Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2024 2:36:57 PM EDT
In the market for a beat around 22 for the truck. So, which: Ruger American, Savage MkII or Howa 1100 with pros/cons for each.  The Howa may be a little too nice, and only comes with 10-round magazines.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Marlin 60
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I am fond of CZ's .22s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NSEGE:
In the market for a beat around 22 for the truck. So, which: Ruger American, Savage MkII or Howa 1100 with pros/cons for each.  The Howa may be a little too nice, and only comes with 10-round magazines.
View Quote

The Savage MKII mags are horrible.
My MKII FVSR is one of my favorite rifles but I the mags are just plain shitty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:17:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#4]
Savage has released a 22 LR bolt action that uses a rotary magazine like used in the 10/22.  A Friend bought one but I haven’t shot it but he likes it.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=70203
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#5]
Ruger American, 10/22, 22 Charger w/ brace adapter, a used T/C 10/22 clone if you can find one, or a Winchester Wildcat, all take standard 10/22 mags.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

View Quote

I agree 100%, The MKII FVSR is an awesome rifle. Super accurate. But the mags suck. I’ve read a lot about it after I got the rifle, so you’d think Savage would know this and do something to fix them. They are just a jam o matic with a full mag. After the first round or two, they feed fine, but those first one or two cartridges don’t feed right most of the time..l
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking very hard at a ruger precision rimfire. I think it'd be very fun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I picked up a Savage heavy barrel from a pawn shop for cheap, cleaned it up inside and out..bore looks fine through a borescope.  Mounted a leupold rimfire 2-7x.  Magazine seems to work fine with dummy rounds.  I'll shoot it tomorrow early AM (no wind, but it's been blowing a gale for 2-3 days).  I adjusted the trigger down to about 1.25#. If it shoots well in the plastic stock, I'll order a trigger and Boyd's stock and go from there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Savage magazines are a limiting factor, but I have not had issues with the mags. When I did split a mag open ( the little swaged tacks on the rear spine spread and you get volcano action of the ammo out of the mag) I contacted savage and they replaced them no questions asked. Some ammo ( pretty much any American made ammo - most of which is marginal to trash anyway) is likely to give you failures to extract. I contacted savage and they sent a new extractor cartridge guide and extractor spring no problem .for a cheap $250 rifle, excellent customer service. With European match ammo ( eley,SK )no function problems.  I finally replaced the extractor spring on mine when it started acting up ( probably about 5K down the tube at this point) even with European ammo.

For the cost a better rifle than anything ruger puts out  

If I had to do it again a CZ or Tikka would get my money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
the Savage will do 3/4" at 50 yds, maybe a bit better with match ammo, so I have a Rifle Basics trigger, boyds stock and DIP bottom metal on the way.  Should (from what I've read anyway) tighten up the groups, and I have CCI std. velocity and RWS Rifle Match on hand as well.  We'll see... I probably have more fun putting something like this together than getting something that doesn't need fiddling.  Oh, and I do have a second Savage magazine that works, so maybe the magazine problems I've read about were limited to early models/certain runs?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
View Quote

They are.  Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#12]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
View Quote

I like the configuration but mine has been ho hum for precision.  I did a few tweaks so I plan to hit the range in a couple hours. If it doesn’t come around it’s going up on the club board for sale locally.

The CZ At One stocked 457 has my eye.   It’s a couple hundred more.  Alternatively I sell a few more guns and buy a Vudoo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Savage Mark II 22 LR and a Savage Mark II 17 HMR.  Both have the FV varmint barrels and synthetic stock.  I had to sand on the 17 HMR stock to get it free floated and torqued the stock screws to spec for rimfire rifles which is 15 inch pounds.   Both my Savage have Accu-Triggers and they are crowd pleasures.  My only other criteria is a decent scope with an adjustable objective.   I’m using a BSA Sweet 17 4-12 scope which has the calibrated turrets for distance.  I added cheek risers and for the money spent my Savage have been very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

I like the configuration but mine has been ho hum for precision.  I did a few tweaks so I plan to hit the range in a couple hours. If it doesn’t come around it’s going up on the club board for sale locally.

The CZ At One stocked 457 has my eye.   It’s a couple hundred more.  Alternatively I sell a few more guns and buy a Vudoo.
View Quote

I spent a few hours shooting the RPR today.  Trigger was a low setting.  Started on the front tripod rest but that forend and the bag don’t fit.  Moved to the bipod and it was somewhaT better but as I never put the pod loc on that one it was not as steady.  I did tighten the nut with my torque wrench aas that’s what I had on me.  Once firmed up there was some improvement.  Still got good groups followed by some real trashy groups.  The worst was after a ten minute break socializing with some club members. I shot a 1/2” group and when I resumed I was shooting over two inches.  Same set up, same box of ammo,   iirc that was with GECO Rifleman.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Update on the Savage mkII.  Took it out this AM, no wind and overcast.  With the Boyd's stock/D.I.P. bottom metal and Rifle basics trigger, it will do 3/8" at 50 yds with CCI Std Velocity and RWS Rifle Match, and will hold 5/8" with HV hollopoints... good enough I'd say
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a used CZ457 American Synthetic and put a 16" Acculite (whistlepig) barrel on it.  It is short, light, handy, and pretty darn accurate.  And I can put a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

View Quote

Update The Ruger had some really good groups then would spit out a bad one unexplained.  I am not quite ready to give up on it.

I looked at a CZ At One today.  It’s a heavy pig.   I think I like the 457 Varmint better.   I did not see one today though.   One was a .17 HMR AND the cZ 457 in .22 mag in the store was the euro stocked longish barrel,.....Lux I think.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Update on the Savage mkII.  Took it out this AM, no wind and overcast.  With the Boyd's stock/D.I.P. bottom metal and Rifle basics trigger, it will do 3/8" at 50 yds with CCI Std Velocity and RWS Rifle Match, and will hold 5/8" with HV hollopoints... good enough I'd say
View Quote

That’s shooting!
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I agree with the sentiment about the Savage magazine. The magazines are crap and fall apart.
Top Top