Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 2:50:07 PM EDT
I am looking to try a belt system that is more modern than my ALICE gear. I am also on a budget and in being on a budget have found three options. If I like this type of setup, I will then go all in and buy something more expensive. I want to run this with my Helikon-Tex Training Mini Rig. I really love this chest rig, but I want to have the option of more mags for my rifle on my belt. I'm thinking of 2-4 AR mags and 2 pistol mags to go with my handgun. I won't be running an IFAK since my chest rig has it all in a dangler pouch, but I may look at running an IFAK at some point just in case I don't have my chest rig on.

My options are -

Condor LCS with plastic buckle on Amazon for $32.53

Condor LCS with Cobra betl buckler on Amzon for $77.95.

Tacticon Battle Belt on Amazon $39.95 with Cobra Style Buckle.

Wolf Tactical with Cobra style buckle on Amzon for $39.95

Does anyone have experience with any of these? I'm leaning towards Condor and the plastic buckler for the price. If I like it, I can always update the buckle to a Cobra buckle down the line.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
When Tacticon was selling their belt for $15, it was by far the best deal going out there for people who wanted to try that kind of belt.  I've got one I use as a beater around the property belt.  It's decent enough for the money I spent on it.  However, laser cut molle is NOT holding up (which is a problem in general, even on decent gear.)  It works fine if you use velcro one wrap instead.

I've got a Wolf belt - a different one.  It's OK.  Just ok.  I wouldn't recommend it.  

Seriously though.  If you are doing more than a simple warbelt with a couple pistol mags and a rifle mag, etc. - save your money and buy a better belt.  Even if you are doing just a warbelt, I would save your money for a nicer belt.  You can get into a legit war belt for $100-120 or so if you shop around.  I'd look at AWS, Esstac, Blue Alpha for warbelts.

If you want to replace your Alice gear, you really need something better.  There are a few good choices out there for full on belt kit.  If you want an off the shelf set, look at Crossfire's Diz kit.  (look at the last few pages of this thread for more info on it.

If you don't want something that big (it's really adaptable) and JUST want to carry 2-4 rifle mags, some pistol mags, a handgun, etc. - you can get one of ATS's slip-on battle belts and put a good stiff duty belt to go inside it.  You will also need to add an H harness or something to go with it.  I really don't recommend this middle-ground option.  Go big or go small.  (I have a couple of these setups btw)

If you are on a real budget, send me a message.  I've got some budget belt kits somewhat similar to the Crossfire Diz kit I mentioned above.  I've got a few options I can throw at you that are both solid and budget minded.

Those above options really are the best options.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Tacticon belt off slamazon to throw some spare pouches on for a loaner rig. It's built well, but, as marnsdorff stated, laser-cut MOLLE has its limitations. For a light duty range belt, no problem. I attached all the pouches with Velcro One Wrap around the outer belt, thereby bypassing the laser-cut sections.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
I picked up a Tacticon belt off slamazon to throw some spare pouches on for a loaner rig. It's built well, but, as marnsdorff stated, laser-cut MOLLE has its limitations. For a light duty range belt, no problem. I attached all the pouches with Velcro One Wrap around the outer belt, thereby bypassing the laser-cut sections.
View Quote

Yup.  It works fine for the double ESSTAC pistol mag pouch and an old Tactical Tailor single AR mag shingle, with a folded piece of kydex for retention (poor mans ESSTAC AR mag pouch)

Anything more than that is going to be overkill.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Another couple of budget options to try…..

BAE Eclipse belt

USMC Padded War Belt
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. I will look at what has been posted and figure something out. I want to wear this with my chest rig so being able to scale it up or down would be my goal.

Can I wear suspenders with a chest rig too?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
Thanks everyone. I will look at what has been posted and figure something out. I want to wear this with my chest rig so being able to scale it up or down would be my goal.

View Quote

Scaling up and down is a good idea.  You need to have a belt and harness setup that will handle the bigger load though.  You can always scale down a bigger belt, it gets hard to scale UP a smaller belt.  

