Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 10:41:51 AM EDT
Hey I have a 60s/70s construction house and my attic has trusses or whatever they are called going EVERYWHERE and it is VERY hard to get around the attic I have to tiptoe while squatting on the central beam basically to move around.
Should I get some knee pads and some 3/4 plywood cut to lengths to lay over the ceiling beams so I can get around any tips?
I want to install another ceiling light fixture on the opposite side of my long living room so there will be plenty of crawling.
Also any one blew in their own insulation into the attic. It gets cold and hot here in Buffalo NY. My soffit vents go up pretty high in my attic so there is lots of space for insulation to be blown in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t even buy plywood unless you have it laying around.

When I was doing attic work it was common to buy a sheet of OSB and saw it into 2x2’ pieces.  If it fits, just rip it into longer pieces and build a walk /crawl path. Knee pads are nice.  Plenty of light is nice.

You know they have solutions for adding a light box up there that you install from below?  Just gotta fish the romex over.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I wouldn’t even buy plywood unless you have it laying around.

When I was doing attic work it was common to buy a sheet of OSB and saw it into 2x2’ pieces.  If it fits, just rip it into longer pieces and build a walk /crawl path. Knee pads are nice.  Plenty of light is nice.

You know they have solutions for adding a light box up there that you install from below?  Just gotta fish the romex over.
View Quote

I need to put in new electrical box and probably 2x4 to support it and insulate it from the insulation and so on. Do it right and see what I am doing to be safe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#3]
Multiple ways to skin that cat.  If you want to fab up a 2x4 support that works, but if you Google up old work ceiling box you’ll see what I mean.   Just think about how much weight it’ll be supporting.  They are super easy to install.   Getting romex over might be the hard part.

In my experience, scabbing in a 2x4 for a light box sucked.  Only did it once, then moved to the expanding bar types.  If it was strictly for a light light (get it?) I would often just use a round cut in.  I think they were rated for 7 lbs.

I’m a retired master, so I’ve done a few. Glad that was all too.  Crawling around in insulation pushed me to industrial electric.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Adding plywood walkways on an attic is awesome,
Tons of extra work but makes it so easy to move around. We have been doing it in my attic while we are remodeling and it’s a game changer for how fast thing get
Done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#5]
I used 2x4 cross members and then took MDF board ripped lengthwise in 3 pieces (works out to about 16-1/4" wide) to make a 24' long crawl platform.

Works great, but granted I don't really spend a ton of time up there. I mostly did it to access the stepped ceiling in the master for a lighted crown moulding project.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I got up to snap photos of the progress my brother made yesterday. When I said plywood I meant 3/4” osb

We have a walkway all the way across the vaulted ceiling area now. And a crude stairway to get up to it without climbing up onto the trusses. And some Storage platform for general movement and around the attic ladder.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I got up to snap photos of the progress my brother made yesterday. When I said plywood I meant 3/4” osb

We have a walkway all the way across the vaulted ceiling area now. And a crude stairway to get up to it without climbing up onto the trusses. And some Storage platform for general movement and around the attic ladder.
https://i.imgur.com/RFJtxqz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/RLSw51F.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/SrZwCvH.jpeg
View Quote

You are lucky I have those beams cutting at 45 degrees across all the ceiling and I either have to squat or crawl everywhere.
Top Top