Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:59 AM EDT
How do you folks manage to smoke chicken and get the skin to be crispy instead of really hard and rubbery?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
How do you folks manage to smoke chicken and get the skin to be crispy instead of really hard and rubbery?
View Quote
I smoke them hard and fast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I smoke them hard and fast.
View Quote

Ive been doing 225 and turn it up to 400 in the last stages
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Dry, well salted skin. Put in fridge for an hour or so. Take out and pat dry. Smoke 250  time depends on the piece, I dont think you can overcook thighs. Crank smoker to 400 and go till you like it.

If im in a pinch, ill toss them in my airfryer toaster oven. You'll never get fried chicken skin on the smoker.

However, moisture is your enemy to crispy skin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

Dry, well salted skin. Put in fridge for an hour or so. Take out and pat dry. Smoke 250  time depends on the piece, I dont think you can overcook thighs. Crank smoker to 400 and go till you like it.

If im in a pinch, ill toss them in my airfryer toaster oven. You'll never get fried chicken skin on the smoker.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh yes you can.  The 2nd to last smoked chicken I did, I made the mistake of joy riding my RTV around; met a neighbor started talking to him, next thing I know, it's 45 minutes later.  Shit.  Burned the fuck out of the chicken.  Never did that before.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Maybe thats my problem? I kept smearing the skin with chiavettas as it was smoking which is mostly vinegar and water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Dry skin before smoking, then halfway through hit it with sprayable duck fat or beef tallow. Turn again a little later and spray the other side. I usually finish mine over direct heat for a minute or so just to get really crispy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Dry skin as mentioned... then I pull it out, hit it with spray butter, and put it under the broiler in the oven.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#8]
Schuey’s BBQ has a good video on crispy chicken smoked on the weber.  I followed his Chicken Spatchcock video last week and added a few extra thighs to the grill.  Was excellent.  I should have added the thighs to the cook 15-20min after the full chicken because they finished early.

The key takeaways is:

A) oil rub as a binder

B) a couple tsp of baking powder or cornstarch in your favorite rub

C) throw some oak cherry or hickory on the coals and cook 0:45-1:15 at 400+/-20 F until temps are reached (165 for breasts or 185 for legs/thighs).

I used two chunks of hickory on 3/4 full chimney of charcoal and the rub I used was:
2 Tsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Tsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Paprika
2 Tsp MSG
2 Tsp Corn Starch

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
I run chicken at 295-305 until done.  You are too cold.

I just did a half chikn on Saturday.  
Link Posted: Today 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Cook over coals.
Find some way to reverse flow or add fire brick under the chicken but over the smoke.

A reverse flow smoker approximates cooking over coals.  The chicken fat or rib fat drips on the hot steel and gives the effect.

Real bbq is cooked over coals.
Top Top