sans magazine. Other stocks, optics, etc. will change this but I have one set up exactly as above and it weighs 7#-5 exactly

Thanks!  Like I said, the best I can do is use the bathroom scale.

-z
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Zak,

A few thoughts/questions from a service/cross the cross guy that now likes pistols, lighter rifles and gadgets more than a hot coat and pulling targets.

Ive also been on the quest for the 'ideal' 3 gun AR set-up.  In the quest for light and accurate, I've been trying to come up with a contour that doesnt involve a lot of diameter changes, yet is stiff and light.  Im debating a few different contours vs. aggressive fluting.  As to length, Im stuck with 18in with a rifle length gas system vs. 16 in with a midlength gas system.  Im not sure on the 17in, so I'll be waiting your results on reliabilty over time.  I couldnt agree more with your twist rate or barrel manufacturer (same thing I have on my 'space gun').

Have you considered fluting as a way to save weight?

Ive been considering .75 as a diameter for the whole barrel with aggressive fluting (10 deep flutes) except where the gas block goes.

Im not sure your stainless block, metal expansion rate idea holds much practical logic.  At least I see/have seen many master shooters (myself included) using the aluminium gas block Krieger supplies with their barrels.  While it may in theory offer some advantage, my space gun and several others Ive shot will hold under 0.5 moa out to 600 and few out to 1000 using an AL block.

Why did you go with  the lighter bolt carrier?

It would seem to me that a heavier carrier would offer a slower cycle and unlocking which will allow a handloader to push bullets faster before the pressure becomes excessive.  I know with my 80 and 90 grain loads I was able to increase velocity using a tunsten weighted carrier with out getting flattened primers I saw with a standard chromed NM carrier.

Since wind drift is effected by velocity, I would think you'd want as much as you could safely get.

Please dont interpret as any of this as a critism - Im really curious and keep stumbling over my hangups from years shooting service rifle as I try to build a lightweight match rifle (hurts just typing it).

Thanks,

Jim
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ive also been on the quest for the 'ideal' 3 gun AR set-up.  In the quest for light and accurate, I've been trying to come up with a contour that doesnt involve a lot of diameter changes, yet is stiff and light.  Im debating a few different contours vs. aggressive fluting.  As to length, Im stuck with 18in with a rifle length gas system vs. 16 in with a midlength gas system.  Im not sure on the 17in, so I'll be waiting your results on reliabilty over time.  I couldnt agree more with your twist rate or barrel manufacturer (same thing I have on my 'space gun').

First recognize that it's the shooter, not the gun.  I'm sure you know this, but too many people get hung up on equipment when they should get out and shoot more.  I've seen a more or less stock 20" A2 upper win rifle stages because the guy driving it knew what he was doing.

For conventional 3Gun, the most difficult target you'll typically get is a 10" plate at 350 yards.  A 1.5 - 2 MOA rifle is "good enough".   Typical 3Gun stages are no more than maybe 50 rifle shots in a minute, which will heat up a barrel, but not really abuse it.  Another thing to take into account for 3Gun is that after running around the stage, you'll be breathing hard and your heart will be pounding and some extra mass in the upper will help your accuracy by damping your body's involuntary motion.

I think going with a rifle length gas system is worthwhile for 3Gun.  It smooths out the recoil impulse.

With regard to fluting vs. turning, with the 50round/60 second rule of thumb and the loose accuracy requirements of 3Gun, it's probably splitting hairs for the additional stiffness you'll get at the same weight.

Im not sure your stainless block, metal expansion rate idea holds much practical logic.  At least I see/have seen many master shooters (myself included) using the aluminium gas block Krieger supplies with their barrels.  While it may in theory offer some advantage, my space gun and several others Ive shot will hold under 0.5 moa out to 600 and few out to 1000 using an AL block.

You miss the point.  I want to match expansion ratios and have the rear set screw engage a divot in the barrel to ensure gas system operation and prevent gas block movement under extreme heat.  See my ITRC 2004 report for more details about what problems aluminum gas blocks can cause when heated severely (think 550 rounds in 20 minutes). www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16277
This is not an issue in conventional 3Gun.

Why did you go with  the lighter bolt carrier?

See my response to Stainless on page 2 of this thread.

Hope this helps.  

-z
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:Ive also been on the quest for the 'ideal' 3 gun AR set-up.  In the quest for light and accurate, I've been trying to come up with a contour that doesnt involve a lot of diameter changes, yet is stiff and light.  Im debating a few different contours vs. aggressive fluting.  As to length, Im stuck with 18in with a rifle length gas system vs. 16 in with a midlength gas system.  Im not sure on the 17in, so I'll be waiting your results on reliabilty over time.  I couldnt agree more with your twist rate or barrel manufacturer (same thing I have on my 'space gun').

