Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2023 3:57:53 PM EDT
What's a good factory flight control type load with birdshot?
Shooting an un-choked 930 spx.
Had an issue with a steel popper at the end of the bay, had to hit it several times to get it to fall.
Ran out of ammo on a stage for the first time because of it...

Would load it up for poppers and long clays and keep using Estate 7.5s for the close stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No suggestions? 😅
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Steel shot is lighter. Drop 2 shot sizes to compare to lead.
Your question is ambiguous.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:13:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunCat] [#3]
I don't know that Federal has any birdshot Flitecontrol loads in their catalog. A high quality target load like the Remington STS or Winchester AA might hold a little tighter pattern than the Estate but it really comes down to your barrel's lack of choke constriction.

Have you considered having your barrel threaded for screw in choke tubes?. Improved Cylinder to Light Modified constriction will put you on a more even field with most other competitors.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
Steel shot is lighter. Drop 2 shot sizes to compare to lead.
Your question is ambiguous.
View Quote

Shooting steel shot at a steel target would be ill advised.

What was ambiguous?
I want a lead bird shot load with less spread from a cylinder bore than standard 7.5/8 field load.
The target in question is a steel pistol popper that needs more lead on it to tip over reliably.
Don't want to give up the spread the rest of the stage.
Short of wax slugs or reloading myself with flight control wads...
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:47:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunCat:
I don't know that Federal has any birdshot Flitecontrol loads in their catalog. A high quality target load like the Remington STS or Winchester AA might hold a little tighter pattern than the Estate but it really comes down to your barrel's lack of choke constriction.

Have you considered having your barrel threaded for screw in choke tubes?. Improved Cylinder to Light Modified constriction will put you on a more even field with most other competitors.
View Quote

All the "right" answers for sure
I do have an extra barrel that i could get choked...
I machined off the front rifle sight on the one in the gun now, and added a XS front post. Liking that so far.  
Other than clipping the handguard and a Mikulek lifter so i can keep my thumbnails attached it's all stock.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Something to try.
Federal makes it in 7.5, 6 and 5.
Will see how it patterns before i get too carried away.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
federal has turkey loads with them
All-New Turkey Loads With FLITECONTROL FLEX
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Slower loads pattern tighter.  Couple that with a good high antimony shot and it will be even tighter; more so with a larger diameter shot.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Are there any regs to the type of shot and choke you can use ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't see any birdshot loads that use FliteControl wads in the Federal lineup. Turkey loads, yeah. Don't think you wanna shoot steel or BB size shot at steel plates.

Choke tubes.
Top Top