Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 10:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperEighteen]
I went to the Tulsa Gun Show today and picked up this RCBS 10-10 scale for $50

It even has the plastic cover.

I had to clean the knives on the beam with some steel wool and clean the bearings with alcohol but it looks to be running fine. I’ll check it to my 505 scale for a couple of loading sessions and then start using it.

Edit: spelling error in title
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Score! Did you use anything other than alcohol to clean

the agate bearings like a toothpick or small brush? I need

to do my 505 soon.
View Quote

I just used a qtip and alcohol. A very soft brush should work as well. I used 0000 steel wool to clean a little rust off of the knives.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice score! I have a 10-10 as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Nice score. In my AO, those start at $100.

I find 505's and 5-10's for $30-40 here.

I love me a funshow find.
View Quote

I passed this scale by at the November show and didn’t get it. When we left that day I was sure it sold so I didn’t go back for it.  Saw it yesterday and snapped it up. Everyone seems to want a digital scale. I have an RCBS charge master but I back it up with a beam scale. For load checking I prefer a beam scale since you just have to see the needle and not the readout
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I got one in a group item sale off the boards years ago.  I love it.  Mine appears to be the same vintage as yours with that shade of green.  My eighties vintage 5-0-5 is a fine scale too.  I also have a digital RCBS from the nineties that I don’t trust near as much.

If I ever buy another digital it’s going to be one of those auto filler ones.   I should have years ago.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#7]
Originally Posted By SuperEighteen:

I passed this scale by at the November show and didn’t get it. When we left that day I was sure it sold so I didn’t go back for it.  Saw it yesterday and snapped it up. Everyone seems to want a digital scale. I have an RCBS charge master but I back it up with a beam scale. For load checking I prefer a beam scale since you just have to see the needle and not the readout
View Quote

I bought a “used” but never used RCBS bottom pour lead furnace.  A screaming deal at a gun show.  Like a fool I passed on three Star sizers he had on the table.  In my defense I didn’t know my prices on the Stars.  I sought out that guy at the next show and they were of course gone.

Sometimes you get lucky though!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I use my 10-10 to check my digital against.  

Great scale.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice score!

I recently started using my old RCBS 505 scale again.  I cleaned it up, used some check weights on it and found it was pretty darn accurate.

I'm faster with it, a powder measure and trickler than waiting for my Chargemaster to dispense loads.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Nice score!

I recently started using my old RCBS 505 scale again.  I cleaned it up, used some check weights on it and found it was pretty darn accurate.

I'm faster with it, a powder measure and trickler than waiting for my Chargemaster to dispense loads.
View Quote

I use the beam scale to confirm the charge master. The speed of the charge master doesn’t bother me. I also use it while loading on my 550.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice.

A Rock Chucker and a 10-10 are the foundations of reloading

I have had many Dillons and still do. I have a Forster Bonanza Co-axle for decapping but those 2 RCBS products are still the cornerstones
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Love the old style methods
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Touch up the knives with a fine ceramic stone, brush the bearings with graphite.  My 505 will react ever so slightly with a grain of Varget.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By downrivertrash:
Touch up the knives with a fine ceramic stone, brush the bearings with graphite.  My 505 will react ever so slightly with a grain of Varget.
View Quote

I haven’t dusted the bearings on any scale with graphite but. I’ll give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SuperEighteen:

I haven’t dusted the bearings on any scale with graphite but. I’ll give it a try.
View Quote

I read somewhere about running a pencil with graphite along the knife edges also works well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Same here-I had a digital that would act up and continuously cycle between numbers-
I had the old 5-10 model years ago that I sold when we moved-I sure missed that scale-
So I bought a 10-10 from Academy several years ago on sale for $99.00-
You got a very good deal-
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I could have quoted most posts but yeah Rock Chucker and 10-10 the foundation of the reloader

$50 is a great price for the best.

For those that upgrade to a 1010 and want to dump your Unterscale that little brass cup goes for $25.00+ now so you might want to hold on to that. If you do sell it at a gun show tape that brass cup down. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m enjoying this scale. Looking forward to using it for a long time.
Top Top