First recognize that it's the shooter, not the gun.  
-z

I'm remember a master class shooter here in Texas ('93 Texas 3Gun & beyond), that cleaned everyones clocks (including myself). He was shooting an SR25 (new at the time) versus our "mouse" guns. It is as Zak says: it's the shooter, not the gun".  It was not only the difference between major and minor, but his time was faster. People get too hung on equipment, its you the shooter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't another reason behind developing the light carriers that competitive shooters were using lighter loads? Theory as previous: less recoil, faster target aquisition?
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wasn't another reason behind developing the light carriers that competitive shooters were using lighter loads? Theory as previous: less recoil, faster target aquisition?

I'm not sure.  Rifle "Minor" used to be 160PF, which is equivalent to a 55gr at 2909fps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:Wasn't another reason behind developing the light carriers that competitive shooters were using lighter loads? Theory as previous: less recoil, faster target aquisition?

I'm not sure.  Rifle "Minor" used to be 160PF, which is equivalent to a 55gr at 2909fps.

Still a moving .224 (it used to be 165 IRRC), the shooter is still 90%+ of the equation.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Still a moving .224 (it used to be 165 IRRC), the shooter is still 90%+ of the equation.

I don't know; they keep changing it.   Pistol Major used to be 175, now it's 165.  Rifle Major is now 320, used to be 340.

-z
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geez Zak, what the snot do you DO for a living?

I'm not married.

Yeah, but I bet you don't get laid all the time ! No, wait... oh, never mind.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Paul/Wes,

Approximately how long could someone expect a barrel similar to the one Zak is using to last under normal 3gun type shooting conditions (with maybe once a year etreme shooting like at the IRTC)?
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, but I bet you don't get laid all the time ! No, wait... oh, never mind.

This thread is starting to remind me of some colorful commentary at one of our local matches...

Link Posted: 11/9/2004 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]

He won all the 3-Gun matches he shot

As its been said, the shooter is what makes the match.  Truthfully, I'm just wondering why 17 inch when we have the 16 inch tubes pretty well figured out and the 18 inchers have been pretty well run thru the mill as well - Why?  Of course with a build that shoots under 0.5 MOA who cares.

I realize the pressure issues with carbine length systems and the extraction issues of the 16 inch tubes, but we seem to have remedied this.  The recoil impulse of a 223 is another one of those issues that seems to be another 'so what' issue combined with 'keeping up with the jone's.'  I will admit that a rifle length gas system should be easier on the rifle and have less recoil; however, a good comp will probably do more for muzzle rise especially when one gets in the 7-8+ rifle weight category.

I still dont get it on the lightened carrier.  It's less reliable unless mags, springs, loads are tailored to it.  It will not tolerate higher pressures as well - meaning a load that would be close to max with a stock or heavier bolt will be dangerous when fired over a lighter carrier.  Since the bolt/carrier unit is lighter, it will move sooner which may have an impact on accuracy.  Side bar - Mark Westrom has a high speed camera that he uses to diagnose  problems with cycling - wonder if we could get him to shoot some film of both carriers in action.

You want accuracy (hence using a Krieger barrel, FF tube. Incidentially using a Krieger barrel for a rifle that only needs to shoot 1.5- 2.0 moa is over kill unless youre like me and like as much margin for error [shooter] that you can get. and speed, ie. rapid smooth cycling with minimal muzzle rise.  I think tuning buffers and springs combined with a good comp would serve better if much long range shooting were done.  I recall a recent post where you shoot plates out to 500 yards or so with some decent wind.  In these type of shots velocity is a major player to minimize drift. A heavier bolt/carrier is going to allow you to shoot a faster/hotter load that would be pushing it with a light weight carrier.  At 300 yards or less, the wind isnt that big of deal with good bullets and the generous targets mentioned.

For a hosing stage (5-50 yards), I can see that a lighter carrier might make some impact, but Im not convinced (so convince me) that a decent comp wouldnt lower your splits to the same degree.  

Having been seperated from 1st and second place in major matches by less than a second, I have to say it wasnt because of split times - it has always been a case of my errors were cumulatively greater than those that beat me, rather than equipment failures/weakness.

