Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2024 1:31:46 AM EDT
So I have been keeping up with the NO MEN thread and have seen both my wife and daughter in there, many many laughs.

The wife has become a Cat Woman by feeding every wild ass fucking cat in the county . . . no shit!

She has even constructed wild ass fucking cat condos for the squatting little fuckers too.

Well nature being nature . .  a Possum female with Anchor BayBays has evicted a cat squatter and hijacked the cat's condo.

I told the wife that this is how nature works in real life, you have something, you better be able to keep it, you want something you better be able to get it, which really means take it in the real world. Oh well . . .  .

Our dog usually goes out every night at 10 PM and 2 AM . . . . so thus the border jumping Possum has to go.

What should I do?

Tomorrow at pre dawn come out blasting with one of my S & W .22 LR or .38Spl revolvers?

Or take a shovel, lift the basket by the handle and try to move them off my motherfucking god damn porch?

What does ARFCOM recommend for my latest little farm project?

I took some night time pics for proof, I will get better combat footage soon in daylight.

Also a straggler pic of some of my vintage stereo gear that was found on my camera for you guys, and at no extra charge!

Sign me,

"Simple Farmer with Nothing To Do''

Here is Proof of Life pic for all ye of little faith . . . .

Attachment Attached File

Vintage Stereo Pic for free!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude... Leave the possum alone. They kill ticks too.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Special-K:
View Quote

@Special-K

I cannot leave them alone, they are right by our entrance door.
That Possum can bite my wife or dog without ever leaving the basket.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RV-1:

@Special-K

View Quote

That possum will never bite the wife, dog if it sticks their nose in there. They can't carry rabies and are pretty docile, I had one that chill with me on the deck while I was drinking beer. Id pour him some in a bowl.

Put on a pair of work gloves and drag the box away from the door. You wont get bit. You may get bluffed and hissed at.

Don't kill kill the possum,
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, possums are pretty cool. It'll move on soon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
5 Disc changer? No way!!!

I think I'd rather have a possum vs stray cats.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

That possum will never bite the wife, dog if it sticks their nose in there. They can't carry rabies and are pretty docile, I had one that chill with me on the deck while I was drinking beer. Id pour him some in a bowl.

Put on a pair of work gloves and drag the box away from the door. You wont get bit. You may get bluffed and hissed at.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Special-K

Are you sure? She already did a long serious drama of hissing and showing off her mouthful of shiney razor teef.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Are you sure? She already did a long serious drama of hissing and showing off her mouthful of shiney razor teef.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what they do, and about all they do.  People routinely find babies and make pets out of them.  They're very docile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Never heard of a possum biting a person or dog. As a kid we would catch them and pick them up by the tail. They play dead. Have an aunt who spent several weeks in ICU and was at risk of losing a leg from a stray cat scratch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

If your wife harassed her yes. Just walking by never. That possum will be tame as a house cat in a week. The hissing and mouth open are a bluff. Now if her babies are threatened or your poking her with a broom. I cant say.

The one that hung out with me would climb up on the patio table next to me and just chill.

Move the basket back a few feet from the door and dont let the dog attack here and you got a new friend.

They eat ticks like popcorn and the grubs that ruin your yard and tomatoes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:19:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Special-K] [#11]

@Special-K

View All Quotes

@Special-K

In my experience, @Hobs98 is right on this one. Go ahead and move them if you must, but they really aren't as nasty as they might pretend to be. They're pretty harmless. And they kill ticks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Simply slide the basket over if you’re paranoid about it.
They are very beneficial animals, you’re sitting pretty regarding unwanted insects/ticks if the family decides to hang around the property.

I wish I had a possum family at my house..
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I would get rid of the cats and keep the possum tbh.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]

In my experience, @Hobs98 is right on this one. Go ahead and move them if you must, but they really aren't as nasty as they might pretend to be. They're pretty harmless. And they kill ticks.
View Quote

Funny story. The one that hung out with me was pretty young. He'd show up everyday after I got home from work. Id take a shower, grab a beer, and sit on the deck with"Bob".  So I started to feed him and share a beer some. Like clockwork  between 7:30 and 8 He'd show up and eat and have some beer.

Fast forward a few month, I start dating a girl. She comes over for Netflix and chill. I put food out for Bob. At some point she needs something from her care and heads outside. I didn't check the time.

As soon as the door closes, she's screaming like a veliciraptor is attacking here. I grab my gun and head outside. Shes pointing at something.

Its Bob happily munching dog food total ignoring the shrieks. She says , shoot it. I said, "im not shooting Bob". She looks at me wild-eyed and said."Bob?".

