User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 1:00:01 AM EDT
Currently I have 25% of each:

FBGRX
FNCMX
FSPGX
FXAIX

My Roth has out performed my 401k by double (5% vs 10%) growth YTD

someone on reddit told me I have to much risk and I should move it all to VTI or FSKAX - I do understand these about about 99% the same its just a matter of which one I want

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:47:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JMichael99:

FBGRX
FNCMX
FSPGX
FXAIX

someone on reddit told me I have to much risk and I should move it all to VTI or FSKAX - I do understand these about about 99% the same its just a matter of which one I want
View Quote
They are all very similar funds. They are all large cap growth or blend funds. The first two, especially FBBGRX, have high expense ratios. You're paying extra for really no benefit as compared to the very low expense ratios of the latter two.

VTI and FSKAX are both total market funds. They're still strongly tilted towards large cap blend, but will have some mid cap and small cap in there two. They both have a rock bottom expense ratio. Likely won't go wrong with either one.

You're currently 100% in stocks. Just make sure that you're comfortable with the possible volatility that comes with this and that it's appropriate for your personal situation.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
FCNTX........My favorite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
THIS is your primary issue! "someone on reddit told me I have to much risk and I should move it all to VTI or FSKAX - I do understand these about about 99% the same its just a matter of which one I want"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jte3470:
FCNTX........My favorite.
View Quote

Contrafund

makes me think im investing in running guns to Iran lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
They are all very similar funds. They are all large cap growth or blend funds. The first two, especially FBBGRX, have high expense ratios. You're paying extra for really no benefit as compared to the very low expense ratios of the latter two.

VTI and FSKAX are both total market funds. They're still strongly tilted towards large cap blend, but will have some mid cap and small cap in there two. They both have a rock bottom expense ratio. Likely won't go wrong with either one.

You're currently 100% in stocks. Just make sure that you're comfortable with the possible volatility that comes with this and that it's appropriate for your personal situation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sartorius:

FBGRX
FNCMX
FSPGX
FXAIX

This guy nailed it.

You have an overcomplicated portfolio because those things you are holding are all very similar in what they invest in - so this is not asset allocation.
Furthermore, you are paying high expense ratios on two of the funds.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with holding these 4.... just understand they are all very similar in their underlying holdings.  The most notable, is FBGRX.  It has very high performance in bull markets, but also the most loss in a bear market, so it will likely be very volatile.

Personally, I'd just pick VTI or FSKAX, and chill.  But that's me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

This guy nailed it.

You have an overcomplicated portfolio because those things you are holding are all very similar in what they invest in - so this is not asset allocation.
Furthermore, you are paying high expense ratios on two of the funds.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with holding these 4.... just understand they are all very similar in their underlying holdings.  The most notable, is FBGRX.  It has very high performance in bull markets, but also the most loss in a bear market, so it will likely be very volatile.

Personally, I'd just pick VTI or FSKAX, and chill.  But that's me.
View Quote

so I did just put in orders to sell everything.  ill probably do VTI.  over the last 10 years I would have tripled my money according to the calculator I used. I wish I could put my 401k in it.  my company options they give us SUCK. I feel like im not making what I should.  and we don't have brokeragelink
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could put my 401k in it.  my company options they give us SUCK. I feel like im not making what I should.  and we don't have brokeragelink
View Quote

Why not post your options in your 401k and let people see/make recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
They're all stock funds, the big difference is what stocks they hold and their expense ratios.  
100% stocks is "risky", but unless you are retiring within a couple years it's not abnormal.  That risk is also why your roth returns were better than your 401k.

VTI and FSKAX are total market funds, so their risk is not appreciably different than what you have now(they're all stock funds).
Over time, they will all move with the broader stock market.  Some might move more or less than others but that's not predictable.  

If you're young(a decade or more until retiring) one could make an argument for the low expense ratio total market or sp500 funds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If I am in your shoes I am going nearly 100% in FXAIX or maybe 20% in FNCMX as a backfill for technology. (Which I put my money where my mouth is as I am heavy in VWUAX and VFIAX).

What is your time horizon is the real question?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:

If I am in your shoes I am going nearly 100% in FXAIX or maybe 20% in FNCMX as a backfill for technology. (Which I put my money where my mouth is as I am heavy in VWUAX and VFIAX).

What is your time horizon is the real question?
View Quote

42. go serious about 10months ago. moved 401k into better funds, started Roth. paid off all debt except the house.  currently putting 15% plus 6% match and 6% in my Roth.  looking to hit 1mil in 10 years.  its doable with 12% growth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
You want your highest growth potential to be in Roth.

You have to manage asset location with asset allocation.

