Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2024 8:50:16 PM EDT
My 10.5" AR pistol with can, red dot, light, etc would be about $3k to reproduce.
Unfortunately, it looks like some shit from a Navy SEALs TV show, and not jury friendly.
If I wanted something more fudd-like, I'm thinking customized Mini-14 or Fightlite SCR.
Both of those would be significantly expensive.
Would y'all spend that much for a single-use firearm for such an abstract reason?
Another consideration is the theft risk as keeping it in a safe negates a rapid employment.
What says the hive?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I want a wood stocked lever gun in .357 with a threaded barrel and a red dot.  Run subsonic .38s suppressed, with the old timey wood look.

APC9SD will probably be my HD gun for a while though, I'm liking that setup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
People overthink this.

For any given home defense firearm, make sure it's reliable, put a light on it, and train with it. Done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
well i'm in texas and YMMV....   But i don't give a shit what the gun looks like that stops a threat to my family.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Suppressed M249s topped with a quality thermal or it's your funeral!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I will worry about the scariness of the tool I used later. Considering it's nearly identical to what the local SWAT boys are using, and only slightly different from your typical patrol rifle, it seems easy enough to justify. They're the appropriate tool for the task at hand.

I can easily throw another one of these together with parts I have so that's not a big deal. Other than being out the financial cost that is.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If you’re worried about the optics of it I’d just use a 12 gauge pump.

AR is a significantly better choice though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I want every advantage possible in defending my home. I don’t choose my firearms based on what a jury might think.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
10.5” PSA by the bed with irons and a flashlight. If I have to use it in the house I want it to be loud.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
12 gauge pump with a hunting barrel, loaded with any flavor buck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
10.5” PSA by the bed with irons and a flashlight. If I have to use it in the house I want it to be loud.
View Quote

WHAT???
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a 2 stamper for HD, so does my wife. If the cops take them I’ll just use a different one. Of all the real things to be concerned about, this ain’t one of them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
12 gauge shotgun

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
People overthink this.

For any given home defense firearm, make sure it's reliable, put a light on it, and train with it. Done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AS556:
If you’re worried about the optics of it I’d just use a 12 gauge pump.

AR is a significantly better choice though.
View Quote

Beretta 1301 $899 at ArmsUnlimited
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
How much is your family’s life worth? I’ll damn sure pay 3k for my family
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ruger Security 9 at bedside, Streamlight alongside it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
12 ga shotgun is the answer.
Use it for the multiple hunting opportunities that it affords.
Talk about maximum familiarity.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Another consideration is the theft risk as keeping it in a safe negates a rapid employment.
View Quote

My Mossberg 590 sits accessible in my bedroom, then goes back in the safe when I leave the house.  If I'm not home, there's no reason for it to sit out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Suppressed M249s topped with a quality thermal or it's your funeral!
View Quote

Hellyeabrother.jpg

...it's my funeral.....

I guess I am going to use what ever it takes to save myself or family members, looks be dammed.  This means that reliable function and my ability to be accurate with it in any situation I might need it will be more of a factor than anything else period.  I plan to make it so I can stand in front of the jury if it came to that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Baq] [#20]
My HD gun is a Glock or Sig with light in the Nightstand.

I know, I know funeral and such. The chance i have to use it is so small and the chance of encountering anything that cant be solved with 17 rounds of HSTs is again much smaller than that. And the ability to use it one handed is very valuable with little kids that needs securing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Mossberg 590...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Get good with knives and let the jury know you're fiscally responsible and don't fuck around
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
PD trade in Remington Police Magnum 12 gauge with a light attached loaded with number 1 buck shot and a full size Smith M&P .45 with a light and loaded with 230 grain HST's.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Elvis121:
I want a wood stocked lever gun in .357 with a threaded barrel and a red dot.  Run subsonic .38s suppressed, with the old timey wood look.

APC9SD will probably be my HD gun for a while though, I'm liking that setup.
View Quote

Damn I want this now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#25]
People overthink this.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
My 10.5" AR pistol with can, red dot, light, etc would be about $3k to reproduce.
Unfortunately, it looks like some shit from a Navy SEALs TV show, and not jury friendly.
If I wanted something more fudd-like, I'm thinking customized Mini-14 or Fightlite SCR.
Both of those would be significantly expensive.
Would y'all spend that much for a single-use firearm for such an abstract reason?
What says the hive?
View Quote

The worst evidence for your jury's friendliness is this post of premeditation...

