Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
This came up while cleaning my primary yesterday.   I'm always really careful not to get CLP and other products on my optic, but my hand slipped and splashed a little on the red dot's mount.  I'm not worried about that:  It's happened before.  But it got me thinking.  Even though most battery powered optics have o-rings for the battery compartment lid and adjustment knobs, how impervious are they to solvents and lubricants (particularly the penetrating kind), getting in and ruining the optic?  No matter how careful one is, shit happens.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you’re worrying about a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocApocalypse] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
I think you’re worrying about a non issue.
View Quote

Not worried, just curious.

For example, I would not store a firearm in a VCI gun sock without removing the optric first.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
This is probably a question for the manufacturer,  but personally as long as I wasn't planning to dunk them in oil, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Water will do more damage than oil will ever do.  Oil just would be annoying getting of lens or viewing windows.  For the most part oils are not good conductor at all and why they are used as cooling fluid in oil submersion computers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
This is probably a question for the manufacturer,  but personally as long as I wasn't planning to dunk them in oil, I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

Hasn't been a problem in 15 years. I have all types of optics.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I wipe down my optic body with CLP all the time. For decades. No issues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Most modern optics are designed to be moisture resistant.  They'll be ok as long as they're not submerged for a long period of time.  Most battery compartments have rubber seals or gaskets.  I wouldn't expect CLP to dissolve them.  As a safeguard you may want to check if any oil seeped in to touch the seals.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I slap a Scope Coat or bikini cover on my optics before I start cleaning.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top