Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2024 9:54:22 PM EDT
I went the vinotemp wine fridge route years ago, but ultimately I returned it to the store I bought it. It was barely big enough to fit the cigars/boxes I had in a 48qt cooler.

I haven't bought cigars in years, but I also haven't smoked many in that time either. I have a packed 150qt cooler, and two packed 48qt coolers, plus a large (and I mean large) zip lock bag with 6 or so cedar trays full of smokes. Though I haven't smoked much in the last several years, I've maintained them with beads and the extra large boveda packs.

I'm looking now to get a refrigerator size wine fridge, probably a 170ish or so bottle model. I don't even need to turn it on, I keep my apt at 69-70 degrees year round. I just need something that takes up less space than 3 big ass coolers sitting on the floor in my spare bedroom.

Has anybody used a big wide fridge? A humidor that size would be $$$, you can get a wine fridge for around $1K.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#1]

I’ve done that. I’ve had mine for more than a decade. The guy who built my shelves and drawers is no longer doing/making conversion parts.

My problems are related to power outages and humidity. When the power goes out and comes back on the fridge temp goes to 50 something. I have a replacement controller that I haven’t gotten around to installing. I actually have to use a humidity absorbing chem like damp rid, to keep humidity down. It lives in my temp controlled garage.

(These are old pics. I need to take some current ones. Although a number of my cigars are 15 years old and more).
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at getting something like this:

Most of my smokes are in boxes, and I have maybe 8 or 10 spanish cedar trays. I wouldn't need shelves really. I'm just looking for something that will hold all my cigars and hold humidity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#3]
I bought the fridge with the intention of converting it. My plan always included Spanish cedar interior parts. My research at the time showed that the only difference between a couple of brands was the level of finish (wood edge shelves and such). I bought the cheapest one of the group.

The one you posted should work just fine. If you are gulf coast, like me, you may need to dehumidify more than humidify. I have an active humidification system that I have never installed. I think my setup is somewhere around 15 years old.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the Dallas area.  It's 40-50% humidity in my apartment at any given time.  I'd probably get a cigar oasis or something.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just try to off gas the interior of new.  Too big to put outside to get UV on the plastic but maybe by a window with the door open so sunlight hits the plastic?    Usually the interiors on new ones have a plastic scent.  I would get an oasis unit and run that to regulate humidity.  Should work perfectly well as long as you can control temps
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a Edgestar 28 bottle wine fridge about 20 years ago.  I sealed the drain hole, put about two pounds of baking soda in it for two weeks to take any residual manufacturing "oder/smells" out of it (didn't want the sticks picking anything up, worked great) and then got a few cedar drawers (properly seasoned them) with glass tops.  I have never plugged it in and it holds a mid 60's temp in my basement all year long.  I store a few new boxes down low and the remaining sticks (quite a few) are stored in the drawers.  I just used humidity beads and add distilled water when needed and never had an issue.
Top Top