Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/1/2024 10:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy]
One just happened to me tonight.  I just walked in from the barber 5 minutes ago and it's 9:50pm.    Why in the world is my barber open at nearly 10pm on a Wednesday night?  He isn't.  

A family friend passed away and tomorrow is the funeral.  I tried to book an appointment with him 2 days ago but he is full up, so he told me to come in and get my hair cut at 8:30pm tonight.  I said aren't you closed by then?  He said yep, but I will meet you at the store and get you squared away for the funeral.  We then talked about an old man that he doesn't know for the next hour.  A war vet that he will never meet. He was interested in his life, what kind of man he was and how I knew him.   We talked about him for over an hour...because that's how long my barber spent on my beard and hair and that shit looks fucking perfect.  From the hot towel to the straight razor, the clippers and scissors, not a single hair was missed and time was not a concern for him.

My barber is a good man, in small town, who goes above and beyond for his customers.  I am more than sure that if I lived in a big city and my options were 23 super cuts and 87 designer hair studios...fucking zero of them would have told their wife that they were going to miss dinner that night. Because an old man who he didn't know died and customer needed trimmed up.

Share with me your stories of living in small town.  Things which people that don't, will never understand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
People wave at the people driving around town. Go through the parking lot at the store and see that people still just leave the keys in the ignition.  Can't get out of the grocery store under 30 minutes because you keep running into people that want to talk. I have lived in this town since 1984. It's a good place.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Cows loose and tractors
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Taken by me in my small town
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice examples.

I have never lived in a small town.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawmonkey] [#5]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
One just happened to me tonight.  I just walked in from the barbar 5 minutes ago and it's 9:50pm.    Why in the world is my barbar open at nearly 10pm on a Wednesday night?  He isn't.  

A family friend passed away and tomorrow is the funeral.  I tried to book an appointment with him 2 days ago but he is full up, so he told me to come in and get my hair cut at 8:30pm tonight.  I said aren't you closed by then?  He said yep, but I will meet you at the store and get you squared away for the funeral.  We then talked about an old man that he doesn't know for the next hour.  A war vet that he will never meet. He was interested in his life, what kind of man he was and how I knew him.   We talked about him for over an hour...because that's how long my barbar spent on my beard and hair and that shit looks fucking perfect.  From the hot towel to the straight razor, the clippers and scissors, not a single hair was missed and time was not a concern for him.

My barbar is a good man, in small town, who goes above and beyond for his customers.  I am more than sure that if I lived in a big city and my options were 23 super cuts and 87 designer hair studios...fucking zero of them would have told their wife that they were going to miss dinner that night. Because an old man who he didn't know died and customer needed trimmed up.

Share with me your stories of living in small town.  Things which people that don't, will never understand.
View Quote

Cut my toe wide open on a Saturday.  The hospital was 45min away.

Went to the Docs house and knocked on the front door.

Him and his 10 year old son took me to his office, opened it up, and him and his 10 year old son stitched me up.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I needed my mail forwarded to Co. from my place. I called Ronita at the PO and asked if she'd do it. "Sure". I asked if she wanted a credit card and she said " naw just pay me when you get back".

My State Trooper listens to me and saves lives by running radar at a BAD BAD BAD place near our place. Think school bus full of kids and an 18 wheeler turning on its side at 70 MPH bad.

After 15 years I'm eligible for OUR road to be surfaced to my gate. I'm thrilled.

One of the AG kids waved at me the other day. I'd made a small donation to his class and it was nice to be recognized.

"Please keep wearing your pistol" when you come in here. Hmmm
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
People wave at you driving past... total strangers. Less so in town or on paved roads but my general rule I've adopted is if I am on dirt road then wave to anyone you pass they generally do the same and it's not usually a reactionary wave because one of us does it first.

It's like a jeep wave only it applies to any vehicle except maybe Subarus or out of state plates.

I can also call and rent a piece of equipment like a dozer or excavator and it shows up on my property without signing a single thing or paying a cent until I'm done with it and it's already been picked up.

Some things in life are worth amazon deliveries taking a week.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked summers in college at a hardware store in a small town. Easiest job ever, the customers knew where everything was, and were all great to deal with. I learned more from them than they did from me All I had to do was keep everything in stock and custom order stuff in by request. Looking back, it was a great time. I did close on most nights, and while it wasnt great time-wise since I got home at 10pm, walking out the door to a cool night after a hot summer day was one of my more fond memories. When the lights shut off, the stars overhead really shined, and sometimes I would just sit back in my car and look at them and wonder. Life was simple-work a 8hr shift and come home. No bills or worries at all. That was for classes next semester.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting ready to move to a town of 300 people. I'm so ready. This border shit is getting worse.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gillig636] [#12]
This just happened Sunday night.
An airplane (Cessna 172 I think) crashed on the main drag at 2359 hrs.
Nobody noticed until after 0100.
The pilot survived but sat in his plane bleeding for an hour before help arrived.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What the fuck is a "barbar"?
You ancient Greek or Roman now?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#14]
I'll just cut to the chase, how's your father/grandfather? Haven't seen them in awhile.?