If I get a chance in the next week or 2 I'll burn 3-400 rounds thru my superlight with an AL block an see if I can get it to move -my guess is it wont, since it fits so tight with out the screws even locked down.  Again the gas block probs may have been fit issues or loc-tite failures due to the hi temps.

Nice rifle by the way - forgot that in my first post.
Link Posted: 11/9/2004 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As its been said, the shooter is what makes the match.  Truthfully, I'm just wondering why 17 inch when we have the 16 inch tubes pretty well figured out and the 18 inchers have been pretty well run thru the mill as well - Why?  Of course with a build that shoots under 0.5 MOA who cares.

I can answer for me-- 17" allowed use of the rifle gas system (instead of a mid on the 16").  I've already got a 20", so I wanted something significantly shorter.

I will admit that a rifle length gas system should be easier on the rifle and have less recoil; however, a good comp will probably do more for muzzle rise especially when one gets in the 7-8+ rifle weight category.

The discussion about carrier mass touched on the different forces which occur during firing and action cycling.  Yes, comps work and that's why we use them.  But there's also all that mass accelerating in the action.

I still dont get it on the lightened carrier.  It's less reliable unless mags, springs, loads are tailored to it.  It will not tolerate higher pressures as well - meaning a load that would be close to max with a stock or heavier bolt will be dangerous when fired over a lighter carrier.  Since the bolt/carrier unit is lighter, it will move sooner which may have an impact on accuracy.  Side bar - Mark Westrom has a high speed camera that he uses to diagnose  problems with cycling - wonder if we could get him to shoot some film of both carriers in action.

The range of available carrier weights goes from the lightest JP aluminum carrier all the way to a NM or M16 carrier (with heavy buffer).  The MSTN carrier and the JP SS carriers are similar in weight, and just lighter than a regular AR15 carrier.   The JP SS carrier has proven to me to be as reliable as a regular AR15 carrier.  As I said, I ran the SS carrier throughout the ITRC this year with no problems.  As carrier (and buffer) mass is reduced, more requirements are put on the magazine and the cleanlieness of the system.    From the data gathered so far, a carrier of comparable mass to the JP SS does not reduce this window significantly.  Going further down in weight, the additional requirements of the JP LW (aluminum) carrier are significant.  

With regard to max loads.. if we can shoot XM193 all day with the lightest of the carrier systems (JP LW) with no pressure problems, what's the issue?    And if we can shoot quarter-MOA with that same carrier, I think the accuracy point is moot.

You want accuracy (hence using a Krieger barrel, FF tube. Incidentially using a Krieger barrel for a rifle that only needs to shoot 1.5- 2.0 moa is over kill unless youre like me and like as much margin for error [shooter] that you can get. and speed, ie. rapid smooth cycling with minimal muzzle rise.

I spec'd this upper to go beyond the call of a conventional 3Gun match.  

For a hosing stage (5-50 yards), I can see that a lighter carrier might make some impact, but Im not convinced (so convince me) that a decent comp wouldnt lower your splits to the same degree.  

The LW carrier can also make a difference on long-range targets whenever you need to engage them twice, or they are close enough that a transition is trivial.  I've done the comparison side by side with JP BC comps on both.

Like I said before, meet me at the Weld Co range in N. CO and you can try each side by side.  Otherwise you can buy the aluminum carrier from JP for about $170 and try it yourself.

If I get a chance in the next week or 2 I'll burn 3-400 rounds thru my superlight with an AL block an see if I can get it to move -my guess is it wont, since it fits so tight with out the screws even locked down.  Again the gas block probs may have been fit issues or loc-tite failures due to the hi temps.

At least two JP uppers had the same problem at the ITRC shooting 500-600 rounds in 15-25 minutes.  You can disbelieve it if you want, but that's evidence enough to me that an otherwise solid system can go south when heated up.     Why take that chance when I get use a steel gas block (smaller & lighter anyway)?  FWIW, my JP upper kept running through that stage because I doused it with water from my camelback three or four times in those 20 minutes.

-z
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for weighing in, Paul.  I'd never heard about the SEAL experiments before.

Quoted:
Now barrel life can be shortened dramatically by a trip to the IRTC.  Watching a SS barrel turn from grey to purple to tan is a life-changing experience. The finish will never recover. Sometimes the bore does, soemtimes it doesn't.

[ link to LARGER image ]
[ link to LARGER image ]

The second picture was my CTR-02 barrel after the burner stage.  

We also hone our gas blocks until they are just short of sliding on. Then we heat them up. They slide onto a cold barrel easily when hot, but don't wiggle at all when cooled back down. That is with 250-300 deg. applied.  Aluminum heats and expands much faster than any steel. That is why they come loose when barrels get really hot.

