Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2024 6:04:23 PM EDT
I've been trying to find a definitive photo to help me answer this question as the title would suggest, but it would appear after reading a nice account from somebody who finessed the hardest element involved with clones of this build (namely, the carry handle-mounted front peep sight), I am trying to finish my upper with as closest or most correct of a flash hider option as I can find.

Unfortunately, beyond some photos showing an elongated & spoked tri-prong flash hider, I can't find anything else that would be contraindicative to this for mounting in a clone of a LaFrance M16K variant. Thoughts, suggestions, pointers anybody?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
the flash hider is actually a four prong and I believe it was the straight tine 'vortex' MK1 before they did their MK2 twist version.
JT at Retroarms made one for himself, he may be able to help you with your project?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The original was the "Vortec" 4 prong straight tine that preceeded the Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Uppers should be easy soon. Mayhem Machine did a batch for Onyx Armsrecently. They're sold out but they'll be doing more and, I believe, be selling direct too.

I used one of their Nuke uppers on my 635 build. I'll be getting an M16K when they're out again.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I used…

Young MFG 4-prong
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tstetz:
Uppers should be easy soon. Mayhem Machine did a batch for Onyx Armsrecently. They're sold out but they'll be doing more and, I believe, be selling direct too.

I used one of their Nuke uppers on my 635 build. I'll be getting an M16K when they're out again.
View Quote

That's really cool; those uppers seem to have the carry handle attachment hole drilled, do you know if they would still fit something like a 3-4x20 retro-style scope?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKzgalore:

That's really cool; those uppers seem to have the carry handle attachment hole drilled, do you know if they would still fit something like a 3-4x20 retro-style scope?
View Quote

Lemme se if I can find out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Okay, after some pestering, the answer on the Colt scope is, probably but it would need checked for sure.

An encouraging sign though is that an Armson OEG does work on a K as seen HERE from an archived thread.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C2Installs] [#9]
Here's my go at this. Small change in the buttstock set-up, as I had a cut N1 stock that I picked up on the EE years ago and thought it was a good fit for the "K" format. Still need to add LaFrance Markings to right side of receiver and then wither re-anodize or, more correctly, coat it all in solid film lubricant...

Mayhem Machine Upper from Onyx Arms
SBR'd A1 Lower
3D-Printed Metal HG Cap
Cut Surplus HGs
Cut Colt N1 Stock
LWRC Ultra Compact RE and Buffer
Pigtail Pistol Gas System with shaved down LPGB
Young Mfg 4-prong FH
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By C2Installs:
This is what I used…

Young MFG 4-prong
View Quote

This is the absolute closest thing available and what I'm using for mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my go at this. Small change in the buttstock set-up, as I had a cut N1 stock that I picked up on the EE years ago and thought it was a good fit for the "K" format. Still need to add LaFrance Markings to right side of receiver and then wither re-anodize or, more correctly, coat it all in solid film lubricant...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169657/IMG_9289-3218490.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169657/IMG_9290-3218489.jpg

Mayhem Machine Upper from Onyx Arms
SBR'd A1 Lower
3D-Printed Metal HG Cap
Cut Surplus HGs
Cut Colt N1 Stock
LWRC Ultra Compact RE and Buffer
Pigtail Pistol Gas System with shaved down LPGB
Young Mfg 4-prong FH
View Quote

Did you get your HG cap from the guy selling some on Shapeways? And why would you have an ultracompact buffer & stock assembly, from what I found it used a regular carbine-length tube & CAR-15 stock?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
The original was the "Vortec" 4 prong straight tine that preceeded the Smith Vortex.
View Quote

@Gamma762 you DM'd me about this, I sent some replies but haven't yet heard back from you?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Did you get your HG cap from the guy selling some on Shapeways? And why would you have an ultracompact buffer & stock assembly, from what I found it used a regular carbine-length tube & CAR-15 stock?
View Quote

Yes, front cap is from Shapeways. It's not bad. It is a bit loose as far as the hand guards fitting, so I shimmed it a little with heat resistant automotive harness tape. From what I've seen fitment tolerances were variable with La France OG stuff.

Concerning the ultra compact stock setup, I just like the looks and balance of it. I had the parts already on hand, having purchased the cut Colt N1 stock years ago off the EE and never finding a use for it. I feel like La France might have optioned the M16K this way if the UC system/parts had been available. The full carbine stock kind of throws the look off when extended, IMO. This gun was originally intended for two roles, IIRC. One was protection details; following the Reagan assassination attempt, the whole world saw how Uzis were concealed by USSS agents, and Tim had a market opportunity. Second, in SoCal where La France was, motorcycle cops were looking for better firepower options and they needed something for saddle bags, which limited weapon length and as a result, options. The M16K was marketed to them, as well.

Really, in the context of when Tim was building these, aftermarket AR stuff was not common, typically poor quality, and hard to source. His interviews allude to difficulties with finding parts and his guns varied a lot based on this. So if imagining a WWLFD now thing, I think a flattop with pistol-sized RDS, M4 Oval HGs, and a compact stock setup would be about right...kinda like the Colt SCW with a shorter barrel.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Yes, front cap is from Shapeways. It's not bad. It is a bit loose as far as the hand guards fitting, so I shimmed it a little with heat resistant automotive harness tape. From what I've seen fitment tolerances were variable with La France OG stuff.

Concerning the ultra compact stock setup, I just like the looks and balance of it. I had the parts already on hand, having purchased the cut Colt N1 stock years ago off the EE and never finding a use for it. I feel like La France might have optioned the M16K this way if the UC system/parts had been available. The full carbine stock kind of throws the look off when extended, IMO. This gun was originally intended for two roles, IIRC. One was protection details; following the Reagan assassination attempt, the whole world saw how Uzis were concealed by USSS agents, and Tim had a market opportunity. Second, in SoCal where La France was, motorcycle cops were looking for better firepower options and they needed something for saddle bags, which limited weapon length and as a result, options. The M16K was marketed to them, as well.

Really, in the context of when Tim was building these, aftermarket AR stuff was not common, typically poor quality, and hard to source. His interviews allude to difficulties with finding parts and his guns varied a lot based on this. So if imagining a WWLFD now thing, I think a flattop with pistol-sized RDS, M4 Oval HGs, and a compact stock setup would be about right...kinda like the Colt SCW with a shorter barrel.

View Quote

Gotcha...yeah it looks rad, I was just wondering since I'm also building a clone of this and of the MARS, and I was familiar with a shortened buffer system being necessary for that, but not this...good resourcefulness on your part though, final product looks gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Wish PSA would add the LaFrance to their retro AR pistol line,

They are cool.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MRW:
That's OJ Simpson juggling babies in the background
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:
Originally Posted By PaladinM1911:
Wish PSA would add the LaFrance to their retro AR pistol line,
https://www.imfdb.org/images/d/d3/NG3_19.jpg
They are cool.
That's OJ Simpson juggling babies in the background

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top