User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2024 3:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyninja]

And then they wonder why people don’t wanna work for them
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
From my experience, if you bust your ass and show initiative and prove yourself, you get promoted to better paying jobs.
Gen Z thinks they get to come in the door and be senior management on day 1.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If there was ever a FPNI, this is it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In America the income of the average Zoomer, after adjusting for taxes and transfers, comfortably exceeds that of a millennial or a Gen X-er at the same age, in real terms.
View Quote

True, housing affordability has worsened since the 1980s.  But, thanks to Gen Z-ers’ stronger wage growth, house prices as a multiple of earnings are roughly where they were for millennials a decade ago. And young people today are at least able to put more of their salaries into savings.
View Quote

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2024/04/18/reasons-to-be-cheerful-about-generation-z
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
From my experience, if you bust your ass and show initiative and prove yourself, you get promoted to better paying jobs.
View Quote

It is possible that, sometimes, both of your statements can be true at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:25:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grendelbane] [#5]
 And young people today are at least able to put more of their salaries into savings.    
View Quote

This is a huge improvement over the way things used to be.  I was lucky, started working a job in 1974 that offered profit sharing.  I remember literally every one telling me I would be screwed out of it.  Well, I retired in 2022, and it is all in my brokerage account right now.  The changes made over the years were the result of government, not my employer.  I would have had even more if I had been able to stay with the original program.  In 1997, we finally got a 401k, also.  Many people around my age didn't have either, it has indeed gotten better over the years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#6]
View Quote
$7.25 an hour is not a survivable wage in 2024.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Love these threads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
View Quote

It's the "minimum" for a reason and that reason isn't to guarantee everybody a cush lifestyle for working at mcdonald's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I don't know how my subordinates are managing at $20/hr. I'm not living high on the hog at $30.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#10]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

It's the "minimum" for a reason and that reason isn't to guarantee everybody a cush lifestyle for working at mcdonald's.
View Quote
Everything you just said doesn't matter. The fact is that $7.25 an hour is not a survivable wage. That's why kids opted out of working for that price, and that's why entry level wage cuck jobs generally offer well above that now.

After we deport all of the illegals, they'll have to pay even more, and the boomer tears will be satisfying.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Cush?  Really?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

In my experience if you bust your ass, show initiative  and prove yourself to the right people you get better paying jobs or promotions

If you aren’t seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

I am a gen x and that has been my experience in both private and public sector.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JMD:

In my experience if you bust your ass, show initiative  and prove yourself to the right people you get better paying jobs or promotions

If you aren’t seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

View Quote

Or someone else takes the credit and you find out after it is too late.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]

If you aren't seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

View All Quotes

If you aren't seen or known by the right people it does not mean shit about those qualities or how hard you work.

In my experience it is more about who you know and who you impress than it is what you do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:
I don't know how my subordinates are managing at $20/hr. I'm not living high on the hog at $30.
View Quote

I’m not living high on the hog at $57 per hour…
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Most places I've worked at busting your ass and proving yourself just meant more work. Promotion was typically unrelated to busting your ass. Just because someone is a hard worker doesn't mean they're management material, and in many cases that's the only path for increased pay.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Everything you just said doesn't matter. The fact is that $7.25 an hour is not a survivable wage. That's why kids opted out of working for that price, and that's why entry level wage cuck jobs generally offer well above that now.

After we deport all of the illegals, they'll have to pay even more, and the boomer tears will be satisfying.
View Quote

How do you even find a job paying that much? Seems like everywhere around here is posting help wanted signs at $15+ an hour.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

How do you even find a job paying that much? Seems like everywhere around here is posting help wanted signs at $15+ an hour.
View Quote
I know, I already addressed that. This thread is about making fun of the minimum wage though, which federally is still $7.25.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

From my experience those places are hard to find. Usually you busy your ass, you get a "generous" raise of $0.05/hr and doubled responsibilities.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
You work = you get paid.

You work hard, do a good job, and show interest and ready to do more = you get promoted and paid more.

Never was a secret and always been that way.

Want special treatment and fast promotions you didn't work for or earn? = go work for your Mom and Dad.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#21]
In my experience it is more about who you know and who you impress than it is what you do.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]
The whole idea of “stick with the company and get promoted to earn more” has been complete bs in my experience. The only meaningful way my income has increased has been jumping companies every couple years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:40:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#23]

View Quote

What exactly are you getting for $1,160 a month (160 hours worked, which is probably not happening these days) pre-tax income?

"Lifestyle"

That wouldn't pay for a car payment, insurance, gas, and 25% of your grocery bill for the month in 2024, no matter how frugal you are.

I worked at McDonalds for six months at the end of high school/beginning of college. My starting pay was $5.65 an hour... in 2007.

Here's their menu prices from the same timeframe:

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:44:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#24]
View Quote

Why have liberals not insisted minimum wage pace (even horseshit made up) inflation numbers?

What was it pre-Covid?
Or 2016?
ETA: lol it was $7.25 in 2016
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Which tells me that the market is better at setting wages than the government is.  A federal minimum wage law always did seem to be a violation of the 10th amendment to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
why wood got dayum mils do this?