I did notice that absolutely NO gas is leaking at the gas block/barrel interface on this upper, like it does on virtually all of my other AR's (the MRP especially).

-z
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
bsbg,

I am sure you have a good reason, so I'll ask - why 17"?

17" is the shortest for reliable operation of a rifle length gas system.

Yep.  I have a less pretty, but similar set-up based around a custom 17"-ish (I think it's 17.4") WOA "SPR" barrel.  I wanted the a rifle-length gas system & fixed FSB with sthe shortest reliable barrel.  John at WOA built mine with one of their uppers, barrel, bolt/carrier/CH, and my rifle-length Briley carbon fiber FF tube (w/ SS sling/bipod stud installed afterwards).  I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yep.  I have a less pretty, but similar set-up based around a custom 17"-ish (I think it's 17.4") WOA "SPR" barrel.  I wanted the a rifle-length gas system & fixed FSB with sthe shortest reliable barrel.  John at WOA built mine with one of their uppers, barrel, bolt/carrier/CH, and my rifle-length Briley carbon fiber FF tube (w/ SS sling/bipod stud installed afterwards).  I'm very happy with it.

The thought has crossed my mind to get one built identically but with a fixed FSB...  

With simply the Troy BUIS and no optic mounted, the upper is very light.

-z
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok Zak and Paul I think I have this figured out.

The lighter carrier was choosen to speed cycling.

If so, I see your logic as it relates to speed of carrier travel but why would recoil and possibly sight movement be worse?  If kinetic energy = 1/2 mass X velocity squared, then a lighter carrier yielding more velocity would increase kinetic energy as it impacts the carrier.  Also, I cant get over about 400 RPM when I use a pact timer and a complete disregard for accuracy with a handgun (I havent measured with a rifle) and assume the same is probably true with a rifle.  Since the standard m-16 carrier is capable of a substantially faster cyclic rate, Im not sure that I would see a benefit from a faster moving carrier.  

I understand that since youre not planning on shooting more than 300yards often the benefit of being able to push your loads to max velocities probably isnt something you need.  However, if you do much shooting past 300 yards with significant wind, I think you'll be at a disadvantage as distance increases.

if we can shoot quarter-MOA with that same carrier, I think the accuracy point is moot.

At 100 yards of the bench or prone - nice but how does the load (XM193) perform at 300+ yards?  In the wind?  I have seen more than one rifle shoot a 1 moa group at 100 yards and continue that same group size out to 400 yards - ie its .25 moa with that load at 400.  But this is not a bullet discussion.  Certainly a .25 moa group is awesome (and the bench rest guys said it could be done with a gas gun!), but Id really flesh out my load selection for longer ranges.  This is obviously a suberb set-up/build.

With regard to max loads.. if we can shoot XM193 all day with the lightest of the carrier systems (JP LW) with no pressure problems, what's the issue?

Have you done any testing with 70+ grain  bullets and compared muzzle velocities and different carrier weights  to see when/if signs of excessive pressure begin?  Or if there is a difference when using lighter carriers?  I have seen that stock carriers show pressure signs sooner (as one increases powder charge and velocity) than seen with M-16 carriers and weighted carriers.

Again probably a 'non-issue' if youre not shooting long range.

The gas block... Since all the uppers (2) were JP uppers, is it possible that this is JP specific problem?  Paul, have you guys seen probs with the AL blocks loosening up?  The arguement that SS will expand at a slower and barrel consitant rate is valid - but perhaps only necessary in cases of extreme abuse - Yes, 500 rounds thru a Kreiger barrel in 20 min is abuse!  But it sure sounds like fun!  If the steel block is lighter then thats reason enough for me.  Your logic makes sense, Im just not sure you have enough data to make the conclusion that its an AL gas block thing - Of course, once you watch someones equipment go tits up it doesnt inspire confidence in using the same set-up.

meet me at the Weld Co range in N. CO and you can try each side by side

I was in Denver last weekend - seeing my Dad before he had surgery - wish I'd found this thread before.  I would have taken you up.  As it was the TSA fuckers gave me enough grief about the 2 AR's I brought when I left CO Sunday - idiots.  I did pick up a lower at the gunshow for a reasonable price though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 for discourse.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#28]
tagged
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Paul/Wes,

Did you have to alter the gas port in anyway to make it reliable with the 17" barrel?
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Great thread. Thanks Zac and Paul for the info. You corrected some thinking errors I had. I would have thought aluminum was better due to it's ability to transfer heat with more efficiency than steel.  It's now clear that rate of expansion is more critical.  Good info. Mark
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
C_C,

We use different gas port sizes for a lot of our custom barrels.  Especially the comp stuff where we are using adjustable gas blocks to tune the gas system.  Email me off line if you want to discuss further. I don't want anyone to start ripping case heads off by opening up a port too large. (Funny how simple concepts turn into disaster on the internet!).  

