Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2024 5:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas]
Lexus GX550 (not the Overtrail, though they had one already sold, it looks nice.) Unimpressed, I thought my F150 V8 drove better, handled better, and felt more stable and planted. The pick up was nice, the transmission was really nice, smoooth. No ADM, but in their words "because it is the first year, we require these add ons.) Roof rack, >$4k (ugly, better out there), paint and seat protection, rubber floormats, and some other junk totaling $10k. I told them to get bent. They have 80 deposits, so they don't care. The Earth looks really good, the Atomic silver looks really good as well.

So, then I mosey over to the AM/Bentley/LR/RR dealership... Drove a 2024 Aston Martin DB12, hardtop... HOLY FUCK! I am in love. It's the demo (140mi) and they are required to keep certain ones on the lot, but all the ones coming in are spoken for. So, they are looking into it since the 2025's will be coming out in a few months. I must have this vehicle.

Back to the GX550. For the price and the BS add-on shit they tried to pull, I honestly think people would be better served going with the LC-250 or 4Runnner unless they just gotta have a Lexus and/or the 6TT, or they cannot deal with the Toyota tablet. First year potential issues aside, I would wait a year. The green area on the interior of the Overtrail looks WAY better in person than they do in photos on-line. Ride wise, a LC200 it is not.

Also, Bentley's are seriously baller vehicles and drive like a dream.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Not many of us cross-shopping those two vehicles!

I guess I wouldn't expect a GX550 to feel planted or handle very good.  The GX/LX/LC/4R are very truck-like in handling.  I don't love that about them, but our LX570 at 140k miles is solid as a tank, quality wise.  Handling?  Not so much.  

Trade-offs, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda Surprised, Kinda not.

Germain Naples? Shocked no ADM
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Am I imagining things, or did Aston Martin start using BMW engines? How did the DB12 sound?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

I guess I wouldn't expect a GX550 to feel planted or handle very good.  The GX/LX/LC/4R are very truck-like in handling.  I don't love that about them, but our LX570 at 140k miles is solid as a tank, quality wise.  Handling?  Not so much.  

Trade-offs, I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Trade-offs, I guess.

I didn't think it felt as planted as my 4th Gen 4R. I'm not saying it was a pos, but a semi strong wind wouldn't be fun. Best I could describe is like a lifted vehicle on thin tires.
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Kinda Surprised, Kinda not.

Germain Naples? Shocked no ADM

Correct. I asked about the ADM and they said "No, but..." The roof rack is the part that sort of pissed me off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the 12, kinda sad to see the v12 is gone but the v8 is a monster.

The Aston's may not be the "fastest" car out there, but they are one of the best driving cars there are and are just right at every level.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
shorter side walls on the Overtrail, right?  Maybe that's it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
Am I imagining things, or did Aston Martin start using BMW engines? How did the DB12 sound?
View Quote

AMG engine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Humble brag thread.  

I'd never consider those vehicles unless my mortgage was paid off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

nope your correct. M117 AMG engine....their F1 chassis also use MB engines.

Not a bad company to get engines from in Europe to be honest
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I am poor
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

I didn't think it felt as planted as my 4th Gen 4R. I'm not saying it was a pos, but a semi strong wind wouldn't be fun. Best I could describe is like a lifted vehicle on thin tires.

Correct. I asked about the ADM and they said "No, but..." The roof rack is the part that sort of pissed me off.
View Quote
Planted as in when you step on the brakes of your 4runner the front end plants to the ground and nose dives? Yes we owned one. Sold if and bought a GX460. Such a better vehicle. Also, no one buys a Lexus/Toyota SUV for the driving experience, you buy them for the reliability.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#12]

View All Quotes

The Demo was the Premium or Luxury... You're right, that may be it.

Sales guy said they drove the same, but I'd think the OT has different shocks, and of course the wheels and 33's.
Originally Posted By JoshAR:
I love the 12, kinda sad to see the v12 is gone but the v8 is a monster.

The Aston's may not be the "fastest" car out there, but they are one of the best driving cars there are and are just right at every level.

It was quick, 2.8sec iirc. I wasn't allowed to unwind it, but the salesperson is, and they did. It's scary quick. But, it handles wonderfully.
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
Planted as in when you step on the brakes of your 4runner the front end plants to the ground and nose dives? Yes we owned one. Sold if and bought a GX460. Such a better vehicle. Also, no one buys a Lexus/Toyota SUV for the driving experience, you buy them for the reliability.

