Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 5:33:21 PM EDT
I can't be the only one who uses sharpies for bluing. I usually use black but I've heard that the blue markers have more ink in them.

The Magnums are huge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dykem makes markers too.

But I usually use sharpie
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#2]
I'll use fluid if I'm laying out a plate. But if it's just for marking a center line or something quick on the lathe or mill, I'm using a sharpie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep several blue sharpies around at work, and often use them just for that purpose.  

At one of my previous jobs, the lay-out fluid was a copper based tree root remover which left a copper wash on steel.  It worked very well, and did not wash off with solvents.  For that shop, having a solvent proof lay-out coating was most helpful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
I'll use fluid if I'm laying out a plate. But if it's just for marking a center line or something quick on the lathe or mill, I'm using a sharpie.
View Quote

Today I had to blend in an angle with a chamfer mill. A bit of sharpie sure helped to see when the two cuts met.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you need to cover more area, or a nook or cranny, an air gun gently blowing through the tip makes an air brush.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Used it many times
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CNC_Guy:
If you need to cover more area, or a nook or cranny, an air gun gently blowing through the tip makes an air brush.
View Quote

I've seen that on YouTube. I'll definitely try it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Always my go to if im going to be hand beveling on an edge. Avoids any fluid dripping down the edge to the face of the plate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Need to get some sharpie in a hard to reach corner? Hold the tip over the area and spray it with an air hose. Works like spray paint.
Top Top