Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2014 5:13:30 PM EDT
link

Id like to get or make an english longbow and some arrows.  I have a compound, but there is something alluring about a stick bow, especially the english longbow.
Dont know if I could even attempt to draw back one of those "war bows" with a draw weight of 100+ lbs, but i do like to watch videos of them being shot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Reseachers can tell who the archers were just by seeing the changes in the skeletons.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. Distortion of certain vertebra occurred because of the training they went through.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddler] [#3]
I used to use a bamboo longbow for a while, but only about a 55lb draw weight

Have a friends WarBow here....in the region of 120lb pull weight.
I can use it, but I'd not want to do it as a day job unless I had a LOT of training first

I suggest you get possibly the best book on the topic, which was written by an English actor - Robert Hardy - "Longbow: A Social and Military History"

I also have an replica of an older flat bow - a Mere Heath.

Make my own arrows too.
ETA: the video you linked to was interesting, but the bodkin he used was not really one designed for armour plate - He should have used one like this:

A great hobby in preparation for when we next fight the French, or the Scots (the latter may be sooner than planned when their Independence experiment goes tits up & they head south looking for plunder...)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have this DVD.  It's pretty neat, and I've done some pretty cool fletchings out of it.  If anything, it's interesting to see how they made the arrows.

http://www.thelongbowshop.com/products/Fletching-Medieval-Arrows-%252d-The-Longbow-Series-DVD.html
Top Top