I the walked over and patted him on the back as he ate. She couldn't believe it.
Over the next few months they became friends. He would eat grapes out of her hand.

Moral of the TL:DR. Possums are cool
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Federov:

Yeah, that's what they do, and about all they do.  People routinely find babies and make pets out of them.  They're very docile.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Federov:

@Federov

Yeah, but what about our dumb ass dog that thinks every thing and everyone is her friend?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Better yet, call the dnr tomorrow and have them rehomed.

Don't kill them, possums don't den, she's only staying cause she just gave birth and as soon as the babies can cling she'll move on.

Stupid as hell to shoot a harmless critter that doesn't destroy anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#17]

If your wife harassed her yes. Just walking by never. That possum will be tame as a house cat in a week. The hissing and mouth open are a bluff. Now if her babies are threatened or your poking her with a broom. I cant say.

The one that hung out with me would climb up on the patio table next to me and just chill.

Move the basket back a few feet from the door and dont let the dog attack here and you got a new friend.

View All Quotes

How is that possible?

Our dog is going to snoop around it and we cannot be outside with her all the time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PRasko:
Better yet, call the dnr tomorrow and have them rehomed.

Don't kill them, possums don't den, she's only staying cause she just gave birth and as soon as the babies can cling she'll move on.

Stupid as hell to shoot a harmless critter that doesn't destroy anything.
View Quote

This.
She’s not taking up residency, just passing through after birth.

Don’t use a permanent solution ( killing them) to solve a very temporary problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#19]

How is that possible?

Our dog is going to snoop around it and we cannot be outside with her all the time.
View Quote

Unless the dog attacks her its all a show. I dont think the possum will do anything but play dead. I dont know 100% cause she just had babies.

Now. Saying all of that to say this. If that was a mother raccoon my response would be different. Raccoons can be nasty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:55:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hobs98] [#20]
Originally Posted By Duke117:

This.
She’s not taking up residency, just passing through after birth.

Don’t use a permanent solution ( killing them) to solve a very temporary problem.
View Quote

Not the DNR part but this. She just needs some food and place to sleep till the babies can ride her. She'll be gone before the end of next week. Just needs to heal up and eat.

https://citywildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/6c065f8b80c5155bb1b3877e2f0b7dfc-400x231.jpg
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Unless the dog attacks her its all a show. I dont think the possum will do anything but play dead. I dont know 100% cause she just had babies.

Now. Saying all of that to say this. If that was a mother raccoon my response would be different. Raccoons can be nasty.
View All Quotes

How is that possible?

Okay, I have granted a Temporary Reprieve.
I always thought they were pretty radical animals.
But I must move the basket has got to be moved, it was down the porch a bit, the wife moved it next to the door to clean and rebed it with nice clean sheets and towels for the filthy stinking wild ass cats.
The basket just got there at sunset. Look at time stamp on pic and you'll see it didn't take any time for the
Possum to find a nice new home that is well maintained by a kind hearted generous elderly half witted misguided old ex-hippie peace love Woodstock woman.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah - possum will move on. It may be a pain but, keep doggo inside for a bit and go on walks and shit.

Someone else mentioned it, but it bares repeating: Possums don't hibernate, those teeth are for scavenging, they are super docile (and stubborn) and its just trying to make a living
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Okay, I have granted a Temporary Reprieve.
I always thought they were pretty radical animals.
But I must move the basket has got to be moved, it was down the porch a bit, the wife moved it next to the door to clean and rebed it with nice clean sheets and towels for the filthy stinking wild ass cats.
The basket just got there at sunset. Look at time stamp on pic and you'll see it didn't take any time for the
Possum to find a nice new home that is well maintained by a kind hearted generous elderly half witted misguided old ex-hippie peace love Woodstock woman.
View Quote

Very cool…
Try to be as gentle as possible with the move as you don’t want to risk running mom off without the kids.

Hopefully she would come back but there’s no guarantee…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#24]
What is it like being a possum dad?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Very cool…
Try to be as gentle as possible with the move as you don’t want to risk running mom off without the kids.

Hopefully she would come back but there’s no guarantee…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1184_jpeg-3204947.JPG
View Quote

Well. I learned something today. I didn't realize they stayed together that long
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
View Quote

Read my story above
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow!

Check the pic someone posted here.

I had no idea about any of this.

See, I am a fake country boy. City born and raised.

The only reason I am here is my cousins gave me our grandparents old homeplace.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
View Quote

If it works out, we can start a fundraiser to buy him a gift…
I’m in for $5..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FOX_OSCAR_hook:
5 Disc changer? No way!!!

