Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/9/2024 10:35:50 AM EDT
I live in a rural area and with the "split" or Schism in the Methodist church went official it looks like last week. It appears the word has come down from above that they now need to do Gay marriages, have gay pastors and be much more "inclusive". We all already knew this nothing new here, but with it going official this week and the official word coming down the exodus from my church is mind numbing. I mean EVERYONE who did anything left. They are already talking about layoffs in the staff and not being able to make it through summer... A good friend and his wife both worked with one and they said its really bad all the kids left, all the employees and youth minister quit on the spot. Then the layoff talks started after half the staff already quit.

I spot checked a few other buddies who are connected with the Methodist church in other areas but fairly close by and all of them report the same thing. Curious if you all are seeing this in your areas yet?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I was a teenager when I determined Methodists were retarded.

I've never bothered to check back in on them since.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I expected this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine in college said to me once that "Churches were social groups form weak minded people". It looks like some of that may actually be true with the UMC.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Moyockgunner:
I expected this.
View Quote

I mean best i can tell 4 or 5 that i'm aware of in North GA aren't going to make the summer running off their reserve funds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Southern Baptist here but I've heard others griping about that, talk of splitting etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:46:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#6]
My polling place is at a local Methodist church. In 2020, I went in to vote and there were Democratic Party posters up, all kinds of wokist artwork about Jesus being bi/trans and supposedly married to both Mary Magdalene and the apostle John, lots of posters/artwork with slogans that directly contradicted the Bible right next to claims of them being a Bible-believing church, anti-"hatred" signs that were rather intolerant of anyone right of Stalin, and the poll workers wearing Biden shirts refused to let people in unless they took their MAGA hats off because those were "election interference".
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:
I live in a rural area and with the "split" or Schism in the Methodist church went official it looks like last week. It appears the word has come down from above that they now need to do Gay marriages, have gay pastors and be much more "inclusive". We all already knew this nothing new here, but with it going official this week and the official word coming down the exodus from my church is mind numbing. I mean EVERYONE who did anything left. They are already talking about layoffs in the staff and not being able to make it through summer... A good friend and his wife both worked with one and they said its really bad all the kids left, all the employees and youth minister quit on the spot. Then the layoff talks started after half the staff already quit.

I spot checked a few other buddies who are connected with the Methodist church in other areas but fairly close by and all of them report the same thing. Curious if you all are seeing this in your areas yet?
View Quote

Why are they quitting?  Keep the church and kick out the denomination.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mall-Ninja] [#8]
Wife is Catholic, kids are baptized Catholic, but we all spent our time in a church led by Franciscan Friars.

Things changed after the diocese took over.

We haven’t found a “suitable” (to her) Catholic Church here in TX, and I’m hesitant to entertain the idea of the megachurches around here, for the very reason the OP is stating.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It's there a method to decertify your church with the national Methodist organization?  

Decertify might not be the right word, but basically take the specific congregation local.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The only thing the United Methodist Church is uniting is the alphabet people.  

The conference officially updated the Book of Discipline last week(?).  

They should just merge with the Unitarians and stop dragging poor Wesley through the mud.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The one near me has been a leftist zoo for years. They've had the rainbow flag flying, letting homeless park their shitter campers in the lot, etc. Same for the Presbyterian church. It seems the churches have to throw away their values to keep membership up. It's all about the $$$.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is what is sad. We know the communist, satanist, humanist agenda was to take over institutions and ruin them to ruin our national identity. They have accomplished this in many denominations. The people who paid for these buildings are left with nothing while the leftist have won control over countless properties valued probably in the billions. Even if they never sell one property, the damage is done.

My denomination is built from the Methodist form of church governance. I hope we can stay the course at our conference this year or this minister has to move denoms or go independent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
It's there a method to decertify your church with the national Methodist organization?  

Decertify might not be the right word, but basically take the specific congregation local.
View Quote

There was a way for the local church to leave the UMC organization, that has been happening for the past few years.

Unfortunately, the UMC owns and centrally manages many of the affairs of the local churches.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My family and my wifes walked away from the methodist church many years ago.  We started seeing a shift way back when and knew this kind of mess was coming.  Its no longer about being inclusive anymore.  The conference kissed the ring and now its turning into a downright takeover.  The church I grew up going to is hanging by a thread as is.  Its not the fact there is a woman pastor that has now come out as a lez-bean.  But, its now turned into one giant "lets all be gay" advertisement instead of a church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:52:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tveddy] [#15]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

View Quote

Properties are owned by the UMC.
To dissaffiliate the umc makes the church members pay market rate for the property.

My wife was a umc pastor but she went free methodist last year. Im glad she got out while she could
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Get woke, go broke? Sounds like a self correcting problem.

I am a Christian, but I’ve seen problems with the “church” most of my life. This is nothing new though, according to scripture. I try to be faithful to the scripture and associate with churches that do as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I grew up in the Methodist church, but quit going after becoming an adult.