I'm kidding, but the point is that the important will be done by that point and your goal as family's protector a success. Then you fight the legal battle of proving your innocence to an ignorant jury who will take your life into their hands. Either it was justified or not, don't waste your time trying to be less offensive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badkarmaiii] [#27]
It's not really the cost to save my family, but the cost to "look more like a victim" if I have to use it.
Would you spend big bucks on appearance?
My current setup is very effective, but doesn't look like "I never expected this to happen"...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
There is no such thing as jury friendly. There is what is and is not legal. The weapon and ammo used does not matter. Brailsford murdering that dude is proof of this.

In fact I can't find or see any case that has been decided by what the gun used looked like. Where do some of you come up with these lines of thought???
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
There is no such thing as jury friendly. There is what is and is not legal. The weapon and ammo used does not matter. Brailsford murdering that dude is proof of this.

In fact I can't find or see any case that has been decided by what the gun used looked like. Where do some of you come up with these lines of thought???
View Quote

There was a recent study on this very topic.
Sort of makes sense considering most gun control has been based upon appearance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#30]
People overthink this.

View Quote

My HD rifle is a S&W Sport I with iron sights and a light.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

The only thing I can think of is the case where that one HK employee used an AC556 to ventilate a scumbag and got railroaded over it. IIRC his name was Gary Fadden.

But that's the only one and it's a serious outlier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#32]
How an AR-15 Can Send You to Prison
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#33]
If they want to send you to prison, they are sending you to prison.  It does not matter what you use.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
If you get in that situation, AND get jammed up and prosecuted, get photos of all the local LE agencies rifles and equipment.   Just pour on the examples.  Subpeona their staff, ask what their guns are for, ask their opinions of your rifle vs theirs, etc etc.  

That shit will end rather quickly.  

Not something I concern myself with.  

You can do the same with your carry/HD ammo choice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Debarked chihuahuas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By posifour11:
Debarked chihuahuas.
View Quote

With a 10/22.
LOL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I have never even thought about this until now, and now I'm done thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

This one cost over $4k to build and setup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tac556:
If you get in that situation, AND get jammed up and prosecuted, get photos of all the local LE agencies rifles and equipment.   Just pour on the examples.  Subpeona their staff, ask what their guns are for, ask their opinions of your rifle vs theirs, etc etc.  

View Quote

This is the most thoughtful reply yet.
It's amazing how quickly components add up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Action45:
I want every advantage possible in defending my home. I don’t choose my firearms based on what a jury might think.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Sort of makes sense considering most gun control has been based upon appearance.
View Quote

What was the study?

It's such an odd thought process. There is no budget.

Silencer, rifle, good glass, sling, mags, and light are all necessary components of a solid home defense setup.

Even in California I cannot think of a case where someone defended their home from an intruder that was actively inside the house and got prosecuted, let alone prosecuted because of the gun of choice.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]

What was the study?

Silencer, rifle, good glass, sling, mags, and light are all necessary components of a solid home defense setup.

Even in California I cannot think of a case where someone defended their home from an intruder that was actively inside the house and got prosecuted, let alone prosecuted because of the gun of choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What was the study?

Video posted above.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brutus_15] [#43]
I too get my self defense and legal advice from clickbait YouTube videos.

If I am using a firearm for self defense enough has already gone wrong that the consequences down the road are the least of my concerns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I have made my home defense firearm set up very simple, Glock 17 by the bed, Glock 43 in the kitchen cabinet, Glock 19 in each of the vehicles, Glock 43 in my office

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#45]
It's 2024 you can use an AR for home defense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
It's 2024 you can use an AR for home defense.
View Quote

No you can't there's a video.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#48]
In the case of me using a weapon in a Home Defense scenario....

....literally my dead last concern would be "what does this firearm look like to a jury?"...

You'd have to be using a 24mm Select-Fire Gyrojet with Scrotum-Seeking Missiles before the Jury turns their decision on that.

You used a commando'd-out AR on the people who came into your house to harm you?  If the Jury is against you because of that, they were probably against you anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#49]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Beretta 1301 $899 at ArmsUnlimited
View Quote

@bradpierson26

Link to $899 1301?

As to the OP, I worry about that as well so I use a J.C. Higgins single shot 20ga for HD.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:

I actually take it even further- my HD rifle is the same exact rifle I once carried for LE work….

Basically- make a good decision, and none of this will matter most likely.    You would be surprised at the amount of people who gun down burglars and home invaders, or sometimes just violent drunks sometimes, in leftist places, and it is still fine…
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top