Posted: 8/6/2022 9:43:57 PM EDT

Which pistol?

Which optic?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
in for the debates
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
For Carry, or for Competition? You're int he competition forum.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a holosun 407K on my P365XL and I am very happy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have converted to almost exclusively Holosun for new optics purchases. They are well built and economical. They also have terrific battery life, which is not a gimmick despite what people say.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
For Carry, or for Competition? You're int he competition forum.
View Quote

Competition.

Which is why I posted it in the competition forum.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I am an Iron sight guy, but for things like 22  steel matches, the cmore is pretty hard to beat.I just  bought my son a leupold deltapointpro for his new buckmark
The reviews are wonderful on the leupy,time will tell I guess
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Competition.

Which is why I posted it in the competition forum.

View Quote

You're the first person I've ever heard someone refer to a competition optic as a carry optic.

In that case though, SRO is the obvious answer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I have a holosun 407K on my P365XL and I am very happy.
View Quote

Same here. I don’t know what could make for a better dot, although I’d like an acss reticle on a k sized holosun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

You're the first person I've ever heard someone refer to a competition optic as a carry optic.

In that case though, SRO is the obvious answer.
View Quote

Carry optic is a division in Uspsa…
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
In carry optics, the SRO is where most have gone.  Right now, using the 2.5moa SRO (on a p320 x5 legion), but would like to replace it with a 5moa.  I've only played a little bit with the Romeo 3 - it's huge and a great dot, but have some concerns over reliability of the electronics.  Most dudes running that have backups.  

There are some other off brand dots that are supposed to be pretty good, but I have zero experience with them other than having seen photos.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rush4theYehO:
In carry optics, the SRO is where most have gone.  Right now, using the 2.5moa SRO (on a p320 x5 legion), but would like to replace it with a 5moa.  I've only played a little bit with the Romeo 3 - it's huge and a great dot, but have some concerns over reliability of the electronics.  Most dudes running that have backups.  

There are some other off brand dots that are supposed to be pretty good, but I have zero experience with them other than having seen photos.
View Quote

How long have you had the Legion?

How many rounds?

Rating 1 to 10?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]

How long have you had the Legion?

How many rounds?

Rating 1 to 10?
View Quote

Picked it up almost last November, sitting around 8k rounds at this point.  I like it, did take some trigger work, and still trying to figure out a more permanent solution than talon grips.  Mags are pricey, but the good news is that the x5 legion is one of the two most popular Carry Optics guns, so accessories are everywhere.  

Either you're shooting DA/SA with a shadow 2, or running striker fired with the x5 legion.  IMO, almost everything else is a step down in terms of overall viability.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Picked it up almost last November, sitting around 8k rounds at this point.  I like it, did take some trigger work, and still trying to figure out a more permanent solution than talon grips.  Mags are pricey, but the good news is that the x5 legion is one of the two most popular Carry Optics guns, so accessories are everywhere.  

Either you're shooting DA/SA with a shadow 2, or running striker fired with the x5 legion.  IMO, almost everything else is a step down in terms of overall viability.
View Quote

Thx
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#14]
In all the matches I go to, the top 2 guns in Carry Optics are:  

CZ Shadow 2

Sig X5 Legion

Top optics are:

Trijicon SRO

Sig Romeo 3 Max or XL

Honorable mention:

Canik Rival

Leupold Deltapoint Pro
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit338] [#15]
RMR on a tricked out Glock still has more capability than me.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Comped/ported midsize with an RMR, SRO, or Holosun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Comped/ported midsize with an RMR, SRO, or Holosun.
View Quote

No comps or ports in Carry Optics, USPSA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]

No comps or ports in Carry Optics, USPSA.
View Quote

I didn’t realize I was in the competition forum…

I thought OP was literally talking about ccw guns with optics.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I was shooting an old beat up Glock 17 with an SRO.

The optic is worth more than the gun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
According to the 2021 nationals survey, for Carry Optics, 38% were shooting Sig, 24% CZ, and 15% Glock.

42% were using a Trijicon optic, 27% Sig, and 13% Leupold.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:
According to the 2021 nationals survey, for Carry Optics, 38% were shooting Sig, 24% CZ, and 15% Glock.

42% were using a Trijicon optic, 27% Sig, and 13% Leupold.
View Quote

Outstanding

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I am currently running a Gen5 Glock 34 with SRO. Its my first year running an optic. I really like it, the accuracy has come, but I am not fast by any means with it. When I shot SSP, I usually ranked in the top third. Now I'm middle of the second third. I recently shot a Sig 320 Xseries and am in the process of acquiring one, for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Carry optic is a division in Uspsa…
View Quote

And IDPA.

SRO is what I’m running.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#24]
It really seems regional, maybe mostly by state.  In my state, Shadow 2 is king, most people running SRO's.  No one shoots tanfolio.  

