Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 7:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant]
I've been looking for aluminum followers for some old 20 round mags. I found some at www.johnmasen.com. Page takes a long time to load but eventually comes up.

Has anyone bought anything from these guys before? $6.95 for follower and spring seems awfully cheap.

TIA!

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with that vendor but I’m curious of the product quality.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Those look like plastic followers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought something from them before. Its been a long time and I cant even remember what it was but I don't recall any issues. I almost want to say I bought it from them in person at a gun show though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about this product, but I've bought a lot of stuff of theirs through brownells.

They have good quality 1911 stuff and I have one of their 10 round mini-30 mags
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
View Quote

As cheap as they are they just might be. Guess I'll have to order some to find out. Just want to know if anyone else has ordered from them before I give them my credit card info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#6]
From the link:

Description

"AR15 20 round magazine rebuild kit. Includes spring and aluminum follower."

"Cast aluminum AR15 20 round magazine follower."

I have an acquaintance that has probably 10 of the Masen rebuild kits, he swears that they are GTG.

I've not used them personally.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

As cheap as they are they just might be. Guess I'll have to order some to find out. Just want to know if anyone else has ordered from them before I give them my credit card info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I'll have to yoink out an aluminum follower from one of my 20's [old GI ones] and compare one to that pic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought several of those followers years ago to replace the followers in a bunch of NHMTG mags that I bought from 44mag.com.

I had feeding issues so I switched back to the black followers.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think the old ones were just a cast aluminum. They feel to slick and look to silvery. I think maybe they were one of the zinc aluminum die casting metals.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rc2:
I bought several of those followers years ago to replace the followers in a bunch of NHMTG mags that I bought from 44mag.com.

View Quote

Were the NHMTG mags 20 rounders?
Did they originally have black plastic followers?

Did the aluminum follower (pictured above) work or not work in the NHMTG mags?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rc2] [#11]
Originally Posted By OmniOrdnance:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OmniOrdnance:

The mags were 20 round NHMTG with the black plastic followers.  The aluminium followers from masen did not feed the last round in multiple mags.  

The followers looked just like some old Colt followers that I compared them to so I was surprised that they did not work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]

The mags were 20 round NHMTG with the black plastic followers.  The aluminium followers from masen did not feed the last round in multiple mags.  

The followers looked just like some old Colt followers that I compared them to so I was surprised that they did not work.
View Quote

Thanks for the good info.
I was considering ordering the same aluminum followers from Masen.
https://www.johnmasen.com/category-s/1875.htm
They also have some green plastic followers with new springs that may be worth a try.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant] [#13]
Well I went ahead and ordered four with springs. I got them to replace the M-261 .22 adapters in four mags I got in a box of stuff. Turns out I didn't need them after all as the .22 adapters drop in on top of the original 5.56 follower.

Anyway, they are in fact made of aluminum (or some type of zinc alloy) and the quality looks pretty good compared to an original Colt aluminum follower. I went ahead and installed one along with a new spring to see how it fit. Dropped right in and moves up and down like it's supposed to. I'll update this thread when I take it to the range as a previous poster said he had feeding issues with his.

Shown next to original Colt follower, the dark one on the left:

Mag with after market follower on the far right:

Adapters I was replacing:

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for all the GREAT, high quality photos!
Looking forward to your range report.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top