No, I may not be starting it correctly... It felt, unstable, like a stiff breeze would blow it over. It definately drove on the road like a Prado, with skinny tires. I didn't stomp on the brakes. Maybe I expected more from it, but I do drive a F150 (no mods) so it's not like I was going from a luxury vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I know I am going to get a lot of heat from the GX lovers, but those are the worst riding vehicle I have ever been in. Something just not right about the suspension for at least on roads. Maybe better off road?

Glad I am not the only one who thought something was off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
And here I am looking out for a lowly GX 460 around the 2020-2021 year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Sales guy said they drove the same, but I'd think the OT has different shocks, and of course the wheels and 33's.

View Quote
Overtrail has eKDSS also, so it will have much less body roll, and of course, proper tires.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

They use Mercedes engines.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a fan of the iForce 4cyl and slightly modified Tacoma interior shared across the 4Runner, LC250, and GX550.  And after hearing about repeated iForce 6cyl failures in the Tundra?

Attachment Attached File

The outgoing V8 GX and LC were the end of an era.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I sat in the GX after seeing Denali trucks were $80k. I was "hold up, I can buy a nice Lexus for this..."

I knew better than to drive it. Keeping my old truck for now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The 4.7 GX's are never going to be beat as the intersection of reliability, comfort, and overall reasonableness as a daily driver.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#20]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
The 4.7 GX's are never going to be beat as the intersection of reliability, comfort, and overall reasonableness as a daily driver.
View Quote

4.7s were in the older land cruiser.
4.6 is in the GX 460

4.6 is not without its faults.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

4.7s were in the older land cruiser.
4.6 is in the GX 460

4.6 is not without its faults.
View Quote

The 4.7s were basically bulletproof as long as you kept the timing belt replacement schedule. Gas mileage was probably unacceptable by today's metrics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
I sat in the GX after seeing Denali trucks were $80k. I was "hold up, I can buy a nice Lexus for this..."

I knew better than to drive it. Keeping my old truck for now.
View Quote

LX570 is calling your name.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the GX550

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Though previous generation GX's have been proven reliable. Let's be honest, they ALL suck at handling and taking any curved off ramp over 40mph will feel like you will roll over.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#26]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:
I know I am going to get a lot of heat from the GX lovers, but those are the worst riding vehicle I have ever been in. Something just not right about the suspension for at least on roads. Maybe better off road?

View All Quotes

The GX550?
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Overtrail has eKDSS also, so it will have much less body roll, and of course, proper tires.

Great point, thank you. But, it wasn't really roll... It drove like crap in a straight line, road was good too.
Originally Posted By Amped:
I like the GX550

I do too, but I wasn't bowled over, and maybe the OT drives better. The other model, I don't think soccer moms are going to be excited with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:

I wonder if I could get oil changes at the Merc dealer since we don't have a AM dealer? Service, I'll have to take a road trip. I'm kind of in love with the DB12. Our favorite nut Doug Demurio ranked it higher than the Porsche GTS, which is what I have been wanting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#28]
We're considering the GX 550. That said it never crossed my mind to cross shop with an Aston Martin.

That's life goals right there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Was happy enough with my 100s. My 120s were decent, and preferable, but noticeably more controlled with KDSS. 150 is even more so. 570 was best all around, but almost floaty and bit more rebound bereft at times. Oddly not missed tho

Wondered if the lack of KDSS would impact given the broad markets it's serving. I'm not hugely concerned with "ride", but I'll find out soon enough.

Do we know if all 550 get the BD24 or just the OT?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Yeah, what’s next test driving a Ducati V4SP2 against the Tesla Cybertruck?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:32:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#31]
Originally Posted By baitdragger:

Yeah, what's next test driving a Ducati V4SP2 against the Tesla Cybertruck?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By baitdragger:

Yeah, what's next test driving a Ducati V4SP2 against the Tesla Cybertruck?

Wait . . . not the DBX?!

Maybe not the Bentayga?

Attachment Attached File

Dafuq

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#32]
The GX550 is rolling quality.  The DB12 is just sexy as hell.  But I guess I'm country.  I'd rather have a F150 Platinum or King Ranch over either of them.  I get how others may vary.

