Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2023 6:41:00 PM EDT
Do you guys ever remove the copper fouling from your chrome lined barrels? I use Sweets 7.62 on my hunting rifles but have never really gave it a thought to use it on my ARs. I usually just run a few patches of CLP or Hoppes #9 down the barrel and call it good. With the chrome lining it's hard to shine a light in and see if there is any copper fouling.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is built up and affecting performance, use the hard stuff. Otherwise, H#9 soak and a little JB paste.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what your usage is. For a range gun that you shoot occasionally I would not worry about it. Even the Army does not care about copper. CLP does nothing to get that out.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Can’t get much copper fouling out with a bore snake and CLP which is all I ever use on my ARs.  Haven’t noticed any accuracy issues with my CL or non-CL barrels.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not that I’ve deemed it necessary, but I do it around the 4-5K mark.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean my rifle barrels every time their used. Usually range days are 100 at a minimum, so I think it's just good practice but that's just my opinion.

For AR I use a bore guide, dewy one piece rod, a few passes with Butch's bore shine, bore brush followed by a few patches with a bore jag. I'm not married to Butch's and may try something else down the road, but it seems to work well.

I figure this will prevent copper build up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
I clean my rifle barrels every time their used. Usually range days are 100 at a minimum, so I think it's just good practice but that's just my opinion.

For AR I use a bore guide, dewy one piece rod, a few passes with Butch's bore shine, bore brush followed by a few patches with a bore jag. I'm not married to Butch's and may try something else down the road, but it seems to work well.

I figure this will prevent copper build up.
View Quote

It will prevent copper build up, sure, but you're also cleaning substantially more than needed. Using a bore guide you should be fine but that is still a ton of unnecessary work.

FWIW I will use Butch's when accuracy falls off but until then I go easy on barrel cleaning. Usually a wipe down/lube of the BCG and a bore snake every few hundred rounds or so if suppressed, if unsuppressed longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Copper fouling... I went through the trouble of using a copper solvent and patched my 20" 5.56 gun until it was copper free. I then learned where the term " fouling shot" came from. It took 5 shots before it started grouping again. After some research I started finding some precision shooters don't ever use copper solvents. That copper fouling doesn't keep building up. It hits a point where it just fills the imperfections and reaches homeostasis.

IDK how right or wrong that is but I stopped dealing with copper fouling a decade ago and haven't seen any accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Copper fouling... I went through the trouble of using a copper solvent and patched my 20" 5.56 gun until it was copper free. I then learned where the term " fouling shot" came from. It took 5 shots before it started grouping again. After some research I started finding some precision shooters don't ever use copper solvents. That copper fouling doesn't keep building up. It hits a point where it just fills the imperfections and reaches homeostasis.

IDK how right or wrong that is but I stopped dealing with copper fouling a decade ago and haven't seen any accuracy issues.
View Quote

I've met a few precision shooters who only use JB Bore paste to clean the excess copper. It doesn't remove all of it like a solvent will, but removes it from the surface of the bore, and smooths over what is filling the pits. I've also read this years a go in some mag, but not clue how true it is. I guess it works for them, and as long as it's consistent I guess that's what really matters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M1A4ME] [#9]
I bought some Bore Tech copper remover/cleaner and it worked pretty good.  I was using it on a couple pistol barrels, not rifle barrels.

Really pretty bluish/green color on the patches at first and then it fades as you keep using newer patches.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I had copper fouling and verdigris build up in an AR barrel that was improperly stored.  I couldn't get a bore rod or brush into the barrel due to the build up.  

Kroil didn't to a thing for it.  I plugged it and sprayed Liquid Wrench inside and let it set for 24 hours.  A bore brush pushed right through and the pile of debris was impressive.  The chrome bore was intact and undamaged.  At the start, I honestly thought the barrel was ruined, and that is how I found this site, the ARFCOM, while intarweb searching for replacement barrel pricing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it too late to invite people to the proper break-in cult?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
judging by the green copper salts on my muzzle devices hoppe's no. 9 is already taking care of this for me
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I generally use boretech eliminator on everything including the insides of the bcg and bolt. It removes everything fairly well and then I clean normally.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top