Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2020 5:30:46 PM EDT
Title says it all I’ve had a desire to try learn how to competently shoot a traditional bow for a little while now I have zero archery experience

Any good brand or models?

I’m 5’10 so being generally average size can I just order online or will I have to be fitted? Is there a way to approximate the size of bow I need?

What pull weight would you guys suggest? I had it in my head that I wanted a bow that was decently powerful but in doing some googling I’m having second thoughts on that, for reference if it even matters I’m 200lbs and while I’m no gym rat I can jack hammer and do physical labor at my job all day so I’m in reasonable shape

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull weight depends on the animal hunted and state requirements.
Seems like it is measured at 28” draw. Good average is 55-60. You need a lot more practice than with a compound or even a recurve. Been ages since I shot one, so take it with a grain of salt. When I started, I had a guy take me under his wings and he ran an archery shop. I graduated to a compound, archery tournaments, and then to a crossbow due to a shoulder injury.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Pull weight depends on the animal hunted and state requirements.
Seems like it is measured at 28” draw. Good average is 55-60. You need a lot more practice than with a compound or even a recurve. Been ages since I shot one, so take it with a grain of salt. When I started, I had a guy take me under his wings and he ran an archery shop. I graduated to a compound, archery tournaments, and then to a crossbow due to a shoulder injury.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up

I actually went way lighter with a 29lb Pioneer longbow if I gain a level of competency on that and my interest hasn’t faded I’ll go heavier
Top Top