The short answer, ports for 17" and 18" barrels are the same, sometimes. There is little margin for error on the 17's though. One reason we shoot every one.  I had one the other day that functioned 100%, until I put it in the freezer for 2 hours and shot it cold. Function dropped to 90%. With cold ammo, dropped to 60%. This particular customer  needs his rifle to function 100% in some pretty severe conditions.  After some minor tweaking, it does.  He even got special lube and instructions on how to keep it 100%.  We aim to please.

Email sent!
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#34]
4gma,

I'm out shooting a 3Gun match in TX this weekend, so this has to be short right now.

I think you're over-analyzing the energy vs, momentum issue.  Unlike Paul, I don't mind running "full" gas and getting bounce off the end of the receiver extension.  I just want that LW carrier to run as fast as possible.  The gun is both done cycling sooner, and the (lesser) mass coming to a stop twice in the gun has less effect on its sight picture.

The quarter MOA group was at 220 yards, shooting BH75gr.   My point about XM193 was that it's hot and runs fine.

-z

ETA: sorry, I forgot to log out this computer.  This is Zak, not Alan.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Zak - Im sure Im over-analyzing the LW carrier.  Ive been shooting too long and heard SOOO much BS about magic solutions, metal that defies the laws of physics, guns that have magical properties, etc....

Im sure both you and Paul have heard the same BS over the years as well.  As someone that started shooting small bore at 6 - Im now 36, Ive heard over and over - "you need XXXX to win/be competative/etc."  I have found that often it the case of a shooter that's played the game - pick your shooting discipline - for a while and has money, average skills, but lacks the dedication to practice or get some good instruction.  They try to buy their way into the X ring.  It doesnt work!  The other thing I see is well shooter X won and he's using setup/gun X.  Hey it works for him, but it doesnt mean it will work for you.  Yet you see people go out and spend  lots of $$ to be like shooter X.  STUPID!  Unless they KNOW it will work for them.  Ive beat alot of shooters that had 4-10X as much $ in gear/guns.  THere's nothing like winning a regional 1000yard match using a piece of carpet for a shooting mat (college was fun!) and using a factory stock NM M1A or smoking  all those IPSC blasters with their pretty color co-ordinated outfits, robocop holsters and 2.5k+ STI's while shooting a glock 34 with replacement sights and an A-grip or a stock kimber 1911.

Paul has probably watched Ross (at MS) smoke a few 'badasses' with that tired and dirty 226.

As a result I really like to flesh out any new theories/products/techniques before I accept them as gospel.  Sometimes its the truth, but often its a matter of someones opinion (based on ZERO scientific thought) or someones desire to make a buck.

Remember the magic of moly coating?  Originally, it was touted as doing all kinds of magical physics defying things to bullets.  When someone actually tested its effects, using scientific methods, it was found to be bound by the same laws of physics as everything else.  A few previously un-mentioned issues also came to light.

I still think the LW carrier is a not  fab idea.  Based on my understanding;  A lighter carrier if tuned for a rifle, using a specific load will have less sight displacement if it doesnt recoil far enough to slam into the back of the buffer tube.  Or it may touch the tube just not as fast/hard during recoil.  I can see how that could be helpful with follow-up shots.  A heavier carrier is not needed since your not shooting max loads required at long distances.  Ok with that as well.

BUT...

Murphy loves to visit matches.  Guns that worked great in practice have a mysterious property that causes them to crap out during competition (read: Murphy is an opportunistic prick.)  Im not sure its a good idea to have a rifle (or a pistol) that is running at such a close margin for performance.  It sounds like Paul, really runs his uppers thru the ringer to make sure they work in a wide variety of conditions.  Having access to tools and extra/different parts he can much more easily swap out and adjust an upper than the home builder.  I would hazard a guess, based on my 30 years of shooting experience, that similar set ups build by Joe gunplumber will not be so reliable.  Furthermore depending on how prevalent the , "Hey watch this." and "I dont need to read the reloading manual." genes are in said shooter the more problems are going to crop up.

The quarter MOA group was at 220 yards, shooting BH75gr.

Paul needs to get into the service and match rifle building gig!

