Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2024 5:09:33 PM EDT
I always see them for sale in pretty much new condition and curious as to why so many are for sale. What did you replace it with and what are some things you didn't like about it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II E

The extra 2x up top wasn’t worth the 1x performance trade off compared to razor 1-6 for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They also released the same thing with a new reticle that is better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I sold mine after discovering it wasnt any better than my Burris XTR II
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
similar situation - i bought an atacr 4-20 for my 7 rm tikka.  it was just too heavy, and the rotating ocular makes quick zoom changes a tad slow.  i used my buddy's 1-8 ATACR and did not like how it felt in transitions from 1x to whateverX

i replaced the ATACR with a tenmile and have been much happier.  i went for a TR25 during this red dot -> LPVO transition.  lets see what happens after i sell the TR25, switch back to dots on everything, then want an LPVO again
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually kept my ATACR 1 - 8.  My multiple Vortex scopes have a total of about 5-ish trips back to Vortex, including the vaunted and revered Razor 1 - 6 ( and a couple cases of total replacement after light use).  Always fixed or replaced with only the awful hassle of removing, sending in, re-installing and re-zeroing.

I have never had a NF fail or need any warranty support in 20+ years including some hard use and that is good enough for me.

Heavier? yes. Latest bells and whistles, usually no. Absolute best overall specs, probably not. However, I wanted a very very tough, robust and overbuilt scope so I kept the ATACR. Vortex is fine, still use them.

My guess is that people have buyer’s remorse because of the high price.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By benjam8291:

My guess is that people have buyer’s remorse because of the high price.

View Quote

^^^also this for me in addition to the other reasons i gave.   i was able to sell the ATACR and buy both a tenmile 3-18 mil (when they were on sale for 950) and a tr25.  

i don't use my weapons in any sort of professional capacity, and trijicon durability seems to be "good enough" (not just acog's, rokslide has some independent testing of trijicon scopes that hold up as well as nightforce, SWFA, and Maven) for hunting and self defense/class purposes
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Xtr3 is better in many aspects and came out of the same factory
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Phiers:
View Quote

It's really unfortunate that they didn't come out with one in 1-8x
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By realwar:
I always see them for sale in pretty much new condition and curious as to why so many are for sale. What did you replace it with and what are some things you didn't like about it?
View Quote

Nightforce NX8. I prefer it for the form factor and optical properties.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I traded my AR15 that my ATACR was on as I have a few AR15 already. I still have an ATACR on my other AR15 which if worth it for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
To be honest it's huge, it's sexy, it's huge and heavy and as RustedAce has stated the NX8 and Acog/RMR combo are the finest two optics for the AR 556 platform out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you need or want an optic with clear glass, durability, and .1 mil adjustments?

If yes, Atacr is your jam.  If no, it’s not.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the ATACR have the same warping/lensing problems that  NX8 does at 1x?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By InvertedDeparture:
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

What?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

What?

Yeah I'd like to what, myself?

Had both of these and there was no "warping.

I know how to adjust a diopter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I have both and no issues exist with either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I headed up a 'Law Enforcement Designated Marksman' program at my agency a while back.  I took about 20 standard M4 style patrol rifles, installed a nice rail, a Surefire weapon light and an LPVO on each one, and then put on a class on how to utilize the rifle/optic as an enhanced package for the uniform patrol officer.  I started with Razors, as that's what I believed was best suited for this project, but I bought a couple of ATACRs as well, just to try out.  Nobody wants the ATACRs.  Everybody who tries them out prefers the Razor, as the 1x is better and the reticle is less cluttered.  I think if you were doing real DMR stuff, the ATACR might be better.  But for a uniform patrol scenario, where you are more likely to use the rifle/optic on 1x, I think the Razor is better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Newnimprovedusername:

I have both and no issues exist with either.
View Quote

Some videos out there are able to demonstrate the fish eye/warping effect of the NF LPVOs.  It’s honestly hard to tell in the video for me, and I have never noticed while actually shooting my buddy’s ATACR at 1x. I think some people are much more sensitive to this than others
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Having used both and owning a couple of 1-8 ATACR’s, I can’t say I’ve experienced this with either the NX8 1-8 or the ATACR 1-8.