Some people think that you should be 60/40 in each of the categories (brokerage, pre-tax, and Roth). In reality you should be 60/40 (or whatever ratio is right for your situation) across all 3 categories. Put your fixed income instruments and dividend paying investments in Pre-tax, high growth in Roth, and non-dividend assets in brokerage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#15]
42. go serious about 10months ago. moved 401k into better funds, started Roth. paid off all debt except the house.  currently putting 15% plus 6% match and 6% in my Roth.  looking to hit 1mil in 10 years.  its doable with 12% growth.
View Quote

42 years old?  If so, you'll be set if you keep up those savings rates.  

I would do 100% stocks on everything at your age, esp. your 401k since that money is locked away until you're 60(so you've not concerned about short-term market downturns).
If you want some "safer" (ie. less volatile) investments consider those for your roth based on the logic that you can widthdraw your roth principal without penalty should the need arise(major medical incident, major life purchase, etc).

If you're putting that much into your 401k I would recommend you max a roth IRA if you're not already (yours and the wife if you're married).  Even if that means reducing your 401k contribution to max your roth IRA(s).
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

42 years old?  If so, you'll be set if you keep up those savings rates.  

I would do 100% stocks on everything at your age, esp. your 401k since that money is locked away until you're 60(so you've not concerned about short-term market downturns).
If you want some "safer" (ie. less volatile) investments consider those for your roth based on the logic that you can widthdraw your roth principal without penalty should the need arise(major medical incident, major life purchase, etc).

If you're putting that much into your 401k I would recommend you max a roth IRA if you're not already (yours and the wife if you're married).  Even if that means reducing your 401k contribution to max your roth IRA(s).
View Quote

I have 200k in my 401k currently. everything is in stocks index funds for my 401k.  Roth just got moved to VTI and VOO. my Roth is set to max out this year, every three months I true it up to get it on track if needed.

she has a Roth but we aren't going deep in it yet until we build up an emergency fund then we will start maxing hers out too
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 200k in my 401k currently. everything is in stocks index funds for my 401k.  Roth just got moved to VTI and VOO. my Roth is set to max out this year, every three months I true it up to get it on track if needed.

she has a Roth but we aren't going deep in it yet until we build up an emergency fund then we will start maxing hers out too
View Quote

When you say roth do you mean roth 401k or roth ira?  

If you keep your 401k in stocks it will roughly double every decade, so with no further contributions you're looking at $800k in your 401k around retirement age.  
That balance will become a problem because it will all be taxable when withdrawn and, making it worse, it will be subject to RMDs down the road which will force you to pay taxes even if you don't need to withdraw the money.  

If you are eligible, I would strongly recommend you max out a roth ira for you and the wife if you are eligible.  
If you have to reduce your 401k contributions to max out both roth IRAs you should do it.  

A roth IRA also has tax benefits for your beneficiary should you die that a 401k doesn't have.  
ie. you should get both(roth ira and pre-tax 401k).
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]

When you say roth do you mean roth 401k or roth ira?  

If you keep your 401k in stocks it will roughly double every decade, so with no further contributions you're looking at $800k in your 401k around retirement age.  
That balance will become a problem because it will all be taxable when withdrawn and, making it worse, it will be subject to RMDs down the road which will force you to pay taxes even if you don't need to withdraw the money.  

If you are eligible, I would strongly recommend you max out a roth ira for you and the wife if you are eligible.  
If you have to reduce your 401k contributions to max out both roth IRAs you should do it.  

A roth IRA also has tax benefits for your beneficiary should you die that a 401k doesn't have.  
ie. you should get both(roth ira and pre-tax 401k).
View Quote

roth ira.  

the 401 will hit 800k but that's not counting what im adding in. so it should be higher than that.  with two Roth IRAs being maxed out we should be pretty good

my 401k I only have set index funds that are 100% stock.  I picked the best 3 and split my money betwee them.  Roth IRA is in 75% VHI and 25% VOO
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#19]
Roth IRA is in 75% VHI and 25% VOO
View All Quotes
Roth IRA is in 75% VHI and 25% VOO

Why VTI and VOO?
Why not 100% VTI?

It is classified by JL Collins as "unimportant" but what do you think you are gaining by blending two funds that offer no significant diversification of results nor volatility?

Unimportant:

Whether you use a total stock market index fund or an S&P 500 index fund.
Both are broad-based, low-cost funds, which is what you want.
VFIAX is Vanguard’s S&P 500 index fund and it is more commonly found in 401k type plans than VTSAX. (Or the equivalents from other firms.)
I prefer VTSAX, because it holds some mid-cap and small-cap stocks as well as the 500 largest.
But because these funds are “cap-weighted” ~80% of VTSAX is made up of the S&P 500. If you track the performance of VTSAX v. VFIAX over 20 years the difference is tiny.
Jack Bogle held VFIAX until his death. Warren Buffett has it as the investment of choice for his heirs. If it is what you have, or what you prefer, you’ll be fine with it, too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#20]
she has a Roth .... then we will start maxing hers out too
View All Quotes
she has a Roth .... then we will start maxing hers out too

with two Roth IRAs being maxed out we should be pretty good

In the first post you say you are not maxing the wife's roth ira.  
In the second post you say you are maxing the wife's roth ira.

