Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2019 9:16:51 PM EDT
Hey guys/gals,

So I was big into archery hunting from the late 90's into about 2008.  I gave it up due to the economy at the time and then most of my hunting partners moved away or died.  My wife is a worry wart so she doesn't like me to hunt alone because what if something happens, that shit has gone on long enough and has been firmly squashed. I am going solo regardless.  I have the knowledge and skill set to back country hunt even if I run into issues. I am EMT 1 certed on the first aid front.

Anyways my gear this is where I need some help, back in the day I only bought and shot the best and I realize a decade of technology may have changed the players.

Current bow is a Hoyt Vtec with cm and half cams, I am shooting 70 pound draw. I am going to pick up some Easton 5mm woodland camo full metal jacket arrows at 28 inches and due my own flecthing which I am set up for. Rest is a drop away QAD hdx and seems to be working well. Sight is a 5 pin small diameter fiber spot hog, first pin is set for 40 yards and is all I shot from zero to 40.  String is stock and is 10 years old, I used to run winners choice pre strecthed strings and they worked well for me back then as I like to run my peep sight without a stupid rubber band. I already have all the other gear spotting scopes, range finders and that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thorshammerblow] [#1]
Glad to hear you are back into it.  There is nothing like getting a good kill with your bow (although I have never killed anything with a spear or atl atl

I still remember my first archery kill-it was the most incredible rush I have ever had, I was so excited.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I got out my gear the other day after about 6 years off.

Wondering if the string is still GTG - no obvious signs it's not, but it too is ten years old, or so.

I need to re-fletch my arrows, but I hope to be drawing/releasing by next weekend!

Woo-hoo for us! LOL
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#3]
I'd replace the string and keep the 10 yr old string as a back up. Measure the length strung and brace height and write it down on a piece of paper and put it in a plastic bag with the string.... just in case.

I would always hunt solo unless my Dad was with me. Good times...
Top Top