I think I'd rather have a possum vs stray cats.
View Quote

@FOX_OSCAR_hook

5 Disc changer?
What is the big deal?
I have been out of audio for maybe ten years now,
I have several of these . . .
Clue me in please????
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64178/Possum_with_Baybays_jpg-3204948.JPG
View Quote

Glad, I posted that. Do a little research on possums. Quite an interesting and beneficial animal to have around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a young one that would sit on the swing with me. His name was George. He was cool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Glad, I posted that. Do a little research on possums. Quite an interesting and beneficial animal to have around.
View Quote
Possum and Bats - I'd love a country place with those.

(I hate skeeters & ticks)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:

View Quote

I have both, big brown bats are interesting.  I have one that seems to use me for bait if im outside at night. I also have 2 mating pair of barred owls. 9ne pair had babies in a hollow tree close to the house, last spring.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I will sit on the swing in the summertime right as the sun goes down. The bats come out and start whoopin' bug ass right in front of me in the driveway. It's neat to see their acrobatics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hobs98] [#36]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:

I will sit on the swing in the summertime right as the sun goes down. The bats come out and start whoopin' bug ass right in front of me in the driveway. It's neat to see their acrobatics.
View Quote

You live in a rural area. I do but I have a yard light from the power company.
I have 2 different bats. One is small and shows up at sundown. The other is bigger and is out right now, I just saw it.
Probably the same for you.

https://www.animalspot.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Bats-in-Mississippi-MS.jpg
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't expect a couple possums to miraculously keep your property free from ticks. They're not THAT beneficial.

But they're totally harmless and funny so there is no reason to evict or kill it. Besides, if you're feeding cats, you're going to have more eventually if you haven't had them in the past. They scavenge just as well as cats.

50 50 chance the possum gets hit by a car in a week anyway. They're nature's speedbumps.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#38]

@FOX_OSCAR_hook

5 Disc changer?
What is the big deal?
I have been out of audio for maybe ten years now,
I have several of these . . .
Clue me in please????
View Quote
Nothing special, just haven't seen one in in a while. Many moons ago I had a Panasonic 5 disc changer. Also had a 6 disc magazine-type changer and it was awesome.
I have several boxes of CDs in storage but no CD player beyond an external DVDROM drive for my computer. Maybe one day I'll set up a CD playing station.

Glad you're letting mama possum sort it out. She'll be out of there soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Wow!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64178/Possum_with_Baybays_jpg-3204948.JPG

@Hobs98

I will look 'em up.

I don't have so many friends that I can afford to kill any potential new ones 🤣

The Possum owes her and her baybays lives to ARFCOM GD.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Lol. No they don't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#41]

@Hobs98

I will look 'em up.

I don't have so many friends that I can afford to kill any potential new ones 🤣

The Possum owes her and her baybays lives to ARFCOM GD.

View Quote

Good deal. Im no PETA person,  I've took my fair share of game and varmints. Possums are neither
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:10:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hobs98] [#42]
Originally Posted By LasagnaParty:
Lol. No they don't.
View Quote

And you would be possibly right and wrong. All research i read test possums from non high tick locations didnt have ticks in their stomach.. In captivity they love them. It would make sense they ate them in the wild
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Good deal. Im no PETA person,  I've took my fair share of game and varmints. Possums are neither
View Quote

Me too!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#44]

And you would be wrong https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34298355/
View Quote
Lol, did you read all of it?  They do not eat ticks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Yeah screw a groundhog or a coyote
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#46]

And you would be possibly right and wrong. All research i read test possums from non high tick locations. In captivity they love them. It would make sense they ate them in the wild
View All Quotes
Lol. No they don't.

And you would be possibly right and wrong. All research i read test possums from non high tick locations. In captivity they love them. It would make sense they ate them in the wild

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Lol, did you read all of it?  They do not eat ticks.
View Quote

I edited they do in captivity.  Either way. They are not harmful.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Correct  5500 ticks a week.
That , my friend, is a beneficial animal by any standard.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/562102/IMG_1186_jpeg-3204957.JPG
View Quote
jfc.  That was what was originally thought.  New studies show they do not prefer to eat ticks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#49]
jfc.  That was what was originally thought.  New studies show they do not prefer to eat ticks.
View Quote

Ok. Thats fine, do they hurt anything?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LasagnaParty] [#50]

Ok. Thats fine, do they hurt anything?
View Quote
Not to my knowledge.  Just hate hearing that shit repeated like it's gospel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top