@killerb6
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Genx here simply not the way the world works anymore which is the problem. Bust your ass show initiative and prove yourself all you get us more work, burnt out, and pizza parties now. The world you are selling is long long gone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I know, I already addressed that. This thread is about making fun of the minimum wage though, which federally is still $7.25.
View Quote

The point remains, the minimum wage is completely irrelevant when everyone already pays more than that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

FPNI, again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
The whole idea of "stick with the company and get promoted to earn more" has been complete bs in my experience. The only meaningful way my income has increased has been jumping companies every couple years.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Gen X

IME underachievers end up in middle management. Hard workers stay where they are because they don’t want to lose them in their current role.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]

100% how it is. Maybe my new employer that I start with next week will change that cycle.

Probably won’t though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

What exactly are you getting for $1,160 a month (160 hours worked, which is probably not happening these days) pre-tax income?

"Lifestyle"

That wouldn't pay for a car payment, insurance, gas, and 25% of your grocery bill for the month in 2024, no matter how frugal you are.

I worked at McDonalds for six months at the end of high school/beginning of college. My starting pay was $5.65 an hour... in 2007.

Here's their menu prices from the same timeframe:

https://i.redd.it/r7bftxy58s2c1.jpg
View Quote

Taconomics, my dude.

The worker at McDs is gonna be able to afford one meal/hr.
The blue collar guy 3 meals/hr.
The white collar professional, 5 meals/hr.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate everyone not born the same year as me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been working for the same company for about 15 years. Through many different positions and promotions I've seen my salary increase roughly 400%. Hopefully it will be around 500% if I get selected for the position I applied for this morning.

Being reasonably smart, getting work done and being willing to knuckle down and work extended hours has contributed significantly. There has also been some luck involved. I should point out I started pretty low on the pay scale.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By greyninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vc0likydjM
View Quote

notice the absence of cell phones?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Gen X

IME underachievers end up in middle management. Hard workers stay where they are because they don’t want to lose them in their current role.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:

Gen X

Exact opposite of my experience.  The whiners asking for more money are normally the fuck-ups that just skate by and the hard workers either get promoted or those that don’t want promotion are the best paid people in their roles.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Cush?  Really?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376732/IMG_2984_jpeg-3207138.JPG
View All Quotes

Cush?  Really?

Minimum wage is what they legally pay 14 year olds. If you’re on your own and can be replaced by a 14 year old well you’ve screwed up
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

If they get off their dead asses and Learn a useful  skill they are not starting at $7.25 an hour.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Said every slacker for the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Cush?  Really?

View Quote
Cute.

Hope that philosophy works out well in all economic conditions, and not just the current one where to make $15 an hour you basically just have to be able to fog a mirror.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: centrarchidae] [#43]
View All Quotes

If you're only $7.24/hour of value added to your employer, it doesn't matter what is or isn't survivable. The real minimum wage is always zero.

ETA: in my state the minimum wage is considerably higher than that. It was indexed to the Denver-Boulder CPI maybe fifteen or so years ago. Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the cost of living here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

Lots of states have higher ones.  Locally the min wage is $14, and employers are generally paying $1-2 over that for unskilled labor.  Off shift work is more and after a year or so most people are making $16-19.

Of course you have to be willing to work, show up on time and not be a flake.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:11:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#45]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Why have liberals not insisted minimum wage pace (even horseshit made up) inflation numbers?

What was it pre-Covid?
Or 2016?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

What was it pre-Covid?
Or 2016?
They have in some areas. I think California is pegged to inflation, or it's being pushed at least. It's not like it would be particularly beneficial anyway, at least not for the city slickers.

Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

If you're only $7.24/hour of value added to your employer, it doesn't matter what is or isn't survivable. The real minimum wage is always zero.

No it's not. Not outside of charity work.
Even in the slave days, they were provided housing and food, so it wasn't technically free labor. Minimum wage is whatever the labor market and employers agree on, but it's never going to be zero. Minimum wage laws only introduce an artificial price floor, but even if it were abolished now, you would find practically no workers willing to show up for less than $7.25, outside of border hoppers maybe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Am I in before Boomers ruined it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#47]
You people are making up all this bad news about the economy just to make Joe Biden look bad.  The economy has never been better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#48]

Cush?  Really?

View All Quotes

Cush?  Really?

Had about a dozen new people the last few years, of various generations. Our pay is commission based (not sales), and directly tied to our productivity.

Nearly all of them still weren't productive, and the quality of the output they did generate was pretty poor. At this point my only guess is that a lot of people just don't know how to be productive regardless of pay incentive.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

100% how it is. Maybe my new employer that I start with next week will change that cycle.

Probably won't though.
View Quote
fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Back in my day min wage jobs were NOT meant to be survivable.  I work those jobs a a high schooler and in college to get extra money. I got an education and then got paid a living wage which got better over the years as I become more worth it.   What kind of absolute moron thinks slinging burgers should be a wage that gets you a house and you can raise kids on?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top