Shoot well at the match!

IM or email me if youre close to NE TX or will be passing thru SE OK I'd love to meet you in the flesh.  Im on call but getting a breather for now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
that's played the game - pick your shooting discipline - for a while and has money, average skills, but lacks the dedication to practice or get some good instruction.  They try to buy their way into the X ring.  It doesnt work!  The other thing I see is well shooter X won and he's using setup/gun X.  Hey it works for him, but it doesnt mean it will work for you.  Yet you see people go out and spend  lots of $$ to be like shooter X.  STUPID!  Unless they KNOW it will work for them.  Ive beat alot of shooters that had 4-10X as much $ in gear/guns.  etc, etc, etc

When doing a scientific-like experiment, you need a control.  When changing both the shooter and the gear, there is no control.   To evaluate the advantages of a piece of equipment, the same shooter must be used.  I have concluded that if you take an average 3Gun shooter and have him shoot some rifle stages with the same rifle with and without the LW carrier, he will shoot faster with the LW carrier.

A heavier carrier is not needed since your not shooting max loads required at long distances. Ok with that as well.

I keep hearing this and I'm not convinced.   The carrier mass does delay bolt rotation (the gas pushes the bolt forward and the carrier back - the carrier moves), but there's little or no gas pressure until the bullet passes the gas port.    Barrel pressure is WAY less than max 13" down the barrel.  Ie, so the bolt can't even rotate to unlock until chamber pressure has dropped way down.

IM or email me if youre close to NE TX or will be passing thru SE OK I'd love to meet you in the flesh.  Im on call but getting a breather for now.
  We were from NM to TX this weekend (US64/87/287) but had no time.   We left Waco last night at 6PM and I just pulled in an hour ago.

-z
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#38]

but there's little or no gas pressure until the bullet passes the gas port.

WHAT???

gas pressure will be pretty high before the port since that's what pushing a bullet out of the case involves.  As gas travels thru the port and enters the carrier, the pressure in the barrel will drop.  

"objects at rest tend to stay at rest."  

A heavier carrier will resist movement until the force of the gas is sufficient to overcome the friction of its resting state.  Since it weighs more and has more mass it will stay at rest longer, the propellent gases will continue to expand, thereby increasing the volume they occupy and decreasing pressure.  If a heavier carrier unlocks at a slower rate, pressure exerted on the case while the bolt is unlocking will be less.

In the case of the lightweight carrier, the carrier will move quicker (since it has less mass). therefore that bolt will unlock quicker, or sooner, in relation to the pressure spike.

The carrier (lightweight) will also travel faster as the rifle cycles.  Since KE=.5MV^2, your LW carrier actually would have more force as it travels rearward.  This is controlled by adjusting the gas pressure (via volume) and springs.

To evaluate the advantages of a piece of equipment, the same shooter must be used

Correct, however it assumes that each shooter is the same - we're not. Best you can get is several shooters evaluating the same gear/mods/etc. vs a standard or previous set-up.

If I could consistenly get 1/4 moa out of a lightweight AR, I would be too busy accepting my Nobel prize for changing the laws of physics to post on this board!

Its still an awesome accomplisment,. Not bad shooting by Zak either

I do think that if he burns thru 500 rds in 20 minutes and ruins the barrel, we should consider having Guido the leg breaker visit him....

Side note, Ross is as good as I have seen with a 226 (his usually last around 200k before the frames crack). He is shooting a new MRP carbine these days though, with a QC Brake on it. It's the hot setup for M.I.S.S. Rifle Mania!

I was a little too cocky last time I stopped by to see Ross (I smoked him like a cheap suit previously)  and he returned the favor in spades this last time. "Is that there 1911 a single stack?"  "Yeah", I said.  "Let's go shoot man on man steel"  I think I beat him on one set of racks over about 2 hours.  Humility is so much fun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

but there's little or no gas pressure until the bullet passes the gas port.

WHAT???
gas pressure will be pretty high before the port since that's what pushing a bullet out of the case involves.  As gas travels thru the port and enters the carrier, the pressure in the barrel will drop.  

Sorry, I mis-spoke.  Write it off to me driving home last night instead of sleeping.

I meant to say "there's little or no gas pressure AT THE PORT until the bullet passes the port"

"objects at rest tend to stay at rest."  
A heavier carrier will resist movement until the force of the gas is sufficient to overcome the friction of its resting state.  Since it weighs more and has more mass it will stay at rest longer, the propellent gases will continue to expand, thereby increasing the volume they occupy and decreasing pressure.  If a heavier carrier unlocks at a slower rate, pressure exerted on the case while the bolt is unlocking will be less.