I’ve owned Kahles, Steiner, and Vortex LPVO’s. All have been sold and will slowly be replaced by the 1-8 ATACR with FC-DMx reticle across the board. Hands down the best LPVO and reticle I’ve used thus far for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:

Having used both and owning a couple of 1-8 ATACR’s, I can’t say I’ve experienced this with either the NX8 1-8 or the ATACR 1-8.

I’ve owned Kahles, Steiner, and Vortex LPVO’s. All have been sold and will slowly be replaced by the 1-8 ATACR with FC-DMx reticle across the board. Hands down the best LPVO and reticle I’ve used thus far for me.
View Quote

Concur. I've owned Steiner, Leupold, multiple Vortex Razors and now multiple NX8's and ATACRs. I'm pretty much committed to the ATACR DM or DMx reticle as the best LPVO for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
I headed up a 'Law Enforcement Designated Marksman' program at my agency a while back.  I took about 20 standard M4 style patrol rifles, installed a nice rail, a Surefire weapon light and an LPVO on each one, and then put on a class on how to utilize the rifle/optic as an enhanced package for the uniform patrol officer.  I started with Razors, as that's what I believed was best suited for this project, but I bought a couple of ATACRs as well, just to try out.  Nobody wants the ATACRs.  Everybody who tries them out prefers the Razor, as the 1x is better and the reticle is less cluttered.  I think if you were doing real DMR stuff, the ATACR might be better.  But for a uniform patrol scenario, where you are more likely to use the rifle/optic on 1x, I think the Razor is better.
View Quote

My buddy has this NF and I agree with your assessment. The 1X on the Razor is much better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
People sell tons of ACOGs, EOtechs, and other high end scopes that don't have a real problem.

Typically I think some dude buys it, realizes it doesn't replace actually learning to use a gun, and then sells it because it's hard to have that much money sitting in the safe doing nothing. The other end of the spectrum is restless rifle syndrome, a dude may actually shoot enough to need a high end optic but is a degenerate horse trader that can't hold on to something for more than a month.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
People sell tons of ACOGs, EOtechs, and other high end scopes that don't have a real problem.

Typically I think some dude buys it, realizes it doesn't replace actually learning to use a gun, and then sells it because it's hard to have that much money sitting in the safe doing nothing. The other end of the spectrum is restless rifle syndrome, a dude may actually shoot enough to need a high end optic but is a degenerate horse trader that can't hold on to something for more than a month.
View Quote

Good points and I agree, I’d also like to add that I’ve seen sellers dumping their Nightforce s for Razors for the simple fact they don’t take the time to set them up correctly or they perceive a non existing issue because they read something on the internet or some other gun range “expert” tell them about the bad eye box or some other issue. I’ve seen that first hand and picked up a NX-8 that way. The guy took the “expert” advice from another guy who was clue as on the proper setup. I bet most all sellers just bought the flavor of the month mounts, mounted it and never gave another thought that mount height and position play a huge role in proper setup.

I used to have three Razors and they’re all gone now in favor of NX-8’s which fill my need perfectly, their smaller and lighter. I’ve wanted to get a ATACR but I fear I’ll like it to much and than start the slow transition to those.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Razzman1] [#24]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

My buddy has this NF and I agree with your assessment. The 1X on the Razor is much better.
View All Quotes

I stole this description from someone else and thought it described the difference between the Razor and ATACR best:  the Razor is a really good 1x optic that you can dial up to a perfectly adequate 6x optic, whereas the ATACR is a really good 8x optic that can be dialed down to an adequate 1x optic. Choose the one that best fits your use-case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]

I stole this description from someone else and thought it described the difference between the Razor and ATACR best:  the Razor is a really good 1x optic that you can dial up to a perfectly adequate 6x optic, whereas the ATACR is a really good 8x optic that can be dialed down to an adequate 1x optic. Choose the one that best fits your use-case.
View All Quotes

The Razor to me is just a big red dot with magnification, The Nightforce has a far superior reticle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

The Razor to me is just a big red dot with magnification, The Nightforce has a far superior reticle.
View All Quotes

For long range, the NF reticle is much nicer with all those wind holds.

This makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#27]

This makes sense to me.
View All Quotes

This makes sense to me.

I think the DMx is faster than the dot of the razor, but it also allows you to range and gives you allot more precsion, like I said earlier the Razor is nothing more than a red dot with magnification.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Ummm…. What warping? The NX8 is excellent at 1X.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#29]

I think the DMx is faster than the dot of the razor,
View Quote

Is it because you like using the T bars to center the reticle on a target?  I know some guys like those types of reticles for that reason.

For me, since I'm looking at the exact spot on a target for a presentation or transition, I just want a single dot with small lines around it to minimize the visual obstruction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Pretty sure that's not true. LOW doesn't make the XTR3 it's made in the Philippines and the Pro is made in the US.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By adavis:

Pretty sure that's not true. LOW doesn't make the XTR3 it's made in the Philippines and the Pro is made in the US.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adavis:

Low did make the XTR ll's in the 1-8x24 /34mm, but just those two were Japan made.

I had both of them, the FFP and the SFP models.

The were pretty nice but not better IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Is it because you like using the T bars to center the reticle on a target?  I know some guys like those types of reticles for that reason.

For me, since I'm looking at the exact spot on a target for a presentation or transition, I just want a single dot with small lines around it to minimize the visual obstruction.
View All Quotes

I think the DMx is faster than the dot of the razor,

I like this,
Attachment Attached File

Over these,
JM1
Attachment Attached File

Mil,
Attachment Attached File

At least the Razor 3 figured out the Razor 2’s are just a red dot,
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#33]
Originally Posted By sticman77:

Some videos out there are able to demonstrate the fish eye/warping effect of the NF LPVOs.  It’s honestly hard to tell in the video for me, and I have never noticed while actually shooting my buddy’s ATACR at 1x. I think some people are much more sensitive to this than others
View Quote

That is what DLO (Ilya Koshkin) was saying.
Some people are sensitive to the the image through the NX8, and after a while it can get tiring and causes eye strain.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#34]

View Quote

On a shot timer or to your eye?

The vortex scopes look great when you hold them steady and stare through them.

The optic body, as perceived by your eye, is very minimal.

When actually using them, on a shot timer, both eyes open at 1X, that optic body really isn’t visible on the nightforce optics and it becomes irrelevant. I’ve had no problem adjusting the diopter on my nightforces to get a good flat image.

The benefits of the nightforce reticle become obvious at distance, as does the glass, so I chose nightforce. Specifically the ATACR due to the .1 mrad adjustments.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

On a shot timer or to your eye?

The vortex scopes look great when you hold them steady and stare through them.

The optic body, as perceived by your eye, is very minimal.

When actually using them, on a shot timer, both eyes open at 1X, that optic body really isn’t visible on the nightforce optics and it becomes irrelevant. I’ve had no problem adjusting the diopter on my nightforces to get a good flat image.

The benefits of the nightforce reticle become obvious at distance, as does the glass, so I chose nightforce. Specifically the ATACR due to the .1 mrad adjustments.

View Quote

To my eye, even after dialing in the diopter, the 1X on the Razor is flatter with a smaller bezel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#36]
To my eyes, my Razor 1-6 and Razor 1-10 look way better on 1x than my NX8. On the clock, I have found that it makes no difference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
To my eyes, my Razor 1-6 and Razor 1-10 look way better on 1x than my NX8. On the clock, I have found that it makes no difference.
View Quote

This is the key take away
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top