BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:
I was diagnosed a year ago at 43 with glioblastoma. (Brain Cancer) I was given a year to live. I’m glad I was already hitting my bucket list long before that. It’s not super easy to do a lot of things in the midst of surgeries, seizures, radiation, and chemo. Live now!

Still living each day to the fullest and fighting. Not bothered by my mortality for my sake, but my wife and kids are taking it hard. It’s really hard squaring my prognosis off with them. Cancer is stupid.
View Quote

I sincerely wish you all the best - most important is to take care of your loved ones.  I worry about their pain the most, not mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I would make sure my wife knew how to do the things I normally
take care of and make sure she does not waste money on me that
she will need later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Yep. You're already dying
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Originally Posted By rhill:
Being alive is a terminal illness.

100% fatal.

No exceptions.

Yep. You're already dying
every 10-15 seconds you reset your death clock by breathing.....just saying.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By swar15:
I will start by saying I don't have a terminal illness. I was just thinking as a middle aged guy , " What would I really want to do before I die?"

So many options.
I definitely want to hit a target at a mile.
Go to Europe.
See the Pyramids.
Maybe convert some guns to MGs. ??
View Quote

This is a very difficult topic.  For example, what disease, how "terminal" is it, how much time do you have, etc?

An old guy I worked with once told me that the moment we are born we are already dying.  He was a WWII veteran and saw a lot of bad stuff.  If we think about it, to die we just need to be alive.  How many healthy people die in freaky accidents everyday?  

There new medical treatments that really work being discovered almost everyday that can cure or extend life.  Therefore, (personal experience) never give up and fight until the last moment.

Just to give you an idea.  My first oncologist told me several years ago "we will treat your cancer, so we do not want you dying of anything else".  He was referring at me also taking care of my general health, such as diet, exercise, etc.  Many years later, I am still around and he passed away due to a freak cancer that showed up out of nowhere on him, and he was gone in about one year.  I never forgot him and his words.

Therefore, if you want to travel or spend money, or do anything else, call on your parents and loved ones, do it because you want, not because of some "terminal disease".

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a bad list, honestly.

If probably concentrate on making sure the wife would be as comfortable as possible after I'm gone instead, though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PorkchopSandwhiches:
quit my job, empty my 401k, sell all my shit, and buy some old van or something and live close to the beach
View Quote

This right here.

Thing is, I'm rapidly approaching my 74th birthday.

I already have a terminal disease, it's called being old.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

You want to be healthy and vigorous for that  trust me.
View Quote
Seriously. Got a birthday gift one year from my 2 girlfriends. Worked my ass off!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I live this every single day. I don't have a terminal illness, but I live in New York so it's kind of the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure

Bucket list is pretty much done
visit Europe
Go to combat
Shoot a man
Ranger school, Jumpmaster etc
Water ski
wakeboard
snowboard
skydive
climb
scuba dive
own lots of land
raise chickens
Fly a plane
watch my 16yr son fly and land a plane (he is flying right now (N9562P)
have grandkids
be retired before I was 50

All I would do is get my affairs in order and spend as much time with the wife and kids.

Before I get too bad call in my favor for my final jump.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#10]
Coincidentally, today happens to be the third second anniversary of the day I had a heart attack and died on the way home from the hardware store.  First responders got me back, but I wasn't expected to make it.  Then I wasn't supposed to make it more than another year or so.  Last year my wife got a call from some hospital group basically checking in to see if I'd passed peacefully.

I pretty much wake up every day wondering if this will be the day I run out of borrowed time.

None of that stuff people are listing is important.  What's important is hanging out at home with the wife and kids, mowing the lawn when the grass is exactly the right height and the weather is just perfect, trying to get the stubborn pug to go pee in the grass even though it's dewy, being the first one up getting the first cup of coffee and all the peace and quiet that comes at that time of morning.

Bucket lists should focus on appreciating what you've got, not striving for what you don't.

Hell, I even got to have a bonus total eclipse and Aurora Borealis!  
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Coincidentally, today happens to be the third anniversary of the day I had a heart attack and died on the way home from the hardware store.  First responders got me back, but I wasn't expected to make it.  Then I wasn't supposed to make it more than another year or so.  Last year my wife got a call from some hospital group basically checking in to see if I'd passed peacefully.

I pretty much wake up every day wondering if this will be the day I run out of borrowed time.