I did briefly attend a few years back to please my aging mother and a young girlfriend I was infatuated with at the time. Both are gone now.

The Methodist Church is very anti gun, but screw 'em, I concealed a compact 1911 every Sunday. That church is a vacant building now, they had a huge blowup and split even before this gay stuff became front and center.

My poor mother would be appalled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#20]
UMC and UCC are centrally dominated denominations.  SBs are independent.  The local congregation votes on the pastor.  In the UMC, the hierarchy assigns you a pastor.  Don't like it? Tough.  For the SBs, don't like the pastor, vote in a new one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dhmjr40:
Southern Baptist here but I've heard others griping about that, talk of splitting etc.
View Quote

I've heard similar....quite a few friends are Methodist and they have decided to leave the Methodist Church because of this.

It's a shame they have chosen the route of apostasy, but this is completely non Biblical
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Actually, the general conference said literally the opposite - it's up to individual churches to decide their stance, and they cannot be forced to take one stance or another by their districts or conferences. Nonetheless, the language forbidding LGBTQ leadership and marriages was removed from the discipline, giving carte blanche to churches that want to do that. It makes for a much less unified UMC, for certain.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Sundowner08L:
UMC and UCC are centrally dominated denominations.  SBs are independent.  The local congregation votes on the pastor.  In the UMC, the hierarchy assigns you a pastor.  Don't like it? Tough.  For the SBs, don't like the pastor, vote in a new one.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

IIRC a lot of methodist churches are actually owned (the building and property) by the UMC and not the congregation
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tveddy:

To dissaffiliate the umc makes the church members pay market rate for the property.

My wife was a umc pastor but she went free methodist last year. Im glad she got out while she could
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tveddy:

Disaffiliation was temporarily made much easier over the past year and a half, but the general conference set the bar back up where it was before (essentially re-buy your church etc. from us if we decide we don't want it) at the same time they removed the LGBTQ ban. "Now youse can't leave."

Not only properties, but all assets of the church are held in trust for the UMC.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

The United Methodist Church "mothership" i guess you call it owns the church property and land and such. They could of voted to get out and go another way by buying the land and property and doing what you said, however lots of churchs wouldn't let their congregation vote this forcing it to stay with the leftist side of the Church. So now that the new doctrine has taken place everyone left and the church is empty and now cant pay its bills.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Every UMC had the opportunity to vote to remain in the UMC denomination or leave and join the spin off, Global Methodist Church(the conservative break out). Your examples must have voted to stay UMC and are now seeing the results.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Yes, there was a vote that needed to happen, but lots of churchs refused to let the congregation vote... Then if it passed you needed to buy the property and land from the UMC and go your own way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#29]

The United Methodist Church "mothership" i guess you call it owns the church property and land and such. They could of voted to get out and go another way by buying the land and property and doing what you said, however lots of churchs wouldn't let their congregation vote this forcing it to stay with the leftist side of the Church. So now that the new doctrine has taken place everyone left and the church is empty and now cant pay its bills.
View All Quotes

Even before this, the UMC owned a lot of empty buildings. The number has gone up substantially. This issue has destroyed many congregations.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

Actually, the general conference said literally the opposite - it's up to individual churches to decide their stance, and they cannot be forced to take one stance or another by their districts or conferences. Nonetheless, the language forbidding LGBTQ leadership and marriages was removed from the discipline, giving carte blanche to churches that want to do that. It makes for a much less unified UMC, for certain.
View Quote

They said that way back yes, but now that they can't vote to leave anymore and that part was closed the position changed and here is the new doctrine that happened this week. Our pastor said "this came down from the top" and they where told this is how it is now and that happened this week. Now is the top the bigger conference or the GA state one i don't know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
IMO I think the Methodist and Presbyterians are some of the most radical communist woke religions organizations you can be associated with.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ltcnav:
Every UMC had the opportunity to vote to remain in the UMC denomination or leave and join the spin off, Global Methodist Church(the conservative break out). Your examples must have voted to stay UMC and are now seeing the results.
View Quote

Technically these ones refused to allow a vote. Thus forcing them to stay.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#33]
My Mom was raised Catholic, my Dad was raised Protestant.  They went to Methodist church after getting married.

They stopped going in the very very early 1980s due to the injection of Leftist politics on the sermons. Tried a couple other Methodist churches and saw the same thing.

After the failure of the counterculture movement to bring radical Leftist change to America, the Left changed to insidious internal destruction of American institutions through decay via leadership instead of attacks from the outside.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I believe there's two methodist churches around me that are currently empty and for sale.

