Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2024 6:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: colt-fan]
OK. I'm looking for a bit of guidance from the hive. I have a stag arms lefty upper I purchased from stag. The bolt has always been on the loose side but it is now rediculous. The gun still runs but if I hold the bcg with the bolt down it will damn near go forward under its own weight. Much less the normal test of extending the bolt and putting it bolt down on the table. It collapses before I even release the full weight of the bolt carrier.

So I've tried 3 different sets of gas rings including one of the one piece rings with no impact. Is there any easy way to see if it's the gas run on the bolt carrier vs the bolt, or I'm I better off bying a new BCG?

I called stag and was told I'm out of luck because it wasn't purchased as a complete rifle.  Rifles get lifetime warranty and everything else is apparently 1 year.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the quick response.  Very hard to get a pic but the chrome looks worn but not pitted/flaking.  The bolt will partially collapse into the carrier when placed on end with bolt up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eg79YSA3jtL2BumRA
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the quick response.  Very hard to get a pic but the chrome looks worn but not pitted/flaking.  The bolt will partially collapse into the carrier when placed on end with bolt up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eg79YSA3jtL2BumRA

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dano523:
Test is for bolt up/carrier down on table top, to hold bolt up under its own weight up,
not bolt down, to hold up the carrier under its own weight.

As for rig running, B/C is not a problem, since have seen USGI rings still running with only a single gas ring in place.

But will ask that you post a photo of the carrier bolt channel, since may have a carrier that the channel was not chrome plated (defected from the start that they need to replace), and that lack of build up, could be the why the Bolt to carrier channel fit is looser.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you again sir. The information was very helpful. I think I may have figured this out. The current rings are the McFarland 1 piece which I know are non directional. However, I didn't realize until reading the McFarland info that the 1 piece rings won't pass the standard bolt test while still sealing.

Sorry for not catching that... I should have connected those dots.

Originally Posted By Dano523:
https://ar15xtreme.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/71Yoa8k2nlL._SL1365_.jpg

AR gas rings are stamp cut, with tops being rounded edges, and bottoms being sharp edges.
The very top right ring has it round side up, while the bottom left ring has it flat side up isntead.

When you install gas rings, want the sharp edges of gas rings to be towards the tail of the bolt, so they seal off better during the gas pulse that is pushing the carrier back.

So check which way you have the gas rings installed on the bolt, and if the sharp edge are not towards the tail side, correct that, and do the bolt test again.

If still loose with bolt not holding up under its own weight, then need to know the ID of the carrier gas channel, as well as the OD of the ring channel groove of where the rings fit on the bolt when you have the rings off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Std gas ring diameter is .512"+/- .001.

Bore/gas ring run is .4984" min after finish application.

I'd be grabbing some measurements.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: colt-fan] [#8]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Std gas ring diameter is .512"+/- .001.

Bore/gas ring run is .4984" min after finish application.

I'd be grabbing some measurements.
View Quote

Thank you. My calipers aren't long enough to get to the gas ring run. I can get the front and fist step down size which are .530 and .522 (this may be my calipers being to wide at the base). I'll check the gas ring diameter when I get home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNC:
I've found the one piece rings to be much tighter. Like this: https://jsesurplus.com/product/mcfarland-style-1-piece-gas-ring-helical/

You might try one of those and see if it helps.
View Quote

Thank you sir. I'll look into that
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By colt-fan:

Thank you. My calipers aren't long enough to get to the gas ring run. I can get the front and fist step down size which are .530 and .522 (this may be my calipers being to wide at the base). I'll check the gas ring diameter when I get home.
View Quote

Grainger sells pin guages for ~$20, I should have mentioned that as you are correct about dial calipers/depth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Grainger sells pin guages for ~$20, I should have mentioned that as you are correct about dial calipers/depth.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#12]
I would inspect the interior of the carrier for any burrs or other problems, and clean it with some carbon remover. You are putting your drop of oil on the rings aren't you?

Unless you are having actual function issues, I would get some spare rings and not worry about it beyond that. Put a new set in every 1000 rounds if it worries you. I would not recommend the one-piece rings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I would inspect the interior of the carrier for any burrs or other problems, and clean it with some carbon remover. You are putting your drop of oil on the rings aren't you?

Unless you are having actual function issues, I would get some spare rings and not worry about it beyond that. Put a new set in every 1000 rounds if it worries you. I would not recommend the one-piece rings.
View Quote

Inside of the carrier looks good. No burs or defects just some normal wear patterns in the chrome. Yes I do always oil the gas rings.  I agree and maybe im over thinking it. Just want to be sure with this being my primary go to suppressor host.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top