Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2022 4:32:34 PM EDT
Hey all,
I just finished an AR build that's suitable for competition and I'd like to get into 3 gun so I need to figure out my pistol and shotgun situation. Are .22 caliber pistols OK / approved for 3 gun? I found rules on sights etc but nothing that talks about caliber. Seems like a .22 would be ideal for this application. I have rimfire High Standard and Ruger pistols I'd like to use if possible. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course not all 3-gun competitions are the same, and it will depend on the specific match, but I have never shot in an organized competition that allowed the use of .22 handguns.

Almost exclusively, all the tourney's I've competed in used IDPA or IPSC rules when it came to the handguns that could be used.  It would be worth looking up IDPA and IPSC rules.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of a 3gun match that allowed anything smaller than 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the feedback!
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Most rulebooks I've seen have a minimum caliber requirement, and 99.9% of the time, its 9mm.

We allow .22 for new shooters only at my local match.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest you determine what division you want to compete in first.. I'm most familiar with Tactical Optics (names have changed) but basically allows magnified optic on choice, universally the rifle... pistol and shotgun may or may not allow a non magnified 1x dot

if your club shoots tactical matches with a lot of up/down positions and movement consider a retention holster.... pistol skill is the most difficult to acquire, and would suggest a couple of practical pistol matches prior to a multi gun match

in the early days of 3 gun, the  pistol shooters typically had an advantage, today the guy/gal (Lena M) that reloads the shotgun quickest will be on top

regards
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What pistol do you currently own in 9mm or larger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My pick would be some variation of the Sig P320…nice to just drop and go. I shoot open…use a 2011 all out race gun. If it is a heavy pistol stage…it’s definitely a advantage.
Top Top