Other areas you go to Tanfo and Sig Legions might be really popular.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]
CO nationals finished up today.

Canik and Beretta were the top two. Apparently it is the indian not the arrow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kenndogg] [#26]
Sig p320 or Canik as far as strikers go
Shadow 2 if DA/SA is your flavor
Still plenty of Glock 17 too

Optics I see is either Trijicon SRO, Sig Romeo Max, or Holosun 507C and some Leupold DDP
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Why is the M&P 2.0 absent from these lists?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#28]
For me it would be a G17

I prefer the Holosun 508T or 509T with X300U since that’s what I carry for work

If I was doing a competition only gun I’d go with SRO

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Around here most of us run a Glock 34 with the SRO. Seen a few Sigs but the 34/SRO seems to be dominant.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I started my journey last June with a Gen 5 G17. Put in a timney trigger, brass speed feed, Taran Tactical striker and safety plunger springs, tungsten guide rod, Wilson combat match barrel, and had an RMR as an optic. Used Glock mags with Taran +5 base pads. Ran that through local matches and one level II match. Made B class one year later. Didn’t shoot much this summer because of work, weather, and home projects. But decided to change guns.

Bought a Shadow 2 optics ready. Sent it to Cajun gun works. DA pull is 4.1lbs SA pull is 2.1lbs. Have a 5MOA SRO on it. Guy at Cajun said do nothing else to it. I asked if he was sure. He said yeah, it’s a CZ. He wasn’t lying. Still working the DA prep through presentation. I’m used to a striker gun or my staccato, but it’s coming nicely. 2 weeks ago had a division stage win second overall (overall win for that stage was a master in production). Much improvement by moving up in the gun world.

Bought my son one as well. A friend was selling his since he moved to open and got the same as mine (except he had some slide cuts and some parts TiN coated) almost same trigger pull weights and same optic. Son is 15 and was shooting a shadow with a DPP and notices the difference and improvement this gun is over the other one.

Yes, I agree, archer over arrows to an extent. I would however prefer to have better arrows and work my way to them. Than limit myself based on them. By no means had I maxed the Glock out, but the ceiling is higher with the Shadow.

Just my thoughts and experiences.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSG] [#31]
The M&P is too light. I started with an M&P and Deltapoint in CO (both Idpa and USPSA).

All our local M's and GM's are shooting Shadow 2's or 320 X5 with a SRO on top except 2. Those 2 are still shooting the steel frame Walther and it can be a great choice but at $1700ish, I opted for a bone stock 320 X5 with an SRO.

I have been shooting it about a year off and on (I still like single stack) and have had zero issues in over 6000 rounds and a good bit of dry fire.

If you already have everything for a Shadow 2 an like using it, that is the way to go. If you are going to be buying pretty much everything (holster, mags, and such), you might want the Sig.

You may not care but you have to remove the mag well on the X5 for USPSA. Super easy to do and not a big deal in my book.

BTW - I hate every other Sig I ever shot but I really like the X5. The location of the controls is bothersome for me on the classic Sigs. They are no issue on the X5.
The X5 is also laser accurate with my 131 PF handloads.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Why is the M&P 2.0 absent from these lists?
View Quote

It never seemed popular in Production either when I was still shooting. I didn’t like mine but don’t really know why just that I didn’t like it. I know that doesn’t help.

Those optic ready Shadow’s would be the way I’d go I think. I love Sigs but also love DA/SA.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JSG:
The M&P is too light. I started with an M&P and Deltapoint in CO (both Idpa and USPSA).

All our local M's and GM's are shooting Shadow 2's or 320 X5 with a SRO on top except 2. Those 2 are still shooting the steel frame Walther and it can be a great choice but at $1700ish, I opted for a bone stock 320 X5 with an SRO.

I have been shooting it about a year off and on (I still like single stack) and have had zero issues in over 6000 rounds and a good bit of dry fire.

If you already have everything for a Shadow 2 an like using it, that is the way to go. If you are going to be buying pretty much everything (holster, mags, and such), you might want the Sig.

You may not care but you have to remove the mag well on the X5 for USPSA. Super easy to do and not a big deal in my book.

BTW - I hate every other Sig I ever shot but I really like the X5. The location of the controls is bothersome for me on the classic Sigs. They are no issue on the X5.
The X5 is also laser accurate with my 131 PF handloads.
View Quote

Any issues with the X5 and SRO? Are they running a plate or direct mount?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Spartan24:

Any issues with the X5 and SRO? Are they running a plate or direct mount?
View Quote

I'm using a Springer Precision adapter plate and a healthy amount of blue locktite. No issues.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I have both the CHPWS and Springer Precision plate. I like the CHPWS plate much better than the Springer plate. The Springer puts the optic higher and felt unnatural to me. It’s probably better for shooter used to a frame mounted optic open gun or dovetail optic mount.