Get the DB12 OP.  That's what you want.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quite a few of the Lexus/Toyota chains are getting heavy into the "Well if Toyota frowns upon ADM we'll slap $700 wheel locks and some $1000 paint protection spray on everything and call it even" game lately.

Still plenty of places to go without those games, although Lexus admittedly a few less so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#34]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
The GX550 is rolling quality.  The DB12 is just sexy as hell.  But I guess I'm country.  I'd rather have a F150 Platinum or King Ranch over either of them.  I get how others may vary.

View All Quotes

I'd keep my F150 either way, it's practical, and I have a need for it, especially if I got a sports car.
Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:
We're considering the GX 550. That said it never crossed my mind to cross shop with an Aston Martin.

I had an appointment to TD the G550 (I'm a truck/suv guy). Family member bought a Bentley today, so after test driving those, I moseyed over to AM, then I ended up in one and went for a test drive, at which point I was fucked. I wasn't cross shopping. lol Not to mention TWO people came through in Porsche GT3's and that really irritated me.

The Bentley's are really nice/neat. Kin ended up getting the v8, but we test drove the V12 version too... Four door, don't know the model, the $350k one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#35]
The DB12 is badass OP, you’re doing something right. Drive up to Jax and take me for a spin if you get it. Closest I’ll get to one until these kids are out of the house, lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Action45:
The DB12 is badass OP, you’re doing something right. Drive up to Jax and take me for a spin if you get it. Closest I’ll get to one until these kids are out of the house, lol
View Quote

Are you hot?

I live in NW FL, so I would have to take it to ATL, Orlando (which gets great reviews), or Jax for the closest service... Or all the way down to SFla. I think I'd get a transporter vs driving it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I tried to give a kidney for a db9, but the wife would not sniff the rag.

When my car got totaled back in Dec, I was looking at db9's. There was one I was going to buy, sent a message on it and it had sold 20 mins before. Pretty sad you can get one with under 50k miles for what we paid for her 2024 Crosstrek.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#38]

I'd keep my F150 either way, it's practical, and I have a need for it, especially if I got a sports car.

I had an appointment to TD the G550 (I'm a truck/suv guy). Family member bought a Bentley today, so after test driving those, I moseyed over to AM, then I ended up in one and went for a test drive, at which point I was fucked. I wasn't cross shopping. lol Not to mention TWO people came through in Porsche GT3's and that really irritated me.

The Bentley's are really nice/neat. Kin ended up getting the v8, but we test drove the V12 version too... Four door, don't know the model, the $350k one.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By rfoxtrot:

Attachment Attached File

Dude hold out for a mug! Kinda nonplussed

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#39]
Should have checked out a new Range Rover (I assume that's what the RR/LR in your post was).

A pulley and tune and you're making 600hp(I have several clients that have a similar setup on their blown Range Rovers)

It's hilarious driving a 3 ton truck that'll out run just about everything on the road, and if you add some AT tires, press a button and you can out wheel all the Jeepers on the trail.

I do have a bit of a soft for for Bentleys as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Was happy enough with my 100s. My 120s were decent, and preferable, but noticeably more controlled with KDSS. 150 is even more so. 570 was best all around, but almost floaty and bit more rebound bereft at times. Oddly not missed tho

Wondered if the lack of KDSS would impact given the broad markets it's serving. I'm not hugely concerned with "ride", but I'll find out soon enough.

View Quote
From what I can decipher in TIS, all GX550 with the V6 get the BD24, other outside US models including the to be announced US version with the T24A-FTS/hybrid will be hamstrung with the 8.2, just as the LC250 is. It will be interesting to see if that diff holds together. I expect they will have torque management dialed down to protect it. Have noticed every one of the on road reviews I have seen of it, they have commented that it is slow, or doesn't feel like 465ft/lb. Not sure if it really is, or its just youtubers used to driving 3500lb cars versus 5400lb SUV.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#41]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
Should have checked out a new Range Rover (I assume that's what the RR/LR in your post was).

A pulley and tune and you're making 600hp(I have several clients that have a similar setup on their blown Range Rovers)

It's hilarious driving a 3 ton truck that'll out run just about everything on the road, and if you add some AT tires, press a button and you can out wheel all the Jeepers on the trail.

View All Quotes

Nooo RR/LR for me lol.