True.  A heavier carrier will cam the bolt at a slower rate, so it will take longer to unlock.  And the bolt carrier group will accelerate more slowly than a lighter one.

However, my point/question was that at the time the gas pressure enters the barrel port, goes through the tube, and is transmitted back to the carrier key, the chamber pressure is WAY low.  

At the time the bullet passes the port and thus the carrier has even a chance of moving to the rear to unlock, the chamber pressure (in a rifle length gas setup) is already down around 12,500 psi.  (Taken from the graph)

When that 12,500 psi of gas pressure travels down the gas tube and enters the carrier, the gas pushes against that vessel which is the bolt carrier and gas key, and the bolt as sealed by the bolt rings.   The initial thrust of gas actually pushes the bolt forward holding it in place.  At the same time, the other side of that vessel is being pushed backwards - the carrier moves to the rear.  As the bolt's gas rings clear the two holes, gas escapes.  As the carrier is pulled to the rear, the cam pin rotates the bolt, it unlocks, and everything is pulled to the rear.

So the bolt is held in place immediately by the gas pressure, and then it's cammed and pulled to the rear.  But none of this happens during "high" (ie, near max) chamber pressure.   If you then contend that different loads could produce higher pressures at the port (which is reasonable), then I have to ask-- higher than the 24,000 psi that a carbine gas system produces?  (that's at least 2x the port pressure of the rifle system).

If what you say is true, then we'd expect to see  pressure issues all the time in carbines, yet they can shoot M193/M855 all day without blowing up.   Yes, M4 gas systems have more harsh extraction, but I didn't think that was the issue at hand.

In the case of the lightweight carrier, the carrier will move quicker (since it has less mass). therefore that bolt will unlock quicker, or sooner, in relation to the pressure spike.

Are you saying there's enough residual pressure when the bullet is 13" down the barrel (ie, 12,500 psi) is enough to cause pressure problems?

To evaluate the advantages of a piece of equipment, the same shooter must be used

Correct, however it assumes that each shooter is the same - we're not. Best you can get is several shooters evaluating the same gear/mods/etc. vs a standard or previous set-up.

There is already a large sample size of shooters using these carriers and they report the effects I've described.

-z
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
This is really kind of a funny thread hijack.  The rifle doesn't even use a really lightened carrier, just a steel one a little lighter than stock.

-z
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Zak,

I'm not talking about port pressure - which is another whole discussion, as well as dwell time, etc.  

I have spent hours (and drank too much Etoh) discussing gas pressure, port size, gas tubes, etc. with Mark.  My head still hurts!

In this context Im refering to chamber pressure and case (the weakest part of the sytem when it comes to failure resulting in injury) pressure.

Assume identical barrels and gas systems, port sizes, etc.  The only difference is the carrier/bolt group weight.

The bolt doesnt move until:

A. gas gets there
B. its of sufficient pressure and quantity to overcome the friction and inertia of the bolt.

Meanwhile the gas volume continues to increase - more specifically the gas occupies and steadily increasing area - it expands into the tube, down the barrel, etc.

If a bolt unlocks at a slower rate, the case is supported by the chamber longer.  Meanwhile gas pressure decreases.  The bolt starts moving, slower/later in the heavy system, hence less pressure is acting on the case.  Especially as the case becomes less and less supported as the extraction cycle continues.

In other words the pressure on the case is spread out longer over greater time.  Again, Im not talking at all about port pressure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm not talking about port pressure - which is another whole discussion, as well as dwell time, etc.  
I have spent hours (and drank too much Etoh) discussing gas pressure, port size, gas tubes, etc. with Mark.  My head still hurts!
In this context Im refering to chamber pressure and case (the weakest part of the sytem when it comes to failure resulting in injury) pressure.
Assume identical barrels and gas systems, port sizes, etc.  The only difference is the carrier/bolt group weight.
The bolt doesnt move until:
A. gas gets there
B. its of sufficient pressure and quantity to overcome the friction and inertia of the bolt.

This is not a blowback system.   In a Makarov or 10/22, or even a 1911, you need some minimum amount of mass to keep everything in battery until the pressure drops.  The mass in those systems is tuned to the inertia imparted to the slide (or slide + barrel) and the velocity/pressure curve of the cartridge.  

In the AR15, the bolt physically cannot move to the rear until the cam pin rotates it due to gas pressure. The bolt lugs engage the  lugs in the barrel extension.  No amount of rearward force on that bolt will make it move (provided the bolt itself does not fail).  

