Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2022 11:13:21 PM EDT
Our club is having a "range day" later this month with AR and pistol competitions.  One stage will be a dueling tree faceoff and wondering if there is any special strategy for shooting this.  I'm assuming that it will be two competitors with limited rounds in two mags.  

I realize that the best strategy will be to not miss, but wondering what else I can practice to get a leg up on this one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Only as fast as you are accurate.

Start at the bottom, not the top. It’s quicker and easier to use recoil to bring your sights up to the next target.

Can you get a little time to practice starting at the bottom?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot second.
Make your shots count.
Let the other guy race through it and clean up when he is finished.  

I’m assuming time is factored into the score to discourage sandbagging. If not just ruin the other guys day by making your shots count and taking easy points from him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Bring extra mags. Last time I did one neither me or my opponent missed more than a couple shots. We were testing out the argument about larger capacity magazines vs. mag changes. He had a 1911 and 8 mags. I had a Glock 21 and 5 mags. We ran out of ammo before either of us could get all 6 plates on one side.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot bottom to top. Ride the recoil up to the next one

Aim for the outside of the plates (swings them harder)

Don’t miss

Shoot in order and don’t get distracted if the other guy flips one your way
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPK:
Only as fast as you are accurate.

Start at the bottom, not the top. It’s quicker and easier to use recoil to bring your sights up to the next target.

Can you get a little time to practice starting at the bottom?
View Quote

I was wondering if starting from the bottom was such a good idea since it will also let your opponent start from the bottom.  Now that I see the other posts, it would work well if you let your opponent take the first shot.

I'll practice beforehand.  Our club has a couple of pistol only, steel bays set up with dueling tree and plate rack.  The more I think about strategy, the more I come to the conclusion that any strategy, except don't miss, will go out the window after the first shot.  Sounds like this is going to be fun!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

I was wondering if starting from the bottom was such a good idea since it will also let your opponent start from the bottom.  Now that I see the other posts, it would work well if you let your opponent take the first shot.

I'll practice beforehand.  Our club has a couple of pistol only, steel bays set up with dueling tree and plate rack.  The more I think about strategy, the more I come to the conclusion that any strategy, except don't miss, will go out the window after the first shot.  Sounds like this is going to be fun!
View Quote

Shoot your game, not your opponent’s.

Don’t wait to be the second shot, shoot on the buzzer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the starting configuration?  I'm assuming alternating plates on each side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Big thing with shooting a side by side match is staying focused on your shooting and not “peeking” at how the other guy is doing.

Usually this isn’t good advise in action shooting but tunnel vision on your side of the tree will help you.

As others have said aim for the outside of the paddle and don’t go to war with one paddle… if you throw a couple misses transition to another paddle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Wanted to fallow up with how it went yesterday.  They guy that won the match did so by waiting for the other shooters to use up their ammo.  I almost had him with only one plate left, but he had more ammo left than I did.  We all shot with 10 rounds and was fun watching how 20 other shooters shot the tree.
Top Top