There was a wrapped tan Tesla truck there, what a pos.
Have noticed every one of the on road reviews I have seen of it, they have commented that it is slow, or doesn't feel like 465ft/lb. Not sure if it really is, or its just youtubers used to driving 3500lb cars versus 5400lb SUV.

The GX550? Definately didn't feel as "quick" as my 5.0 F150 with the 3.55, the tranny was nice though, very smooth shifts. The salesguy was an empty suit, which can sometimes turn a TD into a downer.

The stealership did call me to follow up, I complained about the forced dealer add on BS (I don't know if it is SET doing it though) and he seemed kind of baffled. I should have asked about the non-OT when I was there and to see what they tried to force on you, I doubt you can con someone into the roof rack on that.

I will say the cargo compartment, even on the 3rd row, what much better than the GX460. The 550 also had good FOV all around, nothing horrible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#42]

and if you add some AT tires, press a button and you can out wheel all the Jeepers on the trail.

View Quote
That hasn't been true since the days of the Range Rover classic. They are very nice, fast, cars though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]
From what I can decipher in TIS, all GX550 with the V6 get the BD24, other outside US models including the to be announced US version with the T24A-FTS/hybrid will be hamstrung with the 8.2, just as the LC250 is. It will be interesting to see if that diff holds together. I expect they will have torque management dialed down to protect it. Have noticed every one of the on road reviews I have seen of it, they have commented that it is slow, or doesn't feel like 465ft/lb. Not sure if it really is, or it'just youtubers used to driving 3500lb cars versus 5400lb SUV.
View All Quotes

From what I can decipher in TIS, all GX550 with the V6 get the BD24, other outside US models including the to be announced US version with the T24A-FTS/hybrid will be hamstrung with the 8.2, just as the LC250 is. It will be interesting to see if that diff holds together. I expect they will have torque management dialed down to protect it. Have noticed every one of the on road reviews I have seen of it, they have commented that it is slow, or doesn't feel like 465ft/lb. Not sure if it really is, or it'just youtubers used to driving 3500lb cars versus 5400lb SUV.

I'm pretty much of the same mind - but I'd like to get an eyeball confirm on the non-OT. The OT/+ I do know.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I want a Grenadier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#45]

View Quote

Or you could buy a BMW or Mercedes off the lot that does that is isn't a honking piece of coolant leaking shit.

After my Jag F-type R, that whole company can fuck right off.

ETA: or Porsche, although I don't know first hand anybody that has one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

My wife test drove the Lexus RX 350 Premium and the 500H a couple of weeks ago.  Both were ok, but not very inspiring.  She’s leaning towards the Genesis GV70.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#47]
Originally Posted By OSUBeaver:
View All Quotes

GF has a Macan it's nice and she hasn't had any issues, couple of years now.
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

She’s leaning towards the Genesis GV70.

Supposed to be fantastic vehicles, I don't know one person who has anything bad to say, they across the board say they are/were "fun."
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#49]

The salesguy was an empty suit, which can sometimes turn a TD into a downer.
View Quote
I like when they just hand you the keys and say have fun. I don't need some boner trying to tell me the specs while I'm on a test drive.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#50]

Or you could buy a BMW or Mercedes off the lot that does that is isn't a honking piece of coolant leaking shit.

After my Jag F-type R, that whole company can fuck right off.

View Quote

Late model BMW, Porsche, and especially MB have no issue losing every drop of coolant in the cooling system before 60,000. The B-series BMW engines are the worst in my opinion. I can't believe Toyota installed them in their fake Supra er, BMW Z car.

Then talk about Fords internal water pumps that wipe out the bearings and destroy the engine when they leak into the oil pan, lol.

If you want something nice, it isn't going to be reliable.  Hell, if you want something reliable made recently, it isn't going to be reliable.  

But touching on the Range/Jag coolant issues...it's always the coolant feed pipe that runs under the intake and blower.  If you have a supercharged engine, the blower has to come off.  There's a cross pipe that connects to both heads as well.  If you were unlucky enough to have a Jag with that engine, it hurts worse...because it's extremely labor intensive to change those parts.  On the LRs, it's not as bad.

And yes, Jag sucked so bad, they're going out of business; they put a Ferd Ecoboost boost in a lot cars..which is another dig at Jag and Ford.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top