That gas pressure cannot exist until the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel.   Per those charts from Armalite, the chamber pressure at the time the bullet is passing the barrel's gas port is only about 12,500 (that's just after t=930ms in those graphs).

In that sequence of events, the bolt cannot move at all - it's locked to the front by the bbl extension lugs and locked axially by the cam surface and cam pin - until the gas pressure in the chamber has dropped to about 12,500psi per Armalite's data.  

The point about protection against high pressure loads is moot because even those wouldn't be 2x the gas pressure at 13" down the barrel, which is the pressure at which an M4 starts to unlock!

Furthermore, the instant the gas enters the carrier through the carrier key, it's pushing that bolt further in to battery, not out of it.

-z
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]

This is not a blowback system

How true.  

Realize in armalites data the carriers are the same weight.

Ive obviously not gotten my point across.

Think of a heavier carrier acting to prolong the pressure spike or lengthen the amount gas pressure can act.  

The point about protection against high pressure loads is moot because even those wouldn't be 2x the gas pressure at 13" down the barrel, which is the pressure at which an M4 starts to unlock

And this means what in the realm of carrier weights?

This data was used to support discussions about dwell time and gas tube lengths and there effects on reliability.  Even here the data is a reflection of 2 standard loadings, but barrel length and gas port locations differ.

Again, its probably more a lack of my ability to explain my point that has us stumbling around.

If you reload, work up a max load for one of your AR's using your lightest carrier.  When I say max I mean flattened primer, possibly som gas blow by.  If you have a heavier carrier or an M-16 carrier then shoot the same load.  It will not exhibit the same tell tale signs of excessive pressure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#44]
In regards to max pressure loads with different buffer or specifically carrier weights, I can see both sides to it.

I can see what Zak is trying to do, create have a gun for shooting 3-gun competitions.  An aluminum carrier has the potential to reduce the amount the sight picture is disrupted because it reduces the mass moving back and forth.  A side affect of this reduced mass means that there is not as much energy or momentum to strip the round off the magazine and/or overcome the friction or very small blocking effects that crud and grease buildup in the upper receiver where the bolt carrier is.  Zak has said that he has had problems with this combo before.  I have talked to another shooter and he has also had problems.  It is great when it works, but it doesn't always work.  Now he is just using a slightly lighter than stock carrier.  No big deal, and he mentioned this in his comment about the thread hijack.

4gma is talking about how in his experience, heavier carrier masses have resulted in less pressure signs than standard weight carriers.  Can't argue with experience.  I have seen the results of the same load fired with a standard carrier, and then the tungsten weight of a CWS  in one of those AR15 books that was more focused on match uppers and stuff like that than M4s and the like.  IThe difference was pretty amazing.

And yet I can see Zak's point about why would there be pressure sign differences if there is only 13.5K pressure in the chamber when the bullet goes past the gas port?  Note, I did not say when it UNLOCKS, I said when the bullet goes past the gas port.  There shouldn't be much pressure left in the chamber/barrel when everything unlocks.  Look at the chamber on a good running AR15.  There shouldn't be much crud in there simply because there isn't much pressure then the gun unlocks.  There is probably all sorts of crud around the barrel extension though, but I think that is from the carrier key blowing it forward after  the gun unlocks.

I think the key thing here is something that I had never considered before.  What Zak said about the bolt being pushed forward against the case because of the pressure against it in the bolt carrier.  It is something about that.  It has to be.  But maybe not.

Never thought about that before.  Thanks Zak!  Thanks 4gma!

Back to my thinking cage, night all!
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Note that in most handguns, you can reduce the slide mass and/or recoil spring "K" to increase the cycling speed.  IPSC pistols do this all the time.    The slide will be moving faster, but in a 1911, it will often recoil "flatter".   My thought is that this is because the spring is transferring less force from the slide to the gun around its axis when it's in position to have a higher radius (ie, closer to battery).  

Increasing spring K in a pistol will generally make the recoil softer and increase brass life, but causes more muzzle rise, at least for me.

In my 1911 (45), I run a 14lb spring.

-z
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Zak... and I mean no offense by any means..... do you rob banks for a living????? How do you afford all this cool stuff??? I am beyond jealous, your AR collection is insane. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#48]
These are not the droids you're looking for...
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Zak's an EE grad 6 years out from his masters. He probably pulls in 60-80ish a year (given the cost of living in CO) with no dependents. 10-15k on ARs over a couple years ain't no thing for the boy!

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not married.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top