They were grilling you for you or your associates for known youthfull indiscretion's. They knew who the usual suspects were they, just wanted hear you admit it.

Sorry discombobulated,  but these were common questions in my youth.

My father is/was a very shrewd and wise man. He made both of his children either buy a brand new off the lot vehicle,  or a heap that he did a 100 point inspection on made us rebuild with sweat equity. I was a dumbass. I should have picked the honda Accord with the blown head gasket!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Everything closes by 8pm

Nothing open Sundays

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a new house and you already know all your neighbors. Before you move in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Staggunner] [#18]
I remember a story in the paper from about 30 years ago.  A migrant got drunk at the county fair
and got in a ruckus.  The cops were called, he ran a couple of blocks to a parking lot and crawled
under a car.  There, brandishing a knife he made his stand.  The cops, not wanting to shoot him
decided he wasn't really a threat to anyone, and just left him there.  End of story.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My Dad went to his local post office and bought stamps and two Turkey sandwiches from the same lady.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#20]
General store down the road still rents dvds. It’s in a lot building.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
People wave at you driving past... total strangers. Less so in town or on paved roads but my general rule I've adopted is if I am on dirt road then wave to anyone you pass they generally do the same and it's not usually a reactionary wave because one of us does it first.

It's like a jeep wave only it applies to any vehicle except maybe Subarus or out of state plates.

I can also call and rent a piece of equipment like a dozer or excavator and it shows up on my property without signing a single thing or paying a cent until I'm done with it and it's already been picked up.

Some things in life are worth amazon deliveries taking a week.
View Quote

I was in your fine state quite a few years back. We were fueling with our rig and a handsome 37 year old native nodded at me while he fueled as well. I said it was "beautiful up here" and later asked if they were as pissed off as we were at what was going on on DC? He said " absolutely". I knew then I was in a grand part of the world.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a new pick up truck in Detroit with the intention of driving it back to Alaska. I stopped in South Dakota and hunted for two weeks and I noticed that the Michigan temporary tags were about to run out. I mentioned it to the people I was staying with, old Alaskans and they told me To call Elaine at the DMV. I called the DMV in Kodiak Talkeyto Elaine, she said no problem what’s your vin  .I told her the vin she said do you have a fax machine I said sure, she faxed me temporary tags and told me just come in when you get back
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Caught my old lady dog making out with a cow through the fence. Pretty sure she just wanted a taste of steak before it was cooked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
The town weirdo. Every town has at least one. The town I grew up in had at least 2. The town weirdo usually has a name that everyone else refers to them as that isn't their given name. There was a meme about it not too long ago that said something like "every city has a guy they all know about. You see a guy in robes riding a horse and ask your friend about it and they say oh that's just horseback Jesus."
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#26]
When I moved my family here, the wife lost the sealing o-ring on a blender.  I said the local hardware store probably has it, so my daughter jumps on her bike and rides there to ask.  She was back in 10 minutes saying he didn't have one.  Just then the phone rings (we had been here two weeks) and the guy says "Send her down again, I found it!"  She hadn't told them who she was or where she lived.  He said "You are the new family.....I just called the old number to the house, they never change them."

I few years later, my son and his friend were driving through the neighboring town (2 miles away) when the only constable lights them up as they approach him.  They stop, roll down the window and the constable asks "Are you boys selling firewood this year?  I need 4 cords."

Walking around town, I have seen deer (whitetail & muley), elk, moose, black bear, mountain lion, bobcats, coyotes, turkey, grouse, quail and bald eagles as well as other critters.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
What the fuck is a barbar?

There are people on this forum who should not own electronics, of any kind.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
View Quote

No shit
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a lot of small town stories.

I think my favourite is when my wife and I were in a very small town band in NH, playing at a town festival, and John Edwards
walked through like he was a god campaigning.