Yes, you can wear suspenders with a chest rig.  You do need to manage the straps though.  You need to figure out which one you want to wear on top - the chest rig of the belt kit.  If you are wanting to have the option to scale UP, I'd probably wear the belt kit as your MAIN load, then add the chest rig on top of it.  There will be hot summer days when you won't want that chest rig on your chest.  

You will want to factor in packs to the whole picture too.  Both assault and ruck packs.  You are now looking at putting together a complete system that works together, which gets to be a little more complicated and takes thought.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#7]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
Another couple of budget options to try ..

BAE Eclipse belt

USMC Padded War Belt
View Quote
These two options are solid choices.  I have both.  It seems that many "budget" items, including belts, that are made overseas don't use decent Mil-Spec thread.  The stitching often looks great but will not hold up over time.  This can be tolerable with small items which don't carry much weight but may lead to eventual failure with items carrying more of a load.

It appears that both linked items immediately above can have reduced cost, plastic cobra buckles retrofitted.

As for suspenders, ATS makes a good, low-profile set of suspenders at an affordable price  HERE .  Can be worn under or over a PC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raf:
These two options are solid choices.  I have both.  It seems that many "budget" items, including belts, that are made overseas don't use decent Mil-Spec thread.  The stitching often looks great but will not hold up over time.  This can be tolerable with small items which don't carry much weight but may lead to eventual failure with items carrying more of a load.

It appears that both linked items immediately above can have reduced cost, plastic cobra buckles retrofitted.

As for suspenders, ATS makes a good, low-profile set of suspenders at an affordable price  HERE .  Can be worn under of over a PC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

BAE Eclipse belt

USMC Padded War Belt

As for suspenders, ATS makes a good, low-profile set of suspenders at an affordable price  HERE .  Can be worn under of over a PC.

Is there a way of running those suspenders with an ALICE web belt?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lew:
View Quote

Same here, use one wrap and it works fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#10]

View All Quotes

BAE Eclipse belt

USMC Padded War Belt

Easiest thing would be to run strap around the ALICE belt and secure the strap (vertically) as close as possible to the belt; IOW, strap is as tight as possible around the belt.  Strap is secured horizontally by a pouch secured to the belt, whose attachments would "capture" the shoulder harness strap attachment points.  Back thread loose end of strap down through the buckle to vertically "lock" the strap.

Old-school GI method would be to add a 1" metal snap hook to each strap and secured with a 1" adjustable strap buckle   Very similar US Mil items (From WWI up to early VN) were at least heavily brass plated, and then darkened.

I advise de-greasing metal buckles and hooks and painting them appropriate color to deter rust.

By all means shop around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
FLC's are cheap and the belt makes a great battle belt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Easiest thing would be to run strap around the ALICE belt and secure the strap (vertically) as close as possible to the belt; IOW, strap is as tight as possible around the belt.  Strap is secured horizontally by a pouch secured to the belt, whose attachments would "capture" the shoulder harness strap attachment points.  Back thread loose end of strap down through the buckle to vertically "lock" the strap.

Old-school GI method would be to add a 1" metal snap hook to each strap and secured with a 1" adjustable strap buckle   Very similar US Mil items (From WWI up to early VN) were at least heavily brass plated, and then darkened.

I advise de-greasing metal buckles and hooks and painting them appropriate color to deter rust.

By all means shop around.
View Quote

You can also do a loop of paracord through the holes in the ALICE belt and tie the suspenders strap into that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
don't over look krydex - solid budget gear - a lot on Amazon

https://shop.krydex.com
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I strongly suggest suspenders to support a belt, I am kind of skinny and need one to keep my belt from sliding down gangsta style.
I got a simple nylon webbing one and it fits under my PC, can't even notice it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got the first Condor style you posted, picked it up to use as a cheap belt for trying different set ups.  The material, including the buckle,  is a bit shiny but a dusting of OD green fixed that.   I wouldn't want to go to war with it but it works fine for larping and it's cheap enough to leave set up for my .22 run and gun play belt.  I've got some Krydex stuff for basically the same reason,  see what I think of a piece of gear before buying the brand name stuff, but it too has held up to my goofing off running around with it.  I'm older and a lot more beat up than I used to be, I'm not going to be doing parkour or anything in my gear.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the exact model Wolf tactical belt you linked, except in multicam.