None of that stuff people are listing is important.  What's important is hanging out at home with the wife and kids, mowing the lawn when the grass is exactly the right height and the weather is just perfect, trying to get the stubborn pug to go pee in the grass even though it's dewy, being the first one up getting the first cup of coffee and all the peace and quiet that comes at that time of morning.

Bucket lists should focus on appreciating what you've got, not striving for what you don't.

Hell, I even got to have a bonus total eclipse and Aurora Borealis!  
View Quote

Well said. Focus on your own pleasures. It really is the little things that matter...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I would pretty much keep doing exactly what I do now, only with a bit faster pace of events.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
2 hookers at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
Two chicks at the same time!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Life is terminal.

plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember - this is just a short stop along the way......
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By midmo:

View Quote

well said
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
If I got a week there are a bunch with less.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
Remember - this is just a short stop along the way......
View Quote

Speaking of the journey, I want my tombstone to read:

ARRIVED: MMM DD, YYYY
CHECKED OUT: MMM DD, YYYY

That should convey the message.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I would start smoking a pipe. I would find a few nice ones and even a corn cob pipe.

Smelling some nice pipe smoke is very rare these days.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d find the man who abandoned my adopted son and introduce him to our lord and savior
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WackbiscuitThorazine:
Give my life to Christ
View Quote

THIS RIGHT HERE IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. I used to tell my wife that there are half a dozen or so people that better hope I never get a terminal diagnosis because Im taking them bastards with me. Thats NOT true and its not the way I feel once I gave my self to Jesus. After finding the Lord, 6 months or 60 years is the same with me. I do everything I can to help everybody I can.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#23]
@BustinCaps

prayers for you & health. it’s gotta suck to deal with, no doubt. stay strong & go shooting, enjoy the things that bring you pleasure.
i’ve taken care of a handful of glio patients before.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I would spend more time with my wife and kids.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
My oncologist told me day one it was incurable, but progress is being made. The flash to bang is five years if you believe the internet, but a couple of miracle drugs are slowly stretching that out. I'm in year three.

I asked him what I should do...and he told me to go live my life. It was great advice. I don't walk around like there's a spectre hanging over me, in fact most days I don't think about it at all. I've had an extremely full life, all the travel and more foolishness than any one person deserves. It allows me the luxury now of taking my days slowly, and enjoying everything we've worked for.

With the help of one of the best members here, I was able to secure my wife's financial future. That took most of my worries off the plate, so now I fish and shoot in the summer and drink good whisky by the fire in the winter. This year, with a little luck I may even go hunting. My time is coming, but at 63 it was always coming anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#26]
I'd just want to sit on my porch and watch the bugs and birds while dipping and or smoking cigars.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a bit shocked by how many of you have met people in your lives worth killing.  I can't think of a soul I would harm if there was no fear of retaliation ala jail etc.  Nope.  I mean I've bet assholes but OK, maybe a few I'd track down and punch in the nose but killing?  No.   Maybe I've led a blessed life.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
hookers and blow, my dude.

hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:
Last week I was told I have 2 or 3 years left if all goes well.  It's just regular old cancer, nothing cool.  I don't have any bucket list type stuff I want to do, I just want to enjoy every day as much as I can and not waste whatever time I have left on dumb shit.  

By the way, the most helpful thing you can do for people with a terminal cancer diagnosis is not saying stupid shit to them because you don't know what else to say.  Just say you're sorry, they'll understand.
View Quote
damn.

condolences.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Hot laps at Laguna Seca
Make some videos for my kid
Visit Japan and Italy
Do shrooms with my buddy

I mean I guess it depends how long I have / how sick I am.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#31]
There's a list of people that better pray that never happens
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
i try to live every day like i have one, life is short
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]
For all of you that say travel, you may find that by the time you know it’s fatal you won’t be capable of travel..do your stuff now while your able and can enjoy it..
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I will start by saying I don't have a terminal illness. I was just thinking as a middle aged guy , " What would I really want to do before I die?"

So many options.
Go to Europe.
See the Pyramids.
View Quote

not today fed boi!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd travel, do two chicks at one time, and go wingsuit flying while drinking old fashioned's and smoking Marlboros.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By hatidua:

-I'd strive to sell off all of my stuff so my wife didn't have to deal with it.  I checked off all of the 'bucket list' stuff decades ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hatidua:
" What would I really want to do before I die?"