One I know for sure is, the other I can't remember for sure if it was methodist or something else
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Yes, there was a vote that needed to happen, but lots of churchs refused to let the congregation vote... Then if it passed you needed to buy the property and land from the UMC and go your own way.
View All Quotes

Until this past week, the process was (very roughly):

1.) congregation decides (usually by a vote of the membership) whether to hold a disaffiliation vote
2.) congregation holds official disaffiliation vote, determined by a simple majority (50% + 1 vote)
3.) congregation informs district it's disaffiliating, and comes to an agreement on how much money has to be sent to district to compensate for taking the church/property/etc

One of our local congregations got through step 1, and at step 2 the disaffiliation vote failed. The people who wanted to disaffiliate left because they couldn't justify staying in the UMC any longer with the then-looming LGBTQ changes to the discipline. The remaining congregation was so disillusioned by the hateful way the disaffiliators spoke that many of them left the church all together. Their attendance has now dwindled to almost nothing. I can't see them continuing to do church more than another few months. The mere act of voting was enough to break the church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

The UMC (big UMC) "allowed a vote" as a hope they could say "See, everyone approves of LBGTEBBWWTF#$@$)_@(**%#!".

Then realized that was an expensive assertion.  At least now they doubled down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#37]
The big Methodist church in my town had to buy their way out. It was hard for them but they got it done.  Then they sold off some property and now they are Global Methodist.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]

They said that way back yes, but now that they can't vote to leave anymore and that part was closed the position changed and here is the new doctrine that happened this week. Our pastor said "this came down from the top" and they where told this is how it is now and that happened this week. Now is the top the bigger conference or the GA state one i don't know.
View All Quotes

What I'm telling you is literally what the language passed last week says. District leadership cannot force a church to accept LGBTQ leadership or perform marriages, nor can they forbid it. The language that was passed is very specific.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:14:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#39]

View Quote

It’s the same here, just a little north of you. The UMC decided to pull a Bud Light and go full queer. Going as far as calling us hypocrites for leaving the church, based on their abomination of a decision. Why? Faster Captain, faster! The shoal is dead ahead!

Our little mountain church, founded in 1825, is the oldest around here. I fear it will not make it whether we stay or go. I believe it is prophesy. To love LGBTQ+ people is one thing, it’s what Jesus (the lamb of God) would have us do, but to participate in their circus and dress up like clowns is another.

2 Corinthians 11:13

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#40]
You're a couple years behind the curve OP.

I grew up in the Methodist church, continued membership as an adult, and raised my kid for most of her childhood.

I left the Methodists behind when they started the gay stuff.  The local church leaders (pastor, youth minister, music minister, associate pastors, etc.) left and started a non-denominational church that's still based on the Bible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Used to be that the Methodists were solid, rock-ribbed Christians dedicated to the spreading of the Word and the winning of souls.

They lacked the contentiousness of many Protestant faiths and the overcomplication of others.

The only complaint I heard was that the Methodists wrapped up their Sunday services early so they could beat the Baptists to Luby’s.

It’s sad what has become of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ltcnav:
View Quote

There was no 'vote to stay', only a vote to leave. If a church didn't hold a vote, then they, by definition, remained in the UMC.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Closest UMC became a Community church about 5 years ago. No UMC signage to be seen. Do not know the politics or financial changes on how it was done, but was definitely due to the conservative leaning congregation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't go to the Methodist church but I live in a smaller community and hear they are hemorrhaging members around here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TexasRooter:
The big Methodist church in my town had to buy their way out. It was hard for them but they got it done.  Then they sold off some property and now they are Global Methodist.
View Quote

They are now trying to infiltrate the Global Methodist Church.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#46]

What I'm telling you is literally what the language passed last week says. District leadership cannot force a church to accept LGBTQ leadership or perform marriages, nor can they forbid it. The language that was passed is very specific.
View Quote

Ok, well that is interesting because in the North GA it was completely different message. As of this week..
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Grew up Methodist and have been very active until last week's conference.  Now I am looking.  In additional to all the pro-gay changes, they also made a resolution to not invest in things Israeli and one document referred to the action in Gaza as genocide.  Additionally, the language on abortion leaves a lot to be desired.  Some of the "leaders" seem to think this is Medieval Times and we are but peasants.  Sorry, but nothing binds me to a particular denomination.  Hopefully I will find a place to worship.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I visited a fancy  Methodist church. Once.

I recall they handed out a "annual donation plan guide" to individuals during the offering graduated up to $250,000/yr. And that was about 20 yrs ago.

Huh....

🤔
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
the church I belong to WAS UMC but the UMC went full faggot by endorsing gays etc. My church put it up to a congregational vote if we should stay UMC or break free and do our own thing.  The vote came in over 90% wanted to break free of the UMC and just do our own thing, and that is what we did late last year.

Things have been better and better ever since.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#50]
These purple-haired, they-them, heads of the methodist church have a LOT of money right now too.

Every former methodist church in my area "bought" their way out recently and it costs them big time $$$$.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top