They run large and I had to get a medium after trying a large on the tightest setting.

Belt is comfortable and stays in place with the inner belt having a rubberized texture to it. I have two G-code pistol scorpion pouches, one AR scorpion pouch, and a dump pouch on the left side. Ifak on the back with a Glock 23 and knife on the right. Weight fully loaded doesn't feel unsupported and for me it is comfortable while moving.

Quality for the price seems quite good and the laser cut molle is stitched well and holds well too. The buckle is sturdy and does not release unless both latches are pushed. Comes as a two belt but you can add the Velcro inner belt for not much more money if you want to loop it through your pants for a more secure setup.

The belt is easy to adjust and once set with the Velcro tabs, it stays in place.

The outer belt is a 2-inch belt.

I have been happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate to be that guy, but I’ll be that guy.  Battle belt is an area you dont want to skimp on.  

I have worn a duty belt 4 days a week for the last 21 years.    That gear on your hips can cause carnage to your hips and low back.  

Spend the dime and get something good and supportive.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
I hate to be that guy, but I’ll be that guy.  Battle belt is an area you dont want to skimp on.  

I have worn a duty belt 4 days a week for the last 21 years.    That gear on your hips can cause carnage to your hips and low back.  

View Quote

What would be a belt and setup that you would recommend?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
I hate to be that guy, but I'll be that guy.  Battle belt is an area you dont want to skimp on.  

View Quote
Good advice!  This why users of most such belts should consider decent shoulder straps/harness as a required item.

IDK if many police depts will allow such shoulder straps until and unless they take a close look at personnel suffering from lower back injuries due to heavy duty belts.  If they see sufficient $$ spent due to injuries that could be prevented by a decent shoulder harness, perhaps they will reconsider.  OTOH, such a harness could cause problems when grappling with an opponent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]

What would be a belt and setup that you would recommend?
View Quote

Blue Alpha, ESSTAC, AWS, start there.  There are other really solid belts too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Good advice!  This why users of most such belts should consider decent shoulder straps/harness as a required item.

IDK if many police depts will allow such shoulder straps until and unless they take a close look at personnel suffering from lower back injuries due to heavy duty belts.  If they see sufficient $$ spent due to injuries that could be prevented by a decent shoulder harness, perhaps they will reconsider.  OTOH, such a harness could cause problems when grappling with an opponent.
View Quote

That's why I keep my battle belts super minimum, so I don't need to use suspenders.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

That's why I keep my battle belts super minimum, so I don't need to use suspenders.
View All Quotes

It's a very uncommon person who can keep their "Battle Belt" to a "Minimum" weight.  Somehow, such belts seem to "grow" in weight and items carried, hence the suggestion for suitable belt harness/suspenders.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Blue Alpha, ESSTAC, AWS, start there.  There are other really solid belts too.
View Quote

This.  As far as my experience, have used a 5.11 2.25 in duty belt for the last 4 years.  Meh. Switched over to a SafeLife defense 2 in belt a mo ago, very very pleased.  Backs doing better, rigidity is nice.  Looked at those above options, for duty use went Safelife, but for gear usage I would have no qualms about any of those above
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#24]
My duty belt is a 2 inch uncle mikes with the plastic buckle.  I've been wearing it for 20 years of wrestling homeless people in the street.  Still works fine
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go with an ATS war belt and use my ALICE belt as the inner belt for now.

How do I figure out the size of war belt that I need?
Top Top