Comparison, angles are slightly off but should give you an idea.

CHPWS

Springer
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RazorEdge] [#36]

View Quote

That's what I see at local matches here too.  

I started with a 320 Legion, I've since switched to a Shadow 2.  I do better with it.  

Guys in the club matches do pretty well with both.  

Main Optics seem to be the SRO or the Romeo Max.  Honorable mention to the DPP.   A couple guys use tactical toasters and there's an RMR-sized Trijicon or Holosun here and there.

There are a few Glocks and a walther or two.  They never win.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Great info. I really thought holosun would make a stronger showing in competition guns. SRO’s are where it’s at I guess.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Holosun field of view is too small on their early offerings so most went with a Romeo MAX or a SRO from the beginning and see no reason to switch.

I still have a 507 on my M&P as a backup. I shot it in a match a month ago. I was doing OK with it after the first two stages but it reminded me why I like the SRO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Great info. I really thought holosun would make a stronger showing in competition guns. SRO’s are where it’s at I guess.
View Quote

Holosun has been teasing something similar to the SRO, I expect to see more about it at Shot.

Right now SRO is the best option - it may not be the most rugged option, but most competition guns aren't getting handled like duty guns.

I run an SRO on my P320.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:12:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#40]
I run a CZ Shadow2 with SRO. I had a 320 Legion with SRO which is a fine pistol but didn’t do anything the CZ did.

I also have built up a CZ P10F OR with SRO and it is a very capable pistol.  Very minimal upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
I run a CZ Shadow2 with SRO. I had a 320 Legion with SRO which is a fine pistol but didn’t do anything the CZ did.

I also have built up a CZ P10F OR with SRO and it is a very capable pistol.  Very minimal upgrades.
View Quote

I tried a P10F OR with a DP on top. It was OK but I could never get the trigger where I wanted it (below 4 pounds). What mods did you make?
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:19:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bklyn_Irish] [#42]
Oooops
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JSG:

I tried a P10F OR with a DP on top. It was OK but I could never get the trigger where I wanted it (below 4 pounds). What mods did you make?
View Quote
Apex sear should do it.  Also the Cajun striker kit with their lighter striker spring will help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I shoot what I carry at work.

G17.5 direct milled for Holosun 508T
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 4:08:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#45]
The used market value collapse of gucci CZs and Sigs and subsequent screeching is going to epic when USPSA finally allows 2011’s into carry optics (or some facsimile thereof).

Real world carrying of 2011 (and other SA double stack 9mm) with optics is getting pretty dang popular.  They can’t ignore it much longer

Handgun Divisions should be:
Open (170mm, major/minor)
Limited Irons (140mm, major/minor)
SAO Carry Optic (140mm, minor)
DA/SA Carry Optic (140mm, minor)
SAO Carry Irons (15rnd, major/minor)
DA/SA Carry Irons (15rnd, major/minor)
Revolver (6rnd major, 8rnd minor)
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#46]
The used market value collapse of gucci CZs and Sigs and subsequent screeching is going to epic when USPSA finally allows 2011’s into carry optics (or some facsimile thereof).

Real world carrying of 2011 (and other SA double stack 9mm) with optics is getting pretty dang popular.  They can’t ignore it much longer

View Quote

USPSA had to make a facebook post telling people to chill out about Limited Optics. The funny part is the picture they put up is no chill so everyone was confused.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Know most of my matches I go to I see CZ shadows, Sig 320 with the tungsten infused grip, or a Glock 17or 34.  Optic wise mostly Romeo, SRO, and some holosuns.  Personally I’m running a Glock 34 gen 5mos with an 2.5 Mia SRO in uspsa carry optics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

So what would be the difference between an open gun and SAOCO? Seems a comp, minor only, and frame mounted dot would be the only difference. How is that worth making a new division? I bet nothing changes anytime soon. Of course Limited 10 does still exist so I might be very wrong...
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#49]
The used market value collapse of gucci CZs and Sigs and subsequent screeching is going to epic when USPSA finally allows 2011's into carry optics (or some facsimile thereof).

Real world carrying of 2011 (and other SA double stack 9mm) with optics is getting pretty dang popular.  They can't ignore it much longer

View Quote

My proposal is:
Open as-is
Limited as-is
CO as-is
SAO CO
Locap - combine SS, Prod, L10, Revo.  Major scoring if you shoot 8 rounds, minor for 10.

Alternative proposal would be to allow slide ride optic in Limited, but you must shoot minor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#50]
What is the pistol differences between Limited CO and CO?  Seemingly a magwell?  If so, just allow SA and magwells in CO.  

CO will continue to be dominant in the sport in the future.  

Personally I think the magazine capacity should have not been changed to 140mm mags.  Just changed from 10 to 15 round capacity.  That horse is out of the barn now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top