The VERY liberal band director/conductor laid into him about encroaching on the bands time and told him off, everyone nodded and kept playing, different times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Depending on the city\ location, there are 24 hour barber shops.   Not to mention (for women especially ) the zillion hair salons in the coverted home office or finished basement.    Nice example, bad comparison.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#31]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Precious87:

I apologize for the misspellings of the word and thank you for pointing it out.  I have corrected them.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#32]

I apologize for the misspellings of the word and thank you for pointing it out.  I have corrected them.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Precious87:

Small town folk don't care about slight misspellings either. There are more important things at hand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Almost 50 years ago a member of the commune I lived in moved to Hawaii, she mailed us some local.....agricultural product. It was mailed to several of us by first name only (like Larry, Daryl, Daryl and McGuy) with no street address. PO delivered it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#34]
Before delivering papers, I'd ride down to the local bakery and the ladies would give me a free warm donut, tho every time I offered to pay. If it had snowed I would shovel their side walk and entrance. When warmer I knew where the broom was and I'd sweep up out front. After they realized it was me they insisted I take two donuts.

I'd head across the street, the service station had a pop machine out front for the public.  But the one in back was for employees and was something nominal like a nickel or dime.

I'd pick up pizza for a team I coached banquet, and every year the pizza shop owner would ask me why I needed so many pizzas. I'd tell him then he'd make a big deal about how he couldn't charge me. We'd argue good-naturedly, then I'd look at the Church donation jar he had on the counter and say "If you won't take it maybe the Church could use it". He'd nod then throw in a cold six pack of Root Beer.

It's a wonder any of these biz could stay afloat

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Can walk across main street at rush hour and no cars are coming

Town is 297 people
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Real cowboys complete with mud and spurs standing in line at Whataburger during lunchtime.

Seeing horses tied to the railing in front of the local convenience store isn’t unusual, either.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#37]
At the supermarket, after dark. An older lady driving a land whale of a car has a flat, and no jack. I'm one of 3 guys who stop to help. Four others driving by asked if we had it under control.
I had a suitable jack so the 3 of us got her on the road. THAT is community, and I'm glad to be a part of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Everything closes by 85pm

Nothing open Sundays Saturdays or Sundays

View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Badlatitude] [#39]
Horses tied out at McDonald's

To clarify that's in the nearest "city" our town consists of a part time post office and a volunteer fire dept.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#40]
My favorite small town has the convenience store, the grocery store, the gas station, and the post office all in the same building.

For the sake of the populace, I won't disclose the name.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I walk into my bank  and they know me by name and my account numbers.  And I'm just an old retired working class guy, but have been a customer for over forty years.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#42]
My kid had a medical emergency at the school. I had faculty calling me immediately cause they have my personal contact information on their phones. No one had to run to the office and dig up information.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Cows loose and tractors
View Quote

If that's the biggest problems we have (and I have seen both), I'll take it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#44]
Someone robbed the bank in a town of 300 people that I live close to. Cops found them on the side of the road out of gas. They didn't have enough gas to make it to the next place to get gas.

Other than a bank it had a small store that was also the checkout for the feed store next door. A cafe and a post office. That's pretty much all you need I guess lol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#45]
Vacation home in BFE northern Ontario. I needed excavator work done and asked at the general store who I should call. They hooked me up with Alex who cameout and looked at the job. 45 minutes to understand the job and an hour of friends talking about how much Trudeau sucks. $10k job contracted with no down-payment but a handshake.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#46]
You actually know your neighbors. I'm always surprised at how many people on this forum say that they dont know anyone who lives around them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Mothers day morning about 6 am.

My 8 year old is running up the sidewalk and his brother trips him.  His forehead hits the corner of the brick house.  Huge cut, blood everywhere.

We run down to our neighbors house. He is a plastic surgeon. He is drinking coffee and reading the paper.

He jumps right up and heads to his office to stitch up my son.

Of course there is no bill for service.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#48]
OP would enjoy reading Jayber Crow
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#49]
The burros will come into town and beg for treats and live music on the town bandstand in the park.

They don’t teach drivers ed and sex ed on the same day because the donkey gets too tired.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By cb69:
People wave at the people driving around town. Go through the parking lot at the store and see that people still just leave the keys in the ignition.  Can't get out of the grocery store under 30 minutes because you keep running into people that want to talk. I have lived in this town since 1984. It's a good place.
View Quote

Leaving your keys in your car and your house unlocked will change

No where is safe anymore

The communist have and will spread crime everywhere. With their section 8 dispersals of city people , and now illegals

They are moving the scum everywhere , destroying formerly nice areas.

I had a female city person try to rent one of my rental houses. Bitch had a $2500 voucher. Like wtf. Average rent is around $1500.  
So if you see one of those city people in a nice neighborhood driving a nice car don’t assume they are the exception and a hard working type. Still most likely a welfare rat with a $10-20k German car.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top