Not sure which is true, but what I'm saying is that I would max both roth IRAs before making any 401k contributions.
The reason for this is to give you flexibility down the road and reduce your future tax burden(because taxes are at historical lows right now and will only increase in the future).
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#21]
$1m. Personally I think you are selling your self short.
Depending how hard you go at this, use a spending plan and think in dollars and not percentages, you're capable of much much more.

Think bigger, time horizons and then milestones along the way.

We all should be thinking in a "Freedom Number" instead of our age.

My wife and I started the process about 10 years ago (I'm 48 and she's the same age as beyone).

Both wife and husband, dream in color.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#22]
but what I'm saying is that I would max both roth IRAs before making any 401k contributions.
View Quote

Since MOST 401k contributions have SOME kind of company match, I disagree with this.

The standard order of operations is:

1.  Contribute to the 401k plan up to the company match.
2.  Contribute to ROTH IRA
3.  Go back to the 401k, and contribute up to the elective deferral limit ($23,000 for 2024 plus $7500 catchup for over 50).

My investing order of operations:

1. Pay off all toxic debt (credit cards, high interest rates).
2. NEVER carry a balance on a credit card month to month.  This is called "paying the stupid tax".
3. Build an emergency fund of 6-12 months of *expenses* and keep it liquid, such as in a High Yield Savings Account (HYSA) or Money Market Fund (MMF)
4. Contribute to your 401k up to the company match maximum.
5. Contribute to an HSA if offered up to the maximum allowed.
6. If your 401k plan allows, contribute to a Mega Backdoor Roth. https://thecollegeinvestor.com/17561/understanding-the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira
7. If you do not have access to a Mega Backdoor Roth through your 401k, contribute to a ROTH IRA (unless income ineligible, then use Backdoor Roth IRA method. https://thecollegeinvestor.com/38006/how-to-do-a-backdoor-roth-ira  
8. Go back and finish contributing to the 401k plan, up to the maximum limit ($23,000 in 2024).
9. If offered a Company Stock plan (ESPP/ESOP) that gives you shares at a discount, AND you can sell immediately upon stock purchase, contribute the maximum amount to this program and sell each time.  You should participate in this regardless of any choices or order of operations above.  This runs in parallel to everything else.
10. Open a taxable brokerage account and begin investing here, and/or real estate, and/or side business.
11. Consider funding children's college in 529 plans or taxable brokerage account, or other state advantaged options.
12. Limit the amount of vehicle debt you carry, as vehicles can be one of the biggest barriers to building wealth as people believe they derive "happiness" from getting new vehicles often.

Invest all of these in a low fee Total US Equities Market index fund (if offered) or an S&P500 index fund, to start.  
DONT TOUCH it.  Just be steady and don't change, be careful who you listen to, and don't make emotion based moves into cash because what you just "know", likely is not so.

Recommended reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Path-Wealth-financial-independence/dp/1533667926
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119847672?tag=arfcom00-20
https://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Babylon-Original-Classics/dp/B0C1J5ML66
https://www.amazon.com/The-Millionaire-Next-Door-audiobook/dp/B0000547HR
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#23]

In the first post you say you are not maxing the wife's roth ira.  
In the second post you say you are maxing the wife's roth ira.

Not sure which is true, but what I'm saying is that I would max both roth IRAs before making any 401k contributions.
The reason for this is to give you flexibility down the road and reduce your future tax burden(because taxes are at historical lows right now and will only increase in the future).
View Quote

We will be maxing hers out once we save up an emergency fund
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
We will be maxing hers out once we save up an emergency fund
View Quote

You can withdraw the principal from a Roth IRA at any time without penalty.  
No need for a separate pot of taxable money to be an emergency fund.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
How old you are and your expected retirement age will play a roll here. Also how you have your total accounts structured.

Aged 55 and retire at 60? Your going to want to have a nest egg in some low volatility bonds in your total portfolio. Age 30 and expect to retire at 60, you can ride out volatility easily.

The structure of your total amount of retirement funds needs to be set up with some sort of bond blend in it. But it's as per your total, nit each account. If you want your 401k to have the bond portion while you yolo your ROTH account (due to the tax free nature), then have at it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

its a 10% penalty
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#27]
its a 10% penalty
View All Quotes
its a 10% penalty
There is no penalty for withdrawing principal from a Roth IRA at any time.  
The earnings may be taxable and may also be subject to a 10% penalty, but not principal.

https://www.fidelity.com/retirement-ira/roth-ira#faqs
Any amount you add to your Roth can be withdrawn without taxes or penalties, anytime for any reason.

Top Top