Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2024 8:50:37 AM EDT
Morning fellow black rifle addi....aficionados. I recently had a fella offer me a <100 round count complete LWRC M6IC DI 12.7" pistol with a Sig Romeo 4T for my safe queen 2013 configuration Colt LE6920 SOCOM (16" SOCOM barrel without M4 flats, KAC RAS, Matech BUIS, etc). I'm tempted since I don't shoot the Colt (just holding onto it since there was only 1500 made) and I currently don't own any pistols or SBRs.

What are the Pros and Cons of the LWRC? They seem to be very highly regarded, but I don't like that so many components are proprietary. I do think 12.7" is about the ideal barrel length for a short barreled firearm, and I would most likely SBR this. The ambi controls on the lower seem pretty nice too. It's definitely not something I need, but I think it would make a handy little HD setup that would still provide reasonable accuracy out to 300. What is the general consensus on these?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:25:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#1]
The LWRC is a really nice setup I think you are coming out ahead on the deal.  I would make that trade!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#2]
As an owner of both:

If you want to ‘collect’, keep the Colt and leave unfired.

If you want to ‘shoot’, even swap your coming out ahead.

The value of the 2013 config SOCOMs tanked with the introduction of the new ‘current’
Colt SOCOM.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By longhunter09:

What are the Pros and Cons of the LWRC? They seem to be very highly regarded, but I don't like that so many components are proprietary. I do think 12.7" is about the ideal barrel length for a short barreled firearm, and I would most likely SBR this. The ambi controls on the lower seem pretty nice too. It's definitely not something I need, but I think it would make a handy little HD setup that would still provide reasonable accuracy out to 300. What is the general consensus on these?
View Quote

Actually very little is proprietary other than the handguard, and that's because it's a mechanically better handguard system.

LWRC uses an extended upper receiver design, which both offers ~1-1.5" extra optics mounting rail, and then also has the handguard mounted directly to the upper with 10x screws, rather than clamping to a barrel nut. Other than a monolithic rail, its about as secure and rigid as it gets.

An comprehensive video showing why the LWRC DI is nice in features and QC:

LWRC IC DI Carbine Rifle Review

TL;DW:

-Fully Ambi lower with bolt catch + release (many just have the release)
-Extended upper receiver w/ extra optic space
-Rigid rail mounting interface that bolts to extended upper receiver
-Cold Hammer Forged, Nitride barrel with 20,000rd barrel life per factory
-HBAR profile, fluted, medium weight barrel profile with midlength gas
-Enhanced Bolt Carrier with 1 piece integral machined gas key (cannot come loose; how BCG should have been designed)
-BCG self lubricating / easy cleaning nickel boron coating
-All small parts nitride coated for corrosion resistance
-90% of the rifles parts are made in house by LWRC (one of the highest in the industry)
-Rifle assembled with fixtures to ensure consistent QC

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muricha:
As an owner of both:

If you want to ‘collect’, keep the Colt and leave unfired.

If you want to ‘shoot’, even swap your coming out ahead.

The value of the 2013 config SOCOMs tanked with the introduction of the new ‘current’
Colt SOCOM.
View Quote

Makes sense. I've heard the 2013s can command a steep price with collectors because of the scarcity, but I don't know what Colt was thinking with that model. I'd much rather have a 14.5".
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Actually very little is proprietary other than the handguard, and that's because it's a mechanically better handguard system.

LWRC uses an extended upper receiver design, which both offers ~1-1.5" extra optics mounting rail, and then also has the handguard mounted directly to the upper with 10x screws, rather than clamping to a barrel nut. Other than a monolithic rail, its about as secure and rigid as it gets.

https://i.ibb.co/jH5Hdmw/LWRC-Handguard-Upper-Receiver-Mount.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTh_x3YFBr8

TL;DW:

-Enhanced Bolt Carrier with 1 piece integral machined gas key (cannot come loose; how BCG should have been designed)
-90% of the rifles parts are made in house by LWRC (one of the highest in the industry)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

TL;DW:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. This is great info and it really seems like the LWRC has a lot going for it. Seems like it could take a lot of abuse and still last a lifetime. I'll watch the video on my lunchbreak.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Makes sense. I've heard the 2013s can command a steep price with collectors because of the scarcity, but I don't know what Colt was thinking with that model. I'd much rather have a 14.5".
View Quote

Not like they used to.

Colt went to a U.S. Property marked M4A1 if I remember correctly.
A clone builder would much rather have one of those.

That being said, my 2013 config SOCOMII seems to be desirable still.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. This is great info and it really seems like the LWRC has a lot going for it. Seems like it could take a lot of abuse and still last a lifetime. I'll watch the video on my lunchbreak.
View All Quotes

TL;DW:

Happy to help.

The LWRC IC is a cool design, one of the few AR's where they actually tried to really evolve the AR platform rather then just making something that would sell.

Similar to the design goals of the KAC SR15 and the LMT MARS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Happy to help.

The LWRC IC is a cool design, one of the few AR's where they actually tried to really evolve the AR platform rather then just making something that would sell.

View All Quotes

TL;DW:

Happy to help.

I watched the video. Greta content. I've watched a lot of his historical stuff about old-school Colts. The man is an encyclopedia. This is the first modern review I've seen of his. Good stuff.

I'm making the trade tomorrow. I'll post pics afterwards and hopefully a range report this weekend (weather and work permitting).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: longhunter09] [#9]

Pretty neat little setup. I really like the ambi controls, and the semi-monolithicish upper seems incredibly solid. I'm usually not a fan of rattle-canned gun, but I actually like this paint-job. The guy who traded it said he erred on the side of caution saying it had 100 rounds through it, and it is probably much lower. The internals verify this. He even threw in a set of Sig BUIS and a new Reptilia mount. I was going to throw an ACOG/dot on here but may actually try out the 4T for a while. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
https://i.postimg.cc/bJpRtSyM/20240508-144548.jpg
Pretty neat little setup. I really like the ambi controls, and the semi-monolithicish upper seems incredibly solid. I'm usually not a fan of rattle-canned gun, but I actually like this paint-job. The guy who traded it said he erred on the side of caution saying it had 100 rounds through it, and it is probably much lower. The internals verify this. He even threw in a set of Sig BUIS and a new Reptilia mount. I was going to throw an ACOG/dot on here but may actually try out the 4T for a while. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend.
View Quote

Dude, I'd call that a win.  Hope you enjoy it a bunch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MoonlightAgain:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MoonlightAgain:

Thanks man. I already changed my mind and decided it needed the greenodized ACOG/RMR. I'll use the 4T as a loaner.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Great trade man, congrats. The IC is a really dope rifle, and 12.7" is a great length for it. Paint job looks well done too.

Agree with the ACOG/RMR combo in your 2nd post, I think that suits the do-all nature of a 12.7" well.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top