Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 9:47:03 AM EDT
I'm headed to my home state of Alabama to visit family at the end of June. I have tried to swing by the South store 3 times now but couldn't due to time constraints. I looked online and saw what the CMP has available for online/mail order. Is that a reflection of what they have in the store? Is there any guarantee that they'll even have rifles? I have a good CAC with my E-5 rank so do I need to bring any other form of ID with me? Anything else I need to know about going there?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The South store always has inventory.  Including stuff that does not show up on the e-store.

E-5 is good since that is the minimum rank required.  CAC card covers the firearms activities and club requirements. They will have all the other paperwork required for you at the store.

Do not forget about the TMP as well.  Just in case nothing screams take me home at the S store.

Lastly watch this forum to get an idea of what will be available at the time of your visit.
CMP South Store
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By svt40:
The South store always has inventory.  Including stuff that does not show up on the e-store.

E-5 is good since that is the minimum rank required.  CAC card covers the firearms activities and club requirements. They will have all the other paperwork required for you at the store.

Do not forget about the TMP as well.  Just in case nothing screams take me home at the S store.

Lastly watch this forum to get an idea of what will be available at the time of your visit.
CMP South Store
View Quote

Only went once, a 2 hour out of the way whim.  Walked out with a new .308 Garand.  They had probably 100 rifles on the rack.

Don't think you'll have issues.  I'm not an in-state resident and my CAC was enough.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty luck-of-the-draw.  

I've been a few times, since I live nearby.  The 10% sales tax is a real kick to the groin.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Only went once, a 2 hour out of the way whim.  Walked out with a new .308 Garand.  They had probably 100 rifles on the rack.

Don't think you'll have issues.  I'm not an in-state resident and my CAC was enough.
View Quote

I'd have too many Garands if I lived that close.

I will make the drive from Texas to Anniston after getting off work on a Friday.  Leave at 1600 and arrive at 0300.  Sleep a few hours and be in line by 0730.  Hit S. store, then TMP and even maybe go back to the S store.

I am planning on going to the Pensacola air museum for a project I need pictures for and making a trip to Anniston on the way back.  Could always use another M1903.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Pros:
Can hand select the rifle(s) you like.
Can buy ammo & other stuff on site.
Get the better fitted hard case(s).

Big con:
That 10% sales tax ass kicking.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: A6BN] [#6]
You’ll need proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club to purchase rifles.

Edited to Add….looks like your military ID counts towards the affiliated club requirement.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

View Quote

This is interesting so from what I'm reading, so if I make the pilgrimage from my base in GA with my CAC to CMP in N AL even as a GA resident I can finally add a garand to my collection?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:
Pros:
Can hand select the rifle(s) you like.
Can buy ammo & other stuff on site.
Get the better fitted hard case(s).

Big con:
That 10% sales tax ass kicking.
View Quote

They have any carbine ammo?  

Limited to 480 rounds per year on the website, so guessing if I already got my allotment for the year that I would be unable to buy more at the store, even if they had it in stock......
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Niquorice:

This is interesting so from what I'm reading, so if I make the pilgrimage from my base in GA with my CAC to CMP in N AL even as a GA resident I can finally add a garand to my collection?
View Quote

Yup, your CAC or military retirement ID count as both the CMP affiliated club and marksmanship requirements.

Also, they have US Navy M1 Garands Mk0 and MkI available currently. They are pricey but at least they are known originals.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the store. They also have rifles for sale at the Range. Nothing beats handpicking a rifle that speaks to you.

Mail ordering is hit and miss.
Top Top