-I'd strive to sell off all of my stuff so my wife didn't have to deal with it.  I checked off all of the 'bucket list' stuff decades ago.

I’ve done that just because.

I guess I’d try to sell my business and buy a few more rent houses and hang out with my kids.  

Which is what I should be doing now…
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#37]
My recommendation is to not wait for a terrible illness to do things you want  to if you have the means to do so now.  My wife wanted to do a few minor things after her brain tumor was removed. She never walked again and was gone in five months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to fight a bear if I'm terminal
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

Yeah no.  Lots of friends living in Thailand.  They tell me that two high end hookers willing to do a 3some including each other can be had for less than $500.  Well that is what I've been told.  

https://www.luxurythaimodels.com/models/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Magoo6541:
You'd need $1Mil for that though, man.

Yeah no.  Lots of friends living in Thailand.  They tell me that two high end hookers willing to do a 3some including each other can be had for less than $500.  Well that is what I've been told.  

https://www.luxurythaimodels.com/models/

There's plenty of chicks here in the U.S. that will do it for free for the right guy. Be that guy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I have stage 4 metastatic cancer that has a very low survival rate long term. I'm just trying to take more trips to Hawaii, Tahiti, cruise to Alaska. I was an officer in the Merchant Marine for 40 years so I was  a lot of places before I got sick k like australia, singapore, New Zealand and quite a bit of Europe and Middle East
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Speaking of the journey, I want my tombstone to read:

ARRIVED: MMM DD, YYYY
CHECKED OUT: MMM DD, YYYY

That should convey the message.
View Quote

I want mine to say "see, I told you I was really sick.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ztug:
I have stage 4 metastatic cancer that has a very low survival rate long term. I'm just trying to take more trips to Hawaii, Tahiti, cruise to Alaska. I was an officer in the Merchant Marine for 40 years so I was  a lot of places before I got sick k like australia, singapore, New Zealand and quite a bit of Europe and Middle East
View Quote

Good luck bro
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a bit shocked by how many of you have met people in your lives worth killing.  I can't think of a soul I would harm if there was no fear of retaliation ala jail etc.  Nope.  I mean I've bet assholes but OK, maybe a few I'd track down and punch in the nose but killing?  No.   Maybe I've led a blessed life.

View Quote

There's a guy I've never met but I saw the he did too my friend's Young daughter. She has Amnesia can't remember anything from before growing up or even into her twenties. He beat her within an inch of her life. And the court system did Jack Shit. I've offered to take him out and make it hurt,
 but my friend refused the offer. But I really would gladly kill the bastard and not even feel a bit of guilt. Maybe will anyway as I get closer to my demise. I'd be making the world a better place before I leave
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I've got a couple of novels I want to finish writing.

Get married, get my wife pregnant, leave the house and all my savings to her and the kid(s).  They'd have financial security at least.

Maybe travel a little.  I want to see Florence, Italy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#45]
coc

start working some lists until i run out of money, connects, ammo, intel, or blood.

have a plan for such a thing. you may not have time to plan.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#46]
I've been wishy washy on responding to this post. Technically, I've been told I'm terminal. The solution is eventually a heart transplant. I've had 2 open heart surgeries and told the next one would have to be a transplant as I have whats called PPM. Prothesis patient mismatch. Basically, my mechanical valve is too small for normal operation and enlarging the other side of my heart, but it was the only thing that would fit after my last OHS (which was 9.5hrs) ten years ago. So, basically I'm terminal. It could be 5 months, 12 month, 5 years before it's adios. I do not think a new heart is in the works, but hey I might be wrong.

The only thing I've been concentrating on is completing things that I need to get done. Cutting wood for the next heating season, getting the deck done. Cleaning the garage. And most importantly, getting my affairs in order so my wife and kids are taken care of. I'm working on getting my documents and passwords in a single location so they can be accessed when/if I turn up on the wrong side of the grass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Settle some scores.
View Quote
fucking this and there are many that need settling.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#48]

So many options.
Go to Europe.
See the Pyramids.
View Quote

Delete as many pedophiles as I could.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#49]

So many options.
Go to Europe.
See the Pyramids.
View Quote

My brother in christ, you can do all these things without a terminal diagnosis. None of us get out of life without dying, you will take nothing with you.

Jump.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top